Redbox to Close Over 500 Kiosks This Year - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by els View Post

The reservation system with redbox is why I use the system. I also subscribe to Netflix disc, but I am never guaranteed the disc I have at number on in my queue will be mailed. with redbox, I reserve it, and it is mine.

I have essentially stopped buying blue-ray movies as a protest to the pricing, and trying to make me pay for a digital copy I have no desire to own, and will never use. the studios need to wake up, and make discs more affordable, and they will not lose market share to streaming..

You may not want a digital copy but some of us do. Granted I wish studios would just sell a digital copy in store for 5.00 (as the are no production costs for a disc just a cardboard slip covering the redemption code). I know Wal Mart did that for awhile at 10.00 a code but they stopped. Probably too many thefts. But since I can buy most codes for 5.00 in HDX online I can't complain. Only thing that sucks is when I go to buy a title and my vendor has already sold out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Your mailbox is farther away than the Redbox thingie?
Funny you should say that.

Mine actually is, at least for mailing out. I live on a walking route which means mail is incoming only to my box at home. My nearest post office is a few blocks away on the way to work, but so are several Red Box locations. Several other Red Box locations are right where I shop for groceries and other things, so I'm usually near one.

However, I do Netflix because I'm not at the mercy of what movies are available in the Boxes that week and receiving the movies in my mail box definitely is more convenient.
post #453 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

You may not want a digital copy but some of us do. Granted I wish studios would just sell a digital copy in store for 5.00 (as the are no production costs for a disc just a cardboard slip covering the redemption code). I know Wal Mart did that for awhile at 10.00 a code but they stopped. Probably too many thefts. But since I can buy most codes for 5.00 in HDX online I can't complain. Only thing that sucks is when I go to buy a title and my vendor has already sold out.
Honestly, I prefer the DVD/Blu combo packs (yes, I'm that guy).

The reason is, I still have a couple of DVD players and my family members haven't gone Blu yet (my parents have a DVD recorder that they use to archive DVR recordings, so they aren't giving that up any time soon). That gives me flexibility.

Plus, I can make my own digital copies from the DVD, unlike Blu where I haven't found a free all in one solution that works as well as those for DVD. On small devices, Blu-ray quality doesn't matter.

Since I'm an Android user, I can be assured my home made digital copies will work with my devices, unlike some of my I-Tunes acquired copies that didn't fare so well.

Plus, I don't have to jump on redeeming a code right away for fear it might expire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 856
NetworkTV: You could aways sell the coupon for 5 bucks and re-coupe your cost, or download it and sell the Blu-Rays off. wink.gif I am with you, I like Combo packs as well as it gives me choices, and I think they are doing it to say look people are downloading more, or what do you mean DVD is dead, look at our sales! wink.gif Either way I like it.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #455 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Funny you should say that.

Mine actually is, at least for mailing out. I live on a walking route which means mail is incoming only to my box at home. My nearest post office is a few blocks away on the way to work, but so are several Red Box locations. Several other Red Box locations are right where I shop for groceries and other things, so I'm usually near one.

However, I do Netflix because I'm not at the mercy of what movies are available in the Boxes that week and receiving the movies in my mail box definitely is more convenient.

I've used Netflix for many years. Sometimes using their 3-at-a-time membership, sometimes one disk at a time, and sometimes I've put my membership on hold for several months. Now, I also subscribe to Netflix streaming. My main gripe about Netflix is that newer movie titles take too long to add to their library. Many times I've noticed RedBox will have a newer movie before Netflix gets it.

