121Likes

post #1 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
The Future of DTS

I saw an interesting article at TWICE today entitled "How DTS Envisions Its Future." In it, DTS Chairman/CEO Jon Kirchner is cited as saying the company's future growth will come from products using its Play-Fi wireless-multiroom system, the increasing use of HD Radio in cars, and mobile devices with DTS audio technology. By contrast, revenues from home A/V products, game consoles, and Blu-ray players and discs are declining.

In one quote, Kirchner says that in 2015, "we experienced greater than expected softness in Blu-ray and home A/V. These markets are in long-term decline. However, a delay in transition to next-generation [DTS:X] technology has also negatively impacted these markets last year."

Speaking of which, several major studios have committed to releasing Ultra HD Blu-ray titles with DTS:X soundtracks, and several Blu-ray discs are now available with the company's immersive format, including Ex Machina, American Ultra, and The Last Witch Hunter. In addition, DTS says there will be more than 60 DTS:X-capable AVRs, pre/pros, and even soundbars from many different brands by the end of 2016, though there are few in the market yet.

Deployment of DTS:X in commercial cinemas has been fairly slow as well, with 12 movies released in 2015. (By contrast, there were 49 titles released with Dolby Atmos last year.) Four titles have been released in China this year, and six Hollywood films are scheduled to have DTS:X soundtracks so far. But where can these soundtracks be heard? Kirchner says there are more than 70 screens that feature or are committed to feature DTS:X—a very small number compared to Dolby Atmos, which is now or soon to be available in over 1600 commercial-cinema rooms worldwide.

With such a late start, can DTS:X catch up with Dolby Atmos in commercial cinemas and home theaters? Will the dominance of DTS-HD Master Audio on Blu-ray help DTS:X become common on Ultra HD Blu-ray discs? Only time will tell, but if the revenues from home A/V and Blu-ray continue to decline, it seems the company has an uphill battle on its hands unless other parts of its business can take up the slack.

For example, Play-Fi is one area of expected growth, even after several manufacturers pushed back the release date of their compatible products due to technical issues. According to DTS, Klipsch and Rotel have "selected Play-Fi to be their wireless solution," and Dish Network is working on integrating the technology into its Hopper DVR with a Dish Music app that turns the Hopper into a Play-Fi music zone.

But can Play-Fi catch up to the likes of Sonos and the myriad "Sonos-like substances" as my friend and industry consultant Mike Heiss calls similar systems? Granted, unlike Sonos and many of the other "substances," Play-Fi is not manufacturer-specific and could be implemented in products from a wide range of companies, which is a definite advantage. But is it too little too late? As my wife's grandmother used to say, if you live a little longer, you'll find out.

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 03-07-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I really want to experience DTS:X can somebody wake me up when my Denon AVR-S910W gets the update I was promised.
post #3 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 582
The declining market they mention is no surprise
if we keep going at this rate I wonder what the expectation of disc sales are going to be?

meanwhile...streaming is growing every year with codecs that can use an old school optical/coaxial cable for audio and the masses seem just fine with the audio quality

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Meanwhile, the old Digital Theater Systems, Inc lumbers along....DTS Digital Cinema being sold to Beaufort International Group Plc and being renamed Datasat Digital Entertainment, really took the wind out of DTS's sails in the commercial exhibition industry. Between Dolby Atmos and Barco Auro-3D, here is not much left for DTS:X in the commercial arena, as most owners have been adding Atmos or Auro to their theaters. DTS may pull off some :X for the home crowd, I don't see them expanding at any significant rate at the commercial level. Streaming and downloadable content is starting to rip into DTS sales, as their bread and butter has been DVD/Blu-Ray for years.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #5 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
DTS was the standard audiophiles loved and now we may be seeing it go the way of the Dodo. What I wonder is how many of us HT viewers have adopted Atmos or Auro? Would like to see a poll on users upgrading. I my self will not be going to the new format as I have heard Atmos in the theater and am not impressed. It does add a little to the environment. But getting the WAF to add speakers to the ceiling is out of the question. Went from Pro Logic to 5.1 then 7.1 was a big expense. Now they want me to buy a new receiver and 4 more speakers? No thanks. I've spent enough on this hobby.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #6 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crowley View Post
DTS was the standard audiophiles loved and now we may be seeing it go the way of the Dodo. What I wonder is how many of us HT viewers have adopted Atmos or Auro? Would like to see a poll on users upgrading. I my self will not be going to the new format as I have heard Atmos in the theater and am not impressed. It does add a little to the environment. But getting the WAF to add speakers to the ceiling is out of the question. Went from Pro Logic to 5.1 then 7.1 was a big expense. Now they want me to buy a new receiver and 4 more speakers? No thanks. I've spent enough on this hobby.
I've add Dolby Atmos even with so few titles being offered. Many films have a great Atmos soundtrack in theaters but few have been added to Blu-rays.
post #7 of 77 Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Too bad that your Atmos experience has been anything but (an experience).

