Wolf Cinema SDC-15 Ultra 4K Projector at CEDIA 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-19-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4914
Wolf Cinema SDC-15 Ultra 4K Projector at CEDIA 2016

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked: 5863
I was directed to the Wolf room by the guys at the JVC booth when I asked where could I see some of there lesser model projectors other than their new true 4K projector being shown in the booth. I agree the image looked great.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Before you mentioned the upscaler I was about to ask where can I get my hands on The Fifth Element in 4k??? but Im assuming that was one of the clips being upscaled?

And from your video it looked pretty good.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-20-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Does it come with "JVC Inside" sticker?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #5 of 6 Old 09-21-2016, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Does it come with "JVC Inside" sticker?
David, Wolf produces projectors using the JVC technology and numerous other technologies and are not just rebadged. Contacting them would give you full details on what they do to their SDC-JVC versions as well as their other technologies offered.

Specs-manship is an interesting game in our business. Manufacturers often post numbers that may (or may not) have much resemblance to imaging reality. ANSI lumens is truly one of those unregulated areas that can mean anything and often does. One video manufacturer I know posts peak white ANSI numbers that could never be achieved, especially with the given lamp wattage and optics in use. It’s sorta like theoretical top speed of a car . . . on a good day, downhill, the wind behind your back, you MIGHT hit 180 MPH.

Like politics and statistics, even engineering specs can be skewed for or against a position. Reading measured lumens from a projector on marketing lit makes comparing one projector to another very difficult. They usually leave out what standard of measurement was used (there are multiple standards—both US and International), what distance from the light source the measurement was taken, and how long that brightness can be maintained at that level. What I like to quote is how many foot-lamberts (fL) of light are reflected off of the film screen using a specific screen, projector, lens, and distance—all under a specific light level in a room. It seems complicated, but it reveals the truth about the performance of the system instead of just the parts individual specs.

FL? That’s the right way to measure projectors: how much peak white light [calibrated to 6500K] measured as reflected off a defined screen surface/size. The test screen size common in performing baseline fL measurements is a 72” wide 16/9 screen, 1.0 and 1.3 gain surfaces. The fL numbers are typically posted using the 1.3 gain material.

ANSI lumens has no defined set of standards behind it so it’s more marketing fun than comparative . . . reminds me of receiver/amp wattage before the FTC stepped in and made us define wattage per channel, into what load, what frequency range, total amount of THD etc., etc.

A lamped product *might* hit those numbers at the beginning, day 1, calibrated to 6500K. Many manufacturers actually ramp up to ~12,000K since blue-shifted white measures “brighter” [aka bluing in laundry soap – makes white “whiter” huh?]. It measures higher but it’s wrong in fidelity. A UHP lamp begins its rather rapid decline to half-life output typically within 300 hours or so. Even after 100 hours, a UHP lamp may be down 30% from the starting point, and will continue to degrade over the next 1200-2000 hours until a lamp replacement is required.

Another concept that relates to visual output is color accuracy and depth. UHP lamps are significantly red deficient so it takes a great deal more output (plus heavy dichromatic filtering) to achieve the correct chroma balance for HD viewing. LED emitters are so broad and accurate in chroma imaging fidelity that the eye “sees” what appears to be a bright, more intense image throughout the extended color gamut.

Last point – Wolf SDC Series started off around 750 ANSI as measured and published last year. Each production cycle they’ve achieved +10-15% in peak white performance improvement. They’re now measuring ~1100 ANSI performance off their lampless LED platform, and will be publishing that number going forward. Truly astonishing, and it will of course retain that peak white performance over the life of the emitters [30,000 hours under warranty, “a movie a night for 17 years…”].
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SDC-15_Ultra-4K_Product_Bulletin_11-15.pdf (582.5 KB, 50 views)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Does WOLF sell just the upscaler (which looks very much like Lumagen, especially with the inclusion of Darbee processing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
cedia 2016 , wolf cinema

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page