Sony Ultra HD Blu-ray Titles: The First Six - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #31 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
All of the studios have announced disappointing lineups. 2015 was one of the biggest movie years in recent history, there's at least 10 blockbuster movies from this year that should be available in hdr on disc (jurassic world, furious 7, mad max, San andreas, pixels, MI5, avengers 2).

I did however get a chance to watch part of Smurfs 2 last night in hdr from amazon. And I have 2 say that from all the hdr I've watched so far, Smurfs 2 is the only one I would put into the category of "reference" like as far as 4k hdr. Simply gorgeous with the color and the resolution appears to be true 4k as well. It was much better quality than the amazing spiderman 2 hdr that I also bought from amazon. (Which isn't too shabby itself).
I suspect all the blockbusters this year will get relatively early UHD releases, they probably just don't want to announce it right now during the 1080p blu-ray releases and the Christmas present season. Once they have sold all the normal blu-rays they want, they'll release the UHD version.
ray0414 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I figured with the recent success at the box office of the new Bond film, Sony would've released Spectre and Skyfall in UHD Blu-Ray.

Since Skyfall is so recent, it should be in great shape and involve minimal effort and money to port it for 4K blu-ray format while keeping video/audio quality top-notch.

post #33 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Granted they may not be blockbusters but at least it is UHD content.....

Now, how about some affordable 4k projectors please
Agree on the projectors!

Disagree on the UHD/4K content.
There is plenty of stupid people/pet tricks in 4K on youtube.
Major studios that have great content should use it!
For me these 1st movies are pretty 'meh' inducing. Even 5th Element would have been 'yeah so' since I got the Atmos anniversary release a couple of weeks ago.

Realizing that these are not Sony properties, but work with me here.
If the first 6 or 9 titles would have been for example;

Captain America The First Avenger
Captain America Winter Soldier
Thor
Thor Dark World
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Avengers Age of Ultron

If sony had released true blockbusters I wouldn't be typing this reply, I would be scrounging cash and researching Black Friday sales to get a 4K TV. Just that easy.
ray0414 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
You might be right. Maybe these were low hanging fruit so they could get something out quickly.
I dunno, studios and production facilities have known about 4k for a while.
The encoding and manufacturing process should all be in place. This isn't their first digital HD rodeo. Whoever buys the first (premium priced?) titles shouldn't have to be a beta tester for the format.
post #35 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Again all the haters.

C'mon guys: to release movies is like betting on something you can't win. Why all this whining about the titles? To me this is great news. To complain about the first couple of movies makes no sense. In a year's time we will have probably around 250 - 300 films to chose from.

Remember when the CD came out? 4 classical titles and 2 Dire Straits I believe. I bought 2 classical ones. Certainly not titles for the mass market, but you have to start with something. Remember when the first DTS LD's came out? Look at those suckers. T2 was good, Jurassic Park too and also The Abyss, but then the next bunch was all the crap that Universal puts out every time there is a new format.

I say, be grateful that a new era is starting for us HT enthusiasts.
IMHO I think the negativity directed at Sony is the usual double dip tactics the industry conducts. Issue mastered in 4K Blu-rays to promote sales of UDTV's, then a few months later marketed the same content again in 4K UHD Blu-ray format so if your UDTV owner you've end up getting tempted again with exactly the same content.

While back we had the same stuff going on with Superbit DVD releases and soon after Blu-rays of the same titles. As it stands I wonder if they early 4K UHD Blu-rays will be as pristine in video quality as later releases will be of the same title? Yes I am thinking fondly of all the Fifth Element releases I still have!
RickyDeg likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #36 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Again all the haters.

C'mon guys: to release movies is like betting on something you can't win. Why all this whining about the titles? To me this is great news. To complain about the first couple of movies makes no sense. In a year's time we will have probably around 250 - 300 films to chose from.

