Yamaha Unleashes DTS:X Update for Various AVRs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 5 Post By thorr
  • 1 Post By Shniks
  • 2 Post By Scott Simonian
  • 5 Post By batpig
  • 1 Post By fmalitz

post #1 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9289 Post(s)
Liked: 16449
Yamaha Unleashes DTS:X Update for Various AVRs

The wait is over for owners of Yamaha's CX-A5100 pre/pro, as well as the company’s Aventage RX-A3050, RX-A2050, and RX-A1050 AVRs. Fans of immersive audio can rejoice, a DTS:X update is available now; some AVS members have already installed the new firmware and tested it out.

DTS:X is an object-based (as opposed to channel-based) 3D immersive audio format that is similar to Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D in that it includes height speakers.

The firmware includes DTS:X playback, DTS:X decode, Neural:X upmixing processing, and DTS Dialogue Control. Additionally, it enables HDR (High Dynamic Range) pass through and GUI overlay. It also implements a connectivity improvement for Rhapsody and Napster, as well as some set-top boxes and TVs connected via HDMI. Finally, the firmware offers functionality improvements for Yamaha's MusicCast.

In a quote included with the press release, Bob Goedken (general manager, AV division, Yamaha Corporation of America) said the company "is determined to provide the most immersive sound technologies available today and the DTS:X firmware update demonstrates our passion for sharing the latest in performance with our customers."
ellisr63, Shadowed and freeman4 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-31-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Fantastic! Now everyone can enjoy all of the amazing movies in all of their glory. The Last Witch Hunter, American Ultra, The Big Short, Crimson Peak, Daddy's Home, IP Man 3, Ex Machina!!! Er, wait, I have no interest in any of those.
billmich, Shniks, sdurani and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there ANY DTS:X demos available to test the new format other than the handful of Blu-Rays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post
Fantastic! Now everyone can enjoy all of the amazing movies in all of their glory. The Last Witch Hunter, American Ultra, The Big Short, Crimson Peak, Daddy's Home, IP Man 3, Ex Machina!!! Er, wait, I have no interest in any of those.

How dare you? "Daddy's Home" will win the Oscar for sure...

Cheers,
thorr likes this.

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
post #5 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Currently I have the Onkyo 646, I have no desire to continue to wait for another 3-6 months for the update to get released so what would you recommend, Im looking at around $1000 maybe as high as $1200, would you recommend a Yamaha or Denon or other Manufacture that currently has ATMOS and DTSX currently available?

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #6 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

DTS:X is an object-based (as opposed to channel-based) 3D immersive audio format that is similar to Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D in that it includes height speakers.
Just FYI, both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are hybrid object-channel based formats.

Auro3D is channel-based only.
thehun and kbarnes701 like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 5000 Post(s)
Liked: 5440
Also, Mark, to add more to Scott's post above, it appears that ALL of the current DTS:X blu-ray mixes are 100% channel based.

There were some rumors about this previously, fueled by a screen cap of a Japanese video about Ip Man 3 which showed all outputs as "Bed" and not "Object".

DTS:X (like Atmos) is hybrid channel+objects, however (unlike Atmos) it is not ALWAYS going to be a "7.1 bed + objects" mix. Atmos for home (BD/UHD) is always going to be a 7.1 mix with up to 20 objects. DTS:X is a bit different, it has up to 16 total "waveforms" (not including LFE) which can be delivered as channels or objects or any combination thereof, so a DTS:X mix could be "Atmos like" with 7.1+objects, or it could be 2.1+objects or all channels or any combination you can think of.

Based on the Ip Man 3 video, it seemed as though it was output (from the presumably object-based original mix) as a 7.1.4 channel mix to Blu-ray.

