• 1 Post By BassThatHz
  • 2 Post By TuteTibiImperes

post #1 of 12 Old 10-07-2017, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Power Conditioner

Sorry, I could not find topic on where to post this, so thought this was as good of a place as any.

I am setting up my home theater and looking for recommendations on Power Conditioner.

I will have 7.2 system, HTPC, Epson Projector, Denon Receiver, Direct TV receiver, PS4 hooked up.

I am trying to find head to head tests but limited results. Seems Furman ranked higher than Panamex and cheaper. I am interested in surge protection but even more so interested in device that will best clean up my power to give better picture and audio results as my home seems to have fairly regular fluctuations.

I would like to keep my budget around $300 or less. I saw someone is selling Panamex M5400 for $300 which is a great deal but it is 2 yrs old. Kind of prefer new in the $300 range (though very open to pay less) unless some huge differences in high end that I am missing (with relation to picture and sound quality)

Any recommendations/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-07-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
Sorry, I could not find topic on where to post this, so thought this was as good of a place as any.

I am setting up my home theater and looking for recommendations on Power Conditioner.

I will have 7.2 system, HTPC, Epson Projector, Denon Receiver, Direct TV receiver, PS4 hooked up.

I am trying to find head to head tests but limited results. Seems Furman ranked higher than Panamex and cheaper. I am interested in surge protection but even more so interested in device that will best clean up my power to give better picture and audio results as my home seems to have fairly regular fluctuations.

I would like to keep my budget around $300 or less. I saw someone is selling Panamex M5400 for $300 which is a great deal but it is 2 yrs old. Kind of prefer new in the $300 range (though very open to pay less) unless some huge differences in high end that I am missing (with relation to picture and sound quality)

Any recommendations/suggestions?
You are going to get more negative responses than positive in regards to conditioning here.

I have a many years old Shunyata that I use. I don't really even pay attention to it any longer.

In your range and new you may be looking more along the lines of a higher quality strip. I was out of plugs yet again and just picked one of these up. Still boxed but it's heavy and seems well built and has sufficient number of outlets.

It's in your range and gets very.good reviews throughout the web. It won't break the bank.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGNPC8

Rick
post #3 of 12 Old 10-07-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
You are going to get more negative responses than positive in regards to conditioning here.

I have a many years old Shunyata that I use. I don't really even pay attention to it any longer.

In your range and new you may be looking more along the lines of a higher quality strip. I was out of plugs yet again and just picked one of these up. Still boxed but it's heavy and seems well built and has sufficient number of outlets.

It's in your range and gets very.good reviews throughout the web. It won't break the bank.

Rick
Thanks for the reply!

I tried to read about this online just now and can't find much info. What is out there says it cleans up signal and makes video and audio more crisp. How is that? Is it not just a surge protector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-07-2017, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Rick
Also, I can't find anywhere that this is also a surge protector
post #5 of 12 Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Any other thoughts on power conditioners?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-08-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Here's a current discussion on the topic that might provide some info

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-twe...nditioner.html

Personally, I use Furman products. Why? A locally respected installer used them for his personal set up. Since we live in a house built in 1925 with some existing knob and tube wiring, I felt I needed a solid performer for both protection and performance. My only other suggestion is a UPS unit with pure sine wave since you have a projector. I have both my projector and dvr plugged into the ups.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-10-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUNC83 View Post
Any other thoughts on power conditioners?
Generally speaking, if you have power issues, a power conditioner is not where you want to start. Begin the process of power quality investigation by looking for any problems with your electrical service such as grounding and bonding and check all of your outlets for proper polarity. Once these issues are resolved, then I recommend installation of a high quality surge suppressor at the main panel.

Rarely do I find that power conditioners or other devices are needed if the basic power system components are installed correctly, grounded and bonded.
dan4081 likes this.

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #8 of 12 Old 10-18-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
I use a Richard Gray Power Company Pro-400 for over 10 years now w/o issue.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 4263
Most double-online UPS's will correct as low as 40V RMS to as high as 140V RMS, while also offering OV/UV/PO immunity (more or less.)

That in combination with a UL-certified Type2 whole-house SPD should keep you "fairly safe" from everything up to 20,000volts and 20,000amps. (If not more...)

