Intelligent door chime over Whole House Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-04-2018, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Intelligent door chime over Whole House Audio

Hi all,

Got an interesting though here, and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it.

I'm doing a project with an integrated 12 ch 6 Zone whole house amp. It is one one of those fairly generic Dayton audio ones. Now the amp has a separate paging input with a 12v trigger too.

I want to install a Ring Elite at the front door for deliveries and call routing when people are out. This is easy enough as it's PoE (heard dodgy things about the WiFi models). Now assuming I also acquire a ring door chime, how can I modify this to route the chime through the whole home amplifier?

any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Niles, Doorbell Fon and Russound all make a door bell interface of some kind. Probably more than you were intending on spending? Keep an eye on Ebay. I may also have a door bell card in work van for a Russound Compoint Doorbell install from a few years ago (NIB)?
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product/do...chimes-FG01613
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioplus93 View Post
Niles, Doorbell Fon and Russound all make a door bell interface of some kind. Probably more than you were intending on spending? Keep an eye on Ebay. I may also have a door bell card in work van for a Russound Compoint Doorbell install from a few years ago (NIB)?
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product/do...chimes-FG01613
Thanks for your response, I think I was being a little over-ambitious trying to get that to work.

Likely I'll fall back on a Doorbird for the same cash as one of those interfaces, but with the added bonus of video. I could probably hack the Doorbird 'Chime' box and take a voltage trigger from that into the audio system, along with a mini microphone or something.

e.g. Doorboord pressed, Signal sent to the Chime, 12v trigger to WHA system, which switches input and turns on microphone. chime sounds.

hahaha, so convoluted, but i enjoy a unique challenge. wither that or forgo the who input over built in speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 487
The easiest solution would be to open up the chime and tap into the speaker to get the audio output. You could then feed this (through a volume control, if necessary) into an "always on" input in the amplifier.

While you have the chime open, it should be pretty easy to use a multi-meter to figure out if there is anywhere on the circuit with a trigger voltage that could be used to trigger the paging input.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
Thanks for your response, I think I was being a little over-ambitious trying to get that to work.

Likely I'll fall back on a Doorbird for the same cash as one of those interfaces, but with the added bonus of video. I could probably hack the Doorbird 'Chime' box and take a voltage trigger from that into the audio system, along with a mini microphone or something.

e.g. Doorboord pressed, Signal sent to the Chime, 12v trigger to WHA system, which switches input and turns on microphone. chime sounds.

hahaha, so convoluted, but i enjoy a unique challenge. wither that or forgo the who input over built in speakers
I know for fact that the D201, D2101V have a contact closure chime output, I'm pretty sure the D101 does too. In that case, all you need is to use that to feed the 12V trigger and then get a chime module, remove the speaker put a little resistor on there and feed it into the audio input. Seems like it would work. The Doorbird is really an excellent product, you'll really like it. Camera is not ONVIF too, bit rate is too high, but there's still an available MJPEG stream for even further diy capabilities.

The chimes are like $150 and you can probably get a Niles DBI-2 for less than $300 which would generate and DELAY the chime so that it actually worked right. Might be something cheaper than the niles that does the same thing, it's just what I've always used.

Let us know what you did, good luck!

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #6 of 10 Old 07-06-2018, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, an update.

I decided to forgo doorbird at the moment for a number of reasons, mainly tinkering involved to get it to work right, and complexity.
To be honest, as cool as a video doorbell is; I’d rather sacrifice this for practicality right now.

I ended up just going with a simple illuminated push button doorbell to the niles interface.

There’s going to be a CAT cable there for future adjustments.

Still not installed yet, but it eliminates a lot of potential headaches.

I will be travelling to the site next month, and overseeing first fix, including building the AV rack.

I will probably upload some photos and video on my main thread when I’m there!

Keep an eye out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

After much thinking and back and forth, I’ve decided to go down this route.

Install a standard push button and wire back to a Niles DBI-2 for the front and back doors, triggering a Monoprice amp on the paging input.

In the future, I may switch over to a Nest doorbell as I like the product a lot. This can also use the paging input, but with the added functionality of video and announcement broadcast to google home/mini/video

post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
After much thinking and back and forth, I’ve decided to go down this route.

Install a standard push button and wire back to a Niles DBI-2 for the front and back doors, triggering a Monoprice amp on the paging input.

In the future, I may switch over to a Nest doorbell as I like the product a lot. This can also use the paging input, but with the added functionality of video and announcement broadcast to google home/mini/video

Piece of cake if you already have a Vantage home automation system and the Digital Audio Amplifier 850D-DA
It has this exact feature and can play a chime recording of your choice on any or all of the 8-channel speakers.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-19-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Pretty much easy with any decent automation system.
Step 1 is to detect that the doorbell was pushed. This is determined by the doorbell brand. The simplest is just a standard contact closure switch. This electrical contact then triggers a global cache Flex.
Step 2 is to create a macro that switches the audio system to play the audio clip to the correct zone(s) and to trigger an audio renderer to play the audio file to the output.
Step 3 is to tie it all together by setting a trigger action. The Flex contact sensor is the trigger. Playing a particular audio file is the action by invoking the macro.

The detail of the above is determined by the automation system that will be used.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Niles Doorbell Interface and Doorbell Camera

I am a newby and I am an amateur AV enthusiast. That said, the home I purchased already had a Niles Doorbell interface installed (DBI-1). I wanted a doorbell camera and purchased a Night Owl WM -WDB2 unit. I did not think it would be too difficult to install. Boy was I wrong. I then scoured the internet looking for help and there is really thong out there save this forum and a few others with any help. That being said, I found a solution and wanted to post it in case someone else comes along with the same problem. From extensive readings online I have determined that the Night Owl camera is very similar to the other major Doorbell cameras on the market.

I purchased a cheap doorbell kit at home depot. Transformed not included with the doorbell and purchased separately. I have uploaded a hand drawn schematic of the wiring scheme. Doorbell is a Hampton Bay Wired/Wireless Doorbell 1003-008-637. Transformer is a Hampton Bay HB-122-03 16 volt 10 amp transformer. You need to AC plugs, for both the Niles unit and the transformer. I wired the Hampton doorbell kit per instructions in the box. The transformer supplies power to the camera. The key that I found by accident is to hook the Niles inputs to the front and rear screws into the 3-30 volt trigger inputs into the Niles unit. Also the included power amp should connect to the front and trans screws on the Hampton doorbell unit. The camera software should be set on digital chime.

I hope this is helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Night Owl doorbell camera wiring schematic.pdf (110.5 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page