Remember when the CD came out? 4 classical titles and 2 Dire Straits I believe. I bought 2 classical ones. Certainly not titles for the mass market, but you have to start with something. Remember when the first DTS LD's came out? Look at those suckers. T2 was good, Jurassic Park too and also The Abyss, but then the next bunch was all the crap that Universal puts out every time there is a new format.

I say, be grateful that a new era is starting for us HT enthusiasts.
And not many people got those first not for the mass market titles. 4K has been thrown in our faces as THE BIG THING with TVs available for approximately a year now. They need some mass market heavy hitter titles to get the cash flowing.

A lot of people who could do 4K are not gonna jump so they can watch Smurfs 2 and Hancock. For lots of people who might like to make the move, the new titles are not screaming "get 4K now", more like putting up a police line caution tape warning 'enter at your own risk, not responsible for disappointment or buyers remorse'

I am grateful that a new era is starting, but with this weak showing 1080p is gonna be my goto for another year.
RickyDeg likes this.
post #37 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Ive watched 6 or 7 of hte fox HDR movies, and 4-5 of the sony HDR movies, and so far the quality of the sony HDR is noticeably better than the fox stuff.

I did do a small comparison of the Smurf 2 4K on netflix and Smurfs 2 4k with HDR on amazon, the difference was quite amazing. The colors/depth/detail and overall strength of picture was easily in favor of the HDR version. HDR is becoming very addicting to me with its added depth and enhanced colors and the way it "corrects" faults in the picture. The exanded colors and extra shades of each color really creat a picture like we've never seen before, very exciting.

I am SO looking forward to blockbusters being released in 4k Blu Ray format.
I thought the Surfs 2 UHD on Netflix was some of the best UHD streaming quality I've seen if not the best. I hated to use Surfs as my demo when showing off my new4K TV but it was the best. It disappeared form Netflix..... Bummer. Makes sense it would be an easy roll out on the new blurry format.

I found it on Amazon but it does not show HDR in the description and only option seems to be to buy it for $26. I also could not find anything on Amazon that says its HDR? Searched everyday i could imagine. My app is the updated ROKU 4 app.

Any HDR help on Amazon would be appreciated.
post #38 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
Agree on the projectors!

Disagree on the UHD/4K content.
There is plenty of stupid people/pet tricks in 4K on youtube.
Major studios that have great content should use it!
For me these 1st movies are pretty 'meh' inducing. Even 5th Element would have been 'yeah so' since I got the Atmos anniversary release a couple of weeks ago.

Realizing that these are not Sony properties, but work with me here.
If the first 6 or 9 titles would have been for example;

Captain America The First Avenger
Captain America Winter Soldier
Thor
Thor Dark World
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Avengers Age of Ultron

If sony had released true blockbusters I wouldn't be typing this reply, I would be scrounging cash and researching Black Friday sales to get a 4K TV. Just that easy.
Iron man 2 is the only one of those that you mention that was mastered in 4k, the rest in 2k, so not much point in releasing them in UHD-BD...
nathan_h likes this.
post #39 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post
what type of audio are these new releases? are any/all atmos or dts:x?
That's the BIG missing part in that Sony's new UHD BR announcement. ...That, along with the 3D Blu-ray disc included or not.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Am.../63970/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sm.../80173/#Review

Last edited by NorthSky; 11-13-2015 at 12:55 PM.
post #40 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
That's the BIG missing part in that Sony's new UHD BR announcement. ...That, along with the 3D Blu-ray disc included or not.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Am.../63970/#Review

It would be extremely disappointing if these UHD discs did not feature the latest sound formats...I am getting tired of re-buying the same titles over and over because of directors cut/platinum edition/extended version/atmos version etc....
post #41 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12470 Post(s)
Liked: 11661
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasSobka View Post
Iron man 2 is the only one of those that you mention that was mastered in 4k, the rest in 2k, so not much point in releasing them in UHD-BD...
Even if only 2k, the hdr regrading makes it absolutely worth it.
Scott Wilkinson likes this.
post #42 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
I though Sony was going to offer DolbyVision on their new releases. I think these are just ones they already had on the FXP.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...t-offer-821701
That was for theater release. They never actually mentioned 4k discs.
post #43 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
I thought the Surfs 2 UHD on Netflix was some of the best UHD streaming quality I've seen if not the best. I hated to use Surfs as my demo when showing off my new4K TV but it was the best. It disappeared form Netflix..... Bummer. Makes sense it would be an easy roll out on the new blurry format.

