Recommendation for good HDMI 2.1 cables? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-01-2019, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Recommendation for good HDMI 2.1 cables?

I know there are HDMI 2.1 cables for several thousand dollars and I do not think that is necessary. I have no idea what is a good HDMI 2.1 cable. Although I got some at Walmart cheap and they suffered dropouts ETC. I was wondering if anyone could please point me in the right direction? Preferably on Amazon but it does not have to be. These must handle 48GBPS for real of course. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3573 Post(s)
Liked: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
I know there are HDMI 2.1 cables for several thousand dollars and I do not think that is necessary. I have no idea what is a good HDMI 2.1 cable. Although I got some at Walmart cheap and they suffered dropouts ETC. I was wondering if anyone could please point me in the right direction? Preferably on Amazon but it does not have to be. These must handle 48GBPS for real of course. Thank you
No such thing as an "HDMI 2.1" cable, or an "HDMI 2.0" cable for that matter. If you find a cable that is marketed that way, it's b.s. The cables will eventually be marketed as "Ultra High Speed HDMI" cables once the testing has been completed and independently approved. For an HDMI cable to be able to handle fully compliant HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications, it will probably be a hybrid fiber cable and, depending on the length of your cable run, expensive. There are lots of cable mfrs selling "ultra" HDMI cables but none of them have been independently verified. The marketeers are in full swing now with slick marketing and carefully worded claims.

The Ultra designation will be used for certified 48Gbps cable to separate them from the currently certified Premium 18Gbps cables. The Premium cables are passive and come with a QR label for authenticity. There are no HDMI.org approved certification programs yet for the Ultra cables because they will be active cables and HDMI.org does not allow for active cables to be certified, yet. Besides, there aren't any consumer devices yet that can deliver 48Gbps fully compliant HDMI 2.1. That's one of the problems right now with certifying the cables.

If you have HDMI-related questions you should post them in the HDMI forum and not here.

How long is your cable run?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 08-01-2019 at 07:06 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thank you. 4 feet will be enough. You are correct that I do not require 2.1 yet but since my TV can support it I would like to get them ASAP. I thought this was the right forum, my bad sorry. On that note, cannot trust Monster or Audioquest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3573 Post(s)
Liked: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
Thank you. 4 feet will be enough. You are correct that I do not require 2.1 yet but since my TV can support it I would like to get them ASAP. I thought this was the right forum, my bad sorry. On that note, cannot trust Monster or Audioquest!
Monster and AudioQuest are the kings of marketing and hype. There are cables just as good as theirs for considerably less cost. At present, the best cable to purchase, especially at your length is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with QR label). Supporting HDMI 2.1 is totally different than fully compliant HDMI 2.1. eARC and VRR and HDMI 2.1 options that are available now and some HDMI 2.0 chipsets can be updated for those options. That would make them "HDMI 2.1 supported" but it is a far cry from fully compliant. Even if your tv is fully compliant, there's no source material to take advantage of those options, yet. At 4', it sounds like changing your cables would be very easy so just go with the Premium cables for now and once source material, compatible HDMI 2.1 chipsets are the norm, then upgrade to a cable that has been tested and certified for the HDMI 2.1 hardware options. Just keep in mind that both source and sink will need to have the same versions of the HDMI 2.1 chipsets to take full advantage of all that HDMI 2.1 has to offer. It's still all smoke and mirrors with HDMI 2.1 but it is starting to clear up a bit.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page