I've not always liked RedBox, and used to call it "Scratch Box" because so many movies I rented were apparently abused by people/kids as if they were playing a frisbee golf game. This has greatly improved over the last 18 months, and I think it's because of "where" I actually go to rent. Publix, our Florida supermarket of choice for most in my neighborhood, has put in RedBox inside their stores. The people that seem to use it take adequate care in handling the disks. Rare to see a problem now. Netflix and RedBox all have their pros & cons, but it's really nice sometimes to rent a movie on the spur of the moment as I'm leaving the store. Also, the RedBox feature that allows you to reserve a movie online prior to picking it up is a great idea. I do wish Netflix and RedBox would offer the 3D version on a few select titles, especially the ones that use a lot of CGI.
post #456 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

NetworkTV: You could aways sell the coupon for 5 bucks and re-coupe your cost,

Who pays $5 for these coupons? Is it easy to sell? Or a pain (like ebay)?
post #457 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Quote:

NetworkTV: You could aways sell the coupon for 5 bucks and re-coupe your cost,

Who pays $5 for these coupons? Is it easy to sell? Or a pain (like ebay)?

No need for ebay, there is media codes thread in the classified section here.You can buy,sell or trade the codes.
post #458 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

No need for ebay, there is media codes thread in the classified section here.You can buy,sell or trade the codes.

Ok, I'll check it out. Didn't know people would pay that much for the codes!
post #459 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 75
fleaman I buy codes all the time for 5.00 on newer titles in HDX. You just have to make sure that the codes your selling are still valid as some expire after a certain date (depending on studio). If anyone has codes to the latest Wal Mart MGM titles display that they just put up send me a PM. the discs are 8.99 for the Bluray but I'll pay 5.00 for the enclosed Vudu Codes. I already own all the titles so don't want to buy the Blurays again to get the Vudu codes.
post #460 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

History is 720p, not 1080i.

Actually, History is 1080i; it is H2 that is 720p. At least that is how it arrives on Comcast where I live.

And whoever has maintained this Wikipedia page reports the same thing as the HD DVR I am renting from Comcast.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #461 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

You definitely watch movies in day light and with lights on ,oh wait!!! you like to save energy! so you must noticed how a lcd led look in the dark beside the off angle problems.

I actually watch with two CFLs on behind me because without some light, the glare on my glasses is horrible. I'd much rather go totally dark and turn the TV brightness down, but unfortunately with my current glasses, that's not very practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Weight and energy consumption are byproducts and have nothing to do with the actual PQ performance, but you're just playing coy and will be summarily ignored henceforth.

They are still factors in choosing a display technology. Up until right around the point that plasma died, the plasmas were incredibly heavy, chewed through a massive amount of power, and as a result kicked off a LOT of heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Ooooo....THX Certified!
Sounds like the licensing fee Onkyo paid to Lucas film was $$ well spent for that logo, as it was a factor in you choosing that system.
Sorry BigggggAWesomenet, sometimes it's hard to separate the Vudu from the Voodoo.

I would have bought it anyways, as it is an excellent system for $700, BUT the THX certification is an objective measure of it being a decent system, and being able to provide a theatrical experience in a fairly small room. It would run out of power pretty quickly in a larger room.
Quote:
My TWC DVR up-converts everything to 1080i, whatever.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif You're complaining about the quality of streaming video and you're not using native mode on your DVR?!?!?!? By converting 720p to 10080i to 1080p, instead of going directly, you lose a LOT of image quality on 720p channels. I feed native mode out of my TiVo right into my video processor, so that it's not converted twice. That quality hit is orders of magnitude bigger than some maybe detectable slight difference between HDX and Blu-Ray.
Quote:
So far haven't had a failed movie night with Blu ray. With all the 'zillion things that could go wrong', it must be an incredible feat for me! One thing is for sure, with blu ray the discs and players are pretty reliable, and all I have to worry about is 1 disc and 1 blu ray player. And again, haven't had a failure once. If I had your set up, I would have to hope that Voodoo doesn't go down, all the servers in-between don't go down, your Comcast doesn't go down, your modem, your HTPC,etc. You only need 1 of those things in the chain to go out for your Voodoo to not work, only 1. And any one of those things have gone out for everyone here multiple, multiple times. Including you.

Honestly for my movie night, I'll stick to something that not only has NEVER gone out on me (so far), but provides better Audio and Video quality and at a cheaper price to boot!! Oh the irrationality of it all!!

