4D Theater Wind Effect - DIY Home Theater Project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

post #1 of 194 Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
4D Theater Wind Effect - SirMaster & SOWK Edition

Required Components:

Source Device - HTPC or any devices that can run KODI *HTFanControl software will currently require a PC with Microsoft Windows OS, Raspberry Pi support coming soon.

Media Player - MPC-BE / MPC-HC / KODI

Additional Hardware: IguanaWorks USB Dual Socket IR Transceiver (PURCHASE) & IguanaWorks Homebuilt Wired IR Emitter (PURCHASE)

Additional Software: winLIRC *No need to download*

Additional Software: Fan Configuration file with preconfigured winLIRC (DOWNLOAD: WinLIRC & Fan Configuration File)

Additional Software: Wind track files (User Created) - (DOWNLOAD: Wind Tracks)

Additional Software: SirMaster's Wind Track Creator - (DOWNLOAD: Wind Track Creator)

Additional Software: SirMaster's HTFanControl (DOWNLOAD: HTFanControl)

Fans - Seville Classics Black UltraSlimline 40" Oscillating Tower Fan (PURCHASE: Model #: EHF10127B)

Optional Hardware: IguanaWorks Stereo to Mono Splitter (PURCHASE) & Additional IguanaWorks Wired IR Emitter (PURCHASE)
(This is only needed if you feel one emitter location is not enough to reach your fans with perfect 100% consistency.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How It Works:

1. Users will create a Wind Track .txt file with the same name of the source file they will be playing. The file will need time stamps and IR commands they want to send (OFF, ECO, LOW, MED, HIGH)

Example file name:

Ford v Ferrari (2019).txt

Example data inside Ford v Ferrari (2019).txt

# Ford v Ferrari (2019)
# 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (02:32:35)
# Coded by: SOWK

00:01:08.734,HIGH
00:01:26.029,OFF
00:02:11.714,LOW
00:02:13.924,MED
00:02:16.720,HIGH
00:02:50.043,OFF
00:04:01.866,LOW
00:04:05.245,MED
00:04:11.710,HIGH
00:04:42.949,OFF

2. HTPC runs the source file through MPC-BE / MPC-HC / KODI (Using the example above it would be Ford v Ferrari (2019).mkv)

3. @SirMaster 's HTFanControl program then does the following:
It communicates with MPC-BE/MPC-HC/KODI to get the current time stamp of the active source file playing
It accesses the user created .TXT file with time stamps and IR commands
It sends the IR commands to winLIRC at the specified time stamps in the user created file.
(The HTFanControl program also has a user editable start up fan negative delay and general negative delay. Example: If you want the fans to turn on at time stamp 00:10:00 and the fans take 3 secs for the wind to hit you the program will start the fans up at 00:09:57)

4. When winLIRC receives the IR command from HTFanControl it sends that command to the USB IR Transceiver

5. The USB IR Transceiver then sends the IR command to the Seville Classics Black UltraSlimline 40" Oscillating Tower Fan (Model #: EHF10127B)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Links:
HTPC Setup
Raspberry Pi Setup
Offset Calibration
Wind Track Creator
Supported Movies
Tower Fan - Beep Removal

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; Today at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 194 Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Personal Computer Setup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver Setup

1. IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver Driver (DOWNLOAD)

2. Install the IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver Driver

3. Plug in the IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WinLIRC and Fan Configuration File Setup

Fan Configuration file with winLIRC (DOWNLOAD)

1. Extract WinLIRC.zip to a location you want to house the Fan Project files

2. Run INSTALL.reg as Administrator

3. Run winlirc.exe

4. Configure winlirc.exe (Only If you have more than one wired IR emitter)

Menu > Reconfigure > Input Plugin > Plugin Setup > Transmitter Channels > (Check) Channel 1-4 > OK > OK

Media Player Setup - Enable Web Interface

MPC-BE/HC

Menu > View > Options > Player > Web Interface > (Check) Listen on port: > Apply

KODI

Menu > Settings > Services (Standard Control Rights Minimum) > Control > (Turn On) Allow remote control via HTTP (Username and password not supported) > Escape back to Main Menu

HTFanControl Setup

SirMaster's HTFanControl (DOWNLOAD)

1. Extract HTFanControl_Beta3.zip to a location you want to house the Fan Project files

2. Run HTFanControl_Beta3.exe

3. Configure HTFanControl_Beta3

Menu > Settings > Enter LIRC IP > Select the Media Player Type > Enter Media Player IP > Enter Global Offset (ms) based on your setup> Enter Spinup Offset (ms) based on your setup > Save Settings
feistyacorn likes this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; Today at 05:57 AM.
post #3 of 194 Old 06-08-2020, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Raspberry Pi Setup:

Under Development
feistyacorn and avtvhdbass like this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-09-2020 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 194 Old 06-08-2020, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Offset Calibration Setup:

SOWK's Offset Calibration Files - (DOWNLOAD)

1. Extract OffsetCalibration.zip to the location were you installed HTFanControl

2. Place (1 - Wind Track Global Offset Calibration.txt) and (2 - Wind Track Spinup Offset Calibration.txt) into the HTFanControl windtracks folder

