Dolby Announces Dolby Cinema with HDR Projection and Atmos - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Yes please. Bring it to Ada County in Idaho. There is a nearby theater that does have Dolby 3D and I have thought it better than the other two systems also in the valley. It would be nice if the theater invested into this but I do have my doubts. I think there would need to be a completely new theater built in the valley to have this. Doubt it will happen soon though. Hope I am wrong about that. Until then, upstairs to my theater room I go for the bulk of my movie viewing. Oh, I have step one for my own Dolby theater feature. I have a floating screen.

Video Mitsubishi 3800 onto 108 inch DIY AT screen.
Processor Marantz 5502A
7.4.4 with front wides and no rear surrounds.

Last edited by awblackmon; 12-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 12-05-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
Furthermore, theatres actually make very little money. In the opening weeks of a film, they get as little as 5% of the ticket. And these days, films don't play very long. Theaters are concession stands that happen to show movies, not the other way around.

Because of that, ever shortening windows, real estate values, etc., my belief is that we're going to see a big decline in the number of theatres (in the U.S.) in the coming years. I think it's significant that Dolby's first venture with this new theatre model is outside the U.S. Decades ago, it would have been in San Francisco.
That worries me. I go to see a lot of movies & noticed a lot of empty seats. If theaters aren't around to show movies... then what will become of the film industry itself?
post #33 of 48 Old 12-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Is this a cinema for ghosts?

It looks pretty cool, otherwise. Seems like direct competition for IMAX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 12-05-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
+1 on HDR being highly desirable trickle down to home PJ's, plus wider color gamut.

Scott;
Watching the video there was a slide on "premium seating", does this mean a 2-tier ticket surcharge for better visual and/or audio in that area?
The fact "premium" was added implies at least "standard" also, the basic good/better/best marketing 101 stuff.

Looks like a well designed ground up concept, I look forward to the early reviews.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect they are calling all the seats "premium," as in recliners, good sightlines from all seats, etc. I'm speculating here, but that's the impression I get from the materials I've seen.
post #35 of 48 Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I don't know for sure, but I suspect they are calling all the seats "premium," as in recliners, good sightlines from all seats, etc. I'm speculating here, but that's the impression I get from the materials I've seen.
That's what I got from it. If you look at it, the seats are further from the screen and walls than the typical multiplex, which tries to fill the theater with seats to the edges. I think what they are saying is that there won't be any seats too close the the wall (and hence, too close to the wall speakers) and not too close to the screen (no neck cramping), hence making all the seats more within the audio and visual sweet spot, or "premium".

I've seen a change coming for a while. Whenever I go to a regular theater, it's always less than a fourth full. But on big openings, they are still able to fill the main "grande" theater all weekend (I really like the "RPX" screen that Regal built here two years ago). I think over the next ten years, we will see a lot of downsizing, with more premium or "grande" screens like these new Dolby Cinema rooms but far fewer regular screens. Already I see it, as the newer theaters getting built now seem to have only 6 or 8 theater rooms, instead of 20 like they used to, but they pretty much all have one premium theater room for the tentpole movies, which probably earns 80% or more of all their ticket sales.
I for one am fine with this. I can get the small theater experience in my own home (better actually), so if I am going to go out and spend money, i'd rather spend the extra $5 and get a grande screen experience, with Atmos and 4k and HDR and laser and whatever else I can't get at home, or at least won't be able to afford for several years to come.
post #36 of 48 Old 12-05-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 514
When they say premium seating I dont think they are talking about charging more that the seats are more like lazy boy recliners then your typical cinemark stadium seating, ie they are more comfy so thats what I think they mean by premium seating and or being able to reserve your seat, like you do at the AMC Prime theaters.

Edit: Scott answered the question, didnt notice... ^^;;

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR

Last edited by Daniel Chaves; 12-05-2014 at 11:25 PM.
post #37 of 48 Old 12-06-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Love the idea of a high dynamic range projector and room completley designed with Atmos in mind. I hope Dolby can go thru with this idea and implement it successfully.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #38 of 48 Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
The 31 fl is useful for Dolby Vision HDR though to give a higher max brightness peak, that doesn't mean your eyes will be blasted with that amount of light across the entire image for any substantial period of time. They mention the have extra light to "throw away", meaning presumably it's for the specular peaks, while the average brightness remains far more manageable levels.

Your eyes can handle a lot more light than a movie theater can provide, it's just a question of the iris in your eyes being open when suddenly they get blasted by a bright light. The backlighting behind the "floating screen" probably helps alleviate that (some people use bias lighting at home too, you have better colour perception with more ambient light). And you can always add some brightness limiters or some kind of look-ahead algorithm for the bias lighting to get brighter or dimmer a short while before a big jump in across-the-screen brightness occurs.
I definitely didn't read it that way, but that's makes more sense. if 31ftl is the brightest little pinpoint of the sun in an HDR scene, then that's cool. for some reason I was just equating 'peak' to what you'd get on a full white 100IRE screen. and 31ftl in that case would be insane, haha.

for me, it's not about how much light my eyes can handle, it's about a preference. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather what a dim movie in a pitch black room than watch a super bright movie in a bright room. but unfortunately, that's not a reality for commercial theaters and current safety regulations.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #39 of 48 Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
That worries me. I go to see a lot of movies & noticed a lot of empty seats. If theaters aren't around to show movies... then what will become of the film industry itself?
I'm sure they're already making more money off streaming/downloading. I don't think it's going to be a good thing for the purists, but there's money to be made, so I'm sure they will keep making movies.

post #40 of 48 Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Two things:

-I don't think a VIP area where they serve alcohol is the answer. I've been to enough parties and sporting events to know that people generally behave worse with alcohol than when sober.