However, now we know that the Yamaha receivers info display actually shows the channel/object mix of the soundtrack, and it has been verified that ALL of the tracks that have been checked have been 7.1.4 discrete channel-based mixes, with the exception of a few demo tracks on the 2016 DTS demo BD that include a single object (which Scott has determined appears to be the dialogue).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Tried it last night, it's working fine.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #9 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Maybe a stupid question, and I haven't found a clear answer anywhere else, but does DTS X "work" with only a 5.1 setup? In other words, if I were to upgrade the AVR first, acquire height speakers (ceiling or otherwise) later, would the DTS X: Neural create virtual overhead sound (the way Yamaha DSP can create virtual presence speakers)?
post #10 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 5000 Post(s)
Liked: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
Maybe a stupid question, and I haven't found a clear answer anywhere else, but does DTS X "work" with only a 5.1 setup? In other words, if I were to upgrade the AVR first, acquire height speakers (ceiling or otherwise) later, would the DTS X: Neural create virtual overhead sound (the way Yamaha DSP can create virtual presence speakers)?
Not that I'm aware of. It would just play like any other standard 5.1/7.1 DTS-HD/MA track until you added height speakers. Like Atmos it's fully backwards compatible.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #11 of 19 Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Not that I'm aware of. It would just play like any other standard 5.1/7.1 DTS-HD/MA track until you added height speakers. Like Atmos it's fully backwards compatible.
As I thought. Thanks.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi friends.
A long time ago I have a question.
What is the joke to put xlr connectors in the back on a avr for home use?
If I not wrong, the xlr connectors are for long cable distances. What is the advantage to this connector for home use, I don't can understand.

Tks, and.... sorry for my English.

Best regards.
Ernesto.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-02-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I've read the DTS literature correctly (and, allowing for manufacture hype), would it be safe to say DTS:X would be more "forgiving" of a 5.1.2 setup than Dolby ATMOS? If so, given my space constraints and unusual ceiling issue, I could accommodate a 5.1.2 (I have 2 subs, but receiving the same signal), which I've read is considerably less than ideal for ATMOS (enough that I've not been highly motivated to upgrade). However, if there was a decent chance that DTS:X would work reasonably well with a 5.1.2 layout, I'd be more willing to go for a less than ideal setup (given the small listening area, I believe only 2 overhead speakers would be sufficient in terms of "coverage"--I'm just not sure if the codec would sound sufficiently better with only two speakers so as to justify the upgrade).
post #14 of 19 Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hello All,

Just want to let you know I've updated my Yamaha RX-A3050 receiver with the new 1.77 update and its awesome. I played the last witch hunter after it updated and it sounded amazing. I know a lot of you don't care too much for the movie but I gave it a try and it seemed pretty good for my taste. It allowed me to play with the cinema DSP program without interfering with the soundtrack. Also tried it with Mad Max and it plays Dolby Atmos, there to I noticed a difference in sound. I'm using a full 7.1.4 layout with the top speakers close to the corners of the wall, about 18' tilted inward pointing down to the listener. All in All it sounds great but I would say it will need improvements in the near future I hope.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
I ran the update on my 3050. I've been using Neural X for the past few days and I like it better than DSU. My ceiling speakers seem to get more use. I haven't watched any native DTS:X content.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Scorpion View Post
Hi friends.
If I not wrong, the xlr connectors are for long cable distances. What is the advantage to this connector for home use, I don't can understand.

Best regards.
Ernesto.
It's primarily to give the impression of audiophile construction with little or no genuine benefit at all. Simply marketing. Your English is excellent.
EdL likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-06-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Scorpion View Post
Hi friends.

Best regards.
Ernesto.
That's right, having balanced connectors will allow the use of much longer cables which probably not be helpful in most home installations BUT they would allow a lot more flexibility if using pro audio power amps that are fan cooled/noisy. This would allow the receiver to be placed in the theater room with the amplifiers in another room out of ear shot. Why they would use XLR connectors instead of TRS? Who knows.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-08-2016, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 102
XLR connectivity to a subwoofer can be advantageous as the sub cable runs can be quite long, especially if the gear is located in a rack on the other side of the house...
XLR's sure do look pretty though!
post #19 of 19 Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
XLR connectivity to a subwoofer can be advantageous as the sub cable runs can be quite long, especially if the gear is located in a rack on the other side of the house...
XLR's sure do look pretty though!
My speakers are 30 feet away from my PC, and I prefer active speakers so XLR (and balanced / unbalanced converters) is really my only choice.

So there is a good reason for XLR outs on channels other than the subs. Active speakers I think are better and most cost effective in terms of audio quality / dollar (considering you don't need amps).

That said, it's ridiculous how if you want 11.2 full pre-outs (even unbalanced ones) on an Atmos / DTS : X AVR you have to dish out thousands of dollars. That's why if I could do it again I'd have to go with passive speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page