New $300 UHD Video Pack from Samsung - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by docevil View Post

http://www.stuff.tv/samsung/samsung-uhd-video-pack-4k-hard-drive-makes-even-rubbish-films-look-pretty/news

It's $300 for the device which is preloaded with 5 movies and 3 documentaries. Once you’ve got the UHD Video Pack at home you can download more movies and documentaries from a dedicated portal and they’re included in the price of the device.

Edit: With 50 titles rumored this sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me. Lots of hate in this thread.

Thanks, maybe your post will ease some of that hatred. I'm curious as to what the other movies are. 50 is a very decent amount of movies providing there is some top tier films and some great documentaries and shorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:

http://www.stuff.tv/samsung/samsung-uhd-video-pack-4k-hard-drive-makes-even-rubbish-films-look-pretty/news

It's $300 for the device which is preloaded with 5 movies and 3 documentaries. Once you’ve got the UHD Video Pack at home you can download more movies and documentaries from a dedicated portal and they’re included in the price of the device.

Edit: With 50 titles rumored this sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me. Lots of hate in this thread.

You are 100% correct, I edited the original post.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #33 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I know of a early adopter of 4k (a sony vw1000 owner) who has spent a lot more money than 300$ on timescapes alone.

First the movie and then upgrading the computer so he could play it wink.gif

All in all if you have a 4k display why not, there is a real dirge in actuall 4k content and personally YouTube doesn't quite cut it trying to show your wife or buddies why you have been living off ramen noodels for 5 years but spent 20k$+ on home theater equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
IRJ

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Now is they released this device with new master copies in UHD and colored versions of a range of say 20 movies featuring 1930/1950 Gene Kelley type material this would be an instant buy for me.
In 1989 Swissair showed upgraded (to I guess newly colored SD quality then) on their long distance flights and since then I have looked and looked for a good supply and failed.
CXENTE likes this.

Ian
post #35 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Still nothing on the audio included on these movies?

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #36 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:

if there's no extra fee per download, then 300bux starts to sound like a great deal. even with a subscription fee it's not that bad

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #37 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

if there's no extra fee per download, then 300bux starts to sound like a great deal. even with a subscription fee it's not that bad

According to WhatHiFi.com, the 4K movies take up about 34GB a piece, so the drive should be able to hold approx. 30 full length movies.  If it's true that there is no additional cost to download them then $300 for 30 movies ($10 per movie) is indeed a great deal (provided the majority of the first 50 titles are worth watching).

Is anyone concerned about how Sony/Samsung are limiting their media players to work with only their tv's and the exclusivity of certain movie titles based upon agreements with the studios (i.e. Sony/Columbia films are only going to be available in 4K from Sony, using a Sony UHDTV and media player, while Samsung appears to be working with 20th Century Fox to be the exclusive provider of 20th Century Fox films in 4K.)  To a pessimist, this appears to be shaping up as a war of content as much as a war of hardware specs/sales.  My hope is that this trend doesn't last long once other content providers become more involved (Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Instant, iTunes, etc.)  Hopefully, 4K blu-ray will help to squash this as well once it becomes a reality.  Nobody wants to be restricted from watching certain movies in 4K because they bought a Sony UHDTV & media players instead of a Samsung UHDTV & media pack or vice versa.  What's next?  Is LG going to get an exclusive with MGM?

post #38 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This smacks of early, early, early beta /hamster testing. By the time worthwhile 4K content is available on disk, TV and projector prices will be at relatively sane prices. See you then.
gamermwm likes this.
post #39 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Man, most of you are missing an important detail. You can download up to 50 free movies with this. The original 5 are just the ones pre-loaded. This isn't a bad deal, as long as you can see the additional title selection prior to purchasing. What everyone should really be upset about is the proprietary nature of the content. What are you supposed to do when your TV breaks and you decide to buy a different brand next time around?
David Susilo and CXENTE like this.

Former cog in the giant wheel of the TV/CE industry.
post #40 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

According to WhatHiFi.com, the 4K movies take up about 34GB a piece, so the drive should be able to hold approx. 30 full length movies.  If it's true that there is no additional cost to download them then $300 for 30 movies ($10 per movie) is indeed a great deal (provided the majority of the first 50 titles are worth watching).

Is anyone concerned about how Sony/Samsung are limiting their media players to work with only their tv's and the exclusivity of certain movie titles based upon agreements with the studios (i.e. Sony/Columbia films are only going to be available in 4K from Sony, using a Sony UHDTV and media player, while Samsung appears to be working with 20th Century Fox to be the exclusive provider of 20th Century Fox films in 4K.)  To a pessimist, this appears to be shaping up as a war of content as much as a war of hardware specs/sales.  My hope is that this trend doesn't last long once other content providers become more involved (Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Instant, iTunes, etc.)  Hopefully, 4K blu-ray will help to squash this as well once it becomes a reality.  Nobody wants to be restricted from watching certain movies in 4K because they bought a Sony UHDTV & media players instead of a Samsung UHDTV & media pack or vice versa.  What's next?  Is LG going to get an exclusive with MGM?

interesting thought. I'm sure once there's competition the exclusivity isn't going to continue.

also. I see the 300bux as buying you more than 'just' 30 movies, I'm sure you can delete them and redownload when needed. it may not be super convenient, but having a 30movie 'buffer' should be good enough for most ppl. the question still comes back to IP's though. will they let you download 100's of gb's a month without charging extra?

post #41 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
L_T

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What came 1st? The chicken or the egg?

