4D Theater Wind Effect - DIY Home Theater Project - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #121 of 142 Old 06-29-2020, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 998
4D Theater Wind Effect - DIY Home Theater Project

@brazen1

Try this build to see if it will work for you.

Leave your Kodi remote access on port 8080, but set HTFanControl to read from MPC like normal.

When the program sees that MPC looks like a mounted BluRay iso, it will try to read the file info from Kodi. But play/pause state and time codes will come from MPC.

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/HTFan...11_brazen1.zip
brazen1 likes this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 06-29-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 06-29-2020, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wind Track Creator v1.2

Just a small update to Wind Track Creator.

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/WindT...eator.v1.2.zip

Notes
  • Added dark mode skin.
SOWK and brazen1 like this.
post #123 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Hi. web ui doesn't connect with special build and the address is different from beta11. If I put in address from normal beta11, it does connect. Status shows it is expecting "index" still.
Thank you for trying.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
Samsung 82" Q90R / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Hi. web ui doesn't connect with special build and the address is different from beta11. If I put in address from normal beta11, it does connect. Status shows it is expecting "index" still.
Thank you for trying.
I think we have to try teamviewer because your system is not making sense to me I guess.

Based on the information I had it should have worked. It works on my test system which I tried to set up like yours.
post #125 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Ah yes, good catch.

I did add back in SpindownOffset but I forgot to mention it in my change notes. I just figured someone might want to use it so why not put it back in.

It will be great that you can test the Plex support when I get it working correctly soon.

I am glad you are enjoying the app.
I thought you stated previously that the Spindown offset wasnt needed for a properly calibrated system? Is this going to be required moving forward or is it optional? Are you or SOWK going to update the calibration files to include this parameter? This is testing how long it takes for the fan to stop blowing once it is turned off right? So I would just need to time how long it takes after going from High to Off for the wind to stop reaching my MLP?

Current Setup: 5.2.2 ATMOS setup using Polk RTI12s for LR, CSI-A6 Center, 2x RTI-A3 Surrounds, 2x Jamo SUR speakers for ATMOS, Dual SVS SB12-NSD, Denon X2200W, miniDSP 2x4HD, BenQ HT1075, 130" screen, Nvidia Shield (2017), DIY acoustic panels. Things to upgrade: AVR to Denon X4500H or X3600H, Monolith/Emotiva/Outlaw Audio 5 or 7 channel amp, BOSS riser +iNuke, upgrade to 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 ATMOS, Dual DIY subwoofers
post #126 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg2391044 View Post
I thought you stated previously that the Spindown offset wasnt needed for a properly calibrated system? Is this going to be required moving forward or is it optional? Are you or SOWK going to update the calibration files to include this parameter? This is testing how long it takes for the fan to stop blowing once it is turned off right? So I would just need to time how long it takes after going from High to Off for the wind to stop reaching my MLP?
I still stand by that on a properly calibrated system it's not needed. I defaulted it to 0. I mean, technically all the offsets are optional, so yes it's optional. There is no need to update the calibration files for this since it's normally not needed. Yes it's only used when a fan is switching OFF. It will switch it off a little earlier.

The reason that I brought it back is more complicated than all that. In testing, it seems generally OK if a fan turns OFF a little too early. This doesn't cause a real noticeable distraction in the wind effect. There is a negative experience noticed however if the fan turns off too late.

When I added Plex, an unfortunate aspect of the Plex API is that the time code positions are not as accurate as MPC or Kodi. It's not a huge deal, but they can be off a fraction of a second with Plex. I added SpindownOffset in the case that someone uses Plex. They might find that shutting off their fans about 500ms earlier can prevent the fans from ever shutting off too late. That's all.
post #127 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think we have to try teamviewer because your system is not making sense to me I guess.

Based on the information I had it should have worked. It works on my test system which I tried to set up like yours.
Sure. Make a system image in case we make any changes you might want to revert. Install TeamViewer and PM me your user/password.

W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz

Last edited by brazen1; 06-30-2020 at 01:02 PM.
post #128 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Life of Pi (2012)

Coded by brazen1
Attached Files
File Type: txt Life of Pi (2012).txt (2.3 KB, 6 views)
SOWK and SirMaster like this.

