Sharp Pulls Out of North America TV Market, Licenses Brand to HiSense - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #121 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Brand name should mean very little to the smart consumer, in most cases brand just means price premium. It doesn't make much sense in consumer electronics to pay more if the features are similar, since resale values are all the same too.

I'd checked out Sharp Aquos line in the store, it looked just fine and was cheaper. I hope there are some good sales at least. Sad news for a good company. So many companies in many segments are being squeezed out by those who can afford to spend more on marketing, since that's all that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-dog-avs View Post
About the Kuro:

Yeah, but the corpse is still whoopin ass. We all know it, too.

Here's the problem: Sharp's "premium" sets still don't hold a candle to it, and we all know, they never really did. Buying the "Elite" nameplate was a pitiful whine admitting as much.

OTOH ouside of all ^^^ that and the Kuro love on some cheap TV's premium is nothing more than higher fake refresh rate

I guess the Poineer Kuro was *it* and all but how did that work out for Pioneer TV in the end ....or actually what Pioneer TV can you buy now

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 08:03 PM.
post #123 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Brand name should mean very little to the smart consumer, in most cases brand just means price premium. It doesn't make much sense in consumer electronics to pay more if the features are similar, since resale values are all the same too.

I'd checked out Sharp Aquos line in the store, it looked just fine and was cheaper. I hope there are some good sales at least. Sad news for a good company. So many companies in many segments are being squeezed out by those who can afford to spend more on marketing, since that's all that matters.
I saw some of those (real) Sharps recently ouside of the B.B. co branded Sharp/Hisense discount product @ B B ..... I thought they looked fine and they were pretty bright and vivid also but not over saturated. I think it's very unfortunate Sharp is retreating !

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

I saw Sharp try that stunt with their "Elite". Quite a few suckers fell for it, too. I understand being charitable towards some out-of-work engineers, but there was serious noise made that "the Sharp Elite was a real rival to the Kuro" that kind of mindless gabble. It was never true, and no one knew it better than anyone who had actually seen both sets in action. Even tougher was placing them side by side - I think it was the first shootout by Robert Zohn and the lads that put that rumor to a very early grave. It was not even close.

If a consumer is not interested in things like the performance factors used to determine the quality of a television, there is little point in claiming to make an informed choice in buying one. Certainly, if you are buying a new television with an eye on the resale value, it's either better to not worry about that at all, or just buy the cheapest thing that glows in the dark.

Quote:

I've seen some pretty nice Sharp televisions over time, but they play too many games. The whole scam/hustle with the "Sharp Elite" hat dance, along with the hand jive they played with the 4K sets that really didn't do 4K ("but just as good, really"), showed them up as untrustworthy hustlers with only marketing to carry the load. Sure enough, there have been far too many QC issues to ignore. It's not just marketing - it's far more complicated than that, while also being treacherous.
steve1971 likes this.
post #125 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
OTOH ouside of all ^^^ that and the Kuro love on some cheap TV's premium is nothing more than higher fake refresh rate

Very little is "premium" right now. View the stats; then view the reliability and deeply imbedded flaws in even the OLED sets...it's not fanboyism, it is objective truth that very few sets still carry a real premium in quality, and still hold it.

Quote:
I guess the Poineer Kuro was *it* and all but how did that work out for Pioneer TV in the end ....or actually what Pioneer TV can you buy now

Pioneer is still in business, and found suckers to buy the name...years after production ended on their televisions. Know anybody else doing that?

In a market that died during a major recession, run by morons trying to reboot that market with 3-D (how's that working out for ya as a yardstick of success), you have a very ironic question, there.

Premium gear doesn't last forever, when people are broke, and quality isn't shaved to pry loose a few bucks. As quiet as that's kept.
steve1971 likes this.
post #126 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I saw some of those (real) Sharps recently ouside of the B.B. co branded Sharp/Hisense discount product @ B B ..... I thought they looked fine and they were pretty bright and vivid also but not over saturated. I think it's very unfortunate Sharp is retreating !

