JLDP and Ciar SU15/M1 Recliner Control Box Repair - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By hdtvluvr
  • 1 Post By hdtvluvr
  • 1 Post By Aaron Keller
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-01-2017, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
hdtvluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 77
JLDP and Ciar SU15/M1 Recliner Control Box Repair

Well, I searched for a replacement Control Box for my Berkline chairs. I found a "double" CIAR version at about $190 each. Then I found the JLDP here:
http://www.recliner-handles.com/repl...ift-chair.html

$90 each. I did order from them before I tried to fix mine. The one I received was dated 08/07 so maybe they are new old stock. Not sure.

Well, then I decided to see if I could fix mine. Found a replacement transformer for < $9 (https://www.zoro.com/white-rodgers-c...24/?q=90-T40F3). It is designed for 120, 208 and 240 volts. It has 4 input wires but only need 2. I could have gotten a 120V version only but it was $13. I can cut 2 wires and save $4. So a little work and I have a repaired one that I put on another chair that was also going bad. Will see if the issue is resolved.

See attached pdf for instructions.

Hope it helps someone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Control Box Fix - Reduced.pdf (388.2 KB, 402 views)
HT Geek and Jim Cutter like this.
hdtvluvr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,599
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Well, I searched for a replacement Control Box for my Berkline chairs. I found a "double" CIAR version at about $190 each. Then I found the JLDP here:
http://www.recliner-handles.com/repl...ift-chair.html

$90 each. I did order from them before I tried to fix mine. The one I received was dated 08/07 so maybe they are new old stock. Not sure.

Well, then I decided to see if I could fix mine. Found a replacement transformer for < $9 (https://www.zoro.com/white-rodgers-c...24/?q=90-T40F3). It is designed for 120, 208 and 240 volts. It has 4 input wires but only need 2. I could have gotten a 120V version only but it was $13. I can cut 2 wires and save $4. So a little work and I have a repaired one that I put on another chair that was also going bad. Will see if the issue is resolved.

See attached pdf for instructions.

Hope it helps someone.
DIY at its best. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-30-2018, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Black Banshee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You are the man! One of my Berkline recliners stopped working and I isolated it to the power box. Just ordered a transformer and will give this a try!

Thanks!
Black Banshee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 06-30-2018, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
hdtvluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Did you check the output voltage of the transformer? Should be 24v AC may be as high as 27. Also if your circuit board looks like mine be sure to check the large capacitor on the board for leakage or bulging. I had another controller go bad. I replaced the transformer and the capacitor (because it was leaking). Be aware, that the capacitor can contain enough voltage to hurt or kill you!

Take a screwdriver and short across the 2 terminals before touching or trying to remove the capacitor.

Check the specs on your capacitor. Mine was 2200uf 2200ufd/35V Volt. If I remember correctly, it was rated for 85 Deg C. I replaced it with one rated 105 deg C. The box gets warm and while no where near 85 C (185 F), the 105 C was not much different in price. Got the capacitors off of ebay. Be sure to get ones with long pins if you need to bend them 90 deg for the board. Also be sure to mark the board on the side of the capacitor that has the white stripe. New cap will go in same way.

Let me know if you are successful.
HT Geek likes this.
hdtvluvr is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-2020, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Well, I searched for a replacement Control Box for my Berkline chairs. I found a "double" CIAR version at about $190 each. Then I found the JLDP here:
http://www.recliner-handles.com/repl...ift-chair.html

$90 each. I did order from them before I tried to fix mine. The one I received was dated 08/07 so maybe they are new old stock. Not sure.

Well, then I decided to see if I could fix mine. Found a replacement transformer for < $9 (https://www.zoro.com/white-rodgers-c...24/?q=90-T40F3). It is designed for 120, 208 and 240 volts. It has 4 input wires but only need 2. I could have gotten a 120V version only but it was $13. I can cut 2 wires and save $4. So a little work and I have a repaired one that I put on another chair that was also going bad. Will see if the issue is resolved.

See attached pdf for instructions.

Hope it helps someone.
Thanks for this idea. Mine is the same as the 2nd box so I'll look at ordering one of these are trying this fix.

Theater Room - JVC RS2000, Dalite 148" Scope, Pioneer SC-65, Panasonic UB820, Energy APS 5+2(2), Energy AC 300(1), Energy CR-3(4), PSA 15"Sub(2)
Sports Room - JVC RS4810, Dalite 106" 16:9, Onkyo TX-SR875, Oppo BDP-103, Energy C-7(2) w/Energy S8.2(2), Energy C-C3(1) w/Energy S10.2(1), Energy CR-3(3), Energy S12.3
Jim Cutter is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-24-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
hdtvluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Take some pics and add them here. Be sure to check the capacitor too but short it as soon as you remove the circuit board for safety.