I first heard Atmos at CEDIA 2014 and immediately was blown away. Most of the time in movie theaters it has been hit or miss. My first movie was Brave at the El Capitan in Hollywood. It was a great experience, then flash forward to December 2015, I took the family to our closest large screen cinema with Atmos (about an hour drive away) to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens... The audio as a whole was a let-down, and it was playing in Atmos.

When done right, Atmos really is amazing, but it is a hard sell for some. I just received my new receiver (Anthem MRX-1120) which certainly isn't a cheap 7.1.4 receiver with Atmos (and DTS:X coming at some point), and my custom finish ceiling speakers should be here in about 10-12 days. I am super excited about giving this a whirl in my home, but again, your experience hasn't been good at all, so I can completely understand your lack of enthusiasm. Let me just say this... It is the implementation, not the technology, that has failed you. It *really* does work when done right.

So kick back and enjoy your 7.1 setup. If you like it, that is what counts.
post #8 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3189 Post(s)
Liked: 3829
Quote:
True, I think we have all spent enough on this hobby However, if you ever make it over to San Antonio from Houston, I would be happy to demo Atmos for you.
Steve Crowley likes this.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers.....you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers - Billy Joel
post #9 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
True, I think we have all spent enough on this hobby However, if you ever make it over to San Antonio from Houston, I would be happy to demo Atmos for you.
Thanks for the invite. You meet the nicest people here, if you have a turntable I have a quad album and a Maxell jazz sampler I got when I bought my Heresy's from Listen Up in Denver. Will let you know next time the road calls.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #10 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Deployment of DTS:X in commercial cinemas has been fairly slow as well, with 12 movies released in 2015. (By contrast, there were 49 titles released with Dolby Atmos last year.) Four titles have been released in China this year, and six Hollywood films are scheduled to have DTS:X soundtracks so far. But where can these soundtracks be heard? Kirchner says there are more than 70 screens that feature or are committed to feature DTS:X—a very small number compared to Dolby Atmos, which is now or soon to be available in over 1600 commercial-cinema rooms worldwide.

With such a late start, can DTS:X catch up with Dolby Atmos in commercial cinemas and home theaters?
Scott,

Do you know if the current cinema Atmos equipment is DTS:X capable via firmware updates like the home market? If it is, then I would suspect to see DTS:X market penetration fairly quickly. However, if that is not the case, I doubt cinemas are going to foot the bill to add DTS:X processing with little to no ROI since there is so little content right now, which will further Dolby's market lead. I always support competition because the consumer always benefits, but Dolby may be too far in front for DTS to catch them this round.

Quote:
Thanks for the invite. You meet the nicest people here, if you have a turntable I have a quad album and a Maxell jazz sampler I got when I bought my Heresy's from Listen Up in Denver. Will let you know next time the road calls.
No turntable, but a three hour drive to hear that Klipsh goodness in your signature is definitely worthwhile. The wife and I love road trips

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers.....you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers - Billy Joel

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 03-08-2016 at 04:47 AM.
post #11 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
I'm excited to read about these 60 2016 DTS:X + Atmos receivers and processors they are talking about.

2015 models that were affordable were usually only 5.1.2 channels which is a complete ripoff, and not only that none of them had full pre-outs.

I guess that seems like complaining that the food is bad but the portions were too small? hehe

Hopefully we'll see some DTS:X AVRs with full preouts or at least affordable (sub 1k) processors. I'm not holding my breath but any improvement or price drop would be better than last year's offerings.
post #12 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2974
Quote:

I agree on this statement "DTS was the standard audiophiles loved and now we may be seeing it go the way of the Dodo".

In the laser disk days, DTS was the way to go.
Now a day with lossless, a lot less important, but that said, everything now is about convenience and Not sound quality

I am glad when I see younger people trying to get into our Hobby, but money talk.
The days of perfect sound are dying.

Ray
post #13 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
This is turning out to be classic business story- how gates once showed the "Windows" to world before apple could get Macintosh out..and captured software market and rest is history. Dolby atmos coming out early and implemented all around us, having titles available for home crowds has created positive feedback loop that DTS:X will have hard time claiming that market back. Even if it ends up being better object based audio codec and have leniency with speaker placement
oneeyeblind likes this.