This is not meant as a sarcastic question...but why should you care? They've been seriously fading, largely due to deceptive marketing and weak quality control. Failure rates didn't amuse retailers, or customers, who didn't come back for more when the last set hit the five or six year mark, and went toes-up.

Whose misfortune is it? They made no technological advances that actually worked (witness the piss-yellow pixels chroma disaster, or their non-black "Sharp Elite" hand-jive), nor did their "close to 4K" screens, which were nice for 2K sets...but for which they tried to sell for 4K money to the unwary.

Your'e going to miss Artful Dodger types like that? I haven't trusted them for years, and I'm surprised anyone would that has seen that crew play their white-van games. To each his own, I guess.
post #127 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
So, now that Sharp is gone which TV to buy that makes good solid sense?

By the way, Sharp still make Blu-ray players?

And who took over Magnavox?
post #128 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
CRT TVs like from January 1996!
post #129 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
CRT TVs like from January 1996!
More like 1976.
phildaant likes this.
post #130 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
More like 1976.
I meant mine. Do people still have 1976 CRT TVs in used?
post #131 of 164 Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Very little is "premium" right now. View the stats; then view the reliability and deeply imbedded flaws in even the OLED sets...it's not fanboyism, it is objective truth that very few sets still carry a real premium in quality, and still hold it.
You may be right on one ouside of a few halo sets OTOH you can get a decent 1080p LCD picture cheap now just not Kuro style ...No such thing as a perfect display tecnology albiet I do like my 2013 1080P Samsung plama better than my 2013 1080p 2013 Sony LED/LCD so ........☻☻
OLED and the 2015 LCD premium WCG /HDR TV's aint that bad at all just not perfect by a country mile but at least you can watch them ouside of a dark room ( exactly why I bought my Sammy Plasma ) and the other 4 LCD sets here .

Quote:
Pioneer is still in business, and found suckers to buy the name...years after production ended on their televisions. Know anybody else doing that?
General Electric , USA Westinghouse Electric ,Thompson SA , ( now Teccnicolor SA ) Raytheon, Phillips Television div. ( sold to an OEM )while Phillips remains as a conglomerate ,Mitsubishi ,Motorola, probably some others , and Toshiba is on the way to do just that with thier large semi conductor and volatile menory business .

Panasonic is highly diversified as is Sony ,LG and Samsung and they all dont (need the TV consumer sound or panel businsses at all ) to survive ........and Pioneer is failing at scale oustiide of Car audio and automotive navigation systems and ODD as a business case altogether.

FWIW Poineer is in a long standing trend of declining sales,profit and valuation and only a shadow of what thet were as little as 9 years ago so as a business case exactly how did the Kuro fit into all of this other than being an expensive (unsucessfull ) hail mary for the (now) non existant TV division .

OTOH Sony inc. is much more diversified with profitable assets in Imaging,games (PS3/4 and PSN ) entertajnment,TV production Music,Films,Finance and insurance etc.etc and has a higher market cap value and an owned TV subsiderary and internal consumer sound business unit (both) that may be sold while it continues to diverify into profitable business like medical technology and hospital and patent data management and imaging sensors etc.

TV and consumer sound are a small part of Sony inc. they could close down tomorrow and Sony would be fine ... as bad as Sony inc management has been they are miles ahead of Pioneer even without TV and consumer sound and have been much better at growth and diversification .

Panasonic is big into power system products aviation ,laptop PC dispays and automotive LCD diplays,solar power appliances in Asia and L I batteries all growth industries and apart from TV and consumer electronics. IOW these are companies that have done a much better job at growth and diversification than Poineer . My logic here is undeniable

This is not advise and some of this is specuation and should not be used for trading

OTOH Sonys net income is not so hot latley but not a net loss , the SNE TTM net income individually from 2012 -2015 FY are below with 2015 on the left and 2012 on the right . @ x1,000 USD .

($1,050,000) ($1,246,000) ($441,000 ) ($5,529,000) http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/sne/fin...come-statement

Note : I used 2013 FY below to get a more typical business segment revnue avarage over 4 FY before any extraordinary charge offs or restructuring in 2014 FY .

