DirecTV to Begin UHD Broadcasting Next Month - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #31 of 86 Old 03-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
I have an HR 44 and 4K Genie minis. I have the Elite programming package and it works fine. Somewhere else in this thread someone said that you do not need an HR 54. Calling Directv.
Just got off the phone with Directv. 2nd rep told me that the HR 54 is required for NEW customers to get 4K. Existing customers with HR44s and C61 4K mini Genies can get 4K just fine. I thought this was the case as I have an HR 44 and 2 C61 minis feeding 2 4K TVs. You have to have the Ultimate or Premier package to get 4K. The difference between the 2 packages is that Premier has all the movie channels. Ultimate just has Showtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Just got off the phone with Directv. 2nd rep told me that the HR 54 is required for NEW customers to get 4K. Existing customers with HR44s and C61 4K mini Genies can get 4K just fine. I thought this was the case as I have an HR 44 and 2 C61 minis feeding 2 4K TVs. You have to have the Ultimate or Premier package to get 4K. The difference between the 2 packages is that Premier has all the movie channels. Ultimate just has Showtime.
I would that info with a grain of salt as the website says the HR54 is required.
post #33 of 86 Old 03-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
I would that info with a grain of salt as the website says the HR54 is required.
Well my setup is working fine. It would make sense that new customers would have to get an HR54. Maybe the website isn't clear as to who needs the 54. The 54 would feed 4K to a new 4K TV. The 44 I have only does 1080 to my 1080 TV, but with 2 C61s it works fine. It seems the 44 does the recording, while the C61s do the decoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 86 Old 03-16-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DirecTV to Begin UHD Broadcasting Next Month

Quote:
Well my setup is working fine. It would make sense that new customers would have to get an HR54. Maybe the website isn't clear as to who needs the 54. The 54 would feed 4K to a new 4K TV. The 44 I have only does 1080 to my 1080 TV, but with 2 C61s it works fine. It seems the 44 does the recording, while the C61s do the decoding.

Sure it's working now but who knows if your 44 will be able to see the new channels or deliver the 4K content once the new channels activated.
Me personally, I would rather make sure I'm setup exactly how the documented requirements specify rather than taking the word of a CSR who chances are hasn't been informed correctly.
Carter D likes this.
post #35 of 86 Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sure it's working now but who knows if your 44 will be able to see the new channels or deliver the 4K content once the new channels activated.
Me personally, I would rather make sure I'm setup exactly how the documented requirements specify rather than taking the word of a CSR who chances are hasn't been informed correctly.
Great advice TM. I think what I'll do is wait until April when the 4K channel is supposed to appear. If it doesn't come thru, then I'll upgrade to the HR 54. I will still be able to watch golf in 1080 if the new channel doesn't appear. You are absolutely correct about the knowledge of the CRS at DTV. The only time I've ever gotten accurate info was by going up at least 2 levels of tech support, which I may yet try. Thanks again very much.
Carter
post #36 of 86 Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Well my setup is working fine.
My previous understanding was that the linear 4K is a different animal than the PPV they've had since middle of last year. The wording in the article here made me question my understanding, but my guess is I'll have to get a HR54. I'm pretty sure there is a test channel that might confirm this, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I'm fine with waiting for the dust to settle, but also don't care to miss an event in 4K that I really care about (my hope is we'll have a lot of Olympics coverage in 4K like they had in 3D the last time around). And it isn't like with the techs around here I'll be able to plan on a quick install.
Carter D likes this.

Matt
post #37 of 86 Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone heard anything about when 4K programming will be coming to Dish?
post #38 of 86 Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Update to post # 25.

D* tech came and installed new equipment. Ch. 1102 the 4K channel didn't work. He first blamed the TV I had and then after calling someone said my TV was 60 hz and the D* signal was 120 hz, that's why it didn't work and he left.

