Alexa Voice Control is Coming to Denon HEOS in 2017 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 116 Old 10-11-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
It is both, albeit the HS1 will require a bluetooth adapter to connect to Alexa.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Where did you hear this? It doesn't seem to be correct based on Denon's published information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman2306 View Post
Where did you hear this? It doesn't seem to be correct based on Denon's published information.
The Internet sir...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
post #63 of 116 Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The Internet sir...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Well it seems the Internet lied. I have 3 v1 devices and only 1 v2. Only the v2 shows up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 116 Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
The Internet sir...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Well it seems the Internet lied. I have 3 v1 devices and only 1 v2. Only the v2 shows up.
post #65 of 116 Old 10-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Hmmm!!! Even with a bluetooth module attached to ver 1???

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
post #66 of 116 Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Any news on when the next update will land? Currently only have quite basic functionality, it would be great to start playing music using voice commands.
post #67 of 116 Old 11-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
update?
post #68 of 116 Old 11-28-2017, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 46
do you think Onkyo will jump on something like this>/

Marantz 6012 | Dual Full Marty’s with UM18's | iNuke6000DSP | ViewSonic PJD7828HDL | 135” Elite Screen 16:9 | Dual 8” speakercraft LCR | AIM 7 Surrounds | 5.2.2 Currently
post #69 of 116 Old 11-29-2017, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you.
post #70 of 116 Old 11-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago1 View Post
update?
Extra Alexa functions are 'coming soon.'. http://heoshome.com/getstarted.html
post #71 of 116 Old 12-02-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Personally, zero interest in having Alexa in my home and especially not another layer of stuff in my audio/video gear to have to pay for.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #72 of 116 Old 12-02-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5550 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
"Alexa, cancel Christmas gift* being ordered for Jive Turkey."

*another Alexa
Jive Turkey likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-02-2017 at 02:20 PM.
post #73 of 116 Old 12-02-2017, 02:32 PM

This is what happens when Alexa has a bad day:
post #74 of 116 Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbfly View Post
Does anyone know where to find the Denon Heos Drive? They seemed to have evaporated from the planet. No dealer has them in stock and no information from Denon to that end. I would imagine it's because of the new and improved version that will replace the old.
The new version is starting to pop up (adorama and eBay)
Is the Heos Drive completely DIY? Want to make sure I can get support/warranty if needed.
I can’t stand my crestron system because of how much the dealer needs to be involved for any minor change.
post #75 of 116 Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
And yes Amazon's marketing is on by default and you have to switch it off. Big deal!
And as I stated earlier, just because you switch something off doesn't mean it's off. It means you believe it is off.

I'm just pointing out the risks. It's up to any particular person to ascertain if they personally are concerned about risks and vulnerabilities or not.
I would also like to add that just because it shows off doesn't mean it is off like HT Geek mentioned. But there is also the risk that it can be hacked weather on or off and the user would never know that it happened because in most cases hackers delete the log files on there way out. I remember seeing a program that was going around giving hackers and others access to people pc's that where downloading content from file sharing sites and this was back in the 90's. It gave you the ability to see what the user saw on there monitor and it also had a key logger but you could watch someone have conversation like in MSN Chat and see everything being typed. It gave you access to all hard drives and windows files and even let you give them the blue screen of death! Fast forward to recently when we had the issue with LG & Samsung smart tv security and the data the collected and the ability for them to be hacked was revealed. Also if you have cameras accessible to the internet you take that risk and you really need to be mindful of what you allow these cameras to see, how you aim these cameras is important because they can be hacked. Granted more and more people seem to have the attitude of ya just turn something off no big deal because IMHO people have gotten use to the technology and are willing to give up there privacy because they don't feel it can come back to haunt them in any way. It is very concerning the amount of data that is taken in every day and stored even if that data can not be used it may be used someday by some one who may or may not be following the law. It is also dangerous to be storing all this data on people in one place because it makes it so much more convenient if hackers gain access and it does happen.

https://qz.com/1044953/an-amazon-ech...conversations/
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...ts-you-n824566
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...d-google-home/

Everything is about convenience and making things accessible and with as little physical interaction as possible. Another example of this is how so many have adopted streaming over ownership of content and or convenience over quality. But that is up to everyone else to decide what they are or are not comfortable with like HT Geek was saying. And in many cases the likelihood may be low but even a small chance is not acceptable for me and when things are being collected for marketing and they are making money off of it no thanks! They are turning as many consumers as possible into revenue streams and why should we allow this?