3. Follow the instructions below. Make sure you do the global offset first before the spinup offset.

Global Offset Calibration

1. Play (1 - Wind Track Global Offset Calibration.mkv)

2. Every 10 sec it will alternate a Black & White full field pattern and alternate ECO & HIGH fan commands

3. Adjust the Global Offset under the HTFanControl Web UI Settings menu until you feel the wind speeds hit you exactly when you see the full field pattern change.
(It helps to use ear plugs to eliminate the sound of the fans - you only want to calibrate the feel of the wind change)

4. Save Settings

Spinup Offset Calibration

1. Play (2 - Wind Track Spinup Offset Calibration.mkv)

2. Every 10 sec it will alternate a Black & White full field pattern and alternate OFF & HIGH fan commands

3. Adjust the Spinup Offset under the HTFanControl Web UI Settings menu until you feel the wind hit you exactly when you see the full field pattern change, and go away when it is supposed too on the next full field pattern change
(It helps to use ear plugs to eliminate the sound of the fans - you only want to calibrate the feel of the wind change)

4. Save Settings

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-09-2020 at 10:17 AM.
post #5 of 194 Old 06-08-2020, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Wind Track Creator:

SirMaster's Wind Track Creator - (DOWNLOAD: Wind Track Creator)

How It Works:

1. Play your movie via MPC-BE / MPC-HC / KODI (If using MPC-BE you can right click the time stamp in the bottom right and enable a higher precision mode to see down to the ms. Example: 01:30:05:150)

2. Start Wind Track Creator

3. Scan through the movie with your mouse and/or keyboard shortcuts looking for scenes that the 4D Wind effect would work.
(Pro Tip: Enable forward and Backward frame skipping to get to the precise frame you want the time code down to the millisecond)

Use Numpad or the provided Menu buttons to time stamp that frame with a fan command into the Wind Track Creator.

Numpad 0 = OFF
Numpad 5 = ECO
Numpad 1 = LOW
Numpad 4 = MED
Numpad 7 = HIGH

4. Near the top of the Wind Track Creator there is a comment section that should be filled out:

Movie Name (Year)
Source (Length)
Coded by: User Name

Example: 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

Jaws (1975)
4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (02:03:56)
Coded by: SOWK

Example: Blu-ray

Crawl (2019)
Blu-ray (01:27:32)
Coded by: SOWK

5. Once finished, click Save File in Wind Track Creator. It will save a .txt file with the same name as the movie you were playing in MPC-BE / MPC-HC / KODI.

6. Please post the .txt file in this thread and I will add it to the pastebin collection.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; Today at 05:58 AM.
post #6 of 194 Old 06-08-2020, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Movies with Fan Files:

Download Wind Track Files
feistyacorn likes this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-29-2020 at 03:33 AM.
post #7 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Seville Classics Black UltraSlimline 40" Oscillating Tower Fan - Beep Removal:

Credit: @enovison

"Unplug unit first and modify at your own risk of damaging unit. Keep track of screws and take photos-makes it go much faster.

1. Back of unit- Remove 4 black screws (2 large and 2 small)- remove black plastic piece
Attachment 2728558

2. Top of hole you will find 3 silver screws- carefully remove
Attachment 2728556

3. Now you can pop off the black control top off and flip over. Carefully remove all 10 screws.
Attachment 2728554

4. Separate black cover to reveal circuit board- remove single silver screw in center- remove and flip over
Attachment 2728552

5. The round black disk that looks like a hockey puck is what makes the beeps. With a pair of pliers, CAREFULLY wiggle it off of the circuit board- make sure not to damage any adjacent circuitry. Alternatively you can desolder it- but a few shakes and it came right off
Attachment 2728550
Attachment 2728548

6. Then put everything back together and that's it! Check out attached video showing it fully functioning but now without the beeps."

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-09-2020 at 09:33 AM.
post #8 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Audio Sync Setup:

Under Development

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-10-2020 at 06:56 AM.
post #9 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Reserved 8

SOWK Home Theater
post #10 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Reserved 9

SOWK Home Theater
post #11 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Pictures:

Initial Testing:

Building Fan Housing:

90% Finished Front: (Air Exhaust)

90% Finished Back: (Air Intake)

Finished Look:

Additional Information

Materials - Build Fan Housing:

1. Menards 12" X 48" Sonotube
2. 3M Super 77 Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive
3. Royalty 3 Velvet Fabric
4. FastCap Kaizen Tool Storage Foam - (Top Cap, Middle Support Brace, Double thick Bottom Cap to raise the Fan up)
5. Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 12 oz. Protective Enamel Flat Black Spray Paint - (Paint inside the sonotube)
6. Cowles Black Edge Trim, 18' - (For middle portion cutout edge protection)
7. Frost King E/O 3/8 in. x 10 ft. Foam Tape - (Internal foam ledge for middle brace and top plate to rest on)
feistyacorn and avtvhdbass like this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 06-09-2020 at 04:14 AM.
post #12 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 42
4D Theater Wind Effect - DIY Home Theater Project

@SirMaster loving the new version with all of the web controls. Downloading is much easier and renaming with one button click was a really smart addition.