I checked his work and found that he had it connected all wrong. He simply connected it to the cable coming out of the wall by using a splitter and connected the 2nd tv in the room,the plasma 1080i to the mini-geni. I reconnected everything the correct way line from mini genie to 4Ktv. Still no 4K picture.

Called D 4K tech support (yes they do have 4K people) who was incapable of even seeing if D* was broadcasting a 4K signal at that time (they didn't have a 4K TV to check and no other way). 50 minutes wasted.

Had to fight to get a supervisor who did a number of things on her end to get it to work but no success. She said it may take up to 24 hours to work. She also said she cancelled an afternoon appointment that someone set up for me without telling me. Tech just called and said he'd be here in 30 minutes. So much for the cancellation. to be continued......
post #39 of 86 Old 03-18-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
I have an HR 44 and 4K Genie minis. I have the Elite programming package and it works fine. Somewhere else in this thread someone said that you do not need an HR 54. Calling Directv.

For the new linear 4K channels you will need a HR54. That is what their webpage states and also what I was told when I called. I was just upgraded his morning for free. Painless and I am getting the 9800 4K test channel.

42" in the dining room. 50" in the bedroom. 86" in the living room. 65" in the family room. 70" in the family room. 106" in the family room "This is the voice of world control" Video Modes:EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K HDR
post #40 of 86 Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post
For the new linear 4K channels you will need a HR54. That is what their webpage states and also what I was told when I called. I was just upgraded his morning for free. Painless and I am getting the 9800 4K test channel.
Thanks Star. On your sage advice I have a 54 coming next Wednesday. I want to be certain that I am totally ready. DTV rep said that the 4K dedicated channels start at 104. Can't get the 9800 4K test channel now, but hopefully next Wednesday when the 54 is installed. I tried inputting channel 9800, but no luck, yet. 104 and up channels won't be activated until April 1st. The only 3 drawbacks that I can see on the 54 are no phone jack for caller id, and no analog LR out, and only a 1 TB hard drive. But I can get an 8 dollar AV cable which has component and analog LR out, but I'm going to use the DAC I have using coax out to the DAC and LR out to my Yamaha 3050 for second zone. I can get an inexpensive 3 TB external HD eSata as an add on for more storage. I found out it doesn't add space, it replaces the 1 TB internal with 3TB. Thanks a million for your help. What does linear mean for the new 4K channels?
post #41 of 86 Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Thanks Star....The only 3 drawbacks that I can see on the 54 are no phone jack for caller id, and no analog LR out, and only a 1 TB hard drive
What you still use land lines? A 19th century technology? Get a cell phone...sorry couldn't resist.
post #42 of 86 Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post
An HR54 is required. Why? Because it has two additional tuners for transponder bonding for 4K as DirecTV has developed a way to combine transponders to make one giant data pool to fit additional 4k channels in and make the most out of the transponder bandwidth, as it's more efficient this way.

An HR44 or below does not have the additional tuners built in so transponder bonding won't work.

Also, be aware that a future LNB upgrade will be required as a part of the 4k plan is to use reverse band frequency's for 4k. They are using uplink frequencies as downlink frequency's. The national rollout of this is to begin in April. You will need a new reverse band LNB wich combines the normal KU/KA band frequencies with reverse band KA frequencies.
post #43 of 86 Old 03-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 View Post
An HR54 is required. Why? Because it has two additional tuners for transponder bonding for 4K as DirecTV has developed a way to combine transponders to make one giant data pool to fit additional 4k channels in and make the most out of the transponder bandwidth, as it's more efficient this way.

An HR44 or below does not have the additional tuners built in so transponder bonding won't work.