Sony inc. Revnue by Business Segment Sales to External Customers in JPY x 1,000,000 or 1m

TTM 3/31/2013 FY

Imaging products 726,774 JPY

Game 527,110 JPY

Mobile &
communications 1,220,013 JPY

Televisions 581,475 JPY

Consumer sound 405,024 JPY

Other 7,323 JPY

Semi conductors
& comoponents
+ other 583,938 JPY

Sony Pictures 732,137 JPY

Sony Music 431,719 JPY

Financial Services 1,004,623 JPY

Other 532,558 JPY

Corporate 48,137 JPY

Consolidated total 6,800,851 JPY x 1m
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/inve...Statements.pdf

OTOH here is Pioneer's totaly dismal story below JPY x 1,000,000 or 1m

Quote:
In a market that died during a major recession, run by morons trying to reboot that market with 3-D (how's that working out for ya as a yardstick of success), you have a very ironic question, there.
Why dont you look at Panasonics sucsess yardstick on the chart above and tell us all (strickly as a business case study ) how does that support a suceess story for Pioneer

What did the the Kuro Hail Mary do for Pioneer which in spite of being an excellent TV the fact is is that the whole company is tenable on a good day unlike Panasonic , Sony inc ,Samsung chebol, LG chebol that can all survive fine without consumer electronics,LCD displays or TV .....we get back to diversification here no ? and Sharp has some of that as does Toshiba even more so .

This is all Pioneer does below with lots of competeition again we are back to divesification and scale Panasonic doesent have and they might not even have all products listed below now .

Car audio and automotive navigation systems, ( Televisions ,CRT Lens and Plasma, former products ), PC DVD drives including PC DVD recorders, "set-top" DVD players and DVD recorders, Misc. DJ equipment

September 2014 : Pioneer would sell its disc-jockey equipment business to private equity firm KKR & Co LP for about 59 billion yen($550 million
-wikipedia-
Looks like Car audio and automotive navigation systems are most of all thats left and thats a competitive ,fickle and cyclical business .

Quote:
Premium gear doesn't last forever, when people are broke, and quality isn't shaved to pry loose a few bucks. As quiet as that's kept.
Aside from a Rolex or *certain cars* most of it isnt worth much more than junk or old *stuff* at some point in the product lifecycle a 1986 Mercedes SL or Bentley anything fits that exmaple just fine and the 1999- 2000 and up some Benz SEL's and SL drivers and other premium cars go for chump change now compared to what they cost .

Nobody cares about the Poineer Kuros that doesent have one already and they dont have any halo products at all now on thier own .

All that being said Pioneer made a lot of good stuff for decades and what I owned of thier products including 2 late 70's vintage Silver monster recievers (not the small ones ) I still have but am not using now were all real real decent and I went through 2 of them and enjoyed them for many years before I moved on to better separates and speakers in my music configuration and 5.1 on the big TV . OTOH if they still made TV's I wouldent hesitate to look at one to buy .

FWIW I have a decent 2014 Pioneer in dash unit in my Truck running a 4800 watt aftermarket system just fine and if GM dumped Bose for premuum audio for Pioneer that was probably a good move . Bose automotive was never all that I turned it down on my last 2 new trucks .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Evaluation Copy Build 10240

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2015 at 01:53 AM.
post #132 of 164 Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Outside of enthusiast forums like this one, most people don't know or care about quality - its all the same and buying decisions are made based on advertising, the salesman, and price. 99% of people will never even adjust the factory set ultra bright mode, let alone try to achieve good picture balance, so there is little incentive for oem's to invest in real innovation when it won't sell.

It's all a race to the bottom, the only survivors will be premium brands like Apple (I know they don't make tv's, yet, the point stands) who can sell based on brand alone, and Samsung/Sony, who have huge advertising/marketing budgets and channel partnerships, and even they are struggling. People want to pay $200 for 45" tv's these days, and 4K will only sell because older models will be phased out.
post #133 of 164 Old 08-06-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Outside of enthusiast forums like this one, most people don't know or care about quality - its all the same and buying decisions are made based on advertising, the salesman, and price. 99% of people will never even adjust the factory set ultra bright mode, let alone try to achieve good picture balance, so there is little incentive for oem's to invest in real innovation when it won't sell.