Problem: I can load the web interface on my iPhone, but when I try to click the other tabs (settings, wjndtracks) it looks like it’s loading and defaults back to status tab. I can’t get into the other tabs. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: @SirMaster I see the issue but don’t know how to fix it. When I sign into the web control i direct to my iPaddress:5500 and that works fine but when I click on any of the tabs it changes the iPaddress to a bunch of numbers that aren’t actually my IP address so nothing happens. If I manually input myIPaddress:5500/settings.html for example then I get to the right page. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by enovison; 06-09-2020 at 09:54 AM.
post #13 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@SirMaster a few things I have noticed right off the bat when testing the app out for new functionality (havent tried the control with a movie yet but I am sure that it works great)
  • SpindownOffset has been removed from Beta3 version - was there a reason for this? How does this affect the functionality of the fan control?
  • Missing tab for the new Windtrack functionality when you click on Settings tab
  • Love the ability to rename a windtrack to the currently playing movie - I use a different naming convention so was manually renaming the files so this saves a little bit of time
  • The new format for windtracks to include the metadata is helpful information to ensure you have the right version of the movie to the track
  • Next command timestamp codes remains after pausing the video instead of resetting to beginning of file which is awesome
  • Reload wind track button works and is a great addition
  • You fixed the formatting issues on Settings page which caused the text to get squashed
  • In Windtrack management page, I was a little confused about what the Download button will do - from what I was able to gather, it seems like this sets the windtrack that you select to the current playing movie which would be useful when your windtrack file doesnt match exactly to the playing movie. However, to me Download seems to be the wrong verb to use since I thought that meant downloading the file to your local machine (which also doesnt make sense since its already on your PC). Maybe call it "Load Windtrack"?
  • I havent really used Pastebin before, but does it make more sense to move this to git for better version control? As @Enovision stated, for long term state, it would be awesome if it worked similar to BEQDesigner and can pull from git to sync up the library of windtracks. I know that will take quite some time to get to, but that would make it very easy to use for non-tech savvy folks.

Current Setup: 5.2.2 ATMOS setup using Polk RTI12s for LR, CSI-A6 Center, 2x RTI-A3 Surrounds, 2x Jamo SUR speakers for ATMOS, Dual SVS SB12-NSD, Denon X2200W, miniDSP 2x4HD, BenQ HT1075, 130" screen, Nvidia Shield (2017), DIY acoustic panels. Things to upgrade: AVR to Denon X4500H or X3600H, Monolith/Emotiva/Outlaw Audio 5 or 7 channel amp, BOSS riser +iNuke, upgrade to 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 ATMOS, Dual DIY subwoofers

Last edited by kdawg2391044; 06-09-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #14 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enovison View Post
@SirMaster loving the new version with all of the web controls. Downloading is much easier and renaming with one button click was a really smart addition.

Problem: I can load the web interface on my iPhone, but when I try to click the other tabs (settings, wjndtracks) it looks like it’s loading and defaults back to status tab. I can’t get into the other tabs. Anyone else having this issue?

I am not noticing this behavior but I am using a Pixel 2 XL on Chrome. It works the same as on the PC that I am running on. From my testing, the Status page auto refreshes every 1-2 seconds but the other pages dont have that behavior.

Current Setup: 5.2.2 ATMOS setup using Polk RTI12s for LR, CSI-A6 Center, 2x RTI-A3 Surrounds, 2x Jamo SUR speakers for ATMOS, Dual SVS SB12-NSD, Denon X2200W, miniDSP 2x4HD, BenQ HT1075, 130" screen, Nvidia Shield (2017), DIY acoustic panels. Things to upgrade: AVR to Denon X4500H or X3600H, Monolith/Emotiva/Outlaw Audio 5 or 7 channel amp, BOSS riser +iNuke, upgrade to 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 ATMOS, Dual DIY subwoofers
post #15 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

@kdawg2391044
@enovison

Please look at post #4 to help dial the fans in even more.
enovison and kdawg2391044 like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #16 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Can’t wait to try this later today! Will report back. This post also got me excited for the prospect of running this on a raspberry pi! Do you think this will be possible soon? Maybe I’ll order a couple.

Had a suggestion for a feature:

- on Dbox, motion tracks for movies get automatically pushed to our D-BOX control units. Would there be any way to have new wind tracks auto downloaded to our windtracks folder as they get added by SOWK? Not sure if this could even be done.
I don't see how this would be possible because in order to automatically load a wind track, I need to know which text file matches which playing movie. But people name their movies slightly differently, so it wouldn't be easy. I only match on exact file names because doing a fuzzy match on the words is quite difficult and still not guaranteed to find a match. Plus it gets worse as the library of wind tracks gets bigger.