My VUDU has never had an issue. So there. I don't think I've ever had a Blu-ray issue, although with DVDs back in the day, I had many that were scratched...
Quote:
Oh, and BTW, I reserve the movie at Redbox, so it is there when needed. Haven't had an issue yet. While a zillion things could happen, the odds are it will be with at least one of the Vudu/internet/ISP/HTPC chains vs 1 Redbox and my blu player/disc. Even if the Redbox was broken, there's my mom and pop video rental place 1/2 a block away + multiple other Redbox's within a mile or so. So it's fixable on my end. Unlike the situation losservatore had with Voodoo last night---can't fix that---other than going to a Redbox and renting a blu ray movie, LOL!!!

So what happens when they don't have the one you want? VUDU can't run out of movies. What the heck does an HTPC have to do with VUDU? If VUDU for some reason craps out, I could use iTunes or Amazon. And my car, which is very reliable in the whole scheme of cars, and breaks down once in a blue moon, is still less reliable than my Comcast connection.
Quote:

LCD never matched Plasma black levels when they first came out and some say they still haven't. Now LED backlit sets have come darn close.

Right, CCFL backlit LCDs were nowhere near Plasma. LEDs are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Be that as it may someone has to pay for the infrastructure upgrades in such a large country as USA ( fibre optic is often laid by the mile . It could be taxpayer funded rate subsidies,much higher subscription prices for all,Parcel tax assessments, Use taxes ,or ,some other method that ultimately costs the public at large or the ratepayers.

Yes, it's not free. However, most of the lack of broadband (and broadband competition in cities) today is due to lack of government oversight, and corrupt government regulation. Look at New Jersey, where Verizon promised what amounts to 100% FIOS, then decided not to do it, and New Jersey let them off the hook after giving them billions in tax subsidies to do it. Look at NYC, which already has TWC, but could sure use some better competition, where Verizon is dragging their feet on FIOS deployment, which they promised to the entire city (although not every building, due to building-specific issues that aren't a factor in areas with SFUs). Now, looking back at the rural areas that are not served today, many of them are in a zip code, municipality, or county where Comcast, TWC, Charter, or other cable carriers operate. In those areas, the DPUC/PUC of the various states should require complete buildout in the areas that have a cable system, like they do here in CT, where we are 100% cable franchised. For the remaining areas that are totally out there, like some areas out west, the USF is supposed to deploy service out there, but hasn't necessarily worked. A relatively small amount of subsidy for rural telco co-ops would fill in the remaining gaps.
Quote:
in 2011 the common fibreoptic costs for every location were $3,072, plus a variable cost per mile of outside plant. Broadly speaking, the total cost per home ranged from more than $20,000 per location to about $5,000 per location, for densities of up to about 2.5 homes per linear plant mile.
http://blog.performantnetworks.com/2012/11/how-much-does-rural-fiber-really-cost.html

OTOH new technologies such as HEVC and other protocols may allow broadband to piggyback on existing infrastructure soon or or at least work better on POTS lines no reson both technologies can't co exist . Also some new efficient DSL over POTS line broadband standards are being developed if we let the free market take care of it in due course it will be much cheaper in the long run.

The problem is, the market is completely broken. If the market were working, AT&T and Verizon would have has Corning backlogged on making fiber for the past 8+ years.
Quote:
Anytime you get government involved something for $10.00 on the free market instantly becomes $100.00.

Not necessarily. You can have private companies do the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

That's a sort of strange model, but if it works, it works... or maybe it doesn't. But theft shouldn't be an issue if they are worthless until activated at the register. That's how any other gift card or electronic redemption system works...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Actually, History is 1080i; it is H2 that is 720p. At least that is how it arrives on Comcast where I live.

And whoever has maintained this Wikipedia page reports the same thing as the HD DVR I am renting from Comcast.

Good find. That's interesting, they must have converted at some point- maybe when they went to MPEG-4 distribution?
post #462 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Sure, people shouldn't have faster internet than they need, but the minimum need for a decent experience these days is at least 12-15mbps, maybe more.