But back to the topic at hand. Dispite what some may think in this forum I do love technology but there is a point where I say enough is enough. I just do not get the need to have access outside the home or access to something instead of just walking to a switch or picking up a remote. But as far as alexa, siri or cortana goes it is funny how often you ask a simple question and it can not figure it out and resorts to doing a web search which is in many cases not what you where actually looking for. So just imagine if it is something questionable that search is logged and it may have been something you did not intend but the person looking at it is not going to take that into account. But what is the purpose of this feature anyway. It seems to be that if your going to put together a playlist for music that will be playing for guests that if would be faster to do it manually. I do not see how it would not be a pain to try and do this just by voice command and how well that would actually work. I would imagine that alexa would store every search you do, every song & artist you request to play. Every request for what movie you want to play is all stored even if the feature is turned off and I say that because I feel the culture of today's companies has that mindset that they have the right to that data even though they would never actually admit it.

So even though I am not interested in this feature and wouldn't use it for anything. I still find myself interested in what it can do and what shortfall people are finding in the feature.

Will it do playlist set ups or is that still something you have to do manually?

Is the features software accessible through the wireless on the back of the receiver even if it is turned off and no Ethernet is plugged in?

Will it or can it access content off a NAS drive or PC on the network? Or a tablet or phone accessible via the wireless network?

Can you set quality requirements for music and or movies? For example can you set lossless audio for music being your preference and a do not play anything below a certain bit rate when streaming off the internet?

As with anything I am sure there will be growing pains involved and that the search feature will get better over time and it is up to each individual to decide for themselves if they are comfortable with what information is stored about them. But just know that things happen outside the so called rules and that what may not be supposedly allowable now will not be allowable in the near future as laws and regulations catch up with technology and the governments need to know as much as possible.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sonos-b...ews-26304.html

Don't be surprised if we find out that alexa, siri or cortana devices can or have been hacked!

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 Receiver, Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, 4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel, Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers, Advent Marbles, HSU VTF-3 MK5HP subwoofer. AudioQuest cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Harmony Elite Remote.

Last edited by Dave Moritz; 12-28-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #76 of 116 Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
At least with this you know you're being spied on, as opposed to the Bose story
post #77 of 116 Old 01-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 107
anyone has tips on the best use for this setup? I've had my x4300h up and running for about 3 months now, solely for HT, then I've accumulated a few echo dots since then, great enabler of my helpless laziness. I have only look into setting up HEOS account half-heartedly and got the skills up and running in Alexa, I'm still not sure what am I supposed to do with it? Do I need to purchase additional HEOS-enabled speakers to play music wirelessly (that's my impression of its best-use, though I have little interest in doing that)? what I really want is for Alexa to stream music through speakers wired via my receiver, but I haven't figured that out, is it doable?

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
post #78 of 116 Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
...I wonder what Alexa will say when a user asks "where are the front wides"?
She'll say. I am sorry I don't know that one. Like she usually says lol.
post #79 of 116 Old 02-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Angry

Hello guys. I got an alexa 15 days ago, and Spotify on my HEOS devices was working perfectly till yersterday.

I would tell alexa "...play <XXX music> from Spotify on <Speaker>" where <Speaker> was either a HEOS 3 HS2, or a Marantz 7011, and it started playing instantly.

Yesterday alexa started saying "I can't play from Spotify music on that device"

Officialy Spotify is not yet supported on HEOS devices, but how the heck was it working all this time??
teachsac likes this.
post #80 of 116 Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Anyone know of a way to get Alexa to switch inputs on the receiver? What I'd love is to be able to tell Alexa to switch the video to the xbox and have the input change. Actually what I'm hoping to do is find a way to give a master command and have Alexa turn on the TV, receiver, and put all the inputs to the right mode based on what you wanted to do. Mostly this is for when other people are over who don't know how to control a system like this, and I can instead tell them to give a command to Alexa.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #81 of 116 Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Anyone know of a way to get Alexa to switch inputs on the receiver? What I'd love is to be able to tell Alexa to switch the video to the xbox and have the input change. Actually what I'm hoping to do is find a way to give a master command and have Alexa turn on the TV, receiver, and put all the inputs to the right mode based on what you wanted to do. Mostly this is for when other people are over who don't know how to control a system like this, and I can instead tell them to give a command to Alexa.
Get a Harmony Elite Remote control and hub.
post #82 of 116 Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just got the Alexa HEOS skill up and running on my S730H and thought I'd give my general observations and suggestions (since some posters were wondering what is the benefit or use case, etc.)