So even if I automatically downloaded all the new wind tracks to their local wind track folder, they would still have to tell the app which movie to "assign" each track to. That's what you can do in the "Manage" tab already. But the "Download" tab lists all the movies that are online in the pastebin, so the user is doing this process already. They can open a movie in their player and pause it, and then go to the online wind track list and download a track if one exists for that movie, with will download it to their local wind track storage and name the file to match their loaded movie.

If they want to download them ahead of time they can do so, and it simply names them how SOWK names the files in pastebin, and the user will have to use the rename button in manage to connect it to their movie if their file name is different.

One way or another, the user is going to have to get their wind track file names to match their movie file names, and that happens seamlessly when they download new tracks now. Auto downloading the tracks requires the same amount of work to "rename" the files they already downloaded so they then match.

Quote:

EDIT: @SirMaster I see the issue but don’t know how to fix it. When I sign into the web control i direct to my iPaddress:5500 and that works fine but when I click on any of the tabs it changes the iPaddress to a bunch of numbers that aren’t actually my IP address so nothing happens. If I manually input myIPaddress:5500/settings.html for example then I get to the right page. Thoughts?
Part of this I think is you are clicking a tab while the status tab is automatically reloading (every 3 seconds), which sends you back to the status tab as it completes its reload. I can fix this by doing the reload a different way that doesn't cause the browser to look like it's reloading the whole page.

As far the IP address issue. Right now my program has to know the IP address of your PC in order to generate the web pages correctly. What must be happening is your PC has multiple IP addresses, and ones that aren't active on your LAN probably caused by having some virtual network adapters installed like for a VPN connection or virtual machine software or something similar.

I think I can maybe change the web links to use relative paths which should keep using the IP that you load the page from initially. Or I can look at finding a way to pull the "correct" IP from your computer that will work on your LAN and ignore the other non-functioning ones.
post #17 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg2391044 View Post
@SirMaster a few things I have noticed right off the bat when testing the app out for new functionality (havent tried the control with a movie yet but I am sure that it works great)
  • SpindownOffset has been removed from Beta3 version - was there a reason for this? How does this affect the functionality of the fan control?
  • Missing tab for the new Windtrack functionality when you click on Settings tab
  • Love the ability to rename a windtrack to the currently playing movie - I use a different naming convention so was manually renaming the files so this saves a little bit of time
  • The new format for windtracks to include the metadata is helpful information to ensure you have the right version of the movie to the track
  • Next command timestamp codes remains after pausing the video instead of resetting to beginning of file which is awesome
  • Reload wind track button works and is a great addition
  • You fixed the formatting issues on Settings page which caused the text to get squashed
  • In Windtrack management page, I was a little confused about what the Download button will do - from what I was able to gather, it seems like this sets the windtrack that you select to the current playing movie which would be useful when your windtrack file doesnt match exactly to the playing movie. However, to me Download seems to be the wrong verb to use since I thought that meant downloading the file to your local machine (which also doesnt make sense since its already on your PC). Maybe call it "Load Windtrack"?
  • I havent really used Pastebin before, but does it make more sense to move this to git for better version control? As @Enovision stated, for long term state, it would be awesome if it worked similar to BEQDesigner and can pull from git to sync up the library of windtracks. I know that will take quite some time to get to, but that would make it very easy to use for non-tech savvy folks.
SpindownOffset was actually removed almost immediately in Beta 2 and I basically treated it like it never existed. It was determined almost immediately that it was not necessary to get good calibration and sync from the fans. It shouldn't affect anything being removed. (you can remove it from your settings file if you want, it's not being used). See post #4 for helping dial in your fan timings with the GlobalOffset and SpinupOffset alone.

I intentionally left the wind track tab off when you are in settings as I was trying to cut down on tabs since I will be adding more and want to leave as much room as possible. I guess I can include it. But I thought it's similar to how when you are in wind tracks, the settings tab is also gone to make more room for the manage and download tabs, plus I will be adding more tabs there too.

The download page lists wind tracks from SOWK's pastebin. So any new wind tracks that have been added there will show up under the download tab. The point of the download tab is to download these new wind tracks that you don't already have stored in your local folder. Downloading one will automatically name the file to match your currently playing movie. Or if no movie is playing, it will name them the name SOWK gave it on pastebin.

The manage tab lists files that are already on your local PC in your windtrack folder. The download tab lists and pulls files that are on the online pastebin. Manage tab is meant for deleting and renaming txt files you already have. Download tab is meant for downloading new txt files that you don't have yet.

If you download them all, then both lists will look the same, until SOWK adds another to the pastebin. Or if you delete some of your local ones, or when you download while a movie is playing or use the rename feature, your local list (manage) will have file names that match your movie files, while the download tab names are always just the names SOWK sets on the pastebin.

I have considered moving the wind track database to github and I may very well do this in the future. However, there will be no way to just automatically update your wind tracks fropm github, because the txt filenames on github wont match your local txt files which must match your movie names in order for the program to know to load them for a movie.

Sure, if you renamed all your local movie files to match the wind track names on pastebin or github, then you could mass auto update them all and they would still work and load with your movies, but I don't think that most people are going to rename all their movie files in their movie library. This would mess with their media library like in Kodi and would reset their watched status.