Sorry, that's a load of crap. I'm with fleaman. I browse web pages, listen to Pandora/Spotify/etc., watch streamed videos on my iPad, and that's IT. That's the only thing I use the internet for. All of this is easily done at 3mpbs. If there are software updates for any of my devices, I have no problem updating them while I sleep. I've NEVER needed updates right away nor have I ever cursed my "lack of broadband speed". 3mpbs - it doesn't matter what you call it - has NEVER been a problem for me.

My total bill from Comcast is $30/mo for their Economy Plus speed (no TV plan or equipment rental). I don't want *OR* need anything they can provide at $50/mo, much less $160/mo. For me, that's money just being thrown away! According to Comcast, I average about 50-60 GB a month. Most of that is likely Netflix on my iPad. I've never had any quality issues.

I spend most of my free time skiing, mountain biking and backpacking, and the majority of my evenings with friends, going out to dinner, or working on skis/bikes, so I don't spend a lot of time in front of screens, except for work. I don't even use OTA more than a handful of times per year - usually for major sporting events, which I prefer to watch at a bar for the social scene. I do enjoy movies in a high quality environment, so I make time for them about once or twice a week. I get a Bluray disc, either from Netflix or Redbox, and watch that on my projector (108" wide 2.35 screen).

That's great that your watching habits and entertainment desires are different, and that's too bad it requires such a high internet speed (and bill) for that to happen, but that doesn't mean *I* need more than 3mpbs, and it sounds like fleaman doesn't either. There's a large number of us out there. We're even likely the majority - with the average consumer paying for WAY more speed than they need.

FYI, hopefully this is displayed correctly, but here the plan I have. It costs $30/mo, not $20/mo, because I don't have any bundles (i.e. TV plan):
http://www.comcast.com/cen_internet
post #463 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BiggAW sorry to be nosy , do you work for Sitel? Telemarketing?
StinDaWg likes this.
post #464 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
I think my $51.00 including gateway/modem rental 18 Mbps U Verse Internet only plan is too much but that's MP (my problem ) and my choice . Otherwise it works well for me and is only $5.00 more than the next lowest plan . I watched plenty of Netflix on the old 3 Mbps plan and other than occasional buffering it it was nearly or virtually indistinguishable from DVD quality when decently upscaled to 1080p except for the usual mpeg artifacts in darker areas .it actually worked surprisingly well most of the time.

The thing with U verse there is no aftermarket equipment available and they won't sell you an RGW . You can find them on paybay but they still charge $6.00 mo. regardless
if it is your RGW or theirs so better to lease it with ATT that way they replace it when it breaks .

. When they upgraded the legacy DSL to U Verse FTTN here the choice was 6 or 12 Mbps with only $5.00 difference
or 25Mbps for a lot more.

The 12Mbps has since been moved up to 18Mbps at the same price as the 12 Mbps they no longer offer . Comcast 25Mbps is more mullah here than the 18Mbps ATT .
The last time I had Comcast the service always slowed down at peak times and frequently timed out sometimes for a day or two it may be better now or not? Their service was terrible the contracted techs were OK but thats about it and would take forever to get out .

The ATT employed techs (at least here) are much better trained and equipped and come out in one day. ofc I have not needed one since the latest service change .
and that was only to exchange a defective RGW.

To B.W's point Yes sometimes government oversight can help on the rare occasions it is done without graft and corruption or undue influence how often does that happen?
Might as well pull a slot machine government polices itself we all know how well that works aside from a few token cases . in any event fibreoptic build out at ~ 5,000 to 20,000
per household would not likely represent a small subsidy . There are emerging broadband technologies that should be able to remediate that.

If it weren't for Governments granting exclusive monopoly status to service providers in the first place we would have more competition and choices the marketplace would see to that. end of political rant .

