Two New Dolby Cinema Locations Now Open - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #1 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Two New Dolby Cinema Locations Now Open

AMC has opened two more Dolby Cinema locations just in time for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was graded in Dolby Vision high dynamic range for Dolby Cinema theaters. The new locations are the AMC Century City 15 in Los Angeles, CA, and the AMC Desert Ridge 18 in Phoenix, AZ, bringing the total number of Dolby Cinemas to 10 in the US and 12 worldwide, with two in the Netherlands. The El Capitan in Hollywood, CA, is also showing the latest installment of the Star Wars saga in Dolby Vision HDR, but it isn't technically a Dolby Cinema because it doesn't have stadium seating and other attributes.

As far as I know, all Dolby Cinemas are showing Star Wars in 2D, while many other venues, including Imax, are showing it in 3D. I've heard that the 3D version isn't all that dramatic, but even if it was, I generally prefer 2D HDR over 3D SDR—HDR has more "pop," and it's a lot brighter than any 3D presentation, even laser-illuminated 3D.

Speaking of which, be aware that Imax and other theaters with laser-illuminated projection (LIP) use the spectrum-separation technique for 3D—that is, slightly different wavelengths of red, green, and blue for each eye with glasses that filter out one set of wavelengths for one eye and the other set for the other eye. If you wear prescription glasses like I do, there are significant reflections between the inner surface of the 3D glasses and the outer surface of prescription glasses, causing a distracting halo effect. Non-LIP Imax and other 3D theaters use polarization for 3D, which doesn't seem to cause the halo effect, but the image is very dim—typically only 25% as bright as a 2D presentation in the same theater.

I've got my ticket for Star Wars on Tuesday, December 22, at the AMC Burbank 16 Dolby Cinema, and of course, I'll share my experience right here on AVS Forum. If you haven't seen it yet—or even if you have seen it in a conventional theater—I encourage you to make the trip to one of the Dolby Cinema locations; for a complete list of current and upcoming locations, as well as other theaters with laser-illuminated projection, click here. I have little doubt it will look spectacular in Dolby Vision HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Pls let us know what difference HDR makes when watching this film. Can you describe what you are seeing in terms of differneces according to Dolby's new luminance ranges. So, instead of todays luminance ranges of shadows, mid-tones and highlights, Dolby has 6 ranges "per your post": Super Highlights, Highlights, White Range, "Most Typical Objects", Shadow Details, Ultra Blacks. Thx! We are discussing this topic in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post37187674

JJ

Last edited by Carbon Ft Print; 12-21-2015 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, you should watch the movie in dolby cinema as well as IMAX LIP just to compare the HDR. That would be so cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks for this update. I will be in Phoenix next Spring for a few days. So I don't expect to be able to catch Star Wars VII at that point but hopefully something else worthwile to catch in HDR at that time. I just hate having to choose between HDR and 3D; I understand the technical issues that result in image dimming (with the amount varying depending on the type of tech being used), but I think this can be overcome. Hopefully at some point we'll be able to see content in both HDR and 3D simultaneously.

FWIW, I did see the trailer for Star Wars VII in 3D (but not the film yet) in 3D and thought it looked really good. But lasers and lightsabers in HDR sounds really appealing too. Will anxiously await Scott's report, as long as there's no spoilers, but I trust Scott in that regard so I have no worries there.
post #5 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Scott, it may be your glasses or even the particular generation of 3D glasses you were wearing, that causes the haloing you see. I wear glasses too, and the last time I saw 3D laser projection I did not notice any halos. Also, from reading the linked post by SkyCyberguy it sounds like the Netherlands and maybe some other locations are getting a 3D EDR version of the movie.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post39927250
post #6 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 965
I saw Force Awakens at the AMC 25 (dolby cinema) yesterday. One word: AMAZING! I thought it looked and sounded spectacular! One of the most immersive movie going experiences for me. Been waiting on your review Scott. Take note how the colors pop in Dolby Vision. It reminded me of my quantum dot Sony W9. And the Atmos audio was something else. I don't want to say anymore. Im seeing in in IMAX 3D on Saturday. Looking forward to see how that experience stacks up.
Carbon Ft Print and ImaStar like this.