Yamaha RX-3050 5.2.4 JBL studio 1 (front, center, sorround) Tannoy Di8 DC (four on ceiling ATMOS)
Google NSZ-GT1 player
EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 3010
post #14 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:

I'm with you Steve. That's why I have passed on 4K. And it's why I have passed on Dolby Atmos. I have have spent enough on this hobby over the last 4 years to the point where I am now more then satisfied with my setup and am not going to do anymore upgrades for the forseeable future.
TheGigaShadow likes this.
post #15 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
With Scott saying "By contrast, revenues from home A/V products, game consoles, and Blu-ray players and discs are declining. it dont look good for DTS.
post #16 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
I'd say DTS is not backing away, rather they are assessing the trends of physical media slowly dying and digital ramping up, and positioning their product offerings for that.
Probably they were too open and honest with their future strategy.

Gigabit internet is coming, there I said it.
I'm talking full 125MB/s speeds, that's a game changer for sure.
Further, it's here in some markets, now.

The concept of streaming lagging in quality will soon go the way of the do-do.
2020, 2022? That's not that far away.

Full lossless streaming? Premium possibly, then mainstream later.
thehun and oneeyeblind like this.
post #17 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I believe that DTS-X needs the equivalent of a "killer app" to demonstrate why people should upgrade to it. The current crop of movies with DTS-X soundtracks leaves much to be desired because IMHO, most of them are not the type of movies that have the potential to showcase sound effects. Ex Machina and The Big Short are not going to have the wow factor that more action oriented movies could have. I always preferred DTS over Dolby soundtracks, but Atmos seems to have grabbed the baton from DTS-X. At least for now!

Is there a list of movies releasing on BluRay this year with DTS-X soundtracks?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Cal68
post #18 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Certainly count me in as pretty nervous about the direction of DTS. As irony would have it, I just listened to 2 old school DTS demo discs and remembered that it was DTS's great robust sound that sold me back then in finding a receiver that was DTS capable, to replace my Dolby Digital only receiver (1998ish). I would like to see DTS continue to focus on us as enthusiasts of HT and multichannel surround sound in movies and home applications, but the reality is that DTS really did market to the audiophile or a replica of the same.

Years ago I was a true audiophile and still continue to believe that I am, but I recall when I set up HTs for family and friends; I spelled out and provided listening demonstrations of the differences between Dolby Digital and DTS. Regardless of how I was able to point out and describe the differences between the clarity and more robust bass applications of DTS in comparison to DD, those family members, and friends still simply maintain the default on DVDs which was DD when the DVD had two listening options. Dolby has done an excellent job in marketing since the days of noise reduction as oppose to DTS, who depended on the true listener like us. As you know you cannot continue to do the same thing if you want to reach the masses. Dolby got it right with Dolby Atmos, and even though I have not experienced it yet since the nearest Dolby Atmos theater for me (Hampton Roads area Virginia) is two and a half hours away north in DC, the word clearly got out more efficiently than DTS-X. Don’t get me wrong, I love Dolby True HD and I recall some issues with some receivers in the past where it passed it through as DTS. So I am not a Dolby hater.

This begs the question, is this generation really tuned into sound as strongly as they are for video HD Content? We have 4k TV’s and yes our Blu-Ray discs come in the various sound formats that include DTS-HD 7.1 but are they listening. Here we have the push in sound bars with a sub-woofer to provide "theater like sound". I hope I do not offend those who use a sound bar and sub, but I can see why DTS is having difficulties in one area and seeking out areas to compensate. I don't know how DTS made it so long other than listeners like us to keep it needed.

KAHN: Stay or go..., but do it because it what you wish to do

Last edited by ROMEO 1; 03-08-2016 at 12:23 PM.
post #19 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I'd say DTS is not backing away, rather they are assessing the trends of physical media slowly dying and digital ramping up, and positioning their product offerings for that.

The concept of streaming lagging in quality will soon go the way of the do-do.
2020, 2022? That's not that far away.