Lindal wrote
Quote:
I spend most of my free time skiing, mountain biking and backpacking, so I don't spend a lot of time in front of screens, except for work. I don't even use OTA more than a handful of times per year - usually for major sporting events, which I prefer to watch at a bar for the social scene. I do enjoy movies, so I make time for them about once or twice a week. I get a Bluray disc, either from Netflix or Redbox, and watch that on my projector (108" wide 2.35 screen).

Cool I get it I used to ride X country MTB and catch some gravity when I could sometimes ~75 or more miles a week nothing wrong with a cold one and a game at the pub either!
108" screen is above my pay grade though (retired) . biggrin.gif

I use Redbox ,Netflix and Amazon streaming never tried VUDU .

As for HTIB rigs I've never been a big fan of them in general , a better quality 2.1 is more what I would use if given the choice , but I Imagine they are fine for some folks .

Out of the 5 sets here the Sammie plasma is the best picture followed by a Sony LED YMMV.

Anyway I'm getting bored now and probably being boring also ☺ can we talk about something else ?

hey anybody seen Vinny ? biggrin.gif
post #465 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Biggaw I ask because that can explain many things.
StinDaWg and tubetwister like this.
post #466 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

To B.W's point Yes sometimes government oversight can help on the rare occasions it is done without graft and corruption or undue influence how often does that happen?
Might as well pull a slot machine government polices itself we all know how well that works aside from a few token cases . in any event fibreoptic build out at ~ 5,000 to 20,000
per household would not likely represent a small subsidy . There are emerging broadband technologies that should be able to remediate that.

If it weren't for Governments granting exclusive monopoly status to service providers in the first place we would have more competition and choices the marketplace would see to that. end of political rant .

You have to have the government involved when there is a lack of competition, and because our government is corrupt, it is protecting monopolies instead of encouraging competition. Ideally, there would be several providers, but no one really knows if the US market can sustain 3 or more physical plants for high-speed broadband, most areas today have one or two.

Even if it is that high, which I don't believe it is, it's a relatively small amount considering how many people already have access from the major telcos. It would cost a lot more to get everyone to gigabit, although in a few years, with D3.1, it may well be possible over HFC, at least downstream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Sorry, that's a load of crap. I'm with fleaman. I browse web pages, listen to Pandora/Spotify/etc., watch streamed videos on my iPad, and that's IT. That's the only thing I use the internet for. All of this is easily done at 3mpbs. If there are software updates for any of my devices, I have no problem updating them while I sleep. I've NEVER needed updates right away nor have I ever cursed my "lack of broadband speed". 3mpbs - it doesn't matter what you call it - has NEVER been a problem for me.

My total bill from Comcast is $30/mo for their Economy Plus speed (no TV plan or equipment rental). I don't want *OR* need anything they can provide at $50/mo, much less $160/mo. For me, that's money just being thrown away! According to Comcast, I average about 50-60 GB a month. Most of that is likely Netflix on my iPad. I've never had any quality issues.

I spend most of my free time skiing, mountain biking and backpacking, and the majority of my evenings with friends, going out to dinner, or working on skis/bikes, so I don't spend a lot of time in front of screens, except for work. I don't even use OTA more than a handful of times per year - usually for major sporting events, which I prefer to watch at a bar for the social scene. I do enjoy movies in a high quality environment, so I make time for them about once or twice a week. I get a Bluray disc, either from Netflix or Redbox, and watch that on my projector (108" wide 2.35 screen).

That's great that your watching habits and entertainment desires are different, and that's too bad it requires such a high internet speed (and bill) for that to happen, but that doesn't mean *I* need more than 3mpbs, and it sounds like fleaman doesn't either. There's a large number of us out there. We're even likely the majority - with the average consumer paying for WAY more speed than they need.

FYI, hopefully this is displayed correctly, but here the plan I have. It costs $30/mo, not $20/mo, because I don't have any bundles (i.e. TV plan):

People who basically don't use something in the first place generally don't have much need for it. Anyone who actually uses technology and the internet needs at least 12-15mbps, if not more. I'm sitting here right now waiting for my new Wii U to download a software update. It's ridiculously slow, as Nintendo's servers seem to only be able to push me about 8mbps, even though the network segment the Wii U is on is capable of around 40mbps and this laptop can get around 100mbps. If everything was this slow, using technology would be rather painful.