Last edited by brazen1; 06-30-2020 at 12:57 PM.
post #129 of 142 Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HTFanControl Beta 12

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/HTFanControl_Beta12.zip

Notes:
  • Fixed Plex media source.

Plex as a media source should actually work for everyone now.

Please let me know if you test it out and if you get it working or run into problems.

There's always little tiny tweaks here and there as well that generally aren't worth mentioning, but I always recommend updating to the latest version, especially to help make sure that the latest version is always the most stable and that everything, including all the old stuff still works as I tweak and clean up things here and there.
brazen1 and feistyacorn like this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 06-30-2020 at 10:40 PM.
post #130 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Notes:

Please let me know if you test it out and if you get it working or run into problems.

There's always little tiny tweaks here and there as well that generally aren't worth mentioning, but I always recommend updating to the latest version, especially to help make sure that the latest version is always the most stable and that everything, including all the old stuff still works as I tweak and clean up things here and there.
thanks @SirMaster , is it still accurate to say that Plex as a client wont give me the best experience from a timing perspective from what you stated previously? If so, I will test and validate the general functionality for Plex, but will likely stick to Kodi for 4d enabled movies.
brazen1 likes this.

Current Setup: 5.2.2 ATMOS setup using Polk RTI12s for LR, CSI-A6 Center, 2x RTI-A3 Surrounds, 2x Jamo SUR speakers for ATMOS, Dual SVS SB12-NSD, Denon X2200W, miniDSP 2x4HD, BenQ HT1075, 130" screen, Nvidia Shield (2017), DIY acoustic panels. Things to upgrade: AVR to Denon X4500H or X3600H, Monolith/Emotiva/Outlaw Audio 5 or 7 channel amp, BOSS riser +iNuke, upgrade to 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 ATMOS, Dual DIY subwoofers
post #131 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks @SirMaster , is it still accurate to say that Plex as a client wont give me the best experience from a timing perspective from what you stated previously? If so, I will test and validate the general functionality for Plex, but will likely stick to Kodi for 4d enabled movies.
In terms of actual timing data it's not as accurate, no. But I doubt that it would really be noticeable. If you can use Kodi then great, but I probably wouldn't use Kodi over Plex if I liked Plex more.

Maybe you can tell us if you can notice a difference in timing accuracy between Plex and Kodi with your highly detailed How to Train Your Dragon track.

In terms of real accuracy, Plex could be up to about 400ms off from what Kodi or MPC would be, worst case. With how air moves through a room I don't think anything under 500ms would be noticeable.
post #132 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

1917 (2019)

Coded by brazen1
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1917 (2019).txt (1.3 KB, 6 views)
SOWK likes this.

Last edited by brazen1; 07-01-2020 at 11:10 AM.
post #133 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Brazen1, thank you for jumping in and making fan files!!!!

I love when the whole community helps build something amazing!
brazen1 likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #134 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Brazen1, thank you for jumping in and making fan files!!!!

I love when the whole community helps build something amazing!
Right back at cha'! Expect more.

These Windtracks are as new to me as they are to others. Personally, I'd like feedback on my coding of these movies like if anything needs consideration for refinement or how to improve etc. It really is up to the interpretation of the author and I want to make sure I'm starting off on the right foot. Perhaps they're fine just as they are and no feedback means no changes needed? Hopefully some of you have the movies being coded by the folks here. I'm sure this thread might be open for requests too. I've used a couple supplied here so far and was very pleased.

I think there is plans for a microphone to supply IR signals in real time. While there are MANY advantages to using a mic, my common sense keeps telling me it's going to get it wrong more than it's going to get it right. Even one wrong could ruin the moment imo. Not having experienced it, this prediction means absolutely nothing. These Windtracks MAY become the reference for anything else.

