Modifying Bose UB-20 speaker mounts for use with other speakers DIY - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-06-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Modifying Bose UB-20 speaker mounts for use with other speakers DIY

Wanted to share this with everyone that is unhappy with the limited (quality)speaker mount options. I really like the finished look of the Bose UB-20 mounts, however they will only fit Bose speakers (#10-32 )mounting screw. Most other speakers with single screw mounts use a 1/4"-20 bolt. I bought one to test this modification and it worked great. Bose doesn't list a max speaker weight, but the mounts are aluminum and should hold up most small form speakers. I modified them to mount my Monoprice 5.1 premium speakers.

First step was to drill out the #10-32 hole to accept the 1/4"-20 bolt. I did this by starting with a 7/32" drill bit then going to a 15/64" bit and finally a 1/4" bit.

The mount is supplied with a shaft for ceiling mounting Bose speakers. I used the shaft to bring the speakers away from the wall to allow tilting. I didn't need the full length so used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut it down to 2 1/8". Make sure you wrap it to protect the paint and a new bolt will be needed based on your desired length. Bolt size I used was #12-24 x 2 1/2 and is not very common. I searched online and found only 1 home depot in my area that carried it.

The 3rd photo is the shaft after cutting. The tapering of the new flat head bolt was hitting the inner part of the shaft so I had to use my dremel to clear out some of the material.

After all that I put everything together using a tapered allen head bolt for the back of the speaker for easy tightening.

The speaker mount are very solid and look great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5430.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	249330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5437.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	249346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5451.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	249354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5445reduced.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	249370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5447.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	249378  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5454.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	249394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5444.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	249410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey I had a question about the screws for your mod. I know this has been a while since you posted but I was wondering if you knew what the smaller original screw size is with this mount. I see that you have the 4" screw but that is only if you need that extension. I was wondering about the small screw. I am looking for a replacement and can't find it anywhere.

BTW your mod looks great.

Thanks

Victor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
Bose , diy , speaker mount , ub-20

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page