Home Theater Components input failure - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By tre74
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By tre74
  • 1 Post By tre74

post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Home Theater Components input failure

For more than a year, hoping to correct the failure of my components to maintain correct input configurations. Every few days lose ability to watch FIOS TV One cable signal on Sony XBRE49 with proper audio from Yamaha receiver. Sometimes unplugging the entire system will fix it; but sometimes have to unplug twice. Using the HDMI/CEC/ARC Input 3 on the Sony. It's usually the audio that is lost; but sometimes the Sony screen is a flat light gray, receiving no cable tv signal. Sometimes pressing all the Yamaha input buttons on the remote will find the correct input for sound and picture; but often that doesn't help. Gave up on the Logitech Harmony Touch remote, using each component's individual remotes.
Also have problem that if there's a USB in Sony's drive input, that input will override Input 3 spontaneously and the source will change from TV to the USB drive.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Sony XBR-900E
Yamaha RX-V679 receiver
FIOS TV One Arris IPC4100/Arris VMS4100
Roku Streaming Stick+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 87
It sounds like an HDMI CEC issue. How are all of the devices connected together in your system? Is HDMI CEC active on all of your components? Most would recommend connecting all of the devices into the receiver first and then the receiver output to the TV's ARC input if it is not hooked up that way already.
pdoyle1 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3961 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
It sounds like an HDMI CEC issue. How are all of the devices connected together in your system? Is HDMI CEC active on all of your components? Most would recommend connecting all of the devices into the receiver first and then the receiver output to the TV's ARC input if it is not hooked up that way already.

I agree. Have the receiver as the hub, not the tv. CEC is a great idea but is fraught with so many issues it's not worth it to me. The reason being is that CEC is not standardized in that all mfrs who offer it have to follow the same protocols and implementation. The only HDMI requirement is that they offer it, not how to implement. The issues that arise from CEC can also affect ARC because older systems (not too much older) do not offer separate control of either one so if you need to disable CEC, you will probably be disabling ARC as well. There are no updates or firmware fixes for it either.

Disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and see if the issues go away. If they do, then CEC is the problem. What you may have to do is disable ARC/CEC and use an optical cable from the tv to your receiver for SmartApp audio (which is 5.1, the same as it is for ARC) and use a programmable remote such as a Harmony for single remote control (CEC).

There is also a dongle that one can purchase, the Lindy CECless adapter, that will prevent CEC but still allow for ARC. Some have had luck with that, others not.
pdoyle1 likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 12:37 PM

Oh, and make sure all of your cables are HDMI 2.0 certified and are rated at 18Gbps. If there are any bad links in the chain, none of it will really work correctly.
pdoyle1 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I agree. Have the receiver as the hub, not the tv. CEC is a great idea but is fraught with so many issues it's not worth it to me. The reason being is that CEC is not standardized in that all mfrs who offer it have to follow the same protocols and implementation. The only HDMI requirement is that they offer it, not how to implement. The issues that arise from CEC can also affect ARC because older systems (not too much older) do not offer separate control of either one so if you need to disable CEC, you will probably be disabling ARC as well. There are no updates or firmware fixes for it either.

Disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and see if the issues go away. If they do, then CEC is the problem. What you may have to do is disable ARC/CEC and use an optical cable from the tv to your receiver for SmartApp audio (which is 5.1, the same as it is for ARC) and use a programmable remote such as a Harmony for single remote control (CEC).

There is also a dongle that one can purchase, the Lindy CECless adapter, that will prevent CEC but still allow for ARC. Some have had luck with that, others not.
It's confusing to me. The Roku Streaming Stick+ is 4K ultra HD; and it's in the Sony TV's USB port as I don't believe the Yamaha can operate it directly. I do have a bluray 4K ultra HD player that I rarely use; it may have a USB port the Roku can plug into and that would take that source away from TV and give it to the Yamaha thru bluray player.
I believe all other sources go to Yamaha which sends signal to the Sony TV. But the Sony is a smart TV with Netflix; guess I can't use the Sony as the Netflix source. Yes I will double check the hdmi cables again for 18.

thanks!!

Sony XBR-900E
Yamaha RX-V679 receiver
Roku Streaming Stick+
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 02:00 PM

I would plug the Roku into the receiver and power it via its AC adapter if you have it and not power it via usb. Do you have an outlet to spare?
pdoyle1 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoyle1 View Post
It's confusing to me. The Roku Streaming Stick+ is 4K ultra HD; and it's in the Sony TV's USB port as I don't believe the Yamaha can operate it directly. I do have a bluray 4K ultra HD player that I rarely use; it may have a USB port the Roku can plug into and that would take that source away from TV and give it to the Yamaha thru bluray player.
I believe all other sources go to Yamaha which sends signal to the Sony TV. But the Sony is a smart TV with Netflix; guess I can't use the Sony as the Netflix source. Yes I will double check the hdmi cables again for 18.

thanks!!

CEC is HDMI only so USB would have no effect. However, if CEC is enabled on any HDMI port, that may affect input selection. You'll probably need to disconnect everything, power it all down and then add device sone at a time and see where or when the issues occurs. It's also possible that there could be an issue with the Yamaha receiver. Doubtful because Yamaha makes very robust receivers (I'm currently using two for my HTS's) but it is a possibility.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
CEC is HDMI only so USB would have no effect. However, if CEC is enabled on any HDMI port, that may affect input selection. You'll probably need to disconnect everything, power it all down and then add device sone at a time and see where or when the issues occurs. It's also possible that there could be an issue with the Yamaha receiver. Doubtful because Yamaha makes very robust receivers (I'm currently using two for my HTS's) but it is a possibility.
Will plug Roku into receiver, as suggested; and add one device at a time. Thanks! Maybe I can even get Harmony Touch to work properly. Four remotes is a bit much.

Sony XBR-900E
Yamaha RX-V679 receiver
Roku Streaming Stick+
post #9 of 9 Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoyle1 View Post
Will plug Roku into receiver, as suggested; and add one device at a time. Thanks! Maybe I can even get Harmony Touch to work properly. Four remotes is a bit much.

I use Harmony 700's on both of my HTS's. Works very well, most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page