need help guys - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need help guys

i hope i'm in the right place. i live in phila. pa and have direct tv.i don't know how to hook up antenna. we lost channel 3 and my wife wants it back. i bought a hdtv indoor antenna. and a splitter.i have the cable from the satalite screwed in back of cable box and i have a cable from tv to second out on cable box. where do i put antenna cable. thanks for any help.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_223549_HDR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2600350[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_223633_HDR.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	2600348  

Last edited by cuz24; 08-07-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3573 Post(s)
Liked: 2572
^^^^ The indoor antenna needs to be connected directly to the tv (if it has a built-in ATSC tuner, which most still do). The antenna would be connected to the ANT/CABLE input on the tv or however it is labeled. You probably need a simple A/B switch to select which source you wanted to use (antenna or satellite) being as you only have one input on the tv to connect the coaxial antenna cable to. Once the antenna source is connected, you need to tell your tv that the source is antenna and then have it scan for the local stations. Your tv should be able to keep track of the stations you selected so once you switch your source back to satellite, and then back to antenna, your favorite local stations should still be there.

If your satellite box has an HDMI output you could use that to connect to an HDMI input on your tv which would then leave the ANT/Cable input free so you wouldn't need a switch. All you have to do then is tell the tv which input to use, antenna or HDMI (satellite). For example, we have cable and the cable box uses an HDMI connection to the receiver and then to the tv. The ANT/Cable coax input on the tv is not used.

Keep in mind that indoor antennas can have serious limitations as far as reception goes depending on where it is pointed (the transmission towers), how high up it is, building interferences, etc).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

tv

pics work now. i guess i should have said i have a sony xbr 65950b tv that i got in 2015. i do have hdmi. i guess i am just confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Assuming your DTV box is connected via HDMI, all you need to to is connect the coax from your antenna directly to the ANT port on the back of your TV. You probably then need to do a channel scan to find all the channels now available to you via OTA then use the turner on the TV to watch the OTA channels.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

ok so coax cable from tv to directv box, i don't need so i put the antenna cable where the tv one is correct.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz24 View Post
ok so coax cable from tv to directv box, i don't need so i put the antenna cable where the tv one is correct.
Go back and re-read my post #2 . If you still want to use your DTV box for those channels then just leave it connected via HDMI to your tv. The antenna will have a coax cable that you need to connect to the ANT/Cable input on the tv. I should add that audio for the antenna will be thru your tv's speakers unless you run an optical cable from the the tv to your receiver or whatever your external audio source is. You will have to manually select which input you want to use on your tv and possibly receiver when you want to watch OTA television or DirecTV.

That's an old tv. DirecTV box to the HDMI input of the tv. Coax cable from the antenna to the ANT/Cable input of the tv. Then program your tv for which input is used for what source.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

tv

thank u so much. i get 27 channels. i do get 3 and fox29 which is good. when i go to tv imputs i go from cable to tv and then antenna to tv. do i have to do that everytime. i have a mx750 remote and tv remote and directv remote
post #8 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz24 View Post
thank u so much. i get 27 channels. i do get 3 and fox29 which is good. when i go to tv imputs i go from cable to tv and then antenna to tv. do i have to do that everytime. i have a mx750 remote and tv remote and directv remote
Yes. The tv needs to know what the source is going to be in order to display video/audio. You need to change the input on the tv (ANT/Cable or HDMI for satellite). I use a Harmony remote to control my system. You could program the Harmony so that Watch TV turns on the tv, receiver/soundbar (what ever you are using for auido), and select the ANT/Cable input. Watch Satellite would turn on the tv, receiver/soundbar, DTV box, and select the correct source input.

Harmony has a huge database of devices so it's possible that it may have the input codes for your 4 year old tv. The mx750 may be able to do that as well.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2019, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

tv

otto thank u so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page