New $300 UHD Video Pack from Samsung - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1 of 205 Old 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8736 Post(s)
Liked: 15253

Yesterday at The Guggenheim in NYC, Samsung introduced its complete 2014 lineup of UHDTVs. The focus of the event was on curved screens and 4K/UHD resolution, but the company also introduced its solution for 4K/UHD content delivery: The UHD Video Pack. It consists of a 1-terabyte hard drive pre-loaded with content from 20th Century Fox and Paramount Pictures. You get five movies total, plus three unnamed documentaries.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Samsung's new UHD Video Pack

Quote:
"With Samsung’s exclusive UHD Video Pack (1 terabyte of available data), consumers can watch Hollywood blockbusters such as Night at the Museum, The Counselor and X-Men Origins: Wolverine from 20th Century Fox as well as G.I. Joe: Retaliation and World War Z from Paramount Pictures. The Samsung UHD Video Pack, which also includes 3 documentaries, will be available in April for $299.99. Samsung plans to release a second UHD Video Pack with more UHD content in the second half of this year." source: Samsung press release

$300 is a steep price for five blockbuster films and three documentaries. In fact, it costs less to buy Blu-ray editions of the same movies—along with a brand-new Blu-ray player. Despite the relatively high cost, the UHD Video Pack presents a viable solution for getting 4K/UHD content into consumer's homes—even homes that have limited internet access. 

The good news is that Samsung will provide additional UHD content for download, accessible free of charge to owners of the UHD Video Pack. Hopefully, UHD Video Pack owners will find enough content to their liking to justify the expense and the limited selection of unnamed movies.

Three of the five titles in the UHD Video Pack come from 20th Century Fox, represented at the Samsung event by president Mike Dunn (left), who appeared on stage with Samsung EVP Joe Stinziano

I wonder how visible the improvement in picture quality is versus watching Blu-rays of the same movies. Would you consider buying movies this way, pre-loaded as a bundle on a hard drive with a promise of additional downloads, in order to watch those movies in 4K/UHD resolution? 

edited to clarify that the video pack includes access to additional downloadable content

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 205 Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 96
No way. $60 per movie? mad.gif
blake18 and steve1971 like this.
post #3 of 205 Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

While I agree it's a lot, we are talking early adopter territory here. After all, how much did that Sony thing cost with how many movies out of the gate?

Consider this: with a large 4K screen and native 4K content, this potentially allows you to not spend $60 a movie to take the family out to the theater.

In my case, though, it would be a bad deal since I already don't go to the theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 205 Old 03-22-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8736 Post(s)
Liked: 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

While I agree it's a lot, we are talking early adopter territory here. After all, how much did that Sony thing cost with how many movies out of the gate?

Consider this: with a large 4K screen and native 4K content, this potentially allows you to not spend $60 a movie to take the family out to the theater.

In my case, though, it would be a bad deal since I already don't go to the theater.

The hardest thing for me to swallow is that you don't get to choose the movies. It's those five movies!

However, it could set a precedent for selling UHD movies bundled on hard drives. It's certainly not out of the question—the drive itself is only a small part of the $300 cost, there's room for the price to drop.

Scott Simonian and Dbuudo07 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 205 Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I view it as $75 per movie. Bad math? It's almost a given that one of those movies is something you won't want to watch.
toddman36 likes this.
post #6 of 205 Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

I view it as $75 per movie. Bad math? It's almost a given that one of those movies is something you won't want to watch.
It's worse than that.

It's almost a given most of the movies will be ones you won't want to watch.

Example - I bought a DVD player at one point that included 5 movies with it:

Stepmom
Stargate
Six Days Seven Nights
Lost in Space: New Line Platinum Series
Lethal Weapon 4: Premiere Collection

In other words, I got a DVD player that included Lethal Weapon 4, Stargate, and three decorative drink coasters.
CXENTE likes this.
post #7 of 205 Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV 

It's almost a given most of the movies will be ones you won't want to watch.

Example - I bought a DVD player at one point that included 5 movies with it:

Stepmom
Stargate
Six Days Seven Nights
Lost in Space: New Line Platinum Series
Lethal Weapon 4: Premiere Collection

In other words, I got a DVD player that included Lethal Weapon 4, Stargate, and three decorative drink coasters.
I reallly like Six Days Seven Nights smile.gif

$300 UHD video pack, and it only works on a Samsung TV

five movies in UHD quality
- The Counselor - not recommended http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_counselor_2013/
- GI Joe: Retalation - not recommended (i've seen that one on blu-ray already) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe_retaliation/
- WAR Z - recommended (i've seen that one on blu-ray already frown.gif)
- Nigh at the Museum - recommended (i've seen that one on blu-ray already frown.gif)
- X-Men Originis: Wolverine - recommended (i've seen that one on blu-ray already frown.gif)
+ three documentaries (probably documentaries originally produced for IMAX theaters such as The Last Reef and The Grand Canyon Adventure)
post #8 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 199
UHD is dead on arrival.. This is a total mess.. 1080p Blu-ray for the next 15 years/.
blake18, Ballis, gamermwm and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 473
That's pricey. DVDs and Blurays, while they started with higher prices than what they were replacing, were still only a $10-15 premium over the existing tech. This is 3 or 4x the cost of blurays, and you can't choose the content you want?

