Help.. so lost trying to pick out a line conditioner.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2018, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Help.. so lost trying to pick out a line conditioner..

Recently redid my audio room.. it's nothing crazy but I do want to protect my yamaha reciever, media server, and subwoofer. The projector is so far in the back of the room ill have to find another solution. My house is known to have some dirt power but for whatever reason I don't think I notice anything odd in my media room. That said.. I have read these devices can make a difference. I have also read they can create noise as well. The power strip from Monster I have now kinda gets in the way so I would prefer something more shelf mount. I have been looking at furman and panamax. Trying to keep the budget under $500. I do need it to have surge protection as well. I also have a whole house surge protector going in. What kinda makes me lost is how these talk about cleaning up the power but fail to regulate it. Most allow + or - 7v swings in output. Not sure how much of this truly matters as I imagine the equipment is built to take this. I just want a quality product that works... Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-03-2018, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I’ll let others address the line conditioning and surge protection, but voltage regulators are pretty expensive. And even then +/- 5 volts is about the best they can do.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright28 View Post
Anyone?
You'll get a lot of mixed reviews about whether conditioners help or not. Some add noise others don't etc... I own a Panamax 7500 Pro- picked up 14 yrs ago. I notice no difference in the sound but it does provide decent regulation +/-5 I think, which is better than most. The only problem with this unit is that it has an obnoxious fan that is always on. If it is in a closed box-- so you can't hear it, great--I'll use it in my HT closet, but if not I wouldn't try getting one used. I will be replacing the 7500Pro with an AudioQuests Niagra 1000. I'm skeptical, but it does protect from surges and haven't heard any bad reviews on it (from people that think conditioners are not BS). Some will say all conditions don't help, others that say they help-- seem to like this one. It is above your price range but still cheaper than many of them. Look it up and see what you think--but this is what I'm getting next. Just my HO--I only responded since no one else would.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
A Full-Time UPS is the ONLY effective way to provide REGULATED Voltage: Input AC drives AC/DC Inverter, which is always recharging Battery Pack, from which the DC/AC Inverter provides REGULATED AC Voltage that is TOTALLY IMMUNE to THE GRID AC Power Fluctuations....until Battery Pack is discharged.

HEFTY, HEFTY UPS cost lots of $$$$'s, but may be a much better investment if an integral part of a HOME Solar Array and Battery Package...where Home Theater Circuit ALWAYS runs off DC/AC Inverter connected to HOME Battery Pack....and perhaps WITHOUT fallback to THE GRID???

PS: Many (most???) Home Solar Array systems do NOT include the extra cost Battery Pack (such as Tesla's Power Wall), so they only reduce running cost by "selling" excess Home Grown Power to THE GRID [so install as many solar panels as possible]....whereas with the optional Battery Pack, you can nearly ALWAYS run your Home off the Battery and no longer have to pay THE GRID when Solar Array production is negligible...and at night:
https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

BTW: You likely "need" TWO Power Walls, bearing in mind that over time they pay for themselves....and redundancy is always a "good thing", so no impact when/if one of the Power Walls needs to be replaced.

Last edited by holl_ands; 12-19-2018 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
get homeowners/rental insurance

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #7 of 8 Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright28 View Post
Recently redid my audio room.. it's nothing crazy but I do want to protect my yamaha reciever, media server, and subwoofer. The projector is so far in the back of the room ill have to find another solution. My house is known to have some dirt power but for whatever reason I don't think I notice anything odd in my media room. That said.. I have read these devices can make a difference. I have also read they can create noise as well. The power strip from Monster I have now kinda gets in the way so I would prefer something more shelf mount. I have been looking at furman and panamax. Trying to keep the budget under $500. I do need it to have surge protection as well. I also have a whole house surge protector going in. What kinda makes me lost is how these talk about cleaning up the power but fail to regulate it. Most allow + or - 7v swings in output. Not sure how much of this truly matters as I imagine the equipment is built to take this. I just want a quality product that works... Thank you for any advice.
The majority of folks do not need power quality improvement....they require a properly installed power service with a properly installed ground system solidly bonded to the neutral in the panel. Your electronics will easily handle a seven volt swing. I guarantee that you have that kind of voltage swing from daytime voltage magnitudes to nighttime voltage magnitudes. You are going in the right direction with installation of a whole house surge suppressor, the next thing would be to have your panel and grounding looked at to make sure the connections are correct and tight.

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #8 of 8 Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
PS: Avoid UPS Types that Passively Monitor Power and ONLY switches over to Battery Power AFTER a GLITCH has been detected...which may be TOO LATE, Damage has already occurred....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page