Originally Posted by kdawg2391044
I am unfortunately having issues with getting Plex support to work with this build
Launched HTFanControl beta 12, went to Settings in web portal, I checked the Plex option, put in my server IP on my LAN, got Plex token and inputted that. When I go to list the players, nothing shows up. I then went to Plex console logs and saw a HUGE list of connection attempts from HTFanControl trying to access Plex with an error "Request: [192.168.1.87:57979] rejected because secure connections are required" with an incrementing port that the originating computer is using. That IP is my HTPC which is NOT running my Plex server. Ok, so I check Network settings in Plex and I have to change "Secure Connections" from Required to Preferred so that some unsecure connections to the server are allowed. Also to note, if I leave HTFanControl web UI at the Settings screen at this point, my Plex server is basically unresponsive on the UI side. I have to change the media player type to Kodi or MPC so that it stops essentially spamming my server. After changing that secure connection setting, I can now go back to HTFanController Settings UI and then click Select Plex Player, but then it only lists three Chrome players (I couldnt figure out where they were coming from but I had at one open on the HTPC that I was aware of). I opened up my phone Plex app and it didnt show up in the list and my Shield doesnt show up either. After inspecting the Plex console logs, I do see that my phone and the Kodi player on Shield show up in the logs as clients but not in the HTFanControl list to select. I tried setting it to each of the Chrome options and then playing media in the Plex chrome window that I did have open but on the Status page, it just shows cannot connect to Plex. I am not able to try running HTFanControl on the Plex server itself since that is running Ubuntu so I am wondering if this works if everything is all local. Any other settings to change or try? How did you do initial testing in your setup?
OK, so the Request: 192.168.1.87 is being made from HTFanControl asking Plex for a list of active players. When on the select a player page it was requesting it every second, but I changed it to 3 seconds now.
I am not sure why your Plex web UI was locking up, but we will have to see if that happens once this is working correctly.
For my initial testing, my Plex Media Server runs on my ubuntu server machine, and I was running a Plex Media Player client on my Windows desktop and also Plex iOS client on my Phone. To get the phone to work as a player you need to go into settings on the Plex phone app. Look for Remote Control setting or Sharing setting and enable "Advertise as player" option.
I also tested running Plex Media Server on my desktop just to have a slightly different test and they all worked.
Just a few minutes ago I had one of my friends test HTFanControl with his Plex. He has his Plex Media Server on his Synology NAS, and he has 3 nVidia shields and an AppleTV in his house. HTFanControl saw all 3 shields and the AppleTV just fine (the Plex app needed to be open on them).
The movie sync from his AppleTV worked perfectly, but there was some sync issues with his Shields due to a request timeout issue.
I have adjusted the timeout values in HTFanControl and made a new Beta 13 which may help you. I also added the IP of the Plex player to the plex clients list to help identify them when there are more than 1 of the same name.
To view the clients that your Plex Media Player sees and provides to HTFanControl, you can see this by opening this link in your browser:
I would say try Beta 13 to see if that helps any, and compare what you see in the link above to what you see in the select a player page in my app.
If you are still having more troubles perhaps I can teamviewer in some time do some debuging with your setup.
With Beta 13 it was working for my friend with Plex Media Player on his Linux NAS, and for all 3 of his shields and his AppleTV.