Marantz Unveils Two Slim AVRs—NR1604 & NR1504 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1713 hast MultEQ XT vs MultEQ on the 1504. It also has more power, power supply almost twice as "big". The NR1504 has a smaller form factor and I really like the thin design. Probably they sound similar (though I have the prsonal impression that voices sound more natural on my NR1603 vs the much bigger AVR3313).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
I really like the look of the 1504. I just didn't know if the 1713 would sound significantly better than it or not. The lower power rating of the Marantz kind of scares me.
post #33 of 54 Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Double post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone here actually gotten one of these units yet? I have one on order and can't wait. I was concerned about the 50W rating, but for now I'll only be using it to drive a pair of Aperion 4T tower speakers in a smaller sized room so it should be more than enough for my needs.

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #35 of 54 Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 AM

In the UK the Marantz NR1504 in black is in stock in most dealers, but the silver finish that I prefer is not due until June, I can't wait smile.gif
post #36 of 54 Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 AM

Greetings (long time lurker),

I just received my 1504 and I really like everything about it. It has enough power to cleanly push my towers (elemental designs) louder than I would ever want. However, one of the reasons I picked it up was for the pre-outs to run an external amp. And it was beyond disappointing when I hooked them up to my external amp. The external amp at nearly 90% and the Marantz at levels beyond what I would ever listen to it at barely produce any sound on the speakers attached to the external amp. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this or if it is just a design flaw.
post #37 of 54 Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
pudgeypete,

Did you run the Audyssey calibration after connecting the external amps? That should "normalize" the volume levels.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #38 of 54 Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM

I did not, will try this today, thanks!
post #39 of 54 Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM

How does the 1504 compare to 1403 for music listening ? Anyone got a chance to listen ?
post #40 of 54 Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

Actually I care very much that the receiver is slim and has a small footprint. It mattered to me so much that I got rid of an expensive Denon 4806CI and went with the Marantz 1602 just for the foot print. My concerns were how much of audio fidelity I would be losing but I realized not much.
Only at high volumes the difference is palpable but at medium volumes, the Marantz and Denon performed comparably, the Denon was a beast and I hated it for its size in the living room

So you are saying.... size matters? smile.gif
post #41 of 54 Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Just got the Marantz NR1604 a few days ago and thought I'd give some impressions as my first post as a "thank you" for all of the insightful posts that I have read on AVS Forum.

A little background: I have had a Marantz SR7400 powering B&W CDM-9NT's in a living room for many years. I picked up the NR1604 to provide audio for a 1080p projector in a 13'x16' bedroom in an apartment. Thus, a lot of power was not necessary. In fact, at least half of its use would be to extract audio from HDMI and power Sennheiser PXC 450 headphones for streaming movies at night. Originally, this was not supposed to be a major home theater setup.

It is doing a great job passing 1080p video and powering the Senn's.

Other personal impressions that you may or may not find helpful:

Basic setup was very simple and the 1604 started passing the video to the projector while providing good audio to the headphones.

Next, it was time to have some fun. I had an SVS 20-39PCi sub from my old house in the living room, so I brought it into the bedroom to hear how it would supplement the headphones. No dice. Connecting the headphones disables the speaker outputs including the sub preamp.

To try to hear some audio aside from the headphones, I brought some small Sony surround speakers in from the living room and set up everything using Audyssey. As some have noted, the 1604 uses Audyssey MultEQ, not Audyssey MultEQ XT. This was my first time using Audyssey, and I was blown away by the ease of setup. It even informed me that I had the phase reversed on both L and R channels. The resulting sound was surprisingly good for the little Sony speakers combined with the SVS.

GUI: I personally am happy with the simple GUI. Simple graphics and basic text. It did exactly what I needed it to do without distracting me by trying to be too "pretty." There is also a smartphone app that I have yet to try out.

After a few days of watching Amazon Prime movies and TV and TED on a Roku 3, mostly using the Senn' cans, I have found the sound is good and really reflects the differences in source material.

Next: to have even more fun, I tried to hook the 1604 up to my network. Fortunately, my router is in my bedroom and I had a spare Ethernet cable that was exactly long enough to reach the 1604. I plugged in the cable and figured I'd have to configure some IP or other network stuff. Nope. To my surprise, the "Internet Radio" button immediately gave me access to a plethora of streaming stations. While streaming audio won't provide the best sonic quality, I was very happy with how easily I could find radio stations grouped by genre and location. It was also easy to set the three "Favorite Station" buttons on the remote by holding the button while on the desired station until the GUI showed it was marked as a favorite.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio S30 speakers arriving today to replace the Sony's. I ordered these on Amazon thanks to all of the helpful reviews on AVS Forum. In fact, I auditioned some Energy and B&W bookshelf speakers at Best Buy's Magnolia department (where I bought the 1604). Fortunately, they did not have the B&W's I wanted in stock, so I went home, read your reviews of the S30's, and saved a lot of money that I originally didn't plan on spending. wink.gif

A little bit of a summary:

Pros:

Marantz quality, Slim profile, easy setup, Audyssey MultEQ room correction, 7.1 channel (5.1 if using Zone 2), component video inputs, Internet/Airplay streaming and updates (via Ethernet cable)

Cons:

Only 50W/channel (into 8 ohms), Audyssey MultEQ has lower resolution than Audyssey MultEQ XT, no Wi-Fi

Summary:

The Marantz NR1604 can satisfy a desire for a quality slim AV Receiver for a small home theater and for good quality music.