I hadn't really thought about people editing existing wind tracks. If this is going to happen, maybe we need to add a version number into the wind track files in a "#" line up top. I could display this version number in the downloads tab, and you could sort of compare this version number to your local copy in the manage tab. So you would know if you need to download the new version of the wind track which would overwrite your existing local one with the new version.
post #18 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I don't see how this would be possible because in order to automatically load a wind track, I need to know which text file matches which playing movie. But people name their movies slightly differently, so it wouldn't be easy. I only match on exact file names because doing a fuzzy match on the words is quite difficult and still not guaranteed to find a match. Plus it gets worse as the library of wind tracks gets bigger.

So even if I automatically downloaded all the new wind tracks to their local wind track folder, they would still have to tell the app which movie to "assign" each track to. That's what you can do in the "Manage" tab already. But the "Download" tab lists all the movies that are online in the pastebin, so the user is doing this process already. They can open a movie in their player and pause it, and then go to the online wind track list and download a track if one exists for that movie, with will download it to their local wind track storage and name the file to match their loaded movie.

If they want to download them ahead of time they can do so, and it simply names them how SOWK names the files in pastebin, and the user will have to use the rename button in manage to connect it to their movie if their file name is different.

One way or another, the user is going to have to get their wind track file names to match their movie file names, and that happens seamlessly when they download new tracks now. Auto downloading the tracks requires the same amount of work to "rename" the files they already downloaded so they then match.

Part of this I think is you are clicking a tab while the status tab is automatically reloading (every 3 seconds), which sends you back to the status tab as it completes its reload. I can fix this by doing the reload a different way that doesn't cause the browser to look like it's reloading the whole page.

As far the IP address issue. Right now my program has to know the IP address of your PC in order to generate the web pages correctly. What must be happening is your PC has multiple IP addresses, and ones that aren't active on your LAN probably caused by having some virtual network adapters installed like for a VPN connection or virtual machine software or something similar.

I think I can maybe change the web links to use relative paths which should keep using the IP that you load the page from initially. Or I can look at finding a way to pull the "correct" IP from your computer that will work on your LAN and ignore the other non-functioning ones.

-That makes sense for the IP address as I am in fact running a vpn. Look forward to seeing what solutions you come up with!

- I agree with your assessment of the auto downloading recommendation. I actually wrote this before checking out the new version. All of those issues were addressed. I suppose the only solution to any user legwork would be if it could listen to the movie and know the movie and timestamp similar to Dbox. I imagine that would be no easy task and prob far off in the future.

Btw, don’t get me wrong, it’s working great and Like you said I already can see the groundwork being set for using a headless processor like raspberry pi

post #19 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
-That makes sense for the IP address as I am in fact running a vpn. Look forward to seeing what solutions you come up with!

- I agree with your assessment of the auto downloading recommendation. I actually wrote this before checking out the new version. All of those issues were addressed. I suppose the only solution to any user legwork would be if it could listen to the movie and know the movie and timestamp similar to Dbox. I imagine that would be no easy task and prob far off in the future.

Btw, don’t get me wrong, it’s working great and Like you said I already can see the groundwork being set for using a headless processor like raspberry pi
I am actually planning an audio sync method to sync from a microphone in the room connected to the computer or pi. This will expand the user base to many more people as they will be able to use any movie source, like disc players and even streaming services.

This is also why using a ras pi will be so important as these disc player and stream box users wont have a windows PC anywhere near their theater.

However, there is another challenge potentially preventing the full automatic movie loading even when using audio, and that is that the database for doing audio matching is not small. Something like 100MB per movie.

And given the spirit of this project, I want to try to keep it cheap, and a ras pi is cheap, but it's not some super fast processor. If I wanted fully automated audio matching, I would need the user to have every 100MB audio fingerprint database entry downloaded ahead of time stored on their ras pi. And second, the pi needs to be able to process this audio and perform the database search. This works significantly faster if the database can be stored in RAM rather than on disk like the SD card. But you can't store so many audio matching database movie records in the limited RAM in a ras pi.

So even with audio matching, it's likely the user will need to open the phone app and pick which movie they are about to watch, so the software can load just that database record from SD card into RAM. This will make the time code lookup (sync) for just that movie more accurate and significantly faster on the limited processing power of a Pi. I don't think it's too much to ask that a user pull out their phone and select the movie they are watching on it. It only takes a few seconds.

I don't know if the audio sync will actually ever work, but I will certainyl try.

If I can't get it to work, I will probably try to add other sync methods like Plex, so people can play their movies on any Plex client (roku, appletv, fire stick, smart tv app, etc) and sync via that as well so they aren't limited to basically Kodi on a Shield.

The ras pi compatible build of this software is coming very soon. However I am a bit of a ways away from knowing exactly which Pi will work best for the audio lookup method (if it ever works). If that is something you want to future proof yourself for, then I would have to say you should buy the 8GB Pi 4 just to be safe. (They are $20 more than the 4GB model). I don't know if the 4GB Pi 4 will be sufficient for audio matching until I can actually write that code and do testing on it.