I found it on Amazon but it does not show HDR in the description and only option seems to be to buy it for $26. I also could not find anything on Amazon that says its HDR? Searched everyday i could imagine. My app is the updated ROKU 4 app.

Any HDR help on Amazon would be appreciated.

Roku 4 doesn't do hdr. I took mine back because of that.

What tv do u have?

I agree that Smurfs 2 on Netflix was the best uhd I had seen too. The hdr version imo destroys it. It is the epitome what 4k hdr SHOULD be.
post #44 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson
Many titles will include immersive soundtracks, though Sony isn't announcing specifics about that yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post
It would be extremely disappointing if these UHD discs did not feature the latest sound formats...I am getting tired of re-buying the same titles over and over because of directors cut/platinum edition/extended version/atmos version etc....
All we have so far is what Scott mentioned in his first original post (quote just above yours). ...Going without any specifics yet from Sony.

* I don't care about these new six UHD BR titles; one I already have them on Blu-ray (two of them in 3D), and my biggest concern and interest is with the NEW stuff, the new movies, not the old stuff. ...And I want to have the regular 3D Blu-ray disc included in the package, plus the new 3D immersive audio (Dolby Atmos or DTS:X) included in both the UHD Blu-ray disc and the regular 3D (and 2D) Blu-ray disc. Anything less I'm not flying.

It is already a big downer to not have 3D UHD Blu-ray, so I don't want more "slipping" (skipping) than that; or "there will be blood". ...Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and starring Daniel Day-Lewis.
post #45 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What tv do u have?

I agree that Smurfs 2 on Netflix was the best uhd I had seen too. The hdr version imo destroys it. It is the epitome what 4k hdr SHOULD be.
I knew that. What was I thinking.

My TV is a Panasonic TC65AX800U I believe. The Amazon app will not let you stream 4K. Netflix yes, Amazon no.

Thanks for the reminder.
post #46 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I'm generally going to wait until 2017 to buy an UHD Blu-ray player. I'd like to wait for 2nd-generation hardware, which will likely be much less expensive than first. Likewise, I think UHD-BD media will have come down in price some and leveled off.

In the mean time, my movie-buying strategy will be to buy the UHD version of movies as they come out IF they come with a standard Blu-ray. I'll just stockpile and future proof my library until I have a player to view them -- that's been my strategy for 3D movies since all I DON'T have yet is a 3D-capable TV, which will come in February or March once I get my tax refund and see what HDR-capable sets are on the market.

As for what movies I'm buying NOW ... I'm being quite selective. If we really want to watch it now, I'm buying it. Like I said, I'm also getting 3D versions of movies that I expect will never be 3D on UHD-BD. Otherwise, I'm holding off until I see what happens. There are some catalog titles that I never got around to buying that I'll now wait for on UHD Blu-ray -- cough, Fifth Element, cough -- and slowly build up my library that way as well.
RickyDeg likes this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #47 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I knew that. What was I thinking.

My TV is a Panasonic TC65AX800U I believe. The Amazon app will not let you stream 4K. Netflix yes, Amazon no.

Thanks for the reminder.

The built in Amazon app on panasonic tvs don't do 4k? Are you serious?

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #48 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What tv do u have?

Ok

Just went back to my TV's Amazon app and it's a miracle it has the UHD stuff now I think. At least the UHD shows up in my watchlist shows. Does your Amazon app give a choice for HDR and or can you see it is in a description?
Thanks
ray0414 likes this.
post #49 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Ok

Just went back to my TV's Amazon app and it's a miracle it has the UHD stuff now I think. At least the UHD shows up in my watchlist shows. Does your Amazon app give a choice for HDR and or can you see it is in a description?
Thanks

Click on movie info. That's the only place that will show an hdr badge.