It's all a race to the bottom, the only survivors will be premium brands like Apple (I know they don't make tv's, yet, the point stands) who can sell based on brand alone, and Samsung/Sony, who have huge advertising/marketing budgets and channel partnerships, and even they are struggling. People want to pay $200 for 45" tv's these days, and 4K will only sell because older models will be phased out.
Sure the high volume market is cheap to avarage 50"-55" and less screens the bigger premium stuff is high margin /low volume and 40"-42" is the new high volume 32" size.

Apple aint never going to make TV sets in my opinion but BEV cars like Tesla or something less are not a stretch of the imagination if you look at some of the new C level or close to that new hires and thier unencumbered availiable start up CAPEX $$$ these guys they hired are very prominent automotive product and engineering people not Apple Car play OEM infotataiment people they aleady have they been poaching over at Tesla also..... AFAIK Tesla said at one time not specific to anyone they were willing to share some BEV patents and maybe powertrain components or AAPL could buy Tesla outright

This is not advise and some of this is specuation and should not be used for trading

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Evaluation Copy Build 10240

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-07-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #134 of 164 Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Here's my take on the whole Sharp thing. They did it to themselves. They thought by re-branding one of their top end tv's and calling it "Sharp Elite" that they were leading people to believe that it was on par with the Kuro and some people bought into it. I remeber when it first came out alot of people were tripping over themselves to own one and what happened? QC issues popped up ect and it failed....miserably! Then you had the yellow pixel thing and that was marketing b.s and again it failed. THEN you had the "almost 4K" thing which in essence was 1080p and again....failed!!! Three strikes and your out. Sharp did this all to themselves in my book. Its all marketing hype these days and some people buy into and some dont. First people were led to believe LED was a new type of tv when all it was was a new backlighting feature, then people were led to believe that 3D was this next best thing that you had to have and again it didnt live up to all the hype and it failed and now we have a new kid on the block called 4K which in my opinion is nothing but marketing hype and a gimmick. Is it doomed to fail? The jury is still out on that one. But one thing is for certain and that is it aint catching on like the manufactuer's have hoped it would just ask my beloved Sony. Again though all this should teach Sharp is dont be deceptive and use a ton of marketing hype because it could blow up your face.
post #135 of 164 Old 08-07-2015, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Sharp came out with the Quattron 4-color system just as the backlight
technology was switching to white LEDs. The Quattron system had been
advertised as wide-gamut, but immediately became simply a way to get
more brightness from the blue LED/yellow phosphor scheme that the
entire industry was embracing at the time. They considered it serendipitous,
but it became a dead-end for the Quattron system extended color space.
I bought an early model in 2011, which was plenty bright, but very weak
in red and cyan. That set was replaced last year by one with improved
reds, but still weak in cyan. Sharp began 2015 with the promise of a
set that would have a blue-green phosphor added to the Quattron, but
it never materialized. Splitting the green into yellow and blue-green
was their original vision of wide-gamut (ohhh, my!), so I hope that
Hisense can use their cheaper capitalization costs to continue the effort.
Meantime, I have a killer Quattron from last year that is great at bright
and detailed pictures (UQ17U), but is deficient in cyan...
post #136 of 164 Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talking My screen name wins!!!

At last after all these years of crap and terrible service and piss poor performance out of this "value" brand they are finally defeated and pushed out of the US market. There stuff has been garbage in terms of reliability, quality, and value for years. When I used to work in electronics retail I have never seen so much cheap junk going back and forth for RMAs particularly their highest dollar largest scale sets (garbage). Sad they somehow outlasted Pioneer and Plasma in general, glad I got my Samsung F8500. I may have to wait a while for OLED to come into my price range, but I am in love with this set, wish I would've bought bigger.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness writing, I am just so elated this garbage is finally off the market.

steve1971 likes this.
post #137 of 164 Old 08-07-2015, 12:26 PM
OT7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sharp was the first to market a 1080P 32" HDTV.
Street price was $1100 in 2007.
post #138 of 164 Old 08-07-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT7 View Post
Sharp was the first to market a 1080P 32" HDTV.
Street price was $1100 in 2007.
I think they had an 11" or 15" LCD a couple of yrs before that and it was probably about that price maybe higher IIRC . I remeber a friend of mine mentioning (or TBH actually complaining ) he got one of those for his wife for the kitchen or someting.