Hope that helped. I'm a little behind the times with this stuff, so other reviews may provide a better comparison to other receivers.

-M
post #42 of 54 Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good first post. I'm thinking to also pick one of these up.

Does anything light up on the front panel when say you are playing say a 7.1 DTS HD MA source?
post #43 of 54 Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Onkyo 605 finally crapped out a few weeks ago, so I think I know what I'll be buying after my move next month. I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews of both of these units in the coming weeks. (especially the 1504)
post #44 of 54 Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Hi everyone, i sold my ex Denon AVR-1910. I have Wharfedale 10.6 as front, 10.2 as rear, 10cs as center and power cube 10+.

I am looking for new AVR for my system now. I think i will buy Marantz 1504 smile.gif I have searched Pioneer 921, Yamaha 673, Sony 840 for my speaker setup, but i like Marantz than the others. At the beginning 50wpc of 1504 is scared me. But most people say that shouldn't be any problem, my Wharfedales and Marantz 1504 will fit each other. What do you think?
post #45 of 54 Old 02-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Liked: 0
Hello everyone

I have a Marantz NR1504 AV receiver that I use to drive two compact speakers in a stereo setup. But I am not quite happy with the sound. I think lacks power/punch/bass (e.g. lower frequenzies seem to be missing)? Before used the Marantz receiver, I had the speakers connected to a Denon DRA-F100, a compact integrated stereo amp (2x30W a 4 Ohm). The sound with the stereo amp was better in regards to power/punch/bass. I use a receiver because I can easily connect it to my TV. The movie sound is better than when I used to headphone out of the TV to connect the integrated amp.

As a source for my listening I use something akin to the Sonos connect (Raumfeld connect2). The streaming device is connected using the RCA cables. I have tried listening in Pure, Pure Direct and normal stereo mode. In Pure and Pure Direct the sound seems to be clearer but lower frequency stuff is almost missing. In normal stereo mode I get somewhat more bass but the sound is a bit less clear.

One issue I have is that I do not have the Audyessy microphone to do an Audyessy setup (I got the receiver used and for cheap)s. Therfore, I did a manual setup.

The speakers I have are System Audio (SA) Mantra 5 (specs are listed below). At around $1800 for the pair they are not really cheap. I realize that I should probably match them with either a good stereo amp or a better receiver. But first I would like to see if there is anything I can do with the Marantz receiver.

The questions I have are the following:
1) Would I profit from getting an Audyessy microphone and running Audyessy setup?
2) Could it be that the receiver does not have enough power for my speakers?
3) Do you see any other ways to improve the sound?

Speaker specs:
Power handling: 140 Watt
Frequency range +/- 1.5 dB: 47-35.000 Hz
Impedance: 8 Ohm Sensitivity (1W / 1m): 88 dB
Crossover network: 2200 Hz(24dB/oct.)
Tweeter:: 1 x TWG2504XS
Woofer: 1 x W1508XL Q113
Principle: 2-way bass reflex
Recommended amplifier: Min. 50 Watt
Packing: Pairs Weight loudspeaker (kgs): 6 kgs
Dimensions (WxHxD) cm: 17 x 31 x 22

Relevant specs for the receiver:
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive): 50 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive): 60W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive): 85W

Marantz NR1504 | SA Mantra 5 | Samsung UE55H7000
post #46 of 54 Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Just saw this.One nice speakers,System audios are not well known here.I have system audios (signature) and love them.But that being said I would opt for a different receiver.just my take. I was driving mine with an sr8002 and no the sr7012. I'm just saying I think your better off with a full size AVR.FWIW

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #47 of 54 Old 02-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Just saw this.One nice speakers,System audios are not well known here.I have system audios (signature) and love them.But that being said I would opt for a different receiver.just my take. I was driving mine with an sr8002 and no the sr7012. I'm just saying I think your better off with a full size AVR.FWIW
One thing I would ask is if your speaker location or seating location has changed at all since switching out receivers? The room plays a big part in bass response and even minor changes in position can alter sound quality. Also, could it be that the receiver you purchased has the speakers set to "small" which would roll off the bass below 80hz? Make sure the speakers are set to "large" so they see the whole signal.
post #48 of 54 Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB1023 View Post
One thing I would ask is if your speaker location or seating location has changed at all since switching out receivers? The room plays a big part in bass response and even minor changes in position can alter sound quality. Also, could it be that the receiver you purchased has the speakers set to "small" which would roll off the bass below 80hz? Make sure the speakers are set to "large" so they see the whole signal.
I made sure the speakers are set to large. But thanks for the advice. I did have to change speaker position a bit. But redid the setup. I remeasured the distance from the new location to the listing position and adjusted the levels.