I'm still learning along the way and can pass on a tip for MPC players. I think you touched on this in the how to section. When you have a timeframe that requires precision, pause and use the keyboard up/down directional keys to forward or rewind one frame at a time. Holding the directional up or down key will be in real time. This should help speedup reviewing the movie and deciding code. Coding should take less time than the actual runtime imo. Anything to help speed it up so we can spit these out accurately.

post #135 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Notes:

I am unfortunately having issues with getting Plex support to work with this build

Launched HTFanControl beta 12, went to Settings in web portal, I checked the Plex option, put in my server IP on my LAN, got Plex token and inputted that. When I go to list the players, nothing shows up. I then went to Plex console logs and saw a HUGE list of connection attempts from HTFanControl trying to access Plex with an error "Request: [192.168.1.87:57979] rejected because secure connections are required" with an incrementing port that the originating computer is using. That IP is my HTPC which is NOT running my Plex server. Ok, so I check Network settings in Plex and I have to change "Secure Connections" from Required to Preferred so that some unsecure connections to the server are allowed. Also to note, if I leave HTFanControl web UI at the Settings screen at this point, my Plex server is basically unresponsive on the UI side. I have to change the media player type to Kodi or MPC so that it stops essentially spamming my server. After changing that secure connection setting, I can now go back to HTFanController Settings UI and then click Select Plex Player, but then it only lists three Chrome players (I couldnt figure out where they were coming from but I had at one open on the HTPC that I was aware of). I opened up my phone Plex app and it didnt show up in the list and my Shield doesnt show up either. After inspecting the Plex console logs, I do see that my phone and the Kodi player on Shield show up in the logs as clients but not in the HTFanControl list to select. I tried setting it to each of the Chrome options and then playing media in the Plex chrome window that I did have open but on the Status page, it just shows cannot connect to Plex. I am not able to try running HTFanControl on the Plex server itself since that is running Ubuntu so I am wondering if this works if everything is all local. Any other settings to change or try? How did you do initial testing in your setup?
SirMaster likes this.

post #136 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

4D Theater Wind Effect - DIY Home Theater Project

Quote:
I am unfortunately having issues with getting Plex support to work with this build

Launched HTFanControl beta 12, went to Settings in web portal, I checked the Plex option, put in my server IP on my LAN, got Plex token and inputted that. When I go to list the players, nothing shows up. I then went to Plex console logs and saw a HUGE list of connection attempts from HTFanControl trying to access Plex with an error "Request: [192.168.1.87:57979] rejected because secure connections are required" with an incrementing port that the originating computer is using. That IP is my HTPC which is NOT running my Plex server. Ok, so I check Network settings in Plex and I have to change "Secure Connections" from Required to Preferred so that some unsecure connections to the server are allowed. Also to note, if I leave HTFanControl web UI at the Settings screen at this point, my Plex server is basically unresponsive on the UI side. I have to change the media player type to Kodi or MPC so that it stops essentially spamming my server. After changing that secure connection setting, I can now go back to HTFanController Settings UI and then click Select Plex Player, but then it only lists three Chrome players (I couldnt figure out where they were coming from but I had at one open on the HTPC that I was aware of). I opened up my phone Plex app and it didnt show up in the list and my Shield doesnt show up either. After inspecting the Plex console logs, I do see that my phone and the Kodi player on Shield show up in the logs as clients but not in the HTFanControl list to select. I tried setting it to each of the Chrome options and then playing media in the Plex chrome window that I did have open but on the Status page, it just shows cannot connect to Plex. I am not able to try running HTFanControl on the Plex server itself since that is running Ubuntu so I am wondering if this works if everything is all local. Any other settings to change or try? How did you do initial testing in your setup?

OK, so the Request: 192.168.1.87 is being made from HTFanControl asking Plex for a list of active players. When on the select a player page it was requesting it every second, but I changed it to 3 seconds now.

I am not sure why your Plex web UI was locking up, but we will have to see if that happens once this is working correctly.

For my initial testing, my Plex Media Server runs on my ubuntu server machine, and I was running a Plex Media Player client on my Windows desktop and also Plex iOS client on my Phone. To get the phone to work as a player you need to go into settings on the Plex phone app. Look for Remote Control setting or Sharing setting and enable "Advertise as player" option.

I also tested running Plex Media Server on my desktop just to have a slightly different test and they all worked.