I think she saw it there at B.B. or on a shopping channel . ( I hope he got paid for that one ) I saw the small one at B B thinking anyone would be wealthy, crazy or foolish to buy that ......I was still watching Sony WEGA CRT and Wega XBR CRT sets you could still buy new then .
post #139 of 164 Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
I think it depends on what you mean by the word "quality". I wrote a mock-serious post above, but there was an element of truth therein: most people I speak to care about what happens on the screen, not so much what it looks like when it happens. They are interested in who did what, which player scored this goal and how, etc. They are not very much interested in the shade of the player's shirt as he scored the goal.

There is a trend toward the consumption of what might be loosely termed "pure information". That is, important information abstracted away from extraneous surface details. If you go back hundreds of years there were elaborately illustrated fine manuscripts. Then printing and movable type. And now e-books. The trend with books has been to loosen the attachment of the information to its physical expression.

Our success as a species involves our ability to reason abstractly about the world and escape the minutiae of perception. When a physicist sees the formula F = ma, he does not generally care much about the font it was written in. Would Newton have been any more successful if Helvetica had been invented then? The importance of this law is the relationship it establishes, which is entirely independent of the physical details of the ink on the paper used to write the law down.

So in talking about the quality of a TV, what may ultimately matter to most is the quality of the information it transmits to the viewer. I'm sure a better quality picture may help to, under certain circumstances, impart a greater amount of information (via shadow detail etc.). But by and large PQ will have a negligible impact of the quality of information delivery. Whether you watch on a high-end TV or an entry-level model, you will still get the most important information, the events, the characters etc., in a film.

As mentioned in my previous post, mere perceptual visible detail is low-order and not the stuff of elevated sophisticated thinking. And at the end of the day two dots and a curly line is a face

Finally, you can go back to the some of the earliest visual representations of the word we know of, some paintings in the Lascaux caves that are over 17 thousand years old. And what you find there are not drawings that are physically accurate, but something that is already starting to cast off the extraneous and inessential visual detail.
tubetwister likes this.
post #140 of 164 Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I like samsung tv more anyway
post #141 of 164 Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here is a pdf of the official Sharp announcement.

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/ir/...f/150731-2.pdf

A couple of things I found interesting is Sharp chooses to call it an "alliance" instead of a takeover. Is it just face saving semantics or does Hisense plan to resell some Sharp products? Also, apparently Sharp will continue selling "corporate" LCDs in the US. So I assume those professional signage and 80" whiteboard models. Hopefully, that 4K Next model will get classified as a "corporate" model.
post #142 of 164 Old 08-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
As mentioned in my previous post, mere perceptual visible detail is low-order and not the stuff of elevated sophisticated thinking. And at the end of the day two dots and a curly line is a face

Finally, you can go back to the some of the earliest visual representations of the word we know of, some paintings in the Lascaux caves that are over 17 thousand years old. And what you find there are not drawings that are physically accurate, but something that is already starting to cast off the extraneous and inessential visual detail.
To your point I've known all my life and know some brilliant folks even some prominent PhD's and while a good TV was always one of my priorities not nesessarily the best but decent (I think thats a futile persuit $$ wise and the bar moves to fast ) and when I was growing up
around some of this and family,familyfriends ,guests etc were over frequently ouside of a pre arranged fotball ball game or just a game in the backgound the TV was never on at those times unless there was a noteworthy news event or a manned spaceflight . IOW it was mostly off when anybody was over and growing up that was the rule except for family sometimews and certain people and some niebors and our frinds ofc .