TV manufacturers are once again jumping the gun and trying to push features and standards that aren't mainstream yet. It is the early days of HD. Then blu-ray vs HD-DVD.

The fact of the matter is that they haven't finalized the standard for 4K encoding and transmission for the home market. At least not one that is agreed upon by most of the movie studios and hardware makers. We all know that the 4K TV's and equipment that was initially sold in the beginning will probably be incompatible. HDMI 2.0 finally started being introduced in new receivers. HDMI 1.4b probably wasn''t going to be able to cut it to handle the amount of data for audio and video required for 4K from whatever is serving it up.

Like someone mentioned this device is more or less something for them to sell to the people who buy the 4K sets and wonder why all the video they show on it doesn't look at good as the stuff in the store. And not owning a movie company or other entertainment company. Naturally they would get stuck with less than a stellar selection of movies. Even when a movie company back something like this the results aren't that good. Universal has one that it back and it only has a couple of the newer Universal movies. Once again not much of a selection. Same goes for the media box that Red (The Camera company) put out for 4K video media. It doesn't have any big name movies.

Most people that are rushing out to get 4K sets probably aren't worried about paying and extra $300. This day and age we have rich people with too much money who have Imax setups in their home with current movies being downloaded and paying a couple hundred dollars to view it once.

Someone mentioned Kalidescape. Once again, it is nice but it is several thousand dollars from the get go. Also, when you rip blu-rays the disc has to be in the drive in order to playback the ripped file. This is due to them being sued by the MPAA. They have however established an online store for people to buy HD movies. It will eat up your HDD space quickly.

Another person said this is just hardware that is overpriced. True, but people are paying for the ease of use and pretty interface. Not everyone is going to go through the trouble of buying/building a NAS. Then building mini XBMC/Plex clients for all over the house. Even that is not all that cheap.

As with DVD and Blu-ray/HD-DVD. Most consumers will sit out on the sidelines until the price comes down and it makes sense. They still need to all agree on a method of delivery and codec standard.

Samsung sold their HDD operation.

TV sales have been falling a lot. They need to keep pushing features and newer higher priced models with better profit margins.
post #42 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

interesting thought. I'm sure once there's competition the exclusivity isn't going to continue.

also. I see the 300bux as buying you more than 'just' 30 movies, I'm sure you can delete them and redownload when needed. it may not be super convenient, but having a 30movie 'buffer' should be good enough for most ppl. the question still comes back to IP's though. will they let you download 100's of gb's a month without charging extra?

Caps are typically around 250GB, IIRC. Could be an issue. That said, I know Comcast has temporarily lifted enforcement of their cap. Has been lifted for over a year now.

Former cog in the giant wheel of the TV/CE industry.
post #43 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM
L_T

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Caps are typically around 250GB, IIRC. Could be an issue. That said, I know Comcast has temporarily lifted enforcement of their cap. Has been lifted for over a year now.

The cap has been lifted only in certain areas. Other areas the caps were lifted and are back. As well as experiments with price and low data caps.

Fear the Time Warner and Comcast merger if it happens. A lot of people will get screwed.
post #44 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T View Post

The cap has been lifted only in certain areas. Other areas the caps were lifted and are back. As well as experiments with price and low data caps.

Fear the Time Warner and Comcast merger if it happens. A lot of people will get screwed.

Most areas are suspended. I think we're at like 700GB this month.
post #45 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It's worse than that.

It's almost a given most of the movies will be ones you won't want to watch.

Example - I bought a DVD player at one point that included 5 movies with it:

Stepmom
Stargate
Six Days Seven Nights
Lost in Space: New Line Platinum Series
Lethal Weapon 4: Premiere Collection

In other words, I got a DVD player that included Lethal Weapon 4, Stargate, and three decorative drink coasters.

LOL... i got that same deal.... so THAT is where I got those from....

Blazar!
post #46 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:

It's not as if these guys are actually competing for the same houses even now... it is a practical monopoly now.

Blazar!
post #47 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
On top of everything else (I agree with most everything said so far), I know three of those films were finished/posted at 2K so the UHD version is a blow-up. I'm going to check on the other two.

If the documentaries are from IMAX, it could be that they are the only true 4K images on the device ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #48 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 670
$60 for UHD movie is not a lot. This is a niche market. Just like LaserDisc. They were sold for $100+ at the time (this is when the price of gas in Canada was 49c per litre...now it's $1.30 per litre).

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #49 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:

funny that people are willing to pay $5K for the TV, complain about lack of content, and then when the content is being sold for $300 (up to 50 movies in Samsung's catalogue -- essentially $6 per movie) they bitch about it. rolleyes.gif

my home theatre
post #50 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

Still nothing on the audio included on these movies?

it's mono with 32 kbps MP3 encoding. biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif

my home theatre
post #51 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 541
^^ Thank God Samsung have finally done something right David. tongue.gif
post #52 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

I have yet to see an UHD TV but what is really gained with the extra resolution? You would need to sit so much closer to the screen to see the improvement. I do see the potential for larger (say 120") screens which is clearly projector territory.