Just a few minutes ago I had one of my friends test HTFanControl with his Plex. He has his Plex Media Server on his Synology NAS, and he has 3 nVidia shields and an AppleTV in his house. HTFanControl saw all 3 shields and the AppleTV just fine (the Plex app needed to be open on them).

The movie sync from his AppleTV worked perfectly, but there was some sync issues with his Shields due to a request timeout issue.

I have adjusted the timeout values in HTFanControl and made a new Beta 13 which may help you. I also added the IP of the Plex player to the plex clients list to help identify them when there are more than 1 of the same name.

To view the clients that your Plex Media Player sees and provides to HTFanControl, you can see this by opening this link in your browser:

http://PlexServerIP:Port/clients?X-Plex-Token=XXX...

I would say try Beta 13 to see if that helps any, and compare what you see in the link above to what you see in the select a player page in my app.

If you are still having more troubles perhaps I can teamviewer in some time do some debuging with your setup.

With Beta 13 it was working for my friend with Plex Media Player on his Linux NAS, and for all 3 of his shields and his AppleTV.
feistyacorn likes this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 07-02-2020 at 12:14 AM.
post #137 of 142 Old 07-01-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HTFanControl Beta 13

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTFan/HTFanControl_Beta13.zip

Notes:
  • Tweaks to Plex connectivity.

Further tweaking to improve the Plex connectivity and functionality.
SOWK and feistyacorn like this.
post #138 of 142 Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
With Beta 13 it was working for my friend with Plex Media Player on his Linux NAS, and for all 3 of his shields and his AppleTV.
I was really impressed with the software! Awesome work @SirMaster !!!

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #139 of 142 Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
OK, so the Request: 192.168.1.87 is being made from HTFanControl asking Plex for a list of active players. When on the select a player page it was requesting it every second, but I changed it to 3 seconds now.

I am not sure why your Plex web UI was locking up, but we will have to see if that happens once this is working correctly.

For my initial testing, my Plex Media Server runs on my ubuntu server machine, and I was running a Plex Media Player client on my Windows desktop and also Plex iOS client on my Phone. To get the phone to work as a player you need to go into settings on the Plex phone app. Look for Remote Control setting or Sharing setting and enable "Advertise as player" option.

I also tested running Plex Media Server on my desktop just to have a slightly different test and they all worked.

Just a few minutes ago I had one of my friends test HTFanControl with his Plex. He has his Plex Media Server on his Synology NAS, and he has 3 nVidia shields and an AppleTV in his house. HTFanControl saw all 3 shields and the AppleTV just fine (the Plex app needed to be open on them).

The movie sync from his AppleTV worked perfectly, but there was some sync issues with his Shields due to a request timeout issue.

I have adjusted the timeout values in HTFanControl and made a new Beta 13 which may help you. I also added the IP of the Plex player to the plex clients list to help identify them when there are more than 1 of the same name.

To view the clients that your Plex Media Player sees and provides to HTFanControl, you can see this by opening this link in your browser:

http://PlexServerIP:Port/clients?X-Plex-Token=XXX...

I would say try Beta 13 to see if that helps any, and compare what you see in the link above to what you see in the select a player page in my app.

If you are still having more troubles perhaps I can teamviewer in some time do some debuging with your setup.

hmm, not sure what is wrong with my setup since I am still noticing the same behavior of my clients not showing up. Here are the things I checked:

Phone already had advertise as player enabled but its not showing up in the list even when I access the API call that you mentioned, when I do that, it only lists two Chrome clients, one running local to HTPC and other on the Plex server itself. Its easier to identify now though with the IP being shown for the client so thanks for adding that. When I look at the phone app and use the cast feature, I see all sorts of devices on my network including Google devices. I also see my shield show up there twice and can cast media directly that way. It looks like it shows up twice because the Shield is both a chromecast device and a plex client so I see one with a Chromecast icon and the other with a rectangle with Plex logo in bottom left. I still dont see this listed in the API call though and am not sure why. On the Plex server, I have local network discovery enabled (GDM) so not sure what else could be the reason why it doesnt work. I would note that I tried to get my Plex and chromecast devices to work with smartthings at one point in time, but could never get the clients to show up. I wonder if this is a related issue since the clients arent being advertised in the API call which is likely how the Smartthings app worked at the time. Only other things I can think of is that I have DLNA disabled on Plex and UPnP disabled on my network. I did checked my Authorized Devices section on Plex and HTFanControl does not show up, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it still doesnt explain why the API call doesnt return any valid clients.

