Two New Dolby Cinema Locations Now Open - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #61 of 79 Old 01-03-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton View Post
They are the ones in the ceiling. The sides look like a special variation for the same speaker but in line. The 9320 is also used in other theatre chains for their premium sound systems.

Regal for their RPX theatres
Cinemark for their XD theatres
Consolidated Amusement for their Titan XC theatres.

The main key to 9320's performance is their HIGH EFFICENCY. Until recently virtually all surround speakers in commercial theatres were sorely lacking in efficiency.

High Performance Stereo with their HPS-4000 sound systems was the only system which used High Efficiency speakers for surrounds as well as the screen, as far back as 1980.

http://www.hps4000.com/pages/sr_70_.html

It has taken the industry around 30 years to finally follow what they practiced.
Thanks for the information. I live in Knoxville(Home of Regal) and all the locations here still have Klipsch speakers, including their RPX. Wish they would remodel and switch over to JBL...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 01-03-2016, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Thanks for the information. I live in Knoxville(Home of Regal) and all the locations here still have Klipsch speakers, including their RPX. Wish they would remodel and switch over to JBL...

Up until the mid 90s Klipsch actually made the speakers for the HPS-4000 sound systems. They were quality stuff. Then the pro division was sold and now they are built by some other company.
post #63 of 79 Old 01-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Dolby Cinema at AMC Empire Is Scope Screen Size

I saw Star Wars at the Dolby Cinema theatre at AMC Empire in New York and noticed the screen was a scope size. The movie filled the screen without letterbox bars above or below the image. From what I could tell, many (most?) of the Dolby Cinema rooms have flat 16:9 screens and anamorphic movies like Star Wars are being shown with letterbox bars. See, for example, the review of Star Wars at AMC Century 15 in Los Angeles on highdefdigest.com which refers to letterboxing:

Quote:
"Dolby Cinema's presentation is excellent too. Though the letterboxing above and below the screen could have been a truer black (minor nitpick alert!), the real strength of Dolby Vision is overall dynamic range."
The Revenant will be showing in the Dolby Cinema rooms at both AMC Century City and Empire when the movie goes wide this weekend. I had planned to see it at Century City to check out the Dolby Cinema room there but will catch it at the Empire because the Revenant is another scope movie and no screen masking bugs me a lot. I wonder what AMC Empire will do when they book a flat movie into the Dolby Cinema theatre. There don't seem to be any curtains or masking screens so I guess they'll leave the left and right part of the screen unmasked with flat movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 79 Old 01-04-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie# View Post

Both Dolby Cinemas in The Netherlands show Star Wars in 2D and 3D. In fact, with other Dolby Vision titles that have a 3D version, such as The Martian, there wasn't even a choice for 2D, only 3D screenings. Personally, I'm really glad that they're also showing Star Wars in 2D and I hope they will keep offering 2D screenings of movies available in 3D.
wow, that's really disturbing. If the HDR showings at the Dolby theaters end up being only 3D like IMAX does now that will be a sad day for me, since that will be when I stop going to the theater for good. I would rather stay at home at watch 2D than be forced to watch 3D...
post #65 of 79 Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Echoing the annoyance that no Dolby Cinema theaters exist in NorCal... thought I was in for a treat visiting KC over the holidays and staying at the Leawood Aloft (literally wedged between the AMC Town Center 20 and the AMC Headquarters). With no Prime theaters in my locale, I was excited to see SWFA with my kids in Dolbyvision and Atmos. To my dismay, I had to trek a few miles down the road to Cinetopia to see it in a rather pedestrian theater. Assuming some competitive agreement reached as a result of the recent lawsuit between Cinetopia and AMC. ugh. Tossed a few snowballs at the AMC HQ to express my displeasure
post #66 of 79 Old 01-08-2016, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
AMC has opened two more Dolby Cinema locations just in time for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was graded in Dolby Vision high dynamic range for Dolby Cinema theaters. The new locations are the AMC Century City 15 in Los Angeles, CA, and the AMC Desert Ridge 18 in Phoenix, AZ, bringing the total number of Dolby Cinemas to 10 in the US and 12 worldwide, with two in the Netherlands. The El Capitan in Hollywood, CA, is also showing the latest installment of the Star Wars saga in Dolby Vision HDR, but it isn't technically a Dolby Cinema because it doesn't have stadium seating and other attributes.

As far as I know, all Dolby Cinemas are showing Star Wars in 2D, while many other venues, including Imax, are showing it in 3D. I've heard that the 3D version isn't all that dramatic, but even if it was, I generally prefer 2D HDR over 3D SDR—HDR has more "pop," and it's a lot brighter than any 3D presentation, even laser-illuminated 3D.