As the name suggests, it will provide basic protection for everything in the house. HVAC, fridge, stove, dryer, TV, high-power amplifiers etc etc etc.

Most amplifiers and DAC's these days don't require voltage regulation.
Many have universal SMPS's, sometimes even 80+ platinum PFC, or ones capable of 110vRMS +-15% at least...
Similarly, Class A/B/H amplifiers convert the incoming AC into DC, so it's gonna be totally cleaned up regardless.

Sure brownouts will "tax the power supplies", but only if you just happen to be drawing max-wattage during a brownout.
Like say 12a RMS out of 15a RMS, which is highly unlikely for anything but the largest subwoofers and HiFi monoblock amplifiers (which often have capacitor banks to protect against brief brownouts. )

If you are experiencing regular/sustained brownouts, then you should call an electrician for a general inspection/diagnostic of the house wiring and the pole transformer that is feeding the house. It could be inadequate or there could be a hazardous problem.

If they poco won't fix it, then that's when you buy a whole-house solar battery-array /w auto-transfer switch,
or this beast: http://www.furmanpower.com/product/3...-3600%20AR%20G
or this beast: https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-OL...dp/B0083TXNCM/
or this beast: https://www.amazon.com/HONEYWELL-STA...dp/B0088XUYM0/
Now we are talkin!

or in an extreme case, just sell and move.
Haiej likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 10-29-2017 at 09:45 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Here's a current discussion on the topic that might provide some info

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-twe...nditioner.html

Personally, I use Furman products. Why? A locally respected installer used them for his personal set up. Since we live in a house built in 1925 with some existing knob and tube wiring, I felt I needed a solid performer for both protection and performance. My only other suggestion is a UPS unit with pure sine wave since you have a projector. I have both my projector and dvr plugged into the ups.
I purchased a Furman PL-8C for my 2-channel setup based on good reviews and their use of SMP protection so the unit can keep on soldiering after absorbing power spikes instead of having to be replaced like MOV based units.

A few weeks ago my power was cutting in and out every couple of days due to line workers making repairs in the wake of Irma. I came home one day and noticed the Furman unit had gone into protect mode due to absorbing a power spike. I power cycled it to bring it back online and all of my gear still worked perfectly, so I'm very happy with it.
rboster and Haiej like this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #11 of 12 Old 05-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 3633
Doesn't look like much has changed on this scene as far as new product lines.

My second Monster Power HTS-5100MK2 failed this last week -- this one after 4 years. The first one outside of the 5 year warranty. Monster Power no longer makes power filtering units and I've read they just replace it with a $200 surge protector under warranty (not interested in using just a surge protector with no 12volt switch). I don't know what happened to it, but it does nothing, no lights, no screen, nothing.

I too value these units and I would prefer they take the incoming hits for any voltage fluctuations rather my expensive home theater equipment.

I also value the 12v switched auto turn on and turn off with my AVR trigger that these provide. When I turn on and off my AVR via the remote, it turns everything else on and off with the AVR - except the few things I have on an unswitched outlet (PS4, thermal controlled cooling fan, etc)

I'm on the prowl for a new conditioner. $300 is my target. Not pretty, but it has good reviews and would seem to do what I want.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBF08Q...&pd_rd_w=IvE3T

Any other suggestions for products I might have missed?

Preferably - conditioners, rack mounted, with 12Volt switching.

I found this video on youtube where the repairman replaced the transformer on a Monster Power HTS 5100MK2 to fix it. I may take it to a local repair shop and see if they can fix it, if it's something fairly cheap/simple/flexible like that.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #12 of 12 Old 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 3633
Here's a few models I encountered in my searching.

My preference is to have Power conditioning, Turn on Delays, 12 Volt Trigger for switched outlets, and Rack mount.

Pyle (ughhh I know - but good reviews) - $135
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PS900-Co...rds=Pyle+PS900

APC H15BLK - $252
https://www.amazon.com/APC-H15BLK-12...rds=APC+H15BLK

Panamax MR5100 - $330
https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR510...eywords=MR5100

Panamax MR5400-PM - $500
https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M5400...s=Panamax+5400

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page