Samsung Announces UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 272Likes

post #61 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If Samsung can update the HDMI with a formware update for their existing TV's so they can display UHD, can for example, Marantz do a firmware update on a receiver"s HDMI board so it can passthrough the video & decode the audio ? Or am I just dreaming because I have a Marantz SR5009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
well i have a everything goes through my windows 10 PC so yes it does. i have Netflix and a ton of apps through the windows store. running 4k on my AMH A399U UHD 39.5" 4K monitor and with 18TB of storage through 3 6TB HGST Deskstar with my Blu-Ray movies stored on them i think i am pretty good. paying over $500 plus on a Blu-ray player for free apps and a cheap HDD is insane. even dirt cheap smart tv's have all that stuff built in that you would otherwise pay allot for. if they just made a UHD player that does the simple job of playing the movie without all the gimmicks it would be allot cheaper, but since you have to pack in a whole lot of bs to attract customers they can get away with charging more. my LG WH14NS40 does the job of playing movies pretty freaking well so i don't see the point.
I could care less also about apps and hdd to store movies. All I want is UHD playback with HD sound. What are people gonna store 4 movies, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post
I do not like this "early 2016" bit. Where was the promise of stuff before the 2015 december holidays <sad emojii>
You didn't actually believed that did you?

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #63 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12492 Post(s)
Liked: 11674
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post
If Samsung can update the HDMI with a formware update for their existing TV's so they can display UHD, can for example, Marantz do a firmware update on a receiver"s HDMI board so it can passthrough the video & decode the audio ? Or am I just dreaming because I have a Marantz SR5009.

Depends what chips are used.

Samsung in 2015 used the very best available silicon 9777 chip. Are those chips used in the marantz? Probably not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12492 Post(s)
Liked: 11674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
I could care less also about apps and hdd to store movies. All I want is UHD playback with HD sound. What are people gonna store 4 movies, lol

There will probably be cheaper players with different size hard drives. The higher spec's players will cost more. I'm sure eventually there will be bare bones players for cheap.
post #65 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
There will probably be cheaper players with different size hard drives. The higher spec's players will cost more. I'm sure eventually there will be bare bones players for cheap.
Of course there will, I think $500 is a fair price as well, I just don't see the benefit in adding extra features that a lot of people won't use. But that's the way it is.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #66 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Well with the madness end! Sure I would love 4K content, now if manufactures where smart they would have a nice trade in or trade up policy when it comes to TVs. I plan on going the Sony 4K projector route in a year or 2, till then I will gladly sit this one out for awhile. Atmos receiver first then new cables because you need them because of the new HDMI spec etc...etc.. I think Sony was first in the category of first DVD player and Blu-Ray player if memory servers me right.
post #67 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
I think at some point we will see a push to kill off physical discs in favor of streaming and it will come from the Direct TV's, the internet service providers like Comcast etc. I have always preferred a physical disc rather than to download a movie, software etc. I can share it with my family and friends at my leisure but not sure I can do that with a download. All my pictures, videos etc I have stored on a personal cloud server but I have kept all the physical SD cards as a backup in case I have a catastrophic failure of my multiple computers and the cloud drive (not likely though). I love my collections of DVD's and Blu rays and books. They will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.
This is a bold statement, but I think one of the main reasons why the Blu-ray format never took off (in the sense that never surpassed DVDs in sales) and UHD Blu-ray never will either, it's because of Apple. They never had the intention of supporting the format and never will, and Apple has a LOT of influence in the tech industry in general.
post #68 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
$500 ain't bad for an Ultra HD Blu-ray player...I was expecting the price to be higher. I'll wait for Oppo to release one...
KidHorn, shyguy3763 and hernanu like this.
post #69 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
Quote:
''under'' $500... $499 that is so overpriced its hilarious. wait until the other 5+ company's release a player then we can see how quick the price drops.
Not really it's niche product, be prepared to wait. Price wars are way off..

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #70 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar View Post
This is a bold statement, but I think one of the main reasons why the Blu-ray format never took off (in the sense that never surpassed DVDs in sales) and UHD Blu-ray never will either, it's because of Apple. They never had the intention of supporting the format and never will, and Apple has a LOT of influence in the tech industry in general.
DVD's should have been killed off but the studios wouldn't do it. That and the constant updating need of player software limited Blu ray.
Black adder likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #71 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
First-gen (480-i) DVD players were approx $500, if not more. My original Toshiba (SD107 clearanced @ $350) is still going strong.
The top of the line was $799 and the Sony was $999. I can't recall the model numbers though.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #72 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar View Post
HUH?
Apple didn't support BD drives, because they thought optical media is dead, but their impact on the PC market continues to be marginal, as they continue to focus on their sole success now the iPhone/pad, which isn't competing with HT markets. You give these guys way too much credit.
blackssr and TorTorden like this.

