Yamaha Disklavier Enspire Reproducing Piano with MusicCast at CEDIA 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By TMcG

post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2016, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9288 Post(s)
Liked: 16441
Yamaha Disklavier Enspire Reproducing Piano with MusicCast at CEDIA 2016

The award for the most interesting audio device at CEDIA 2016 assuredly goes to Yamaha for its MusicCast enabled Disklavier Enspire reproducing piano. Times have you heard that nothing beats a live performance when it comes to audio quality? With the Enspire, you don't have to compromise by listening to a piano performance through a speaker. Instead, you can have the actual piano.

Yamaha's quite cool Disklavier Enspire reproducing piano. Video by Mark Henninger.

You are probably wondering what MusicCast has to do with a reproducing piano, so here's the scoop. The Disklavier line features DisklavierTV, a subscription service that streams live or on-demand, note-for-note piano performances from music events. Not only can the Enspire accurately reproduce live piano performances with the absolute fidelity that can only be achieved with an actual piano, it also has built-in music synthesis (Yamaha is a leader in building both pianos and music synthesizers).

As Yamaha explains, "As top artists and their ensembles perform in one location, their entire performance is streamed to Disklavier pianos throughout the United States – the remote instruments’ keys and pedals moving up and down to faithfully recreate the original artists’ performance."

The Enspire can reproduce live piano performances at home.

If you are in the same room as the piano, then obviously you're going to listen to the piano. However, thanks to MusicCast, you can also stream the performance to the wide variety of audio products that are part of Yamaha's networked, multiroom audio ecosystem.

"The integration of MusicCast wireless multiroom audio capability in the Disklavier Enspire marks yet another exciting example of Yamaha leveraging the power of its Keyboard and AV divisions to create a dynamic new concept in home entertainment. These instruments were already loaded with the most advanced features, functions and high quality sound in the world," says Roger Eaton, chief marketing director, Yamaha Corporation of America. "Now, the listener can leave the room and not have to miss a note of a brilliant piano performance, thanks to outstanding Yamaha multiroom audio technology."

I spent a few minutes on the show floor at CEDIA watching and listening to the Enspire do its thing, and I must confess it's the first time in my life I thought a piano was something I'd like to own. Convention centers are not exactly the best places for piano demos (or speaker demos for that matter) but it's hard to argue with the fidelity of actual instrument.

There are three variations of the Enspire; the CL, ST, and PRO. Furthermore, Disklavier Enspire is available in 14 models, including 48” uprights and grand pianos that range from a five-foot model (DGB1K) to the flagship nine-foot concert grand (DCFX). These remarkable, networked musical instruments are available now.

Last edited by imagic; 09-17-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2016, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Super awesome!

As a piano aficionado, I've often wanted to get my hands on some really good pitch-to-midi converters with high res midi output (including note stop), so that I could take my Richter CD collection and play it back without the coughs and sneezes from the crowd, using Pianoteq or some other physics based synthesis.

It would be awesome to get my hands on some of these streams. That's why closed ecosystems suck. This is a niche product but with so much potential. As soon as you have the essentials of a performance, you can re-render it and re-author it on another type of piano, in another room, tuned to another key, or even on a different instrument, plus...you can even correct mistakes in post (ghasp! yes, I went there).
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Great invention!

When I'll be super rich I'll buy me one of these to my huge entrance hall for guests to marvel and be welcomed in maximum class, style and sophistication.
Now please create a full automatic String ensemble to go along with it in my Hall.

Meanwhile some MP3s and bookshelf speakers will have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
I have a Yamaha with Disklavier and have a subscription to their various channels. It is an amazing device. Nothing like live piano playing through your house on demand. The Mozart channel is my fav. Good stuff!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I have a Yamaha with Disklavier and have a subscription to their various channels. It is an amazing device. Nothing like live piano playing through your house on demand. The Mozart channel is my fav. Good stuff!
You've been holding out on me, Jeff!! I didn't realize you had one of these pianos. Will have to check it out the next time we're together.

I had a number of customers with earlier versions of these pianos when they first came out and were initially floppy disk based and then CD-based. Really interesting to add the live performance concept to these pianos along with the associated accompaniment.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I think this would make for a good Home Theater Geeks episode or at least a follow up interview to delve into the details of how the music is captured/encoded and played back. Based on the fact that it is compatible with other MusicCast devices, it sounds like they are using a traditional digital PCM (or a compressed variation) encoding to deliver the music to the playback device. While the compatibility is nice and means that the piano can be used to play back virtually any song (though I'm not sure that you would want to listen to a piano trying to recreate some types of music), it seems to be inefficient and a compromise on the fidelity of the music to do it this way. I think you could get higher fidelity by digitally encoding the music as a set of instructions telling the piano which keys/pedals to press, how hard to press them, and how long to hold them down.

Thoughts?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9288 Post(s)
Liked: 16441
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
I think this would make for a good Home Theater Geeks episode or at least a follow up interview to delve into the details of how the music is captured/encoded and played back. Based on the fact that it is compatible with other MusicCast devices, it sounds like they are using a traditional digital PCM (or a compressed variation) encoding to deliver the music to the playback device. While the compatibility is nice and means that the piano can be used to play back virtually any song (though I'm not sure that you would want to listen to a piano trying to recreate some types of music), it seems to be inefficient and a compromise on the fidelity of the music to do it this way. I think you could get higher fidelity by digitally encoding the music as a set of instructions telling the piano which keys/pedals to press, how hard to press them, and how long to hold them down.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are you that based on your post, you don't have a full understanding of how the system works (it's a bit complicated), and yes a HTG episode that deep-dives into the topic would be helpful. But the short version is that the piano plays the actual keystrokes of the performer, it's not some audio-to-midi cheap trick.
HockeyoAJB likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
I think you could get higher fidelity by digitally encoding the music as a set of instructions telling the piano which keys/pedals to press, how hard to press them, and how long to hold them down.

Thoughts?
This is exactly what it does. It doesn't digitally capture a PCM stream, it captures telemetry data from all the keys and pedals, reproducing it precisely. Not noted, but many of these pianos also have a 'record' feature so you can play back your own playing which is another cool feature.
HockeyoAJB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page