I bought a Denon S730H after we moved to a new house late last year, I chose it because it was a good midlevel/basic receiver with Airplay, HEOS smartphone apps and streaming services, Alexa control, and multi zone. I have a 2 zone system set up, with Zone 1 being backyard speakers, and Zone 2 being my living room speakers. I set it up that way because Audyssey dramatically improved my backyard outdoor speakers (TIC GS3). Inside I have some classic DCM speakers that sound pretty good already on their own. The S730H drives the outdoor speakers louder than I will ever get to play them, unfortunately (neighbors!)

We have 1 Echo Dot, a couple of Dash Wands, and 2 Fire TV's that have their own Alexa remotes, all of which can obviously be used for Alexa commands. Now, Alexa doesn't do anything I can't already do with the Denon AVR and HEOS smartphone apps. But it does feel kind of magical to be able to say, "Alexa, play Jimi Hendrix on deck", "Alexa, volume 50 on deck," or "Alexa, turn off deck" and have everything up and running by itself (with the Dash and Fire TV remotes you don't say "Alexa", you just hold the button and issue the command.) Someone asked about how to switch inputs on a receiver, here is a list of available commands (including switching inputs):
http://rn.dmglobal.com/usheos/HeosCP118.png

The command list doesn't mention album names, but you can request specific albums (if you have a service that supports that.)

With the receiver interface itself, HEOS, and Alexa skill all more or less running on top of each other, there are bound to be some snafus. But after some setup hiccups, it all actually works very well. Here are some goods/bads I've encountered:

1. 'Room' and 'Zone' can mean different things at different times, even Denon uses the terms sometimes generally, and sometimes as a specific term referring to a hardware or software feature. For any set up that doesn't involve a receiver in multi-zone configuration, it doesn't really matter as the device name is typically the room it is located in. The Alexa HEOS skill only recognizes room names, not zones. So unfortunately I can't ask Alexa to play music in my zone 1 or zone 2. I can ask Alexa to start playback on the main zone, then make any zone changes in the HEOS app (first world problems!) AVR zone control would be a great new feature to add to the HEOS Alexa Skill.

2. The Alexa skill didn't work right unless I used one of the default choices for room name (by that I mean when you edit or pick a name for a room in the HEOS app.) All the default choices are room names which doesn't quite fit a multi zone receiver, so I originally custom entered 'Stereo' as my room name, and "Yard" and "LivingRoom" as my 2 zones. The Alexa commands didn't work very well with any of the custom room names I assigned to my receiver- that was very frustrating because it sometimes recognized the name and sometimes didn't. At some point I just picked "Deck" from the drop down list, refreshed my devices in Alexa, and then boom- everything started working perfectly.

3. The Dash Wands in particular are great for me, because they are cheap (first one was free after $20 Amazon credit, 2nd was $7 on sale at Amazon a couple of weeks ago) and just as importantly are weather-resistant/splashproof. This means I can keep 1 or 2 Dashes outside (we own a spa) as voice remotes (I should have bought 2 when they went on sale, but will pick up another later.) On a side note regarding privacy, I don't think the Dash wands are listening or recording anything unless you press the button (they run off 2 AA batteries and are basically sleeping until you press the button- that's why you can't use them for timers.) When the rainy season is over I'll maybe put an Echo Dot on our patio deck. Again, these controls can all be done on a smartphone (I really like the Denon/HEOS smartphone apps!), but this does add some convenience.

4. If you are using Airplay from a iOS device for playback, you can still perform some rudimentary Alexa commands even though the receiver is not playing through HEOS. You can skip, pause, and still of course control volume.

5. This is a limitation of the HEOS system, but I don't think you can ask Alexa to play some custom playlist you've made in your Amazon Music or other music service. IIRC, in the HEOS app when you choose one of the services, you mostly get universal choices for playlists and radio stations, artist search, but not user-created playlists (there are a lot of available choices however.) So if I made my own big party playlist, I would play it via Airplay from a phone or tablet and then have the basic Alexa controls I mentioned above. With Android I assume you could play through Bluetooth instead and have the same controls through Alexa (since Bluetooth supports those basic functionalities.) HEOS only is somewhat limiting, but HEOS + Airplay or HEOS + Bluetooth gives you a lot of options.