Anyone who doesn't have a decent broadband connection, whether its because they actually can't get one, or because they are too stubborn to take advantage of what is available to them is just getting left behind.
Quote:

BiggAW sorry to be nosy , do you work for Sitel? Telemarketing?

Nope. If you read enough of my posts, you can narrow it down to one of three organizations.
post #467 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Nah, companies tend to grow until they reach monopoly or near-monopoly status even without any outside intervention.

Quote:
Anyone who actually uses technology and the internet needs at least 12-15mbps, if not more.

You are confusing "need" with "want". Everyone would love to instantly download stuff, but this does not mean that they really need 100mbps download to actually enjoy internet.

Non-frustrating usage requires a minimum of 2-3mbps download, but that's it. Updates, big downloads and whatnot can be done at night or on a schedule if the person isn't as impatient.

cajieboy and StinDaWg like this.
post #468 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 PM

BiggAW wrote ,
Quote:
You have to have the government involved when there is a lack of competition, and because our government is corrupt, it is protecting monopolies instead of encouraging competition. Ideally, there would be several providers, but no one really knows if the US market can sustain 3 or more physical plants for high-speed broadband, most areas today have one or two.

BiggAW wrote ,
Quote:
no one really knows if the US market can sustain 3 or more physical plants for high-speed broadband, most areas today have one or two.

Amazon or Google could build whatever we need , NSA already has it

let's think about this again BiggAW wrote ,
Quote:
"You have to have the government involved when there is a lack of competition, and because our government is corrupt, it is protecting monopolies"
........... think about it isn't that an oxymoron? you advise more of the same ?

I would fix the underlying problem problem first before giving them more things to screw up .

Quote:
People who basically don't use something in the first place generally don't have much need for it. Anyone who actually uses technology and the internet needs at least 12-15 mbps, if not more. I'm sitting here right now waiting for my new Wii U to download a software update. It's ridiculously slow,

We got way bigger fish to fry that that ! When was the last time you watched or read the news?

BiggAW wrote ,
Quote:
I'm sitting here right now waiting for my new Wii U to download a software update. It's ridiculously slow,

Really PS3 are slow to update also it's not the connection or the web in general they are allocating the slow download bandwidth on their end ,same with Nintendo both could stand to lease more servers or hire some better code monkeys .

I just go have a Coke or do something else . I remember when Napster took forever to download a track on dial up ! I didn't sit and wait I just populated my download queue at night and went to sleep!
Quote:
Anyone who actually uses technology and the internet needs at least 12-15mbps

That's a matter of opinion not a fact it depends on your usage ,a web page can often load just as fast on a 3-4 Mbps connection as a 100mps connection . I have 3 web Pages set to load when I launch chrome ,they all completely load virtually as soon as I click the mouse .... just like they did on 3-4 Mbps .

bobafetthotmail wrote ,
Quote:
Non-frustrating usage requires a minimum of 2-3mbps download, but that's it. Updates, big downloads and whatnot can be done at night or on a schedule if the person isn't as impatient.

I would agree with that I had 3-4 Mbps DSL for years and it generally worked fine if you made sensible allowances for large downloads like going and doing something else maybe have a Coke or something when large files were being downloaded .

BiggAW wrote ,
Quote:
Anyone who doesn't have a decent broadband connection, whether its because they actually can't get one, or because they are too stubborn to take advantage of what is available to them is just getting left behind.

By the same token is everyone without municipal sewer lines and using septic tanks and out houses in rural areas left behind ? Or would you have us build out public sewer systems and wastewater treatment plants and eliminate septic tanks everywhere even in the Ozark mountain wilderness?
StinDaWg likes this.
post #469 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know everyone hates telemarketing phone calls but you sound like one.biggrin.gif.... the pressure and the insisting,,,, helloooo .
StinDaWg and TowerGrove like this.
post #470 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:

People who basically don't use something in the first place generally don't have much need for it. Anyone who actually uses technology and the internet needs at least 12-15mbps, if not more.