Last edited by helvetica bold; 12-21-2015 at 08:46 PM.
post #7 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
I bought tickets for Wednesday at a standard Imax in 3D. I don't see any Dolby Vision theaters in Washington State. Is Imax the way to go without a Dolby Theater near by? And it looks like only two Imax's in the whole state have the new lasers, based on the link in the article. Damn.
post #8 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Scott as was mentioned in your original post about Star Wars and Dolby Vision, the AMC Prime in Dallas Texas (Village on the Parkway 9) is not playing Star Wars. Seems collusion and such is alive and well with the studios and cinemas. I just can't believe Dolby is alright with this. But in short, you cannot see Star Wars in all Dolby Vision theaters. I wish people would raise a bigger stink about this but nobody does.
post #9 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipford View Post
Scott as was mentioned in your original post about Star Wars and Dolby Vision, the AMC Prime in Dallas Texas (Village on the Parkway 9) is not playing Star Wars. Seems collusion and such is alive and well with the studios and cinemas. I just can't believe Dolby is alright with this. But in short, you cannot see Star Wars in all Dolby Vision theaters. I wish people would raise a bigger stink about this but nobody does.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. How absurd! Unfortunately, Dolby has no control over what any given theater shows or doesn't show, so I would raise holy hell with AMC and the local theater.
post #10 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Scott, be prepared to be thoroughly impressed by the Dolby Cinema presentation. Hope your seats are center. Think you're familiar with the sound system; should exceed your expectations, the mix is near perfect. There will be a few soft shots in close ups. Think that's an effect of 35mm film, so it didn't bother me. Also know they used some sort of "PhotoShop" for Carrie Fisher scenes; you could see it, but I understand why.

Shadow detail and blacks are sharp and deep. You'll have several opportunities to draw a conclusion of what you see.

Overall, think at least 2 viewings are needed to fully capture and remember everything.

Do plan to purchase the Blu Ray, but this movie demands to be viewed in a large format theater. Dolby Cinema delivers in spades.

My faith has now been restored in Disney's care taking of the Star Wars canon.
post #11 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. How absurd! Unfortunately, Dolby has no control over what any given theater shows or doesn't show, so I would raise holy hell with AMC and the local theater.
Do AMC have a list of future sites ????

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #12 of 79 Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Star Wars was probably booked into a competing theater too close to the Dallas Texas Prime theater, and as a result the prime theater isn't allowed to show it.
post #13 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Caught TFA at the AMC Empire 25 in NYC Monday night and I'm not totally sold on HDR. The blacks were deep, yes, but the night-time scenes and interior shots all had black crush, obscuring detail on costumes and faces. I thought the 3D version I saw on Sunday at another AMC was much better.
post #14 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 963
I would be happy if any cinema here in the UK would do Atmos without the stupid 3D screen. Atmos with 2D seems impossible to find.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #15 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have seen Starwars Force Aweakens in Imax 3D yesterday. 3D was very good. Depth was in many scenes, close ups... Also some pop-up effects too. I want see it in Dolby Vision too but there is no dolby theathers in my country. If i have time i will also planned see it in atmos.

This movie will perfectly take benefit of all atmos,3d,hdr. The content fits all them.
post #16 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
I am absolutely dying for one to be opened here in Philly.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #17 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12477 Post(s)
Liked: 11665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post
Pls let us know what difference HDR makes when watching this film. Can you describe what you are seeing in terms of differneces according to Dolby's new luminance ranges. So, instead of todays luminance ranges of shadows, mid-tones and highlights, Dolby has 6 ranges "per your post": Super Highlights, Highlights, White Range, "Most Typical Objects", Shadow Details, Ultra Blacks. Thx! We are discussing this topic in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post37187674

JJ

in case you havent followed, Scott has been viewing Dolby Vision HDR movies since I believe September and always posts a follow up about the experience and how he thought HDR affected the picture. He's been impressed with every movie regardless of if the movie is his "type".

as for the movie, ive never seen a star wars movie. but i do plan to purchase the 4k HDR blu ray to watch when it comes out. im sure it will look amazing in that format at home as well.
Tom Roper and Carbon Ft Print like this.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #18 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

