Pro Audio Technology Showing "Modestly Priced" 9.1.4 Atmos System at CEDIA 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 4 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By audioguy
  • 2 Post By thxman
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 2 Post By SOWK
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,264
Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9306 Post(s)
Liked: 16473
Pro Audio Technology Showing "Modestly Priced" 9.1.4 Atmos System at CEDIA 2016

While one of the highlights of attending CEDIA is the opportunity to experience a plethora of over-the-top surround-sound demos, typically the prices of such systems are also in the stratosphere. For 2016, Pro Audio Technology has decided to assemble a 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos configuration (with a 9.2.4 speaker system) using comparatively affordable components, which the company says will allow dealers to related to their business while still providing the company signature sound that is focused on "expansive dynamics and visceral energy."

The company will showcase its architectural speaker products in the demo. Three SCRS-26im invisible-mount loudspeakers behind the screen serving as left, center, and right front channels. These speakers are equipped with dual six-inch woofers and a 1-inch compression driver mounted on an elliptical constant-directivity horn. The woofers get 560 W of power and have a 99 dB sensitivity rating.

The side and rear surrounds are comprised of six SCRS-6im speakers that are similar to the SCRS-26im, except for using only one 6-inch woofer instead of two. Peak output is rated at 116 dB/W/m.


Pro Audio Technology high-performance architectural speakers.[/CENTER][/I]

For the four overhead speakers that handle the height channels, Pro Audio Technology chose its smallest speaker, the SCRS-5iw. It pairs a elliptical horn-mounted compression driver with a 5-inch woofer

"Showing a cost-no-object state-of-the-art system is exciting, but not always something that every dealer can relate to as part of their business" said Larry Reagan, co-owner and VP of Sales at Pro Audio. "The ability to bring those same sonic attributes to a system that many dealers can sell every month, is what sets PRO apart. We specialize in powerful, but highly refined systems that can be easily integrated into media rooms and multi-purpose rooms. This year, we are demonstrating a moderately priced Dolby Atmos system that can be a go-to solution for a broad range of installation applications."

I checked out the demo at the show and it did indeed have great fidelity, with the crispness and impact you'd expect from a five-figure system. It may not have had the over-the-top sheer power of some mega-systems the company has shown in the past, but my shirt was flapping from the impact of the bass, as we watched a clip from Unbreakable that averaged 100 dB (C-weighted) from my seat.
freeman4, Reddig, cuzed2 and 1 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-16-2016 at 06:41 PM.
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-15-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1194
Is this driven by Trinnov or Datasat?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Mashie Saldana is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,264
Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9306 Post(s)
Liked: 16473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Is this driven by Trinnov or Datasat?
I have an appointment tomorrow and I'll update the post with specifics.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,943
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Is this driven by Trinnov or Datasat?
Trinnov. I saw and heard the demo today. One of the best demoes I have heard yet. The Alcons demo was great but then it had 47 bazillion speakers in the room with a Trinnov as well - but the bass in the Pro Audio room was superior to my ears [at least from where I sat].
Reddig likes this.
audioguy is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Three SCRS-26im invisible-mount loudspeakers behind the screen serving as left, center, and right front channels. These speakers are equipped with dual six-inch woofers and a 1-inch compression driver mounted on an elliptical constant-directivity horn. The woofers get 560 W of power and have a 99 dB sensitivity rating.

The side and rear surrounds are comprised of six SCRS-6im speakers that are similar to the SCRS-26im, except for using only one 6-inch woofer instead of two. Peak output is rated at 116 dB/W/m.

For the four overhead speakers that handle the height channels, Pro Audio Technology chose its smallest speaker, the SCRS-5iw. It pairs a elliptical horn-mounted compression driver with a 5-inch woofer
I count 3 fronts, 2 side and 2 rear, that's 7, then 4 overhead, so 7.2.4, where's the 9 come from?

Or, are they using 2 in an array for each of the sides? Then that's 9.2.4
mtbdudex is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
"The woofers get 560 W of power and have a 99 dB sensitivity rating."