6. If you only have 1 HEOS speaker or 1 receiver that is only playing in 1 zone, the Alexa capability would seem to be much less significant. Especially if it's in your living room or home theater where all the remotes are right there on the coffee table anyway. But for multi zone and multiple devices this is pretty cool, especially if you have zones outside. The next portable speaker I buy will be a HEOS enabled one (maybe a HEOS 1 or 3 for the kitchen or our side patio), and will seamlessly fit in with minimum set up.

7. The Logitech Harmony hub system with matching Alexa skill offers a lot of additional capabilities. As long as there's no overlapping name assignments (which would probably confuse Alexa on whether to invoke the HEOS or Logitech skill) I could see it all working together seamlessly. These days I stream almost 100% of the time, so don't need a Harmony hub myself.

8. I was really late to the smart home thing, but I have found Alexa in general to work great. You don't need any additional hardware like a central hub, and there is a lot of inexpensive Alexa-compatible hardware. I own 3 or 4 TP-Link smart plugs, a Nest thermostat, and a Ring doorbell. I mainly just use the smart plugs, but nothing was expensive and I'll probably try using the free IFTTT service to create little services (turn on certain lights when the Ring detects motion, etc.) So getting an Alexa-enabled receiver was a pretty easy step for me.

6. I can't wait until summer!

Last edited by steveylang; 03-22-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #83 of 116 Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveylang View Post
I just got the Alexa HEOS skill up and running on my S730H and thought I'd give my general observations and suggestions (since some posters were wondering what is the benefit or use case, etc.)

I bought a Denon S730H after we moved to a new house late last year, I chose it because it was a good midlevel/basic receiver with Airplay, HEOS smartphone apps and streaming services, Alexa control, and multi zone. I have a 2 zone system set up, with Zone 1 being backyard speakers, and Zone 2 being my living room speakers. I set it up that way because Audyssey dramatically improved my backyard outdoor speakers (TIC GS3). Inside I have some classic DCM speakers that sound pretty good already on their own. The S730H drives the outdoor speakers louder than I will ever get to play them, unfortunately (neighbors!)

We have 1 Echo Dot, a couple of Dash Wands, and 2 Fire TV's that have their own Alexa remotes, all of which can obviously be used for Alexa commands. Now, Alexa doesn't do anything I can't already do with the Denon AVR and HEOS smartphone apps. But it does feel kind of magical to be able to say, "Alexa, play Jimi Hendrix on deck", "Alexa, volume 50 on deck," or "Alexa, turn off deck" and have everything up and running by itself (with the Dash and Fire TV remotes you don't say "Alexa", you just hold the button and issue the command.) Someone asked about how to switch inputs on a receiver, here is a list of available commands (including switching inputs):
http://rn.dmglobal.com/usheos/HeosCP118.png

With the receiver interface itself, HEOS, and Alexa skill all more or less running on top of each other, there are bound to be some snafus. But after some setup hiccups, it all actually works very well. Here are some goods/bads I've encountered:

1. 'Room' and 'Zone' can mean different things at different times, even Denon uses the terms sometimes generally, and sometimes as a specific term referring to a hardware or software feature. For any set up that doesn't involve a receiver in multi-zone configuration, it doesn't really matter as the device name is typically the room it is located in. The Alexa HEOS skill only recognizes room names, not zones. So unfortunately I can't ask Alexa to play music in my zone 1 or zone 2. I can ask Alexa to start playback on the main zone, then make any zone changes in the HEOS app (first world problems!) AVR zone control would be a great new feature to add to the HEOS Alexa Skill.

2. The Alexa skill didn't work right unless I used one of the default choices for room name (by that I mean when you edit or pick a name for a room in the HEOS app.) All the default choices are room names which doesn't quite fit a multi zone receiver, so I originally custom entered 'Stereo' as my room name, and "Yard" and "LivingRoom" as my 2 zones. The Alexa commands didn't work very well with any of the custom room names I assigned to my receiver- that was very frustrating because it sometimes recognized the name and sometimes didn't. At some point I just picked "Deck" from the drop down list, refreshed my devices in Alexa, and then boom- everything started working perfectly.

3. The Dash Wands in particular are great for me, because they are cheap (first one was free after $20 Amazon credit, 2nd was $7 on sale at Amazon a couple of weeks ago) and just as importantly are weather-resistant/splashproof. This means I can keep 1 or 2 Dashes outside (we own a spa) as voice remotes (I should have bought 2 when they went on sale, but will pick up another later.) On a side note regarding privacy, I don't think the Dash wands are listening or recording anything unless you press the button (they run off 2 AA batteries and are basically sleeping until you press the button- that's why you can't use them for timers.) When the rainy season is over I'll maybe put an Echo Dot on our patio deck. Again, these controls can all be done on a smartphone (I really like the Denon/HEOS smartphone apps!), but this does add some convenience.