Full lossless streaming? Premium possibly, then mainstream later.
Sorry, but I am fairly certain that isn't going to happen. Gig Internet might see some very, very select and very small markets. If you are on Google, FIOS, or u-verse then 4k streaming will be in your future. For those on copper, which is most, widespread 4k streaming isn't going to happen. Sure 15mb sustainable speeds are fine for the few 4k TVs and media out there now, but as the TV manufactures start to phase out 1080p sets with 4k units the demand for 4k content is going to climb. As Walmart shelves empty of 4k TVs in the next two to three years, a major elephant is going to try to go down a garden hose. The majority of ISP networks in the US cannot support it. The likely scenario is once these streams start hitting the providers they will follow suit with Comcast and start capping data throughput. After one or two 4k movies, you will be in overage territory and that movie will get very expensive to watch. I have been in the service provider and telecom industry as a network engineer for nearly 20 years. The infrastructure will not support widespread adoption of 4k streaming. The cable companies currently can only support a highly compressed 720p stream right now. Sending thousands and thousands of 4k stream over that already taxed network is not going to happen. I foresee 4k and higher driving people back to physical media, not streaming.

Just my prediction from someone working on the other side of the fence.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 03-08-2016 at 01:21 PM.
post #20 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Sending thousands and thousands of 4k stream over that already taxed network is not going to happen. I foresee 4k and higher driving people back to physical media, not streaming.

Just my prediction from someone working on the other side of the fence.
Thanks for sharing, I have always wondered how that would unfold. Would this be true for fiber-optic

KAHN: Stay or go..., but do it because it what you wish to do

Last edited by ROMEO 1; 03-08-2016 at 01:26 PM.
post #21 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMEO 1 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I have always wondered how that would unfold. Would this be true for fiber-optic

Quote:
If you are on Google, FIOS, or u-verse then 4k streaming will be in your future. For those on copper, which is most, widespread 4k streaming isn't going to happen.
post #22 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMEO 1 View Post
People who are fortunate enough to be in a market with 100% fiber from carrier core to customer edge will not have any issues i.e. Google, U-verse, and FIOS (there may be other local providers but those are three major players). However, keep in mind many people think they are on fiber because Time Warner ran fiber to their house. Cable companies aren't putting copper in the ground anymore so most homes will have fiber coming into them. That doesn't mean there isn't copper on the path upstream, most instances there is. If there is copper in the path, there is a bottleneck that simply can't handle the potential load of widespread 4k streaming. It will take decades to replace the tens of thousands of miles of copper in the ground with fiber. It is very expensive, has a mountain of zoning/paperwork, and is a very slow process.

Don't forget that telecom margins are shrinking, not rising so they really are not in a big hurry to fund these initiatives. Couple in the fact that the core routing infrastructure must also be upgraded to handle the additional load. Backbone carrier class core routers from Juniper, Cisco, etc is major $$$$. Dense populations will go first since their is a ROI but most suburbs across America will be a very slow roll unless it is a newer subdivision. This doesn't mean the end of Netflix/Amazon etc because most people watch TV shows and older movies which won't be 4k.

I only added my comments because everyone mentions the fact that physical media sales are declining due to streaming - which is true. Then they overlay that trend to 4k media which on the surface makes sense; however, going from 720/1080p compressed images to jaw dropping 4k resolution over antiquated copper that was intended for 480i when it was put in the ground decades ago becomes very problematic. Better codecs will help as it has up to this point, but you can only shrink an elephant so much. I see this as a huge problem from a capacity standpoint for most ISP/telecom providers with a lot of 4k owners wanting to stream content for their new TVs. Only time will tell, but I am hedging my bets that 4k will bring back physical media and rental companies to provide the demand. It will be the cheapest and most viable form of 4k content delivery.

I am sure some will disagree, and that is fine. I am just giving my view of the landscape from the provider/"cloud" side of things from what I have seen in my career.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 03-09-2016 at 01:19 PM.
post #23 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Scott,

Do you know if the current cinema Atmos equipment is DTS:X capable via firmware updates like the home market? If it is, then I would suspect to see DTS:X market penetration fairly quickly. However, if that is not the case, I doubt cinemas are going to foot the bill to add DTS:X processing with little to no ROI since there is so little content right now, which will further Dolby's market lead. I always support competition because the consumer always benefits, but Dolby may be too far in front for DTS to catch them this round.
Definitely not the case. Dolby Atmos in cinemas is rendered by Dolby hardware (the Dolby CP850), and Dolby certainly has no incentive to change anything to support DTS:X.

DTS is taking a different tack in cinema anyway - there is a SMPTE effort to standardize immersive audio, so that a single, immersive mix can be played back on a variety of compliant systems (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auromax, and any others that care to compete). DTS is hoping that SMPTE will adopt their MDA file format (or some variation on it) and then license DTS:X decoding to hardware manufacturers to support playback of this generic bitstream on DTS:X - compliant equipment.

Meanwhile, Atmos is essentially a de facto standard at this point, with hundreds of cinemas, hundreds of movies, and dozens of dubbing stages around the world.

