Cooling MCM Media Cabinet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cooling MCM Media Cabinet

My wife absolutely hates my receiver that we use in our living room, so I've been looking for a way to hide it away. I finally broke down and bought a nice mid-century credenza. It looks great, but clearly not designed to be a media console. So, I'm going to try to retrofit it with some fans and wanted to get some opinions.

My setup in my living room is pretty tame. In the cabinet, I'm only expecting to have a Playstation 4, a receiver, an Amazon FireTV & a Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote. I'll mount all surge protectors behind the cabinet.

I have two receivers that I could use: Denon AVRX3300W or a Pioneer SC-1223-k. The Denon is a better/more expensive receiver, so I could use it in our media room. I think the SC-1223-k probably produces less heat as well.

To vent, I am considering using the AC Infinity AIRPLATE T7 directly above the receiver and below the second shelf. Do you guys think that is sufficient or am I going to be in trouble? Any suggestions on how I should build this out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191121_202709.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	821.5 KB
ID:	2643940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191121_202656.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	845.4 KB
ID:	2643942   Click image for larger version

Name:	61T0wgHYMvL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2643944  

Last edited by mangothehuman; 11-21-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You need to get that hot air out of the cabinet. Are you willing to put holes in your new credenza?

Option#1: cut hole in back of cabinet (if not tight to wall) and install the T7 to pull air out. Cut a vent hole under the AVR for fresh air intake. You can add another Infinity to pull air in ( need to flip the fan inside the housing) or just leave an open hole for passive intake. May want to consider adding a filter to the intake to minimize dust being pulled into your components.

https://www.acinfinity.com/fan-filte...an-filter-kit/

Option#2: if credenza is tight to the back wall, you can cut into the side of the cabinet and install the S7 there.

Option#3: take the door off and use an infinity aircom s10 (front exhaust)

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Chan View Post
You need to get that hot air out of the cabinet. Are you willing to put holes in your new credenza?

Option#1 : cut hole in back of cabinet (if not tight to wall) and install the T7 to pull air out. Cut a vent hole under the AVR for fresh air intake. You can add another Infinity to pull air in ( need to flip the fan inside the housing) or just leave an open hole for passive intake. May want to consider adding a filter to the intake to minimize dust being pulled into your components.

https://www.acinfinity.com/fan-filte...an-filter-kit/

Option#2: if credenza is tight to the back wall, you can cut into the side of the cabinet and install the S7 there.

Option#3: take the door off and use an infinity aircom s10 (front exhaust)
Definitely going with Option #1 . My wife would threaten divorce if I removed the front. I wouldn't be comfortable drilling through solid teak on the sides. The rear has a balsa wood back that I can cut through fairly easily and I can't imagine a scenario where this would not be up against a wall, so the hole(s) should be hidden.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You're welcome 😉. Make sure you leave some breathing room behind the credenza and the Denon should be a happy camper.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Depends how hot it gets, I'd try passive cooling first, air naturally rises so all you need is some holes on the bottom, and a long slit on the top rear. If still hot to touch, then add fans with RPM adjustment, tweak RPM until it becomes inaudible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page