No thanks. No thanks at all.

You have your early adopters (way too much expendable income, not much passion for home theater - just want to show off), the tech geeks (who love their home theater and want the best tech, can't afford it right away but will buy into it as soon as they can afford it), and then the general public.

The general public might buy the player/display when they can afford it, but they're going to want to rent the software titles until the prices drop down to the $20 range. They WILL NOT pay more than what they currently pay for Bluray. And why should they? They didn't have to pay more when they went from DVD to Bluray, or from VHS to DVD.

I don't see how they'll be able to rent software titles in this format OR at this price point, which will prevent the vast majority of the public from ever caring enough to buy the hardware.

The guys who are on avsforum on a Monday mid-afternoon are their target audience, and I haven't seen one post here yet saying "sounds good, where do I sign up?"

UHD tech in general is pushing the target market into the general public. We're looking harder at better ways to upscale our Blurays than chomping to pay their asinine prices for native UHD content.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #10 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 137

Will Netflix send me this in the mail for a UHD upgrade fee just like they send me BluRay for the BluRay upgrade fee?

Makes the Cinema One seem a bargain.

http://kaleidescape.com/products/cinema-one/

$4000, 50 movies, thats $80 a movie and then you have the ability to add more!

post #11 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
I think it's an interesting stepping stone.

I'd like to think of it as a $100 hdd with 200 worth of content(although even those numbers don't look so good) and after that initial cost of hardware, there may be the option for some discounted software.

maybe in the interim they will offer 'singles' on UBS drives, and perhaps even consider a 'red box' style of distribution. instead of going to a red box to rent a movie, you could go there with your own usb drive, and 'buy' a movie that is transferred to your usb, then that can be transferred on to your HDD at home for playback

I have no idea what the final plan is, but I do believe content needs to be available for distribution in a method OTHER than streaming/downloading for UHD to take off in the mainstream. to be blunt, I don't think any of the IP's in my area would even allow me to use the bandwidth necessary, let alone be anywhere close to capable of streaming it. I believe I have a cap of about 150gb a month, which would only be sufficient if I could store these movies locally. I mean buying 'only' one movie a month isn't a problem. but watching only one movie a month would be.

anyway, I'm all for options. while 300bux for 5 movies isn't a deal in my book(especially when I wouldn't want all 5 of those movies), it may lead to something a little more practical. maybe you go online and order a HDD with the movies you pick, and then it's mailed to you. and maybe they produce enough to lower costs. I just worry about the environmental cost of replacing discs with HDD's
CXENTE likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #12 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Rudy1, blake18, bulls and 4 others like this.
post #13 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'm trying to look at the bright side. With this device, 20th Century Fox and Paramount are finally providing 4K content to consumers (joining Sony). Things are moving slowly, but in the right direction.
post #14 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Was there a mention of what audio codecs is on these movies? At that price it better be a lossless format.

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut), PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
Sony X800
post #15 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I can appreciate Samsng trying to get content into people's homes to justify the tech leap, but ths feels like a misstep. The movie choices are unimpressive and the price tag is a turnoff considering what the UHD displays are going for right now. I'm glad companies re spitballing ideas on getting content available though.
post #16 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Uh Wow! Yes huge misstep, early adopter or not. I thought this was an April Fools Joke, but we're not there yet for a few days.

Wow this is real life eh?
post #17 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 828
While Sony's FPM-X1 costs more, it has a 2TB drive (with USB3 plug for more and archival), came with 10 free movies last year, and you could rent ($5) or buy more movies for a little over BD MSRP (@ $30).

The issue is until Hollywood shoots AND masters the entire movie (incl. CGI) in 4K, the quality and full potential is not there with what's being delivered. That's the case with Columbia titles and suspect the same will be true for the other studio titles on this Samsung. The documentaries are probably great though.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #18 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I remember back in the early days of HD when Mark Cuban was around here asking if we would rent 1080p content mailed to the house on HDDs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

-Suntan
post #19 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

While Sony's FPM-X1 costs more, it has a 2TB drive (with USB3 plug for more and archival), came with 10 free movies last year, and you could rent ($5) or buy more movies for a little over BD MSRP (@ $30).

The issue is until Hollywood shoots AND masters the entire movie (incl. CGI) in 4K, the quality and full potential is not there with what's being delivered. That's the case with Columbia titles and suspect the same will be true for the other studio titles on this Samsung. The documentaries are probably great though.