Otherwise, for the current MPC / Kodi / (maybe layer Plex) media player sync method I will be supporting any Pi 3 and Pi 4.
feistyacorn likes this.
post #20 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I am actually planning an audio sync method to sync from a microphone in the room connected to the computer or pi. This will expand the user base to many more people as they will be able to use any movie source, like disc players and even streaming services.

This is also why using a ras pi will be so important as these disc player and stream box users wont have a windows PC anywhere near their theater.

However, there is another challenge potentially preventing the full automatic movie loading even when using audio, and that is that the database for doing audio matching is not small. Something like 100MB per movie.

And given the spirit of this project, I want to try to keep it cheap, and a ras pi is cheap, but it's not some super fast processor. If I wanted fully automated audio matching, I would need the user to have every 100MB audio fingerprint database entry downloaded ahead of time stored on their ras pi. And second, the pi needs to be able to process this audio and perform the database search. This works significantly faster if the database can be stored in RAM rather than on disk like the SD card. But you can't store so many audio matching database movie records in the limited RAM in a ras pi.

So even with audio matching, it's likely the user will need to open the phone app and pick which movie they are about to watch, so the software can load just that database record from SD card into RAM. This will make the time code lookup (sync) for just that movie more accurate and significantly faster on the limited processing power of a Pi. I don't think it's too much to ask that a user pull out their phone and select the movie they are watching on it. It only takes a few seconds.

I don't know if the audio sync will actually ever work, but I will certainyl try.

If I can't get it to work, I will probably try to add other sync methods like Plex, so people can play their movies on any Plex client (roku, appletv, fire stick, smart tv app, etc) and sync via that as well so they aren't limited to basically Kodi on a Shield.

The ras pi compatible build of this software is coming very soon. However I am a bit of a ways away from knowing exactly which Pi will work best for the audio lookup method (if it ever works). If that is something you want to future proof yourself for, then I would have to say you should buy the 8GB Pi 4 just to be safe. (They are $20 more than the 4GB model). I don't know if the 4GB Pi 4 will be sufficient for audio matching until I can actually write that code and do testing on it.

Otherwise, for the current MPC / Kodi / (maybe layer Plex) media player sync method I will be supporting any Pi 3 and Pi 4.

Sounds great thanks. I don’t think I realized you can watch Apple TV content through plex. I’ll have to look into that.

post #21 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds great thanks. I don’t think I realized you can watch Apple TV content through plex. I’ll have to look into that.
I meant Plex player client on an appletv for playing your local media.

If I support Plex for syncing time codes, it still needs to be movies in your local library. It just means you wont be limited to players that support Kodi, which is basically only a Shield or a hacked Amazon Fire TV.

Streaming services wont have the same time codes if I could even pull a time code from a streaming service movie.

Streaming source only works if I sync via audio.
enovison likes this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 06-09-2020 at 11:48 AM.
post #22 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I meant Plex player client on an appletv for playing your local media.

If I support Plex for syncing time codes, it still needs to be movies in your local library. It just means you wont be limited to players that support Kodi, which is basically only a Shield or a hacked Amazon Fire TV.

Streaming services wont have the same time codes if I could even pull a time code from a streaming service movie.

Streaming source only works if I sync via audio.

Gotya. Do you think the iguana IR blaster that we’ve been using will work on a raspberry pi via USB PORT?

post #23 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotya. Do you think the iguana IR blaster that we’ve been using will work on a raspberry pi via USB PORT?
Yes it does work. Everything will work the same from a Pi as it does on Windows.

But there will be a lot less configuration. I am planning on providing a full SD card image that just works the first time you boot it. No need to ever connect it to a display or anything.
SOWK and feistyacorn like this.
post #24 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
SpindownOffset was actually removed almost immediately in Beta 2 and I basically treated it like it never existed. It was determined almost immediately that it was not necessary to get good calibration and sync from the fans. It shouldn't affect anything being removed. (you can remove it from your settings file if you want, it's not being used). See post #4 for helping dial in your fan timings with the GlobalOffset and SpinupOffset alone.

I intentionally left the wind track tab off when you are in settings as I was trying to cut down on tabs since I will be adding more and want to leave as much room as possible. I guess I can include it. But I thought it's similar to how when you are in wind tracks, the settings tab is also gone to make more room for the manage and download tabs, plus I will be adding more tabs there too.

The download page lists wind tracks from SOWK's pastebin. So any new wind tracks that have been added there will show up under the download tab. The point of the download tab is to download these new wind tracks that you don't already have stored in your local folder. Downloading one will automatically name the file to match your currently playing movie. Or if no movie is playing, it will name them the name SOWK gave it on pastebin.

The manage tab lists files that are already on your local PC in your windtrack folder. The download tab lists and pulls files that are on the online pastebin. Manage tab is meant for deleting and renaming txt files you already have. Download tab is meant for downloading new txt files that you don't have yet.

If you download them all, then both lists will look the same, until SOWK adds another to the pastebin. Or if you delete some of your local ones, or when you download while a movie is playing or use the rename feature, your local list (manage) will have file names that match your movie files, while the download tab names are always just the names SOWK sets on the pastebin.