Speaking of which, be aware that Imax and other theaters with laser-illuminated projection (LIP) use the spectrum-separation technique for 3D—that is, slightly different wavelengths of red, green, and blue for each eye with glasses that filter out one set of wavelengths for one eye and the other set for the other eye. If you wear prescription glasses like I do, there are significant reflections between the inner surface of the 3D glasses and the outer surface of prescription glasses, causing a distracting halo effect. Non-LIP Imax and other 3D theaters use polarization for 3D, which doesn't seem to cause the halo effect, but the image is very dim—typically only 25% as bright as a 2D presentation in the same theater.

I've got my ticket for Star Wars on Tuesday, December 22, at the AMC Burbank 16 Dolby Cinema, and of course, I'll share my experience right here on AVS Forum. If you haven't seen it yet—or even if you have seen it in a conventional theater—I encourage you to make the trip to one of the Dolby Cinema locations; for a complete list of current and upcoming locations, as well as other theaters with laser-illuminated projection, click here. I have little doubt it will look spectacular in Dolby Vision HDR.
Hi Scott, AMC Has just opened their first AMC Prime in NJ. It is in Paramus at the AMC Garden State 16. Now showing The Revenant in HDR. Going today to check out the new theater. They also have a very nice IMAX theater their. This theater always seems to install the latest tech and all their theaters have bright clear projection and great sound.
post #67 of 79 Old 01-09-2016, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Saw The Force Awakens twice (first showing, and a couple weeks later) at the AMC Hawthorn 12 in Vernon Hills, IL. One word review: AWESOME!
skoolpsyk likes this.
post #68 of 79 Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
I went to what was supposed to be the first showing of The Revenant at the Century City 15. They ended up having projector problems and cancelled the showing as well as the 10:40 showing. I left and came back around 10. They said they still weren't going to get the HDR setup working, so I went to a 10:15 showing in another theater.

Partway through I went out to get some water and checked just to see if they were doing the 10:40 showing in the DC theater. They were, so I watched the rest in there.

It looked good, but I wonder if it was HDR. There was a spot that seemed like a blackout were the screen was still a gray rectangle. I noticed the same thing when the credits started and seemed like there shou I do have been black frames. The room lights were quickly raised though and so I couldn'the really judge the screen anymore. I looked at the back of the room instead. There were 2 light beams coming out of separate windows and neither one was going out for what I expect were all black frames.

If anybody else goes to this one in HDR I would appreciate it if you report what happens for what seems like an extended blackout in the 2d half of The Revenant and then what the projector booth is putting out during the black frames during the early part of the credits.

Thanks,
Darin
post #69 of 79 Old 01-11-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
A buddy of mine went to a Dolby Theater in Addison, Illinois and said the picture and sound lived up to the hype but the theater had a small screen. That is the only Dolby Theater in the state but the small screen is keeping me from giving it a go. I don't like watching movies in a theater on a small screen. It ruins the whole thing.
post #70 of 79 Old 01-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I went to what was supposed to be the first showing of The Revenant at the Century City 15. They ended up having projector problems and cancelled the showing as well as the 10:40 showing. I left and came back around 10. They said they still weren't going to get the HDR setup working, so I went to a 10:15 showing in another theater.

Partway through I went out to get some water and checked just to see if they were doing the 10:40 showing in the DC theater. They were, so I watched the rest in there.

It looked good, but I wonder if it was HDR. There was a spot that seemed like a blackout were the screen was still a gray rectangle. I noticed the same thing when the credits started and seemed like there shou I do have been black frames. The room lights were quickly raised though and so I couldn'the really judge the screen anymore. I looked at the back of the room instead. There were 2 light beams coming out of separate windows and neither one was going out for what I expect were all black frames.

If anybody else goes to this one in HDR I would appreciate it if you report what happens for what seems like an extended blackout in the 2d half of The Revenant and then what the projector booth is putting out during the black frames during the early part of the credits.

Thanks,
Darin
Hi Darin,

I saw the Revenant over the weekend at the Dolby Cinema theatre at the AMC Empire in NYC. I'm not really sure what blackout moment you're referring to (it's a long movie). Help me out - what was happening at that point in the movie? I glanced up at the projection booth as I was leaving and saw two separate streams of light but can't say if they correlated to black frames (I didn't see your post till after I saw the movie).

I will say that nothing about the presentation struck me as visually off nor did I notice any grayish shapes. In fact, there was a scene early in the movie that I think is purely a function of HDR. It was a brief shot of embers from a fire rising into the pitch black night sky. The individual burning elements were super bright and distinct while the background night sky remained inky black. The contrast was tremendous. IMHO, the Revenant's wilderness landscapes are a much better showcase for Dolby Cinema than Star Wars which looked good but not distinctive visually. On the other, the Revenant in Dolby Cinema looked extraordinary.

BTW, was the scope image of the Revenant in the Century City Dolby Cinema masked or filled the entire screen or was it projected with visible screen above and below the image? I will be in Los Angeles this weekend and may stop by the Century City to check out the room.

Last edited by peterlee; 01-11-2016 at 06:41 PM.
post #71 of 79 Old 01-11-2016, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
A buddy of mine went to a Dolby Theater in Addison, Illinois and said the picture and sound lived up to the hype but the theater had a small screen. That is the only Dolby Theater in the state but the small screen is keeping me from giving it a go. I don't like watching movies in a theater on a small screen. It ruins the whole thing.