The Hun
post #73 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
DVD's should have been killed off but the studios wouldn't do it. That and the constant updating need of player software limited Blu ray.
http://www.ibtimes.com/home-entertai...s-soar-1776440

For the first time, Americans spent more on digital video providers than physical discs in 2014 to get their filmed content. According to research published by the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG), full-year revenue from the sale of DVDs and Blu-ray Discs declined nearly 11 percent in 2014, to $6.93 billion, while digital spending, which includes subscription streams as well as video-on-demand services, shot up more than 16 percent, to $7.53 billion.
post #74 of 463 Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Expect that to continue to any disc based format. It's all about CP and the studios who keep continue to wage a useless war on the consumer. Fox and SPHE are the two most notorious offenders of this trend.

The Hun
post #75 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Am really looking forward to UHD BD. $500 (£350-ish here in UK) isn't bad. Won't be able to utilize the HDR yet as my 2014 Samsung HU9000 doesn't have it (unless I upgrade to the SEK-3500 OCB - which still isn't available here in UK) however have been watching the 4K content on Netflix and have been very impressed with the extra resolution so 4K BD is next on my shopping list.

Looking forward to the hardware Sony and Panasonic will be offering.
post #76 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 431
"Are you looking forward to Ultra HD Blu-ray?" I'm excited about UHD BD and glad to start out by purchasing 1080 combo packs. I hope they come out soon!! And I'll be happy to pay $30 to future proof my collection.

Quote:
I remember it was less expensive to buy a computer blu ray drive than a stand-alone player and play it over my PC with Arcsoft. They were so outrageously expensive compared to HD DVD.
PC-DVD Encore by Creative is how I started watching DVDs. I had a 21" tube computer screen that I could watch on or I could send it to the video outs and go to my ~27" tube TV. It looked better on the computer monitor so if by myself I'd watch on the computer monitor. Wow, how my home viewing and listening has changed!

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #77 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Depends what chips are used.

Samsung in 2015 used the very best available silicon 9777 chip. Are those chips used in the marantz? Probably not.
With one HDMI output the older 4K TV'S will not be able to display HDR.

http://4k.com/tv/a-review-of-the-lg-...d-4k-smart-tv/
These are identical to curved models like the 77EG9700 in all regards except that they have no screen curvature and, more crucially, they come with HDMI 2.0a, which is the most HDR content-ready version of HDR (High Dynamic Range, enhanced contrast in other words). The 77EG9700, for all its high pricing, does not have this connectivity feature and won’t be physically updated with it as far as we know. Thus, LG has given a slight kick in the rear to all its loyal customers who put down money for the first batch of 2015 OLEDs, and is now rewarding buyers who waited with the true best connectivity specs on the market.
Make no mistake, the 77EG9700 and all of its 2015 cousins from before the HDMI 2.0a hardware update are still more than ready to handle HDR content in terms of their contrast capacities but the new flatscreen models that emerge in September will be “truly” HDR-compatible as no previous LG TV is.
post #78 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm shure that Panasonic is next in the Line for the UHD Player.
I will be at IFA next and will report here
post #79 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Anyone who thinks $500 is too much has a really short memory. The prices WILL come down in short order. Especially when more competition (Chinese players bundled w titles) hits the market.
cr671 likes this.
post #80 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Don't forget, Samsung introduced the first Blu-ray player, and it was $1000, so $500 for the first UHD BD player out of the gate seems pretty good to me. Of course, I expect prices will come down pretty quickly over the course of a year or two.
Exactly... I can NOT forget that player. A good friend found an open box for $850 and was so happy.

That player was total garbage. May not have been entirely Samsung's fault because Blu Ray was not well defined at that point. If we have profile 2.0 I don't think 1.0 was fully settled when that player was first sold.

I helped him upgrade the FW several times... worst player I have ever seen.

Thankfully, eventually he bought a Sony BDP. Was a great day for us both as I'm the guy he always calls for help.

-Brian
post #81 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
well i have a everything goes through my windows 10 PC so yes it does. i have Netflix and a ton of apps through the windows store. running 4k on my AMH A399U UHD 39.5" 4K monitor and with 18TB of storage through 3 6TB HGST Deskstar with my Blu-Ray movies stored on them i think i am pretty good. paying over $500 plus on a Blu-ray player for free apps and a cheap HDD is insane. even dirt cheap smart tv's have all that stuff built in that you would otherwise pay allot for. if they just made a UHD player that does the simple job of playing the movie without all the gimmicks it would be allot cheaper, but since you have to pack in a whole lot of bs to attract customers they can get away with charging more. my LG WH14NS40 does the job of playing movies pretty freaking well so i don't see the point.
If you are using Netflix on a PC, you are getting the lowest, most compressed HD they have. They do not allow UHD streams or even the higher bitrate "superHD" streams through PC, only through apps. I got a Chromecast and never used the Netflix on my PC again, because the pq of Netflix through Chromecast (or any smarttv or smart device app) absolutely blows away the pq of the crippled PC streams. Even if they let us get a UHD drive and software player, I would still get a UHD standalone player because Netflix will never offer UHD streams over PC (half of my viewing is streaming, half of my viewing is discs.) You are really missing out if you don't get a standalone device for Netflix.
And if they ever offer lossless audio via Netflix, you won't get that on a pc or a smarttv (because you can only get lossy out of a smarttv), you'll need a standalone device for that.

