12V trigger for Onkyo TX-NR809>Rotel RMB-1095 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBobb
  • 2 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 9 Old 02-22-2019, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
12V trigger for Onkyo TX-NR809>Rotel RMB-1095

Hi everyone!

- - - - -
TLDR; need a way to power the amp on/off with my receiver without using a programmable remote AND without disabling CEC on the receiver.

Long version follows.
- - - - -

I recently sold my Marantz AV7704mkii to save up to buy a house. Missing the surround sound experience, I picked up a TX-NR809 on the cheap (with zero issues - lucky). Having owned a NR809 years back, I knew it lacked masculinity in the "all channels driven" department. I bought this receiver knowing I would count on the Rotel RMB-1095 to grab my speakers by the balls & lift them up in the air. The NR809's only purpose is to receive audio via ARC from the TV because my devices are 4K HDR and are connected directly to the TV. I didn't realize until after acquiring this receiver that the 12V trigger outs are for Zone 2 and 3, no trigger for the main preouts.

Thanks Onkyo.

Live TV streaming & VoD on a Apple TV 4k is the primary use of the living room. I have my equipment configured with CEC so that when we turn on the Apple TV 4k, the TV and Onkyo turns on and off with it (standby: Onkyo). It needs to stay this way because it's simple for my wife to use the little Apple TV remote to turn everything on/off when she's in control of the living room...I mean when she's home and awake. The Rotel is the only equipment requiring my wife's attention when and I prefer that it be turned off when not in use.

I came across 3 Onkyo NR809 12V trigger posts on this site that covered 3 areas:

1.) someone couldn't use Z2 trigger out with their connected amp because they used Z2 for patio speakers.

I don't use Z2 or Z3. I was able to connect the amp to Z2 and it keeps the amp on. However, when the Apple TV goes into standby and takes the TV and Onkyo down with it, the Rotel doesn't turn off. I can see Z2 lit up on the Onkyo's display. I don't know what to do about this, so I disabled trigger in on the amp for now.

2.) a smart strip didn't work for another OP because they used CEC and their receiver never fully shuts off. This scenario prevented the amp from turning off when the receiver went into standby.

I don't want my receiver turning all the way off if the Apple TV won't be able to power it on/off along with the TV.

3.) someone advised an OP to use a Harmony remote and program Z2 as something that brings the amp on/off with the receiver.

My wife is used to using the little touchpad thingy to navigate the Apple TV. I don't remember the last time we've had to use another remote for any reason at all. I prefer not to present my wife with another remote to use.

In your opinion, what is the best course of action to get my amp to turn on/off with the receiver without having to

- use a new remote?
- turn the receiver all the way off?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Emotiva sells a 3-out 12v trigger, not sure if it fits you. Didn't read your whole winded post, aversion to verbose.
markmon1 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-28-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5486 Post(s)
Liked: 3576
@_NERD I think for your situation a simple smart power strip would do fine. You aren't running enough power for it to be too much for it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PUDQK
Just plug receiver into the blue, the amp into one of the green. When receiver is running amp comes on when receiver powers off, amp goes off.
_NERD and HunterG like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2019, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
@_NERD I think for your situation a simple smart power strip would do fine. You aren't running enough power for it to be too much for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PUDQK

Just plug receiver into the blue, the amp into one of the green. When receiver is running amp comes on when receiver powers off, amp goes off.

Thanks so much. I ordered one it’ll be here any day. If the receiver goes into standby and not powered off, will the amp still turn off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _NERD View Post
Thanks so much. I ordered one it’ll be here any day. If the receiver goes into standby and not powered off, will the amp still turn off?
Yea, I use something like this for my receiver to kill my amps. Most of these have a sensitivity screw where if it doesn't trigger on or off properly you can adjust it to be more or less sensitive. Your receiver should definitely have a difference in power usage in standby vs full on. If you ever get like a laptop fan for the top of your receiver you can plug it in and control it with this the same way.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2019, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea, I use something like this for my receiver to kill my amps. Most of these have a sensitivity screw where if it doesn't trigger on or off properly you can adjust it to be more or less sensitive. Your receiver should definitely have a difference in power usage in standby vs full on. If you ever get like a laptop fan for the top of your receiver you can plug it in and control it with this the same way.
Thank you for sharing. The Smart Strip arrived today. As expected it doesn't turn the amp off with HDMI control enabled. The moment I disabled HDMI Control, the amp turned off with the 809. I felt floored when I enabled it and the amp wouldn't turn off when the receiver goes into standby.

Where would I plug in the laptop fan, and where is the sensitivity screw located? I really want the amp to turn off while the receiver is in Standby.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2019, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _NERD View Post
Thank you for sharing. The Smart Strip arrived today. As expected it doesn't turn the amp off with HDMI control enabled. The moment I disabled HDMI Control, the amp turned off with the 809. I felt floored when I enabled it and the amp wouldn't turn off when the receiver goes into standby.

Where would I plug in the laptop fan, and where is the sensitivity screw located? I really want the amp to turn off while the receiver is in Standby.
There are tons of brands of smart power strips like that. Some have sensitivity adjustments and some don't. What does HDMI control do for you? If enabling that makes a difference it means your receiver is drawing a lot of power when in standby, so much that it doesn't even trip the power threshold on that strip. If you were going to do a laptop fan you'd just plug it in to another one of the controlled sockets.

These ones have a threshold switch but not the adjustable knob:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPDYYSM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6VTIDG

These use to be all over the place, now it seems they're hard to find.
_NERD likes this.

Last edited by markmon1; 03-03-2019 at 12:13 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are tons of brands of smart power strips like that. Some have sensitivity adjustments and some don't. What does HDMI control do for you? If enabling that makes a difference it means your receiver is drawing a lot of power when in standby, so much that it doesn't even trip the power threshold on that strip. If you were going to do a laptop fan you'd just plug it in to another one of the controlled sockets.

These ones have a threshold switch but not the adjustable knob:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPDYYSM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6VTIDG

These use to be all over the place, now it seems they're hard to find.

Thanks so much. I have the following

Smart Strip BIT-LCG3M-10 Energy Saving Smart Surge Protector | UPC: 855883000032

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	2533996

post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

To follow up:

I fell asleep this morning while watching tv. I think Hulu May have asked “Are you still watching” while I was asleep. And when I didn’t respond, the Apple TV 4K went to sleep, putting the TV and 809 to sleep. I woke up wondering why everything was off so used the Apple TV remote to turn on the tv and receiver and while walking to the Rotel to turn it on it’s just turned on by itself.

Omg the smart strip works!

It just takes a while for it to turn off I guess, once the Onkyo goes into standy. I must’ve expected the amp to turn off instantly when the 809 goes into standby. So hdmi control works with the smart strip. I just tested it right now (while I’m awake hehe), and the Onkyo makes a clicking sound about 45-60 seconds after going into standby, and the Rotel turns off at the same time.

Good thing I left the smart strip connected to the components. Apparently I was impatient.

Case Closed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Tags
12v trigger , rmb-1095 , Tx-NR809

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page