You're absolutely right... the 50-60GB of data a month that goes through my cable modem is something I don't use at all... ever. I don't listen to Pandora for a couple hours most days. And I don't stream something via Netflix before I go to bed most nights. Oops, my mistake.

You're confusing your internet usage habits with the average person's usage habits.
Quote:
I'm sitting here right now waiting for my new Wii U to download a software update. It's ridiculously slow, as Nintendo's servers seem to only be able to push me about 8mbps, even though the network segment the Wii U is on is capable of around 40mbps and this laptop can get around 100mbps. If everything was this slow, using technology would be rather painful.

Ummm... just do it overnight? I've never run into a situation where I was FORCED to do an update immediately, though those gaming systems tend to live in a different world.
Quote:
Nope. If you read enough of my posts, you can narrow it down to one of three organizations.

What would I be taking advantage of? Paying an extra $20-$30 a month so that I can, a few times a year, download a major software update instantly instead of overnight. I don't think a single person would make that decision. The fact of the matter is, anything more than 2-3mpbs is a complete waste for my usage habits, as well as most Americans. I'd probably say about 70-90% of Americans have my usage habits, and about 10-30% tend more towards yours (lots of streaming and/or gaming and/or massive downloads).

As fleaman has asked you 3! separate times... what are we missing out on? Still no answer... crickets? Here I'll help you out... nothing that we care about.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #471 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM

Anybody seen Vinnie ? biggrin.gif
StinDaWg likes this.
post #472 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Physical disk other than boutique pressings, will be gone in 10 years or less .. Redbox caught a wave, that's it ..

NF disk mailings and subscriptions continue to drop and are near half what they were a few years ago ..

Whether we like it or not, streaming will rule .. and it's not just what consumers want, it's what the studios want .. rental has been the bane of the studios since the first Beta / VHS went out the door ..

Cut a slice of the action off each stream .. you can't do that with a disk ..

Fortunately for collectors EST electronic sell thru is also in the future as studios want to sell their products to those who prefer to buy instead of rent. The Common File formats are coming later this year and I believe you are correct that only boutique pressings are the future for physical media.
post #473 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
Quote:

People who basically don't use something in the first place generally don't have much need for it. Anyone who actually uses technology and the internet needs at least 12-15mbps, if not more. I'm sitting here right now waiting for my new Wii U to download a software update. It's ridiculously slow, as Nintendo's servers seem to only be able to push me about 8mbps, even though the network segment the Wii U is on is capable of around 40mbps and this laptop can get around 100mbps. If everything was this slow, using technology would be rather painful.

for what its worth(seems like nothing to you) I 'downgraded' my internet a couple of years ago because it no longer made sense to spend the extra 10bux(now it'd be 15 I think, I can't remember) for the next level up. whatever my speed is advertised at, it's only capable of doing around 700kB/s continuously. this has been totally fine for above average usage. I download a lot, I think anyway. I'm far more interested in increasing bandwidth caps than DL/UL speeds anyway.

you'd probably think I was a caveman if I told you what my cell phone service was, haha. but seriously, why do you assume internet technology is the most important thing?

Someone could argue anybody not using a projector is wasting their time watching movies at home
or anybody with an air compressor that puts out less than 10cfm
or a car that goes 0-60 in more than 7secs or perhaps one without 4wd(I hear this a LOT during the winter)
or still uses a wooden hockey stick
or think the wiiU is a next gen gaming console(I kid of course, but you KNOW you've heard it said)

there is literally a hundred things that YOU do right now that somebody else thinks is 'pathetic' and unacceptable to them. grow up, and stop talking down to ppl like you know what's best for them. I'm sorry that we don't all live our lives online 24/7. I don't need to tweet a pic of my dinner, while I watch a tv show on my ipad. instead I may eat my dinner with company, talk to them, it's nice so maybe BBQ outside and lounge by the pool(you do have a pool right? it's pathetic for anybody NOT to have a pool these days...) and then perhaps watch some tv or movies on the projector. sometimes ppl don't need something. it's not that they are ignorant of it, it's not that they are too cheap. they don't need it, and they may not even want it.