High-Def digest did a Force Awakens IMAX vs Dolby theater comparison. Good read.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...mc-prime/28452
ray0414 and BAMABLUHD like this.
post #19 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Reserved the best seats in the Dolby Cinema for Jan 2nd at the AMC North Point Mall 12 in Alpharetta GA. I have to say the Dolby Atmos audio is not that bad either for only 64 channels, seats that open into a loveseat to cuddle my gf, recline, vibrate, shake. Nice work AMC!
ray0414 and BAMABLUHD like this.
post #20 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Also very cool the technology for shooting "The Force Awakens," as well Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight," Sam Mendes' "Spectre," Todd Haynes' "Carol," David O. Russell's "Joy," and Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies."

What great cameras, 8k/4k formats were used primarily to shoot these films? ARRI Amira/Alexa? Red Epic Dragon/Weapon? Sony F65/F55, Vision Research Phantom?

No.

What studios have inked deals to use this technology, Disney, Fox, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Warner Brothers?

Yes. All of them inked deals and all the movies above were shot primarily with this technology; Kodak Film.
It's back folks!
post #21 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Tarantino shot The Hateful Eight on 70mm film in Ultra Panavision 70. http://thehatefuleight.com/roadshow Interstingly, it seems Tarantino helped to arrange for 70mm projectors in most of the theaters that will show the Ultra Panavision version. http://www.slashfilm.com/hateful-eight-70mm/

I just found out about this today and confirmed with my local cinema that they will in fact be showing the 70mm print. Pretty awesome.

None of that is to say that I necessarily prefer film to digital or vice versa; whenever an artist is that passionate about his art, you can expect that the look of it will be distinctive and stylish. So I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I wouldn't say it's back - but film isn't quite dead yet... even though it's basically dead for distribution.
BAMABLUHD likes this.
post #22 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked: 3760
I watched Force Awakens in the Dolby Cinema location in Manhattan (NYC)...wow what an experience...the picture was absolutely crystal clear...stunning...and the Atmos audio added another level of immersion...combine that with the recliner seats and plenty of leg room and this is the only theater I will ever go to...plus it has reserved seating so you don't need to wait on line for an hour or more

the only real IMAX theater in Manhattan now only shows IMAX 3D which is disappointing...for movies shot with IMAX cameras I always preferred seeing it in IMAX 2D but it looks like they've taken away that option in a lot of 'real' IMAX locations...good thing for Dolby Cinema...while not as big of a screen I love the overall Dolby experience
helvetica bold and Dabois09 like this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 12-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
post #23 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Tarantino shot The Hateful Eight on 70mm film in Ultra Panavision 70. http://thehatefuleight.com/roadshow Interstingly, it seems Tarantino helped to arrange for 70mm projectors in most of the theaters that will show the Ultra Panavision version. http://www.slashfilm.com/hateful-eight-70mm/

I just found out about this today and confirmed with my local cinema that they will in fact be showing the 70mm print. Pretty awesome.

None of that is to say that I necessarily prefer film to digital or vice versa; whenever an artist is that passionate about his art, you can expect that the look of it will be distinctive and stylish. So I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I wouldn't say it's back - but film isn't quite dead yet... even though it's basically dead for distribution.
Since you're also in Atlanta, could you share which local theater has the projector to properly show the film?

Thanks in advance.
post #24 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
AMC has opened two more Dolby Cinema locations just in time for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was graded in Dolby Vision high dynamic range for Dolby Cinema theaters. The new locations are the AMC Century City 15 in Los Angeles, CA, and the AMC Desert Ridge 18 in Phoenix, AZ, bringing the total number of Dolby Cinemas to 10 in the US and 12 worldwide, with two in the Netherlands. The El Capitan in Hollywood, CA, is also showing the latest installment of the Star Wars saga in Dolby Vision HDR, but it isn't technically a Dolby Cinema because it doesn't have stadium seating and other attributes.

As far as I know, all Dolby Cinemas are showing Star Wars in 2D, while many other venues, including Imax, are showing it in 3D. I've heard that the 3D version isn't all that dramatic, but even if it was, I generally prefer 2D HDR over 3D SDR—HDR has more "pop," and it's a lot brighter than any 3D presentation, even laser-illuminated 3D.