I have considered moving the wind track database to github and I may very well do this in the future. However, there will be no way to just automatically update your wind tracks fropm github, because the txt filenames on github wont match your local txt files which must match your movie names in order for the program to know to load them for a movie.

Sure, if you renamed all your local movie files to match the wind track names on pastebin or github, then you could mass auto update them all and they would still work and load with your movies, but I don't think that most people are going to rename all their movie files in their movie library. This would mess with their media library like in Kodi and would reset their watched status.

I hadn't really thought about people editing existing wind tracks. If this is going to happen, maybe we need to add a version number into the wind track files in a "#" line up top. I could display this version number in the downloads tab, and you could sort of compare this version number to your local copy in the manage tab. So you would know if you need to download the new version of the wind track which would overwrite your existing local one with the new version.
Man, I feel like an idiot because I totally didnt even realize that there was a Manage and Download section for the Windtracks. That is really awesome and pretty much answers any questions I had previously. I thought it was weird that some of the windtrack titles were properly labeled with punctuation and it is because it was SOWK's pastebin and not my own library :P As for the github comments, yeah I see what you mean by it not working right since the titles need to match up to the files since its doing a 1:1 comparison. However, maybe as a potential solution, you can run a checksum of each Windtrack in SOWK's pastebin and save the result to local disk (or if pastebin has this functionality in an API so that it can be cached easily vs downloading and computing on the fly). Then compare checksums to the windtracks on local disk since renaming a file should not change the checksum (I am not an expert on git so dont know if it already can account for this). This would be a poor mans git repository and would probably satisfy 90% of use cases I would think. Maybe have a way to manually pull a fresh list from pastebin so that its not constantly doing it and recalculating checksums (although probably wont save that much CPU time at least right now since the files and library are small). I agree about adding version number to the track though since that would at least let you know if something was updated (which could happen for a specific scene that needs to be tweaked and would be hard to notice). By adding the version number, you could probably do away with the checksum calculation to keep the code simple and then it would be relying on the pastbin files to be properly updated with the proper metadata. If you were to do a compare with the online version and offline version, I guess it would look similar to how git handles conflicts but that is all stuff that can come later. As for the missing tabs, I thought of it as a webpage header so when the different tabs disappeared, it seemed like a bug, but I see what you mean by keeping it uncluttered, especially if more tabs/functions will be added in future and the intention is to keep it mobile friendly. If there are a lot of tabs for future state, it may make more sense to move it to a menu UI with a hamburger button to select the function you want to use.

So if I understand correctly, the workflow to get a new windtrack that you dont have on your PC is to do the following:
  1. Start the movie you want to watch to preload it into Controller app
  2. Go to Downloads and list windtracks from SOWK's pastebin,
  3. Select new windtrack that you dont have and click Download button
  4. Then click on Manage tab
  5. Select new windtrack and then click "Rename Wind Track"
  6. Click on Status, and now everything is ready to go

post #25 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg2391044 View Post
Man, I feel like an idiot because I totally didnt even realize that there was a Manage and Download section for the Windtracks. That is really awesome and pretty much answers any questions I had previously. I thought it was weird that some of the windtrack titles were properly labeled with punctuation and it is because it was SOWK's pastebin and not my own library :P As for the github comments, yeah I see what you mean by it not working right since the titles need to match up to the files since its doing a 1:1 comparison. However, maybe as a potential solution, you can run a checksum of each Windtrack in SOWK's pastebin and save the result to local disk (or if pastebin has this functionality in an API so that it can be cached easily vs downloading and computing on the fly). Then compare checksums to the windtracks on local disk since renaming a file should not change the checksum (I am not an expert on git so dont know if it already can account for this). This would be a poor mans git repository and would probably satisfy 90% of use cases I would think. Maybe have a way to manually pull a fresh list from pastebin so that its not constantly doing it and recalculating checksums (although probably wont save that much CPU time at least right now since the files and library are small). I agree about adding version number to the track though since that would at least let you know if something was updated (which could happen for a specific scene that needs to be tweaked and would be hard to notice). By adding the version number, you could probably do away with the checksum calculation to keep the code simple and then it would be relying on the pastbin files to be properly updated with the proper metadata. If you were to do a compare with the online version and offline version, I guess it would look similar to how git handles conflicts but that is all stuff that can come later. As for the missing tabs, I thought of it as a webpage header so when the different tabs disappeared, it seemed like a bug, but I see what you mean by keeping it uncluttered, especially if more tabs/functions will be added in future and the intention is to keep it mobile friendly. If there are a lot of tabs for future state, it may make more sense to move it to a menu UI with a hamburger button to select the function you want to use.

So if I understand correctly, the workflow to get a new windtrack that you dont have on your PC is to do the following:
  1. Start the movie you want to watch to preload it into Controller app
  2. Go to Downloads and list windtracks from SOWK's pastebin,
  3. Select new windtrack that you dont have and click Download button
  4. Then click on Manage tab
  5. Select new windtrack and then click "Rename Wind Track"
  6. Click on Status, and now everything is ready to go
From your steps, step 4, 5, and 6 are unnecessary.