@feistyacorn any other inputs regarding your setup and if there is any difference would be appreciated. I am running Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS and Plex Media Server 1.19.4.2865 and HTFanControl is running on Win10 Pro v2004

post #140 of 142 Old 07-02-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Revenant (2015)

Coded by brazen1
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Revenant (2015).txt (2.1 KB, 1 views)
SirMaster likes this.

post #141 of 142 Old 07-02-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hmm, not sure what is wrong with my setup since I am still noticing the same behavior of my clients not showing up. Here are the things I checked:

Phone already had advertise as player enabled but its not showing up in the list even when I access the API call that you mentioned, when I do that, it only lists two Chrome clients, one running local to HTPC and other on the Plex server itself. Its easier to identify now though with the IP being shown for the client so thanks for adding that. When I look at the phone app and use the cast feature, I see all sorts of devices on my network including Google devices. I also see my shield show up there twice and can cast media directly that way. It looks like it shows up twice because the Shield is both a chromecast device and a plex client so I see one with a Chromecast icon and the other with a rectangle with Plex logo in bottom left. I still dont see this listed in the API call though and am not sure why. On the Plex server, I have local network discovery enabled (GDM) so not sure what else could be the reason why it doesnt work. I would note that I tried to get my Plex and chromecast devices to work with smartthings at one point in time, but could never get the clients to show up. I wonder if this is a related issue since the clients arent being advertised in the API call which is likely how the Smartthings app worked at the time. Only other things I can think of is that I have DLNA disabled on Plex and UPnP disabled on my network. I did checked my Authorized Devices section on Plex and HTFanControl does not show up, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it still doesnt explain why the API call doesnt return any valid clients.

@feistyacorn any other inputs regarding your setup and if there is any difference would be appreciated. I am running Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS and Plex Media Server 1.19.4.2865 and HTFanControl is running on Win10 Pro v2004
I am not sure why your devices wouldn't show up in the /clients API call. That's the only way I know how to get the information that I use to connect to the player device to make what are called "timeline" requests to get the time code and playback state.

You could try just manually entering in Plex client settings into the HTFanControlSettings.txt file. To try using your Shield, put in the Shield's IP, and for Port put 32500. For client name put anything, and I guess for client GUID just try putting anything. I am not sure if the Shield will respond to timeline requests without providing its GUID, but I don't know another way to get it's GUID than the /clients API interface.

I tried HTFanControl on another friend's network late last night. Hes running Plex Media Server in a Docker container on his UnRAID server and everything saw his Plex clients just fine.

I also do not believe it's possible to use a Chromecast as a Plex player with HTFanControl. As far as I understand how a Chromecast works, it doesn't actually run a Plex app, so it's probably incapable of acting like a full-fledged Plex player and responding to "timeline" requests. I think that the Chromecast works as a generic google media player, and other devices simply tell the Chromecast to play the video at a particular stream URL. So it's not actually running a Plex player code, it's running a Google player code, simply streaming from a URL that's pointing to the Plex Media Server.

But so far I have tested HTFanControl from Shield, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Pixel 2, and Plex Media Player (windows) and they all worked as players that could provide their current time code and play state back to HTFanControl.

Have not tried a Roku, or FireTV, or any Smart TV Plex apps yet. I might be able to test a Roku and Samsung TV app at my parent's house this weekend.

I wish I knew more info to help, but I am out of ideas for your setup so far. It's worked on 3 of 3 different system setups that I have tried so far with all players except Chromecasts.

Last edited by SirMaster; 07-02-2020 at 01:22 PM.
post #142 of 142 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tested Plex on Roku tonight at my parents house and it worked perfect on the first try immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page