Also, be aware that a future LNB upgrade will be required as a part of the 4k plan is to use reverse band frequency's for 4k. They are using uplink frequencies as downlink frequency's. The national rollout of this is to begin in April. You will need a new reverse band LNB wich combines the normal KU/KA band frequencies with reverse band KA frequencies.
Thanks Goalie, that's some very useful information that I have as yet been unable to get from DTV, particularly the part about a new LNB requirement. I'll ask the tech when he's here on Wednesday. Thanks a million for your help.
post #44 of 86 Old 03-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Goalie, that's some very useful information that I have as yet been unable to get from DTV, particularly the part about a new LNB requirement. I'll ask the tech when he's here on Wednesday. Thanks a million for your help.
post #45 of 86 Old 03-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
What you still use land lines? A 19th century technology? Get a cell phone...sorry couldn't resist.
Haha Lost. My kids don't have landlines.
post #46 of 86 Old 03-19-2016, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1ss View Post
Update to post # 25.

D* tech came and installed new equipment. Ch. 1102 the 4K channel didn't work. He first blamed the TV I had and then after calling someone said my TV was 60 hz and the D* signal was 120 hz, that's why it didn't work and he left.

I checked his work and found that he had it connected all wrong. He simply connected it to the cable coming out of the wall by using a splitter and connected the 2nd tv in the room,the plasma 1080i to the mini-geni. I reconnected everything the correct way line from mini genie to 4Ktv. Still no 4K picture.

Called D 4K tech support (yes they do have 4K people) who was incapable of even seeing if D* was broadcasting a 4K signal at that time (they didn't have a 4K TV to check and no other way). 50 minutes wasted.

Had to fight to get a supervisor who did a number of things on her end to get it to work but no success. She said it may take up to 24 hours to work. She also said she cancelled an afternoon appointment that someone set up for me without telling me. Tech just called and said he'd be here in 30 minutes. So much for the cancellation. to be continued......
So how did you make out Impala?
post #47 of 86 Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well I expect them to come out and replace my LNBs free of charge as I committed to this new 2 year contract on the basis of having all the required equipment to receive any and all 4K content.
post #48 of 86 Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Some techs may have it, it's being released limitedly now, but next month the new reverse band LNB's are supposed to go national.
post #49 of 86 Old 03-20-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
this week, DirecTV will launch its 4K channel by broadcasting the Masters Tournament golf classic from Augusta National Golf Club April 7-10, 2016.

post #50 of 86 Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5708 Post(s)
Liked: 5552
Glad they chose to just skip right over consistent 1080P. Other than movie channels, I haven't seen my STB flash to 1080P on anything else since I got it. I'm about to join the millennials and cut the cord, this is stupid.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #51 of 86 Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Great information (this should have been in the original article here).

So let me get this straight. It was almost impossible to upgrade from an HR-34 to a HR-44. The only reason I got a HR-44 last August was because my HR-34 had a specific issue that prevented it from working for 4K PPV with the new Genie 4K Mini I got.

So now they are just going to let me go to a HR-54 if I just ask (if I tell them I want linear 4K)?

I guess the difference is that the HR-34 was supposed to work with 4K PPV...

I hope people will continue to post stories here about getting a HR-54 and the new LNB when it is released. DirecTV is definitely hit and miss with cutting edge tech like this. I don't know why they don't just assign specific installers to this type of stuff. Its going to be their top dollar locked in customers anyway.

Matt
post #52 of 86 Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Update to post # 38.

The second tech came out even though I was told he was cancelled and I'm glad he did - he actually understood 4K. He checked to see if everthing was OK and it was. With the 4k tv turned on there was an excellent picture and I could play the documentaries listed on CH. 1102; they were recorded on the HR54. I can only record them from the 4K tv because my 1080 DLP gets a message on screen that says I can't record (or see) 4K content because the TV is not a 4K tv. Actually my 4K tv says the same thing.

My problem now is I can only view them in 1080p, not 4k. It seems that even though my tv is 4k it is not an approved "UHD tv". Also when I watch the 4K shows I get a lot of judder. In checking my tv I find that I am receiving 4k programs in 1080p, 24hz, not 60hz as the incoming signal is. I haven't called Dtv yet but wonder if anyone can explain this?My tv is a 60hz tv, and has an HDMI 2.0 input (HDMI 3 on my tv.)