By the time I was in H.S I had my own 21" TV in my room (not very old either ) I worked for I bought used cheap and repaired it (horiz sweep circuit)

Most of those folks could care less about a TV in general and a lot of them had./have smaller sets in a an alcove or or something but otherewise NOT a focal point in any given room ......

TBH the consersatioin was/is always very livley some times memorable and intersting (intelectally challanging ) or just fun at times and outside of a ball game or noteworhy news event nobody cares about the TV *at all*

I ve got a 60" Plasma and modest 5.1 HT (no tower speakers ) in a good sized room in a corner but it's not the focal point by a country mile whereas the home office has the PC and a 27" QHD minitor and a 50" Sony 1080p LEDconnected to everyhing on the planet and the PC adacent to the desk on a ~ 4ft book case and a small form factor 5.1 nearly invisible amplified speaker set up and no AVR but you cant miss the screens .

Truth be known with all the movies I have on spinning metal ,Netflix,the web ,Roku ,OTA ,Dish ...10 -16 hrs a day its on a news or special interest, ball game or ,documetry channel from somewhere on the panet and any number of connected devices .

The Sammy PDP is Dish,VCR or Neflix or PS3 COD or driving sims in the gaming chair and G27 wheel .

I think without 24/7 information overload and the ocean /geopolitical privlige and not so much poitical correctness we enjoyed in the US at that time for a lot of us life had a better balance .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #143 of 164 Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here is a pdf of the official Sharp announcement.

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/ir/...f/150731-2.pdf

A couple of things I found interesting is Sharp chooses to call it an "alliance" instead of a takeover. Is it just face saving semantics or does Hisense plan to resell some Sharp products? Also, apparently Sharp will continue selling "corporate" LCDs in the US. So I assume those professional signage and 80" whiteboard models. Hopefully, that 4K Next model will get classified as a "corporate" model.
Quote:
10. Relationship between the listed company and this company
Capital relationship There is no capital relationship to
report between Sharp and this
company.
Personnel relationship There is no personnel relationship to
report between Sharp and this
company.
Transactional relationship There is no transactional relationship
to report between Sharp and this
company
-sharp-world .com-
I dont see any equity investment either way only the fixed asset cash sale of the Sharp manufacturing facilities and related Ameriacas business units from Sharp to Hisense along with the Sharp brand licence /rights and tangable brand good will in the Americas .

I dont see any structual or cash accruals (operating arrangements) for ongoing cash consideration from Hisesnse to Sharp for brand license rights or brand good will in the Americas going forward i.e. that must have been structured into the cash sale already .

AFAIK Hisense will be selling Sharp branded product in the Americas along side Hisense product otherwise they could have bougt the fixed assets or factory (s)and related buisnesses without the brand licence or rights to use the brand going forward .

^^^^^ .........or Like a 7 -11 stop and rob becoming a short stop market stop and rob

TBH it looks like done deal cash sale with no structual relationship or cash consideration going forward or as you said a takeover of the Ameicas TV busimness ...... but FWIW not Sharp inc.

Maybe something is missing in the translation (not unusual at all with Japanese translations ) because without an equity investment either way I dont belive its an alliance in the usuall sense and it doesent look like a joint venture *at* all just an asset and brand licence and tangible brand good will in the Americas (cash sale ) .

Quote:
In July 2015, Sharp sold its Mexico TV factory to Chinese electronics manufacturer Hisense for $23.7 million with rights to use the Sharp brand name and all its channel resources in North and South America - meaning Hisense completely took over Sharp's TV business in those regions.
-wikipedia-
FWIW its not a takeover of Sharp inc. they are still in business worldwide otherwise ouside of manufacting and selling TV's in the Americas thats all .

OTOH it looks like and could be consideered a take over of Sharps TV business in the Americas but I dont see it as an alliance i.e. mutually or individually held equity relationship or structual relationship of any kind going foward .

For pespective :
Sharp inc. had US$ 21.39 billion of assets at the end of FY 2014 the US $23.7 million asset sale to Hisense is a very small fraction of that .