That's not a Dolby Cinema AFAIK... The one I went to in Vernon Hills is a true DC, and the only one listed on AMCs site for Illinois.

You and your buddy should make the drive to Hawthorn to see a movie and report back with your thoughts. Like I said a few posts up, Star Wars was absolutely incredible!
post #72 of 79 Old 01-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I went to the second to last showing of The Force Awakens at the Dolby Cinema location at the AMC Desert Ridge in Arizona last night. There was about 10 people in the theater, so I can understand why they're now switching it out for another movie, but it was kind of sad knowing that I wouldn't be able to see it in this format again.

I was going to say, if anyone hasn't seen it in this format to go and see it, but I think it might be too late now.
post #73 of 79 Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
anyone near orange county a new dolby theatre in Norwalk will be opening towards the end of april. amc Norwalk 20
post #74 of 79 Old 04-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I experienced HDR for the first time this weekend, and am wondering if anyone else has had a so/so experience with it. (surely this has been discussed elsewhere?)

I went to see Jungle Book at the Dolby Cinema at Tyson's Corner in VA. The HDR video and Dolby Atmos audio is an impressive presentation for sure, but I think the HDR might be 'impressive' in a negative way. The contrast is remarkable, but they achieve that contrast to a large degree by running dual projectors and a high gain screen and therefore are capable of seriously bright highlights. So bright in fact that I nearly felt the need to squint during some scenes. Other times when there is a wide range of brightness (like fire at night) it does look 'neat,' but also looks unnatural. In the real world our eyes aren't designed to take in the dark and the light at the same time - meaning 'night vision' is a real thing and our eyes adjust over a few minutes to changes in brightness. It seems to me that we can't take in fire and near total darkness at the same time like HDR tries to portray. From a technical standpoint it's impressive, but does the technology aid in the story telling of a movie or distract from it?

Bottom line, I'm not convinced HDR is realistic, or at the very least is not relaxing. Maybe since i'm not so young anymore it will just take me longer get used to it. I'm sold on 4k though. Am I the only one who has this opinion?

Last edited by Danonano; 04-17-2016 at 04:08 PM.
post #75 of 79 Old 04-17-2016, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I went to see the Jungle Book today at the Dolby Cinema at Tyson's Corner in VA.

It was a really good presentation. Dolby vision is outstanding. Dolby Atmos mix was really good. The icing of the cake was that seats had some butt-kickers.

Chris. My DVD UHD Blu Ray and Blu Ray collection jvc dla-rs2000, ST 130 (144") cinemascope screen, Carada Masquerade CIH masking system, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W CCMM682s in-ceiling speakers (4), B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 60 processor, Parasound Halo A51+(2xA21)+(2xA23) amps, Panasonic UB820 player, Roku Ultra, vertex, and Harmony Elite remote.
post #76 of 79 Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Jungle Book will be the first movie released in Dolby Vision 3D.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/do...ngle-book.html

Its playing only in 3D at the AMC 25 in NYC. :roll eyes:
Still Im curious to check it out.
post #77 of 79 Old 06-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorzeney View Post
One fairly major call out in my view: the stair/step/aisle lighting at the front corner of the theater were reflecting on the bottom corners of the screen. Anytime the screen went black or dark in the bottom corners, there was a red glow on the screen's bottom corners. Considering the effort that was likely placed in the design of the theaters, I see this as a very amateur mistake for AMC/Dolby to have made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianBowcaster View Post
I just went to that same theater this weekend, the Phoenix AZ Desert Ridge AMC and I absolutely know what you're talking about, the lights on the bottom corners of the screen. They were a little bit distracting and made the screen a little brighter. It was the first Dolby Theater I've been to and after visiting the IMAX the day before, I think I can admit I like the Dolby Theater better. If it wasn't 40 miles away I would probably go more.
I saw Star Wars: TFA and Captain America: Civil War at the Deerbrook 24 AMC Prime/Dolby Cinema in Northeast Houston (Kingwood) and enjoyed both movies; however, the red glow from the isle lighting was very evident in the lower corners of the screen and ended up being very distracting for me. Once I saw it, I wasn't able to "unsee" it and it seemed even more of a distraction during Civil War. I loved the experience, but the red glow was disappointing and perplexing that it even exists in a theater promoting so much cutting-edge technology.

Like @HylianBowcaster this theater is 40 miles away from me and I won't be back until this issue is corrected. There's an AMC IMAX that's closer and a much easier drive, but I sure will miss that contrast
post #78 of 79 Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I agree, even the emergency exit light completely destroys the side of the screen it's on. I have 4K HDR ATMOS in my Theater room, and I'm about done going to the movies, especially if screening room comes out.
post #79 of 79 Old 06-24-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
the etx theatre at amc 30 in orange,ca. is being converted into a dolby theatre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
dolby cinema , dolby vision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page