AVS Forum banner

'Quantum Dots': Key to vibrant color for Sony's 'Tri-Luminous' TV

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scott Wilkinson 
#1 ·
It's been 30 years since the discovery of the Quantum Dot, now Sony is bringing the technology to the living room. The new technology promises to expand the color gamut of Sony's 'Triluminous' TV sets as much as 50% when compared to current TV sets. The key to the technology: tiny crystals that can manipulate electrons at the quantum level so they emit light at a precise wavelength. How cool is that?
Quote:
Discovered in 1981, quantum dots did not find applications until 2002. That was when the Quantum Dot Corporation of Hayward, California, began selling them to cell biologists, who prize them as fluorescent imaging labels for proteins and other biological molecules.

Conventional LCDs use a high-intensity blue LED backlight whose glow is converted by a phosphor coating to create a broadband, white light used to make the moving TV images. The new Triluminos tele­visions instead pair an uncoated blue LED with a thin glass tube filled with quantum dots. Two kinds of quantum dots in the tube absorb some of the blue light from the backlight and re-emit it as pure red and green light.

http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-dots-go-on-display-1.12216
Quote:
The new range of TVs will be the first consumer devices to make use of quantum dots: a previously lab-based semiconductor technology, which uses "tuned" nanocrystals so small—around 10 nano­metres in diameter— that they exhibit quantum properties
http://gizmodo.com/5976341/sonys-new-triluminous-tvs-will-be-powered-by-quantum-physics?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Quote:
Sony’s approach uses an uncoated LED inside a thin glass tube packed with red and green quantum dots supplied by Massachusetts company QD Vision.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3881546/sonys-new-triluminous-tvs-pursue-vibrant-hues-with-quantum-dots

#2 ·
This sounds amazing and I look forward to seeing some tests done on viewing angles as well as contrast levels. Then you can say you have a Quantum ...TV...lol Awesome article.

#3 ·

I talked with a Sony rep about Triluminos at CES, and he didn't say anything about this. He said it was white LEDs whose light was split into RGB by tiny prisms in the diffusion layer. But then again, he was just a product babysitter in Sony's booth, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if he had it wrong. I will definitely look into this. Interestingly, another company at CES, Hisense, was demonstrating something it calls U-LED, which was described to me (in very poor English by a Chinese engineer) as blue LEDs exciting red and green phosphors, which is similar to the description presented here. I intend to find out more about that as well. I did a podcast about quantum-dot technology with Jason Hartlove, CEO of Nanosys, which can be found here: twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/99

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.