Download will store the wind track with the correct name if a movie is playing. You only need to do steps 4 and 5 if you download a wind track when a movie is not playing. Step 6 is never necessary as the buttons always automatically send you to the status page when they complete their work.

You just need steps 1, 2, 3 and that should be it. It should leave you on the status page with the file loaded and running.

Normal users will only have to do steps 1, 2, 3 for each new movie, and then after that they will be stored locally for if they play the movie again, and it will load automatically.

Then they can use the manage page if for some reason they want to delete a wind track or rename one if they have renamed their movie file.

As for the checksums for checking updates, well if the online wind track changes the contents, that would be a new checksum, but how do I know which file checksum to compare the checksum to in your local folder, because you have presumably renamed the file to match your movie filename.

I would need to keep somewhere every past checksum for every online wind track file version so that it can find which one of your local files looks like one of past online files in an earlier version. It's quite a lot of logic and checking and then having to upkeep a list of every checksum for each version of each wind track somewhere in the online database which would have to be manually updated by someone using the github. This also doesn't work very well when people start uploading their own files to a future public database of wind tracks.

As long as the functionality isn't too confusing. I will have a documentation file eventually to explain things like this which should hopefully help people understand what each section is for when they begin using it. Probably a help tab right in the app.

Last edited by SirMaster; 06-09-2020 at 01:12 PM.
post #26 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added: The Invisible Man (2020)

# The Invisible Man (2020)
# 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (02:04:23)
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Invisible Man (2020).txt (1.5 KB, 5 views)
brazen1 and avtvhdbass like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #27 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Added: 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)

# 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)
# 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (02:28:49)
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968).txt (503 Bytes, 5 views)
brazen1 and SirMaster like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #28 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Which Wired IR Emitter should we purchase from IguanaWorks? (Homebuilt, SmartHome, or SmartHome Dual?)
Thanks for sharing this as I've been excited to set it up in my HT!
SOWK likes this.

Media Room: JVC NX7, 130" Dalite JKP 1.3, Anthem MRX 1120, 3xJTR 212HTR, 4xJTR S8, 4xML R Ceiling, 2xJTR Cap 1400, Oppo 203, Nvidia Shield, Crowsons, D-Box Chairs
Family Room: LG 77C8 OLED
post #29 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Homebuilt

SOWK Home Theater
post #30 of 194 Old 06-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
@kdawg2391044
@enovison

Please look at post #4 to help dial the fans in even more.
Thanks @SOWK , with this, I can confirm that my settings were dialed in already but its a great asset for others who haven't gotten to that point yet. The way I was doing it was much less elegant - in WinLIRC, I send the command for High from Off and counted the time it took to reach my MLP and took an average of a few trials. This gives me the global offset plus spinup offset. Then to get spinup offset, I just stood immediately in front of the fan and turn it on and timed how long it took for the fan to start blowing. Then I just subtracted that spinup offset from the previous result to get global offset.

Quote:
From your steps, step 4, 5, and 6 are unnecessary.

Download will store the wind track with the correct name if a movie is playing. You only need to do steps 4 and 5 if you download a wind track when a movie is not playing. Step 6 is never necessary as the buttons always automatically send you to the status page when they complete their work.

You just need steps 1, 2, 3 and that should be it. It should leave you on the status page with the file loaded and running.

Normal users will only have to do steps 1, 2, 3 for each new movie, and then after that they will be stored locally for if they play the movie again, and it will load automatically.

Then they can use the manage page if for some reason they want to delete a wind track or rename one if they have renamed their movie file.

As for the checksums for checking updates, well if the online wind track changes the contents, that would be a new checksum, but how do I know which file checksum to compare the checksum to in your local folder, because you have presumably renamed the file to match your movie filename.

I would need to keep somewhere every past checksum for every online wind track file version so that it can find which one of your local files looks like one of past online files in an earlier version. It's quite a lot of logic and checking and then having to upkeep a list of every checksum for each version of each wind track somewhere in the online database which would have to be manually updated by someone using the github. This also doesn't work very well when people start uploading their own files to a future public database of wind tracks.

As long as the functionality isn't too confusing. I will have a documentation file eventually to explain things like this which should hopefully help people understand what each section is for when they begin using it. Probably a help tab right in the app.
Thanks for clarifying the Download functionality. it also makes sense about what you were saying about checksums, I guess I wasnt thinking about how you would match up the text files themselves. I suppose for this to work, you would need to create a database and do some sort of manual mapping between online version/filename with your offline copy and reference that when doing comparisons (with initial attempt to do some fuzzy logic to match closest results) but this adds a lot of complexity to the app. If I am understanding what you were saying about the sound matching capability using a mic, you would need to download a sound file for each new movie that would be 100's of MB big each? That does sound computationally expensive and less likely to run well on a pi without introducing some sort of latency into the system. With Plex integration, it sounds like maybe that would be using the webhooks capability?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page