Quote:
I remember it was less expensive to buy a computer blu ray drive than a stand-alone player and play it over my PC with Arcsoft. They were so outrageously expensive compared to HD DVD.
Yep, I waited to jump into HD discs until CES in January 2008, the very day that Warner Bros announced Bluray exclusive support I knew Bluray won the war and immediately ordered a bluray drive for my htpc, for like $100. Still have it, still works (though I did get a faster second drive eventually for faster ripping)

I think we can we all agree that we are all very thankful there is no format war!!!
post #82 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8815 Post(s)
Liked: 15481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
I'm shure that Panasonic is next in the Line for the UHD Player.
I will be at IFA next and will report here
Certainly, don't forget Panasonic showed a "concept" player at CES.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #83 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
HUH?
Apple didn't support BD drives, because they thought optical media is dead, but their impact on the PC market continues to be marginal, as they continue to focus on their sole success now the iPhone/pad, which isn't competing with HT markets. You give these guys way too much credit.
I'm sorry mate but "this guys" have a lot of influence not only in the tech industry but in the entertainment industry, that's where I was going, you see, the relation there...Blu-ray (technology-entertainment).

Wait, "their impact on the PC market continues to be marginal" ? When they are the only PC vendors growing now and with more than 50% of the PC market profits...ahh, I get it, "market share" is what matters and what you refer to...:roll eyes:.

Anyway...discussion for another day.
post #84 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
I'm surprised at how low the MSRP is. $500 is nothing. I was expecting closer to $1k.

I'm more surprised they won't be available by Thanksgiving. Not only will they lose holiday season sales on the players, but also on UHD TVs. I would imagine the existence of the players and seeing UHD content on the TVs would help with TV sales.
imagic likes this.
post #85 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
I'll be more excited when they announce the drives to rip the movie off of the slow discs and onto my server.
exactly.

does anybody know when they will release a player for PC?
post #86 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
$500 is an ok price point.

Well, if it came with a 55 gallon drum of Vaseline, maybe.
steve1971 and Jawaburger like this.
post #87 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Don't forget, Samsung introduced the first Blu-ray player, and it was $1000, so $500 for the first UHD BD player out of the gate seems pretty good to me. Of course, I expect prices will come down pretty quickly over the course of a year or two.

That's a year in which 4K sales will flounder and chase away new adoption of movies and television.

It's not hard, or very expensive, to build a player.
steve1971 likes this.
post #88 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Despite all the hoopla here on AVS, this will be a very niche product. Streaming is the future. You are already seeing Best Buy and Costco phasing out Blu-ray. I really don't see much of a future for this format at all. 4K will primarily be a streaming product in 2 years. I seriously doubt that retailers want to get involved in this in a real way at all.
steve1971 likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #89 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I think I'll hold off until there's a UHD projector that can display the expanded color gamut and higher contrast (HDR). 1080p is fine for the TVs in my house; the real need is in my dedicated home theater.
post #90 of 463 Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Maybe for a Samsung compared to today's Bluray players made by them - so many years down the track. But as a first gen model I wouldn't call it expensive. As so many have comment on the forums lately, we all remember the $1000 bluray players when they first launched. You've no doubt seen what the very limited(pretty much a waste of time) Sony FMP-X10 4K media player retails for yeah?

Also noting generally, its now looking like so much for a UHD bluray player for Xmas, bummer.

There are no parallels. It's too much money, and you know it.

This will not spur adoption. The first player I got, without any sound modes, was $500, and it was a sea change from DVD. You can chime in with the "but it's HDR, blah blah blah" crowd, but inside, you know it doesn't add up.

$299 is high end. $500? They are not serious about this, and the usual games of lowering the price in the real world to $400, and next year $300, simply won't work this time.

I just bought a very expensive Sony 79", and passed on their too-expensive movie download machine (and equally ludicrous movie prices). I also own a Kuro; I am not a cheapskate. But those devices have value; a Samsung with a curved look, $500, and some nonsense about HDR, will not fly.

It will change, just like Atmos did, and we need to see some sanity here, not cheerleading and "exciting times" talk about a player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
frontpage , Samsung , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page