Quote:

Unfortunately for DTS, Dolby is eating their lunch in the streaming markets as well, as they have Dolby Digital Plus already supporting Atmos and AC-4 waiting in the wings for broadcast UHD-TV. Meanwhile DTS has...HD-Radio.
post #24 of 77 Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not going to disagree. 4K/UHD will kill the torrent market too. Was discussing this with friends online tonight that we talking about torrents and ripping movies. I basically said, enjoy the 720p rips of Game of Thrones because you're not getting 4K rips for any of it. torrenting a 4K movie is an easy way to chew through your monthly bandwidth allotment. At 70 - 100GB per movie, you will melt your router seeding those files.

Eventually, we'll get to a point like Molon_Labe says where Google Fiber et. al. will have enough cable in the ground where the sheer size of 4K isn't a problem but given the political climate in the US and the profit motive of the telcos it is not likely going to happen soon. Considering the Telecommunications Act of 1996 provisioned $200B in pork for network infrastructure build outs that were handed to the shareholders and never invested in infrastructure, it'll be a long time before the US government does that again.

I too believe that 4K will drive physical media sales. The problem lies in getting your local Family Video to actually start carrying the discs. Mine is telling me that they have no plans. I'm hoping Netflix comes through with a plan or I'll have to look elsewhere.

As to the original topic, I've installed Atmos. Love it. Some movies really use the speakers and it makes a difference. (Mad Max, San Andreas...) I wish more would come out but the trend seems to be to release Atmos with the UHD disc and or on a premium Blu-Ray. Don't even get me started with leaving Atmos off the rental disc. That's just a dick move by the studios. Sad to see DTS:X go because competition is a good thing but I can't honestly say I wasn't anticipating it much. Atmos works great.
Steve Crowley and Molon_Labe like this.
post #25 of 77 Old 03-09-2016, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Definitely not the case. Dolby Atmos in cinemas is rendered by Dolby hardware (the Dolby CP850), and Dolby certainly has no incentive to change anything to support DTS:X.

DTS is taking a different tack in cinema anyway - there is a SMPTE effort to standardize immersive audio, so that a single, immersive mix can be played back on a variety of compliant systems (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auromax, and any others that care to compete). DTS is hoping that SMPTE will adopt their MDA file format (or some variation on it) and then license DTS:X decoding to hardware manufacturers to support playback of this generic bitstream on DTS:X - compliant equipment.
Thanks for the clarification to my question. With that said, I think it might be game over for DTS:X.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 03-09-2016 at 08:33 AM.
post #26 of 77 Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Hopefully we'll see some DTS:X AVRs with full preouts or at least affordable (sub 1k) processors. I'm not holding my breath but any improvement or price drop would be better than last year's offerings.
If you're OK with a 9ch implementation the Denon X4200W and its cousin the Marantz SR6010 have full pre-outs, can do 7.1.2/5.1.4 processing and can be had for around $1k or less (good deal street price or refurb).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #27 of 77 Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked: 5938
Quote:
Right, an audio technology company decides to diversify to take advantage of consumer trends like streaming and car audio. Is that such a bad thing? If not, why is this thread reading like a eulogy?
thehun and smurraybhm like this.

Sanjay
post #28 of 77 Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
The Future of DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Right, an audio technology company decides to diversify to take advantage of consumer trends like streaming and car audio. Is that such a bad thing? If not, why is this thread reading like a eulogy?

Star Trek VI, "people can be very frightened of change"

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
sdurani, thehun and Steve Crowley like this.
post #29 of 77 Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
It's because (as you are so fond of observing) DTS has something no other codec ever had: a fan base. We're used to thinking of DTS as the company that rocked the world of film exhibition, bringing 5.1 digital surround sound to moviegoers worldwide, and playing David to Dolby's Goliath.

The quote from DTS's CEO in the TWICE article reads a little as though the CEO of a beloved sports car company started talking about "reducing our exposure to our legacy business" and touting the strong growth in the motor scooter and golf cart markets.
post #30 of 77 Old 03-10-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
The quote from DTS's CEO in the TWICE article reads a little as though the CEO of a beloved sports car company started talking about "reducing our exposure to our legacy business" and touting the strong growth in the motor scooter and golf cart markets.

The low-bitrate|streaming 'variant' of the DTS:X codec--like Dolby AC-4, and MPEG-H 3D Audio--is aimed at generating a licence fee from every new cellphone, tablet, and smart TV "from now until the end of time" . . . which certainly seems like something DTS might reasonably want to do...?!

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Dts , dts x , play-fi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page