AV Cabinet Cooling - Where/how to intake/exhaust - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AV Cabinet Cooling - Where/how to intake/exhaust

Hi All - I am building a wooden free-standing cabinet with rack rails to house my AV equipment. It's based on some plans I found on Tom Builds Stuff. It will be 16U and dimensions would be ~24"(w) x 24"(d) x 32" (h). It will house a receiver (4U), 4 hard drive RAID enclosure (4U), mac mini and modem (2U) and cable TV unit (2U) with 6U of ventiliation in between. In the future I might add a rack mount server.

I'm trying to work out how I can get sufficient air in and out of the cabinet to cool everything. The plans I'm using suggest fully vented front and back doors with solid wood on the top, bottom and sides, however my better half wants the front door to also be solid wood for aesthetic purposes. I've already bought an AC Infinity Airplate T7, which has a temperature controller and unit with 2 fans that I plan to use for the exhaust. What I need to work out is:

- Where should I put the exhaust fan? It seems like the roof of the cabinet would be ideal but it would prevent me putting anything on top of it. Would it be as effective if I put it high up on one of the sides?
- What should I use for intake? Easiest option is a basic ~5"x10" vent with a dust filter but is this sufficient? Alternatives are another fan unit or a fully vented back door (using wire mesh or similar).
- If I use a fan or vent, where is the best place for the intake? Floor of unit seems easiest here would I want it to be on the opposite side of the unit to the exhaust? (e.g. if exhaust is roof back intake at floor front)

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Assuming the cabinet is in the room, you probably don’t want to put the fans in the top, although that would be optimal. I’d normally put the fans in the back wall of the cabinet, but since that’s out with your vented doors, I’d just go with the side walls. Since heat rises, so mount them as high as possible.

No need to worry about intake since you have the back of the cabinet vented. That would only be an issue with a fully air-tight cabinet.

BTW, an air-sealed cabinet with a filtered intake is the only way to avoid dust, so that’s going to come with the forced-air cooling.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebottle81 View Post
Hi All - I am building a wooden free-standing cabinet with rack rails to house my AV equipment. It's based on some plans I found on Tom Builds Stuff. It will be 16U and dimensions would be ~24"(w) x 24"(d) x 32" (h). It will house a receiver (4U), 4 hard drive RAID enclosure (4U), mac mini and modem (2U) and cable TV unit (2U) with 6U of ventiliation in between. In the future I might add a rack mount server.

I'm trying to work out how I can get sufficient air in and out of the cabinet to cool everything. The plans I'm using suggest fully vented front and back doors with solid wood on the top, bottom and sides, however my better half wants the front door to also be solid wood for aesthetic purposes. I've already bought an AC Infinity Airplate T7, which has a temperature controller and unit with 2 fans that I plan to use for the exhaust. What I need to work out is:

- Where should I put the exhaust fan? It seems like the roof of the cabinet would be ideal but it would prevent me putting anything on top of it. Would it be as effective if I put it high up on one of the sides?
- What should I use for intake? Easiest option is a basic ~5"x10" vent with a dust filter but is this sufficient? Alternatives are another fan unit or a fully vented back door (using wire mesh or similar).
- If I use a fan or vent, where is the best place for the intake? Floor of unit seems easiest here would I want it to be on the opposite side of the unit to the exhaust? (e.g. if exhaust is roof back intake at floor front)

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks!
Consider reviewing products from this company. Extraordinary quality with low pricing. Plus they give tips on cabinet cooling.

https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2020, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had a similar issue, and actually, I still haven't seen the final product yet. We got a media console made by a wood furniture company. It's 102" wide, and on the sides, I have cut-outs for AC Infinity intake / exhaust fans. I'm thinking / hoping it will look and work well. Furniture gets delivered next week.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Solid front is fine, but I'd like to see an intake SLIT front-bottom, it will be invisible. This is the ideal setup: Cool air IN front-bottom, Warm air OUT top-rear. Just like with a REAL RACK, there should be air gaps on the sides for the warm air to raise up.

Don't like side fans since you can probably see it. Fans should be invisible and silent. If rear-top fans not possible, have fans on top but build another shelf (tunnel) on top of it, maybe 1-2" thin where fans can exhaust into, at the same time providing a surface for you to put stuff on top, that's the general idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page