4K 'prints' exist though, they are being delivered to the movie theater servers to play out on their 4K projection systems.

post #20 of 205 Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpuss View Post

You said it.
blake18 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #21 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Looks to me this collection only really works as a simple demo for 4k tvs in a sales room against such know it all's as us who keep saying they don't have any 'real' 4k material.

And well since Samsung probably just uses some spare disks from their harddrive division they might as well charge a premium and sell it to regular customers as well.
imagic and gamermwm like this.
post #22 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

That's pricey. DVDs and Blurays, while they started with higher prices than what they were replacing, were still only a $10-15 premium over the existing tech. This is 3 or 4x the cost of blurays, and you can't choose the content you want?

You have your early adopters (way too much expendable income, not much passion for home theater - just want to show off), the tech geeks (who love their home theater and want the best tech, can't afford it right away but will buy into it as soon as they can afford it), and then the general public.

The general public might buy the player/display when they can afford it, but they're going to want to rent the software titles until the prices drop down to the $20 range. They WILL NOT pay more than what they currently pay for Bluray. And why should they? They didn't have to pay more when they went from DVD to Bluray, or from VHS to DVD.

I don't see how they'll be able to rent software titles in this format OR at this price point, which will prevent the vast majority of the public from ever caring enough to buy the hardware.

The guys who are on avsforum on a Monday mid-afternoon are their target audience, and I haven't seen one post here yet saying "sounds good, where do I sign up?"

UHD tech in general is pushing the target market into the general public. We're looking harder at better ways to upscale our Blurays than chomping to pay their asinine prices for native UHD content.

UHD is brand new. We did this all before for HD. Probably the most unique element of the mix this time has been the effect of the Chinese manufacturers on forcing pricing down at the outset.. For example, Samsung, LG, and Sony have 55" UHDTVs that MSRP for $3500. Seiki has their 50" UHDTV for $700 at Newegg right now. We didn't have such a delta in prices when HD was new (at least not in the US), thus the time period to make HDTVs a commodity was 5-6 years. I'd be surprised if we didn't see UHDTVs from the major players next year for $1800, because of the TCLs and Seikis of the world.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #23 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

UHD is brand new. We did this all before for HD. Probably the most unique element of the mix this time has been the effect of the Chinese manufacturers on forcing pricing down at the outset.. For example, Samsung, LG, and Sony have 55" UHDTVs that MSRP for $3500. Seiki has their 50" UHDTV for $700 at Newegg right now. We didn't have such a delta in prices when HD was new (at least not in the US), thus the time period to make HDTVs a commodity was 5-6 years. I'd be surprised if we didn't see UHDTVs from the major players next year for $1800, because of the TCLs and Seikis of the world.

I would honestly be more surprised if we don't see <1500$ uhd TVs next year, projectors though will still remain high in price but that is honestly a rather different question especially considering the quality needed in optics.

Majority of TV broadcasts here in Norway is still 480p, with the large networks (using the word large rather freely) touting a 720p stream.
I think there is a satellite provider that can offer 1080p but those channels I could probably count on half a hand, and they charge a premium.
Yeah I think can wait a couple of generations and not really miss much :-P
post #24 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:

I was talking about content, not the hardware. The prices of the hardware are hitting reasonable levels, but content is hard to come by, and this specific business model is a terrible ripoff.

The point about it being a good delivery method for showroom demos is a very good point, though. Now if they would just sell a drive with Space Jam, The Mask, and The Fugitive, walking into any home theater showroom would be just like 1996!
rezzy likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #25 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

I think you are wrong about the "way too much expendable income, not much passion and show off" statement. Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in purchasing the server but If I did, it wouldn't be for bragging rights. It would be for demo material. I'm sure you've quite often heard folks around here mention demo or reference material. As for no passion, that is a pretty flippant statement as how would you know whether or not someone here has passion. If anything, folks who come to AVS are the passionate ones about this industry and technology.
post #26 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
^^ i'm not sure why you're so upset, since you made the statement "i'm not interested in purchasing the server" then you are clearly NOT the type of person he was talking about...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #27 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

And old ones at that!

piss off then
post #28 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I have yet to see an UHD TV but what is really gained with the extra resolution? You would need to sit so much closer to the screen to see the improvement. I do see the potential for larger (say 120") screens which is clearly projector territory.

post #29 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8900 Post(s)
Liked: 5689
Quote:

the problem is those are all small sets. I would need to sit only a few feet away from the screen to really apreciate the difference. The larger 4K screen sizes( like 70", 80", and 90") need to come down in price. Since sizes like that and larger are what is needed to really appreciate the 4K resolution.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #30 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://www.stuff.tv/samsung/samsung-uhd-video-pack-4k-hard-drive-makes-even-rubbish-films-look-pretty/news

It's $300 for the device which is preloaded with 5 movies and 3 documentaries. Once you’ve got the UHD Video Pack at home you can download more movies and documentaries from a dedicated portal and they’re included in the price of the device.

Edit: With 50 titles rumored this sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me. Lots of hate in this thread.
David Susilo and CXENTE like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page