-While I commend Dolby and Christie with the new tech, I go back to my original post. The biggest impediment to theater movie watching is besides the generally terrible dreck that Hollywood has been releasing, my biggest problem is the behavior of theatergoers. I live in a major metro and I'm generally happy with the PQ and AQ of the theaters here but I've never had a recent positive experience in the theater due to rudeness.

Until Dolby and Christie find a way to install tazers in seats that buzz the rude people, I will enjoy the majority of my movie watching in my media room.
not the answer, but a definite improvement from what I've heard. it's not an 'area' it's the whole theater. so there's no kids whatsoever, no teenagers anywhere, and for the most part, there's not a lot of 'young' adults either. it's not a bar, or club, or social event. there's a 1 or 2 drink max, so unless you're going in and out of the theater a bunch of times, nobody is getting drunk. and since there's liquor licenses involved, they actually have ushers that are like 'bouncers' and make sure nobody is out of hand. again, I haven't been personally, but those who have say it's quieter, and less annoying, and they would only watch movies there from now on. I'm too cheap to pay 8bux to go see a movie in the cheap seats, there's no way I'm paying 15 for the 'premium' viewing experience, so i'll probably never know first hand.

but I thought the same thing, the only thing more annoying than a 15yr old girl on her cell phone is a 19yr old boy after 10 beers... but I was assured that's NOT what happens.

probably the best time I've ever had at a commercial theater was about 10yrs ago and I went with 3 other ppl and NOBODY else was in the theater. up until the last preview, we thought we were getting a private showing. we all sat in different rows, and were yelling at each other during the previews and having a great time. at the last minute ONE family came in, so we we're silent for the whole show, but so was the family, so it ended up being nearly perfect. if only I could afford to buy out the whole theater all the time
I agree I still prefer my own room though. it's cheaper, looks better, more comfortable, and I'm in complete control. the only reason to drive to a commercial theater and watch a movie there is to see it sooner. but I've been on the bd release schedule for a few years now, and it's been just fine for me.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 12-06-2014 at 08:58 PM.
post #41 of 48 Old 12-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
wow nice that europe gets a premiere this time. I live 25 km from eindhoven, so will prolly give it a visit as soon as it opens.
post #42 of 48 Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 195
This sounds fantastic. Maybe I will be excited about going to the cinema for the first time in many years.

I hope the high dynamic range is not just about brightness, but as much about better black levels.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
LG OLED77C9
post #43 of 48 Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 43
this is pretty awesome, first object oriented surround sound and now higher color depths! amazing times we live in!

one major issue i see that hasn't been brought up yet is hollywood source. for example lucas shot episode i&ii in maybe 8bit/10bit 1080p (1st pro series). we're limited by what was captured. same with many digitally capture sources like 28 days later etc.

also, aren't most of the film-scanned telecine'd digital intermediary (DI) all 8bit or at most 10? the higher colors are only for compositing CG but not for final export of the product. a majority of the world still lives in 8bit or "fake 10bit".

how do we make the transition to HDR if most of today's content is still in that form?

i hope that old films are re-scanned (yet once again) in better color ranges. i would love to see something like wizard of oz with more colors! or any of the sword&sandal classics like ben-hur, cleopatra, etc. we constantly have to go back and re-scan/redip. one would think someone would have come up with a technology to scan once and preserve forever on the digital front (XYZ color space).

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #44 of 48 Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Okay, laser light source, but is this DLP or LCD-based?

Steve W
post #45 of 48 Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 106
After going to the Vive website I was surprised that the first thing I see is a graphic that says "(Screech)" considering Scott's opinion of those speakers at demos.
post #46 of 48 Old 12-13-2014, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, can I get this in smaller package may be for 5 people room ATMOS + 3D, screen size ,,,, I'd say 200 inches totally fine with me. Installed. How much ?

Dreaming .......
post #47 of 48 Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Is there anything Dolby and Christie can do about the people who kick the back of my chair, the teenagers who text during movies, the know it all nerds who talk throughout the entire movie, the cleanliness of the auditorium, and the ludicrous prices that theaters are charging these days?

If not, I'll stay in the comfort of my home without the annoyance of people and high prices, thanks.
Yep, I wonder how much longer theatres are going to be relevant. Can't say I'll miss them when they're gone!
post #48 of 48 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Fast-forward 6 years.

I just re-read this thread.

Have things really moved ahead all that much?
DD/DTS likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page