Dang...I would hate for a buddy to show that off to me while he's drunk.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 718
I brought my SPL (not phone) out during my demo in this booth. The guy facilitating the demo saw me and quickly turned up the volume (up to +2.5 [not a typo] on the Trinnov at one point). Max SPLs were 102.7 dBA and 117 dBC. The compression drivers started staining and the dynamic range on them significantly compressed (everything was loud). Basically, they ran out of steam pre-reference on the HF side. I attended this demo twice, once dead center 2nd row and the other dead center 3rd row for half and far right for the other half. Both demos they stated dealer cost was 5 figures but these (ones being demoed) systems often sell >$100K. Their booth was about 23.5' L x 15.5' W x 10' H. SPL is not everything for six figures and for the SPLs advertised, at least reference would be nice. I have the same SSP and get ref +1 at -20 on the dial calibrated without dynamic compression. They sure picked nice mid frequency drivers.
Reddig and jjackkrash like this.
thxman is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I brought my SPL (not phone) out during my demo in this booth. The guy facilitating the demo saw me and quickly turned up the volume (up to +2.5 [not a typo] on the Trinnov at one point). Max SPLs were 102.7 dBA and 117 dBC. The compression drivers started staining and the dynamic range on them significantly compressed (everything was loud). Basically, they ran out of steam pre-reference on the HF side. I attended this demo twice, once dead center 2nd row and the other dead center 3rd row for half and far right for the other half. Both demos they stated dealer cost was 5 figures but these (ones being demoed) systems often sell >$100K. Their booth was about 23.5' L x 15.5' W x 10' H. SPL is not everything for six figures and for the SPLs advertised, at least reference would be nice. I have the same SSP and get ref +1 at -20 on the dial calibrated without dynamic compression. They sure picked nice mid frequency drivers.
Very nice report. Ive always had an interest in this company since I heard of them 4-5 years ago. Is the company owner a guy that use to be at QSC? I thought i remembered hearing that on a Home Theater Geeks podcast he was on. He is a brilliant guy with a great speaker designing philosophy. Pricey stuff jeez.

Man I can't count how many demos or theaters ive heard that shot themselves in the foot by having the volume too loud. I love it loud but when compromising headroom and adding strain whats the point?
thxman likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Reddig is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Trinnov. I saw and heard the demo today. One of the best demoes I have heard yet. The Alcons demo was great but then it had 47 bazillion speakers in the room with a Trinnov as well - but the bass in the Pro Audio room was superior to my ears [at least from where I sat].
The immersion on the Alcons demo was compromised by limitations with speaker placement with the scaffolding and the different types of drivers on different speakers. This allowed them to showcase different solutions but some of the speakers reviled their location at different locations as a result. Alcons don't require higher speaker count for great panning and surround fields. I have invited SOWK and Pennynike1 to demo my theater early this morning (leaving the EXPO at 8 AM, @30 min drive). I have asked them both to provide candid feedback despite my room being far from complete. I know I am going to fall short on the low end, but I think they will enjoy the overall experience. I am bias, so lets hear what they think.

Last edited by thxman; 09-17-2016 at 02:32 AM.
thxman is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,529
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
The immersion on the Alcons demo was compromised by limitations with speaker placement with the scaffolding and the different types of drivers on different speakers. This allowed them to showcase different solutions but some of the speakers reviled their location at different locations as a result. Alcons don't require higher speaker count for great panning and surround fields. I have invited SOWK and Pennynike1 to demo my theater early this morning (leaving the EXPO at 8 AM, @30 min drive). I have asked them both to provide candid feedback despite my room being far from complete. I know I am going to fall short on the low end, but I think they will enjoy the overall experience. I am bias, so lets hear what they think.
First off... Thank you so much for not only inviting us... But driving us as well.

I will confirm that the Alcon room at CEDIA 2016 was not perfect due to having limited space (for the venue) and trying to optimize for a very large group of people.

In thxman's personal home theater setup, the need to optimize for a large group is gone, and speaker placement and optimization is focused on just the main listening position.

The Alcon's in his *currently* untreated room sounded amazing and we were running them uncalibrated. Im not sure there could be any larger praise for the Alcon's. (Aka untreated and uncalibrated and still sounded amazing without calling attention to any negative or unwanted audio cues) Bravo to thxman's precise setup and Alcon's amazing speaker design.

He has his speakers setup in a near perfect sphere around the MLP providing me the best surround / atmos / dts x, I have heard in anyones Home Cinema including my own.

There are so many things he has already done so well but for me the topper of the charts was his D-Box enabled seats! OMG... How have I been watching movies without it!!!

At the shows you always sit in a very gimmiky version of D-box, but in his home theater it was refined and optimized to add a very very substantial amount of immersion to the movie clips we watched.

I was blown away with his currently unfinished setup and am just a little envious of his current immersive movie watching experience. Amazing work. Besides finishing the room and getting a perfect calibration, I for the first time have nothing I can recommend to an AVS memeber to improve their system other than the typical finish the room and get the audio/video calibrated.

Higest praise indeed.
thxman and mumps like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 09-18-2016 at 08:10 AM.
SOWK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
atmos , pro audio technology

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off