Just more trouble.
post #53 of 86 Old 03-21-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1ss View Post
My problem now is I can only view them in 1080p, not 4k. It seems that even though my tv is 4k it is not an approved "UHD tv". Also when I watch the 4K shows I get a lot of judder. In checking my tv I find that I am receiving 4k programs in 1080p, 24hz, not 60hz as the incoming signal is. I haven't called Dtv yet but wonder if anyone can explain this?My tv is a 60hz tv, and has an HDMI 2.0 input (HDMI 3 on my tv.)
You imply there is a list of "approved" UHD TVs, but there is not. There are specific requirements your TV has to pass for DirecTV to send a 4K signal and there is nothing proprietary about them. Does your TV support HDCP 2.2?

Edit: looking back on your original post, you have a Seiki, which I doubt meets requirements.

Matt
post #54 of 86 Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some techs may have it, it's being released limitedly now, but next month the new reverse band LNB's are supposed to go national.
Hey Goalie, do know the HDMI specs for the HR54 and the C61 mini? I'm hoping for at least 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 on both. Tech coming tomorrow to install the 54 and hopefully he has the new LNBs. If only 2.0 then it would seem no HDR. Thanks for your help.
Carter
post #55 of 86 Old 03-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One more question Goalie, I just checked my display resolution with DTV 4K and its 24HZ from a C61, Is it working correctly? Shouldn't it be 60HZ?
post #56 of 86 Old 03-22-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
One more question Goalie, I just checked my display resolution with DTV 4K and its 24HZ from a C61, Is it working correctly? Shouldn't it be 60HZ?
If you have a C61K Box there seems to be an issue with them only displaying 4K at 24 FPS not 60 FPS. 60 FPS is however working on TV's with DIRECTV RVU software.

I hope this fix this bug with the C61K soon. As the 4K is REALLY choppy because of the low frame rate.
Carter D likes this.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #57 of 86 Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Is DirecTv making use of the 18 Gb/s HDMI speed, like what is being used for some 4K broadcasts over seas?
post #58 of 86 Old 03-23-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Is DirecTv making use of the 18 Gb/s HDMI speed, like what is being used for some 4K broadcasts over seas?
It took me 28 minutes to navigate my way through the AT&T bureaucracy of nonsense to finally get technical information from them as a non-current customer (despite having their service for nearly 16 years prior). Here's the deal:

The HR54 has an integrated SWIM, the output of which goes to a special RG-6 coax splitter. Each receiver you have in your total system connects to this RG6 splitter with one standard coax wire. The HR54 is only 1080p, but the DVR functionality records the full UHD signal onto the internal hard drive, whatever that is, up to the full 18Gb/s spec. bandwidth. The C61K clients are HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 and can therefore deliver full UHD pixel density and HDR.

Although the technical person would only say 'the HR54 is new but they are updating equipment all the time', the assumption is that the HR54 will be replaced with a new DVR model (HR64?) that will have HDMI 2.0A with HDCP 2.2 and can output 4K directly. Right now if you have just one 4K TV you have to get the HR54 and one C61K client to get the 4k signal delivered to your TV. The new box would eliminate the need for the C61K client until you had a second TV location you were trying to address. No estimate on when this new native 4K DVR would be released.

So it's possible to get full bandwidth UHD / 4K with all available features the format presents today....you just have the extra cost of the HR54 lease fee unless you are connecting it to a 1080p TV in your home anyhow.
post #59 of 86 Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got DTV installed on Monday with the 4K Genie. I can't wait for the Masters this weekend in 4K!!
Carter D likes this.
post #60 of 86 Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 193
What???
You guys are talking about UHD?
Why on Earth Comcast still broadcasting 720p/1080i in my area? In fact, I've never heard or even aware of broadcasting 1080p from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Directv , uhd broadcasting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page