Speaking of which, be aware that Imax and other theaters with laser-illuminated projection (LIP) use the spectrum-separation technique for 3D—that is, slightly different wavelengths of red, green, and blue for each eye with glasses that filter out one set of wavelengths for one eye and the other set for the other eye. If you wear prescription glasses like I do, there are significant reflections between the inner surface of the 3D glasses and the outer surface of prescription glasses, causing a distracting halo effect. Non-LIP Imax and other 3D theaters use polarization for 3D, which doesn't seem to cause the halo effect, but the image is very dim—typically only 25% as bright as a 2D presentation in the same theater.

I've got my ticket for Star Wars on Tuesday, December 22, at the AMC Burbank 16 Dolby Cinema, and of course, I'll share my experience right here on AVS Forum. If you haven't seen it yet—or even if you have seen it in a conventional theater—I encourage you to make the trip to one of the Dolby Cinema locations; for a complete list of current and upcoming locations, as well as other theaters with laser-illuminated projection, click here. I have little doubt it will look spectacular in Dolby Vision HDR.
So funny, I am also going today at Burbank 16, not sure if the same showing. If I see you, I may introduce myself, so don't creep out! LOL.

This will be my first experience in Dolby Vision/Atmos, since it wasn't available where I used to live (well, Atmos was) so I'm ready to be impressed. So disappointing the IMAX was showing 3D only.

Looking forward to your review and see how it compares to my experience since we are basically going to the same theater.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HC-1 MK2 | Pioneer SP-BS22
post #25 of 79 Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post
Since you're also in Atlanta, could you share which local theater has the projector to properly show the film?

Thanks in advance.
Regal at Atlantic Station. The listings for the Ultra Panavision screenings are noted "70mm" at the websites or app you might use to buy tickets. Also, click the first link in my post from earlier to see theaters all across the country (like Birmingham).

Edit: Roll Tide!
BAMABLUHD likes this.
post #26 of 79 Old 12-23-2015, 01:05 AM

Liked: 10
I went on AMC 16 Burbank DEC 22nd 12noon. 😊 I was almost dead center f12-f14. I've somehow read here before that G'center' was the sweet spot.

Caveat, I watch in theaters maybe once a year. My first time on Dolby Cinema. So here's my nooby audiovideophile slash 7yr wedding photog nitpicky impression. Picture - Contrast ratio - there were certainly alot better than most theaters but I have an 65ST60 Pana and the highlights are brighter and the whites "shinier"on my plasma. Am I right to assume that Plasma and OLEDs perform better?

During the first part, there were three small ships, flying through the blackness of space and stars. I couldn't see the detail on the ships except for the outline and lights. They might be too small. It might be the source and is intended Im not sure. Aside from that I didn't see any problems with shadow detail. Mostly during the space sequence I think.

There were quick instances that seem soft or out focus. It could be DOF or the projector being out focus or Im just not used to the big screen.

Sound - yeah it does envelop you. It is very subtle, which is fantastic. Dialogue wasn't overwhelming which is awesome. Bass was there and not forced. Im not sure if its the subs or transducers but I like it when I feel it. I wish I could hear more directional sounds coming from behind me. Maybe Im reclined too much?

Overall, It was an amazing experience. I'm never going to watch any movie from any other theater from now on. The reserved seating was a really great bonus. Im excited to read about your experiences.
post #27 of 79 Old 12-23-2015, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11
Sweet thanks for the heads up!

BENQ Projector 155 Inch DIY Painted Wall Screen/ I need to upgrade!!! Got any deals?
Gun T-shirt tech at My Gun Tees & Top Choice Decals
post #28 of 79 Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is a really awesome article about how they shot Force Awakens.
Dan Mindel is a great DP and it explains JJ wanted a 1970s-soft look.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2015/12/p...dp-dan-mindel/
skoolpsyk, EvLee and Ph8te like this.
post #29 of 79 Old 12-23-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thumbs down Theater locations

I look forward to trying dolby cinema. Not sure why LA now has 3 theaters while San Francisco/Bay Area and San Diego have none
post #30 of 79 Old 12-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The AMC Garden State 16, in Paramus, New Jersey, is advertising that Dolby Cinema is coming soon to that location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
dolby cinema , dolby vision

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page