FWIW these are the same terms we have known about since the beginning .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Evaluation Copy build 10240

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2015 at 04:45 PM.
post #144 of 164 Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 274
@tubetwister

Perhaps I shouldn't say this, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about PQ, as I'm sure you all have, and my TV was carefully chosen with that in mind. But when it comes to watching the thing, I quite often find myself becoming restless and fidgety and I want to do something a bit more active than watching an illuminated rectangle. So although I do like to watch some TV, I could easily imagine living without it and that not being a great loss. Which is a bit tragic given the amount of time spent discussing these things in the forums
post #145 of 164 Old 08-12-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
^Heritic
fluxo likes this.
post #146 of 164 Old 08-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 View Post
You left out the only wholly owned American electronics firm and the only American Television manufacturer from the 1960's to the 1980's: Curtis Mathes.
Just about every brand of CRT TV had a RCA branded CRT tube in it. http://www.curtis-mathes.com/home.htm

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #147 of 164 Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Just about every brand of CRT TV had a RCA branded CRT tube in it. http://www.curtis-mathes.com/home.htm
"This was from May 1970 to June 1971","Picture Tubes from RCA and B&W’s from Japan". Yes CinemaAndy, you are correct for this time period; but here is a later quote from the same gentleman: "Not like the good old days in the 1960’s when a Curtis Mathes was all CM." So it seems that Curtis-Mathes was all in house then and was not just an OEM, that they later became before going out of business. I thought they had a good product as we had their colour console back when.
post #148 of 164 Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2826 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
I meant mine. Do people still have 1976 CRT TVs in used?
Well, not 1976, but I do have a 1986 13" Mitsubishi color TV in the bedroom - watch it every night, and going strong. Nice little TV actually!

I don't know much about TVs, as I am still in the "creation phase" of upgrading my 2004 Sony 32" Trinitron that is showing signs of giving up the ghost (think it was built in Mexico...), but for my work, have been looking into higher-end laser WUXGA projection, including Panasonic PT-RZ series and the current Sony VPL-FHZ series - these are not cheap projectors - the Panasonic, made in Japan, the Sony made in CHINA. I was super-disappointed when I saw this. I know the new Sony line is due out next month (so I'm told), but apparently also made in China. Leaning Panasonic at this point, though the Sony projector is really nice.

Dunno, maybe the QC is really good for certain companies manufacturing in China, and it is not an issue (like ALL of Apple stuff, but quality still seems good), but if given a choice, I prefer to not buy Chinese-made stuff on principle. That is becoming very difficult to do. I ruled Vizio out long ago as an option for a new TV simply because they are made in China. Maybe that is short-sighted.
post #149 of 164 Old 08-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm going to give them one last chance - if I can save up my pennies (and they're still in stock then) I'll replace my 52" Sharp in the family room with a 4K 70" Sharp.
post #150 of 164 Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

The bar hasn't moved. You can discuss things like "the best of the current crop", but Samsung and Sony have a very hard time getting to that level themselves - and Sharp is simply too far back to put it in consideration. Not that they make bad televisions - not at all - but for quality of performance, and quality of construction, they miss the mark.

You know this as well as I. There were a few Panasonics in there for a while, and a couple of models each from Sony and Samsung, but Sharp? Even with the song and dance about the Sharp Elite, it didn't cut the mustard.

When you talk about something being "premium", the standard is not about what you can get right now, but what you could ever get. If it's a car, Duesenburg, not a new Cadillac. Planes, Spitire, not Cessna. Televisions, it's Kuro, not Quattron or Sharp Elite.

But of course, you know that.
All of which means absolutely NOTHING so someone in the market for a TV NOW.

if someone says: My tv broke! I need a new one quick. What's the premium TV's available now?

Are you going to steer them toward a Kuro they can't find. Or a Panasonic they probably can't find?

The bar moves yearly, based on whats available. Sometimes that bar moves up, sometimes down. But it is always fluid.

And until OLED is ready for prime time, Samsung and Sony Full Array LED with local dimming are the top or the LG OLED.

They are of course, not the best ever. But they are the best of whats currently available.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage , Hisense , Sharp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page