Alexa and Whole Home Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alexa and Whole Home Audio

Ok I'm building a new home and want to install ceiling speakers throughout the house ,looking at 8 zones total. with 7 zones at two speakers each and one zone with 4 speakers I want to be able to tell alexa to play music in one zone that im in and allow someone else to be able to tell alexa to play music in whatever zone they are in , different songs in each zone, and i also want to be able to play the same song throughout the whole house when i want . I have echos for each zones. I would run speaker wires myself and cat 5 to wall panels if needed but i need help with this . and yes it has to be alexa controlled my wifes decision not mine..please give device suggestions or let me know if this is possible .Im looking for something other than sonos . please be specific as to what i need to accomplish this . thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 86
post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If the music services provided by Amazon are sufficient for you then I would simply buy an echo dot to act as a source for each room and then connect them via the line out to a multi zone amplifier like this one https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31028 You would name each dot source the room it outputs to in the Amazon app and control them with the echo dot physically located in the room. For example, you would name the dot plugged into the zone powering the living room “living room” and then tell Alexa to play Pandora in the living room and it would play to the living room. You just need to make sure you remember the right name for each zone you have set up in the Alexa app. For critical listening the echo’s line out might not be sufficient but for background music it is more than good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-10-2019, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
If the music services provided by Amazon are sufficient for you then I would simply buy an echo dot to act as a source for each room and then connect them via the line out to a multi zone amplifier like this one https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31028 You would name each dot source the room it outputs to in the Amazon app and control them with the echo dot physically located in the room. For example, you would name the dot plugged into the zone powering the living room “living room” and then tell Alexa to play Pandora in the living room and it would play to the living room. You just need to make sure you remember the right name for each zone you have set up in the Alexa app. For critical listening the echo’s line out might not be sufficient but for background music it is more than good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the most clever implementation I have seen involving Echo and a multi-zone amp solution, thank you for sharing.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I was surprised at how good the little Echos sound. They would be OK for general listening at normal levels. They may also be good as a source for external amp and speakers. Wireless/bluetooth connections, mini-stereo plug out to amp. The Dot also has line out, so would be a less expensive option than the Echo as a source.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
This is the most clever implementation I have seen involving Echo and a multi-zone amp solution, thank you for sharing.
I'm late to the party on this thread, but the echo's also allow grouping of devices. So you can have each one named for it's zone, as well as groups named for example "everywhere, downstairs, upstairs, living spaces" etc. Each device can be a member of more than one zone.

It really works quite well. We have been using four echo dots for a while seeing how this works and whether we would want to expand it for our new house build. Thumbs up.

Also remember that if you don't specify where to play something it defaults to itself. So if you're in the kitchen you can just say "play jazz". Or "play jazz in the master bedroom". Or "play jazz downstairs". Or "play jazz everywhere".

And don't forget the "announce" feature. When you have multiple devices with unique names and groups as described, you can specify where to announce your message just as you can where to play music.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That sounds absolutely gorgeous!
I was thinking about settingup multiple echo dots at home.
Good to hear it works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page