Btw, I created master list of currently available hdr content, the link is in my signature at the bottom.

post #50 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Fury is the only movie i look forward to.
But thank gawd i saw this and really look forward their release.
post #51 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Click on movie info. That's the only place that will show an hdr badge.

Btw, I created master list of currently available hdr content, the link is in my signature at the bottom.
Thanks

Where is movie info. Say in Mozart tv show. At the begining before the show starts? While its playing I can't find anything to pull up info and before it starts when you are at say a description page I don't see anything like that.

Thanks
post #52 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forget it. I just found a way to look att resolution and it's still playing 1080 from the tv app. HDR maybe in the future.
post #53 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Where is movie info. Say in Mozart tv show. At the begining before the show starts? While its playing I can't find anything to pull up info and before it starts when you are at say a description page I don't see anything like that.

Thanks

Movie info is before it starts. When u click on an episode, scroll left and click on episode title Instead.

During the actual content it will never say hdr.

Also, Amazon buffers slow. Sometimes it says 1080p but needs a few seconds to buffer up to uhd.

If you go to the master list in my link, I have pictures in the 1st post that show the hdr badge so u know where to look.

post #54 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Movie info is before it starts. When u click on an episode, scroll left and click on episode title Instead.

During the actual content it will never say hdr.

Also, Amazon buffers slow. Sometimes it says 1080p but needs a few seconds to buffer up to uhd.

If you go to the master list in my link, I have pictures in the 1st post that show the hdr badge so u know where to look.
Cool.

I saw your pics and did see where HDR is listed. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting 4K on my Amazon tv app. But will start another up and let run a little longer to check.
Thanks again
post #55 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSeaBass View Post
Fury is the only movie i look forward to.
But thank gawd i saw this and really look forward their release.
I remember when Reliance was still Lowry Digital. Reliance has since been swallowed up by Prime Focus and is basically a sweatshop for Indian VFX and stereo conversions. That demo reel is work they completed while John Lowry was still alive and in charge of the company. They did the restoration on Star Wars back around 2003-2004. If there was a new more recent restoration, they certainly wouldn't be allowed to use that footage in a demo clip.
post #56 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To be honest, I am more surprised After Earth was not chosen as one of the first UHD blu-rays announced considering it was one of Sony's first movies to actually be filmed and released in 4k. lol
post #57 of 116 Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmartguy2005 View Post
To be honest, I am more surprised After Earth was not chosen as one of the first UHD blu-rays announced considering it was one of Sony's first movies to actually be filmed and released in 4k. lol

But it actually was part of the 1st 4 movies released by sony in HDR on amazon last month. It was my 1st time seeing it. Despite being a Mediocre movie, visually it was one of the best 4k hdr movies I've seen thus far.

post #58 of 116 Old 11-14-2015, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Here in the Uk I think I'm right in saying DVD out sells blu Ray by 5-1 I can't see 4K taking off any time soon .
We're faniatacal as its our hobbie , but for the masses I don't think they care :-)
post #59 of 116 Old 11-14-2015, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
My The Fifth Element collection:

LaserDisc
DVD
Superbit DVD
Bluray (craptastic edition)
Bluray
Bluray (Atmos Mi4K)

coming soon:
UHD HDR Bluray
UHD Bluray with Mastered in 8K edition.
haha, now that was funny!

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
post #60 of 116 Old 11-14-2015, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
UHD and waiting game.

For me, it is exciting to see another format and string or re-releases of titles. But remastered means that the titles weren't shot in native UHD or maybe even 1080p. Plus, what technical UHD standard are we really talking about? Until the dust settles on yet another format, I'm going to wait before buy another player or projector. Which for me might be when they re-release the entire Star Wars series in UHD or even the next format like EUHD "Extremely Ultra" or just something like 32K.

brickyardz likes this.

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
hdr , Sony , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page