I was a skeptic but the first time I saw a 46" Samsung 4K set at Best Buy from close up it was AMAZING. So much better than 1080p and almost like you could reach through the screen and touch it. But step back several feet and you lose the effect of the extra resolution. It's like if they sold a 3D glasses free tv that blows your socks off, but move back to where the couch sits in your room and you completely lose the effect making you question the purchase in the first place

I've got a 100" projector screen and I think I'll wait for prices on 4K projectors to fall in price before I jump on the 4K bandwagon. At least in that case from 6-10 feet away hopefully 4K will still be worth my purchase and all the extra money I would have to spend on content

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #53 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Man, most of you are missing an important detail. You can download up to 50 free movies with this. The original 5 are just the ones pre-loaded. This isn't a bad deal, as long as you can see the additional title selection prior to purchasing. What everyone should really be upset about is the proprietary nature of the content. What are you supposed to do when your TV breaks and you decide to buy a different brand next time around?

eBay
post #54 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sony/samsung can't sell 4k tv's because there is no content. Sony finally has the puck to help sales and samsung has this so you have something to watch on your new 4k tv. Look for this to be 'bundled' with some samsung tv's to drive sales.
post #55 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823

Does anyone know what level of HDCP (1.3/2.2) the Samsung UHD video pack content is encrypted with?  If it's the newer HDCP 2.2, will it work with the 1st gen Samsung UHDTV's (F9000 series) or will they require a hardware upgrade like the 1st gen Sony UHDTV's (850A/900A series) did to be able to use the Sony 4K media player?

post #56 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

It's not as if these guys are actually competing for the same houses even now... it is a practical monopoly now.
No, but people talk amongst each other, market to market and bad press is still bad press.

When you have one market with, say Comcast, where people are complaining about lack of speed, low bandwidth caps or lack of HD content while a TWC market is bragging about not having to suffer through that stuff, it doesn't make Comcast look good overall. The reverse would also be true.

So, while TWC and Comcast don't compete in the same retail market, they do compete in the market of public opinion. That may mean the difference between having a subscriber to the cable company or a subscriber to D*, E*, the telcos or even someone with no paid TV service at all.

The most successful companies are those that make those who can't get the service jealous. If you lose that, you lose that baseline of service from comparable options. It means people can't compare what could be in their market.

The dirty secret is that cable doesn't really compete with satellite or the telcos. They compete with the reputation that cable service has with people.
post #57 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

just fyi, i'm from canada, the land of free health care and 100% markups on cellular and internet services.

whatever you guys are paying, i'm probably paying double, and getting half the speed, with half the cap. recently my IP raised their cap from 100gb's to i think 150 now. all i know is i was paying them for years while only using about 2gb a month, and the first month i hit 110, i got an email warning me to stop or they charge me extra...

this is where i go conspiracy theory, but our internet providers, are also the companies that provide cable tv. and i'm sure it hasn't slipped their view that increasing data caps would lessen the need for many ppl to have cable tv.

post #58 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

our internet providers, are also the companies that provide cable tv. and i'm sure it hasn't slipped their view that increasing data caps would lessen the need for many ppl to have cable tv.

Absolutely. I just wish they would embrace that role and offer better internet service, optimized for video streaming.

If all the players involved would look at the big picture, they could get more accurate viewership ratings over the entire nation instead of a cross section. They could adjust their production budgets relative to what people actually want to watch. They could stop spending money producing garbage to fill 20 hours of a network that has 4 successful hours per day. They could stop wasting their video bandwidth to run programming that nobody watches. The cable companies would no longer be held hostage by the content providers. The viewers could pay for what they want.

Everyone wins?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #59 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

funny that people are willing to pay $5K for the TV, complain about lack of content, and then when the content is being sold for $300 (up to 50 movies in Samsung's catalogue -- essentially $6 per movie) they bitch about it. rolleyes.gif

Hold on, there was a fact change to the OP.

This was originally posted as a $300 for an HDD with 5 movies, thus $60 a movie.  Later clarification detailed the download abilities to get more movies, apparently within the same price making this $6 a movie.

Big change.

thrillcat likes this.
post #60 of 205 Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

Hold on, there was a fact change to the OP.

This was originally posted as a $300 for an HDD with 5 movies, thus $60 a movie.  Later clarification detailed the download abilities to get more movies, apparently within the same price making this $6 a movie.

Big change.

EXACTLY! That's an order of magnitude and therefore a huge difference.

My concern is that both HDD download solutions (Sony's and Samsung's) is the quality of what they're calling 4K. The movies need to look better than BD; the closer to the quality of the clips, the better. If it looks minimally better than upscaled BD on my projector, there's no motivation on my part to pay their prices. $6 a movie may be a different story as that's a good BD sale price. It's all about quality, convenience, and price IMHO.
SMHarman likes this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page