Solution for server in closet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
tdx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Solution for server in closet?

Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading my HT and finally installing proper surround speakers. This will be great but it also means my big, noisy file server has to be moved out of the living room. I have a walk in closet adjacent to that room that would be perfect to put it in. However the doors of that closet open towards the hallway and not towards the living room.

I'm trying to figure out what the best solution would be for me to put the server in the closet and then run one Ethernet and one HDMI cable from it to my TV.

Should I try to drill a hole in the wall (don't want to do too much damage and walls look thick). Or should I try to run the cables along the wall from under the closet door all the way to the TV?

Would love some advice, have never done this before.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You are using your file server as a player / renderer for the projector? ie: the need for an HDMI cable to be run from server to projector...

Typically a file server is only that.
And a player can be silent and located right with the projector with a short HDMI connecting. The file server and player only need to be ethernet connected (including via WiFi).
You can use a Nvidia Shield as a player (one example of hundreds).

Either way, drill the right sized hole, put a trim ring on the hole, put your cables in and enjoy.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
tdx

It's a combo file server/media player. That's why I need to pull both ethernet and HDMI.

I agree making a hole and running wires through the wall would be most practical.

How involved is it to make a hole through a thick wall? It's a regular apartment wall but have no idea what equipment is needed to do that. Just a regular drill?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Best is to post a pic of what your situation is.
But, to cut a hole in drywall:

Ensure that there is no stud behind where you want to drill. You can use a "Stud finder" (Home Depot) to find the studs. Typically they are 16 inches apart from each other, most always parallel to each other floor to ceiling.

Use a long bit that is smaller diameter than the hole saw pilot bit to drill through the wall one side to the other. This will locate the holes with respect to each other. This isn't a critical step as you can measure one hole relative to the other.
Use a wood or metal hole saw (home depot) to drill through the first layer of the drywall. Choose a hole saw that will fit the HDMI cable end minimum.
Use the hole saw to drill the second layer of the drywall (assuming you can access both sides of the wall) using the pilot hole you drilled earlier.

If you are going to use a trim ring, buy it and use that to size the hole saw.
once the holes are drilled, install the trim ring.
Put your wires in the hole (HDMI first, ethernet second) and run your wires, plug in and enjoy.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
tdx

Thanks so much. I'll look into all this and decide.

Interesting project, will learn a lot!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Is your apartment going to be cool with you drilling a hole in the wall? I know our old one was okay with hanging stuff on the wall, but cutting a medium size hole into the closet is a bit more intrusive.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Uhh, how much heat does this thing generate? You may find that it gets mighty warm in a closet. Excessive heat is bad for servers. I have a small 3 drive toaster like server with 22 tb and it's pretty noisy despite running a low power cpu. I should really have it down in the basement.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
tdx

Yeah I've asked already they're fine. What Im a little worried though is that this being a closed closet (large one but still) the server might not get enough ventilation. I have about 12 fans in the case (it's a really big server case) but there are also 15 hard drives in there (5400RPM). So I'm trying to see if that will be an issue or not, since the server will be on 24/7.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Holy smokes, that's the real deal. Just leave the door open/cracked when it's hot in the apartment and you should be fine.

Out of curiosity, how many tb and how is it set up, raid? I'm just running with ntfs disks, it's pretty static so I don't backup often. The stuff I care about is on ssd.

I replace the drives every couple of years as I find deals. So going from 13 to 22 tb cost about $550, about the same as the 13tb cost when I got it.

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 03-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
tdx

I have about 110TB spread across a combination of 10TB and 8TB drives... Set up in Raid 5 with Snapraid/Drivepool. Tried Unraid wasn't for me...
post #11 of 13 Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 108
For a closet with no vents, this is the easiest, but vent may transmit some noise if close by.

I separate my file server and my player. Player can be a fanless box (my sig) next to the TV negating the need for a long HDMI cable, and all the server needs is power and ethernet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosetAir.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	2543440  

Last edited by MrBobb; 03-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-28-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Many homes I have seen under construction have electrical cables running horizontally, vertically and diagonally within the walls.

Random drilling through a wall has a low but real probability of very shocking results.

I turn a light on for every circuit that services close to where I an drilling. My stud / metal finder has an AC alert when you are near a wire.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #13 of 13 Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
Many homes I have seen under construction have electrical cables running horizontally, vertically and diagonally within the walls.

Random drilling through a wall has a low but real probability of very shocking results.

I turn a light on for every circuit that services close to where I an drilling. My stud / metal finder has an AC alert when you are near a wire.
I hit a coolant line for an central air unit in our first apartment. Hit it with an 1.25" brad. Thought I was in a a stud, hit the hammer a little bit harder . . .

Coolant and oil SPRAYING out of the wall. Apparently the line was run directly on the drywall. What a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page