I am also trying to get an Audyessy microphone to do the automatic setup. Do you think that might help?

post #49 of 54 Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just realized your running in 2ch no sub. I would agree setting to large and possibly usualizing audessey to see what happens.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #50 of 54 Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Just realized your running in 2ch no sub. I would agree setting to large and possibly usualizing audessey to see what happens.
What about the receiver being under powered? 50 watts is the minimum recommended for the speakers.

BTW, thanks for the congrats on the speakers. I initially listened to them with an NAD C356BEE. Quite a difference to the sound I get from receiver I have now. At some point I will have to replace the receiver.

post #51 of 54 Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure if your actually underpowered.Would you benefit with more yes. I run a Marantz slim receiver NR1605 outside but with a pair of def tech aw6500 but 92db 200 watt handling and it does fine.

post #52 of 54 Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Audyssey tries to generate a "flat" frequency response. Most people prefer a "sloped" frequency response, with more bass than treble. The usual workaround for older receivers requires there to be a subwoofer in the system. People typically turn up its trim level (in the receiver) by about 5dB.

Newer D+M receivers, those made in the past couple of years, include support for a $20 Audyssey smartphone app which allows you to adjust the desired frequency response curve. Unfortunately, the NR1504 is too old to be compatible with the Audyssey app.

Selden

post #53 of 54 Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 AM

So I got a Audyssey microphone and redid the setup. I like the sound better now. Not sure if it is what I want it to be, but we are moving in couple of weeks. I see how it the system sound in the new place where speaker placement will be easier. I still have some questions though:

1.) If I use the (Pure) Direct Mode the room correction will be turn off, right? Therefore, the will be no correction for the speakers not being at equal distances to the listening position.

2.)
Quote:
Not sure if your actually underpowered.Would you benefit with more yes. I.
. Why would I benefit if I am not underpowered? As long as I am using the AVR to drive only 2 channels, the 2x 50W at 8 Ohm shouldn't it be enough listen to music with volumes above slightly 100db? Or am I missing something?

3.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Audyssey tries to generate a "flat" frequency response. Most people prefer a "sloped" frequency response, with more bass than treble. The usual workaround for older receivers requires there to be a subwoofer in the system. People typically turn up its trim level (in the receiver) by about 5dB.

Newer D+M receivers, those made in the past couple of years, include support for a $20 Audyssey smartphone app which allows you to adjust the desired frequency response curve. Unfortunately, the NR1504 is too old to be compatible with the Audyssey app.
Interesting! So I could either get a newer AVR or add a subwoofer. What would you consider the more worthwhile investment?

post #54 of 54 Old 02-25-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredHornet View Post
So I got a Audyssey microphone and redid the setup. I like the sound better now. Not sure if it is what I want it to be, but we are moving in couple of weeks. I see how it the system sound in the new place where speaker placement will be easier. I still have some questions though:

1.) If I use the (Pure) Direct Mode the room correction will be turn off, right? Therefore, the will be no correction for the speakers not being at equal distances to the listening position.
Sorry, I dunno. Some people claim that you should be correct, but I don't know of anyone who's actually tried to find out for sure.

However, with a 2.0 system that shouldn't matter since both speakers should be the same distance from the main listening position. Distance measurements are important when speakers are at differing distances and their delays need to be adjusted so that sounds that should be heard simultaneously from both fronts and surround speakers actually are heard at the same time.

Quote:
2.) . Why would I benefit if I am not underpowered? As long as I am using the AVR to drive only 2 channels, the 2x 50W at 8 Ohm shouldn't it be enough listen to music with volumes above slightly 100db? Or am I missing something?
You are correct: if your receiver is able to produce the desired sound level at your main listening position without causing distortions, then you don't need an external amp or a more powerful receiver.
Quote:
3.) Interesting! So I could either get a newer AVR or add a subwoofer. What would you consider the more worthwhile investment?
I'd recommend a quality subwoofer. It'd offload the amplification of the power-hungry low frequencies from the receiver and would take over the lowest freqencies that your main speakers are struggling to reproduce. It's a long-term investment, too. New receivers are released every year with new "must have" features, but quality speakers can last a very long time. Internet-direct companies like SVS and HSU can provide cost-effective speakers. For details, see the subwoofer sub-forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...s-transducers/

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page