For any others following, the JLDP link above no longer works. The new link is JLDP Controller

If this link breaks, go to the link and then search on JLDP. The controller is the one for Electric Recliner and Lift Chair. Not the controller For Power Recliners Headrest & Recliner.

BTW, my repairs are still working. Keeping fingers crossed!!

EDIT
Here is a link to the capacitors with the same specs as mine except these are rated 105 deg C:
2200UF-35V-105-DEG-Radial-Capacitor
Check yours for bulging on the top silver area or leaking anywhere. Replace if either. Also, it can be bad without showing any signs so might as well just replace either way.

Last edited by hdtvluvr; 04-24-2020 at 08:51 AM.
hdtvluvr is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-24-2020, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Take some pics and add them here. Be sure to check the capacitor too but short it as soon as you remove the circuit board for safety.


For any others following, the JLDP link above no longer works. The new link is JLDP Controller

If this link breaks, go to the link and then search on JLDP. The controller is the one for Electric Recliner and Lift Chair. Not the controller For Power Recliners Headrest & Recliner.

BTW, my repairs are still working. Keeping fingers crossed!!

EDIT
Here is a link to the capacitors with the same specs as mine except these are rated 105 deg C:
2200UF-35V-105-DEG-Radial-Capacitor
Check yours for bulging on the top silver area or leaking anywhere. Replace if either. Also, it can be bad without showing any signs so might as well just replace either way.
I'll look at it closely. I ordered the part today for the fix. I'll need to pull out the box again from under the chair. The chair hasn't been plugged in for many months so the capacitor should be drained. I'll wait to oder the capacitors after I inspect the one in it now. That chair is not used much as only my son-in-law likes the far right seat when he comes over to see a movie.

Theater Room - JVC RS2000, Dalite 148" Scope, Pioneer SC-65, Panasonic UB820, Energy APS 5+2(2), Energy AC 300(1), Energy CR-3(4), PSA 15"Sub(2)
Sports Room - JVC RS4810, Dalite 106" 16:9, Onkyo TX-SR875, Oppo BDP-103, Energy C-7(2) w/Energy S8.2(2), Energy C-C3(1) w/Energy S10.2(1), Energy CR-3(3), Energy S12.3
Jim Cutter is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2020, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Lightbulb

My Berkline couch simply stopped working, and I determined it was the control box. I could not find any CIAR replacement (single or double), and any compatible JLDP that I found was either unavailable or out of stock. Mine is old enough it uses 2-pin motor connectors and RJ11 style switch connectors at the control box instead of at the motor.

So using the link suggested above I ordered a new transformer, installed it, and it immediately melted down as well. Each motor worked when connected directly to a battery, so I figured the board must be the problem, and I was back to not being able to find any compatible control box.

I considered replacing the entire kit: actuators, control box, and switches, but also couldn't find any actuators with the 470mm stroke of the ciar LM55 - not to mention it seemed silly (and expensive) to replace motors that weren't broken. So I decided to build my own control box.

The motors were rated at 24V, 5A. So I found a 24V 5A DC power supply that looked something like a laptop cord. And a 24V relay module with 4 relays like the old board. With just a little research on youtube for "How To Control Linear Actuators with DC Relays" I was able to create a new control board without even heating up a soldering iron.

I attached a picture of it, with everything connected but the switches. I attached the switch wires to a couple phone jacks I had lying around, checking continuity to determine which ports to use.

I also used two simple connection blocks, and a plastic project box to put it all inside. All told, even including the wasted transformer, the fix was under $65. Now my wife will have to put up with this couch for a few more years!

AVS won't let me post links, so here's a list of what I used - everything can be found on amazon.
-- ALITOVE AC 100-240V to DC 24V 5A Power Supply Adapter Converter ($20)
-- HiLetgo 4 Channel 24V Relay Module ($7)
-- MILAPEAK 5 Positions Dual Row 600V 15A Screw Terminal Strip Blocks with Cover ($12)
-- Project Box, Zulkit Junction box ($10)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200618_150920.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	2747522  
HT Geek likes this.
Aaron Keller is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,599
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Keller View Post
My Berkline couch simply stopped working, and I determined it was the control box. I could not find any CIAR replacement (single or double), and any compatible JLDP that I found was either unavailable or out of stock. Mine is old enough it uses 2-pin motor connectors and RJ11 style switch connectors at the control box instead of at the motor.
I'm very grateful to you for posting this!

2 of my Berkline control boxes are dead, and I haven't had time to deal with them. I was planning to replace the entire setup with different motors, but as you pointed out it's not a simple plug-and-play operation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,599
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Links:

I did not link the project box as it's kind of personal preference in terms of size and color.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
HT Geek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off