I do have to laugh that even after all your money spent and super fast internet connection, you're sitting there waiting EXACTLY like the rest of us for your wii U update. hmm, maybe 15mbps isn't the minimum DL speed that can support life afterall

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #474 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I haven't rented/bought a DVD/Blu-Ray disc in well over 3 years. Maybe longer. Streaming is just so much damn easier. And I also came to realize that buying a disc is pointless. I may watch the movie once, or twice. Then it get's put away. Total waste of $. Wish I could go back and not buy all the DVD's/Blu-Rays I did. Would have saved a fortune.
I like to still purchase my videos but do so in digital electronic sell thru via Ultraviolet. Watch many of my favorites more than once and prefer VUDU quality.
post #475 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

TowerGrove we all respect everyone that only do stream or do both, but biggaw is been here for days insulting fleaman calling him names over 2mbps of internet service. that's very childish.
vinnie97, TowerGrove and Mark12547 like this.
post #476 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Repeating yourself doesn't make what you write any more true.

If I didn't at least occasionally stream movies in better than 720p from Netflix, I wouldn't need more than 4Mbps, either. As it is, I got 15Mbps (now 20-25Mbps) because that was the next step up from dial-up where I live. And since I now have a 1080p TV that can stream Netflix 1080p streams, I can make better use of the throughput I have. But if I were not streaming movies and shows from Netflix, I wouldn't have use for more than 4Mbps, either.

I think you are stubbornly confusing what you use the Internet for for what others may be using the internet for, imposing your needs upon others, and that is why those without the need of throughput that you have are not acknowledging your throughput needs as their throughput needs.

When others arrive at a spot where a faster Internet connection is useful, they will look at their options then, not now.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #477 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 856
BiggAW: LED are near plasma black levels but still need work, even LCDs have improved on blacks before LED took over, now if manufactures ever agree that OLED would be the best route, we could see PQ levels surpass Plasma and LEDs, but Plasma technology ironically keeps improving as well. Panasonic wanted Pioneer technology but ironically Sharp got some of the engineers who made some seriously nice looking sets but failed to see enough of them as the cost was way too high compared to many competitors.

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/no-2013-elite-tvs-coming-sharp/3424

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #478 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
So with a single redbox dispenser available to me, what quantities of popular stuff are they likely to stock at a time? How many discs are in a dispenser? Are they fully automated and online updated for inventory? Say if I reserved a movie tonight, it'd tell me its not available if its not in the box at the moment? Or do I give it some time to stock and it'll notify me?

As to the place in the market Netflix has worked themselves into, in being almost a monopoly, that sure wasn't the case when I joined when it was a bit on the obscure side and seemed very possible to fail....
post #479 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:

Anybody seen Vinnie ? biggrin.gif
I'm in and out, posting in some of the other subs. cool.gif What's up?
post #480 of 557 Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:

BiggAW: LED are near plasma black levels but still need work, even LCDs have improved on blacks before LED took over, now if manufactures ever agree that OLED would be the best route, we could see PQ levels surpass Plasma and LEDs, but Plasma technology ironically keeps improving as well. Panasonic wanted Pioneer technology but ironically Sharp got some of the engineers who made some seriously nice looking sets but failed to see enough of them as the cost was way too high compared to many competitors.

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/no-2013-elite-tvs-coming-sharp/3424
Pioneer engineers went to both outfits actually (Sharp and Panasonic). The ZT60 surely received some of their handiwork (in spite of what the Kuro zealots will tell you). Plasma improvements sadly, I think, came to a screeching halt in 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page