4. If you are using Airplay from a iOS device for playback, you can still perform some rudimentary Alexa commands even though the receiver is not playing through HEOS. You can skip, pause, and still of course control volume.

5. This is a limitation of the HEOS system, but I don't think you can ask Alexa to play some custom playlist you've made in your Amazon Music or other music service. IIRC, in the HEOS app when you choose one of the services, you mostly get universal choices for playlists and radio stations, artist search, but not user-created playlists (there are a lot of available choices however.) So if I made my own big party playlist, I would play it via Airplay from a phone or tablet and then have the basic Alexa controls I mentioned above. With Android I assume you could play through Bluetooth instead and have the same controls through Alexa (since Bluetooth supports those basic functionalities.) HEOS only is somewhat limiting, but HEOS + Airplay or HEOS + Bluetooth gives you a lot of options.

6. If you only have 1 HEOS speaker or 1 receiver that is only playing in 1 zone, the Alexa capability would seem to be much less significant. Especially if it's in your living room or home theater where all the remotes are right there on the coffee table anyway. But for multi zone and multiple devices this is pretty cool, especially if you have zones outside. The next portable speaker I buy will be a HEOS enabled one (maybe a HEOS 1 or 3 for the kitchen or our side patio), and will seamlessly fit in with minimum set up.

7. The Logitech Harmony hub system with matching Alexa skill offers a lot of additional capabilities. As long as there's no confusion about name assignments (thus confusing Alexa on whether to invoke the HEOS or Logitech skill) I could see it all working together seamlessly. These days I stream almost 100% of the time, so don't need a Harmony hub myself.

8. I was really late to the smart home thing, but I have found Alexa in general to work great. You don't need any additional hardware like a central hub, and there is a lot of inexpensive Alexa-compatible hardware. I own 3 or 4 TP-Link smart plugs, a Nest thermostat, and a Ring doorbell. I mainly just use the smart plugs, but nothing was expensive and I'll probably try using the free IFTTT service to create little services (turn on certain lights when the Ring detects motion, etc.) So getting an Alexa-enabled receiver was a pretty easy step for me.

Thanks for the command list! I tried it out and found it odd that for my Denon reciever you can only switch inputs to DVD or Blu-Ray, not Game or Media Streaming. I can always move the cord and just rename DVD as Xbox, but still odd. I also figured out that you can't do a routine that has Alexa switch HDMI inputs, which sucks. Hopefully that gets updated on the amazon side in the future.
post #84 of 116 Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Thanks for the command list! I tried it out and found it odd that for my Denon reciever you can only switch inputs to DVD or Blu-Ray, not Game or Media Streaming. I can always move the cord and just rename DVD as Xbox, but still odd. I also figured out that you can't do a routine that has Alexa switch HDMI inputs, which sucks. Hopefully that gets updated on the amazon side in the future.
You're welcome! I think all new features or revisions would actually be made by Denon since they created and are providing the HEOS Skill (which is essentially a software plug-in to the Alexa service.) Since there is already some basic AVR controls, hopefully they will add more as time passes.

As the other poster mentioned, I think with a Harmony Hub (they are under $100, maybe it's a non-Elite version?) and the Harmony Alexa skill you can actually do all the things you wanted.
post #85 of 116 Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I have a 4300h with 3 zones - Zone 1- den, 2-Kitchen and 3-Deck. I can use Alexa to turn on and play only on zone 1, and this only works when I assign the 4300h an Alexa "friendly" name, eg Theatre.

There is no way to turn on zone 2 or 3, or assign music to them, at this stage. This is a huge limitation on a system whose claim to fame is multiroom audio.

I guess it is coming, but does anyone know when this might be? And how to be notified when it does?

Also no Alexa, Spotify, Heos integration as yet either.
post #86 of 116 Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drj55 View Post
I have a 4300h with 3 zones - Zone 1- den, 2-Kitchen and 3-Deck. I can use Alexa to turn on and play only on zone 1, and this only works when I assign the 4300h an Alexa "friendly" name, eg Theatre.

There is no way to turn on zone 2 or 3, or assign music to them, at this stage. This is a huge limitation on a system whose claim to fame is multiroom audio.

I guess it is coming, but does anyone know when this might be? And how to be notified when it does?

Also no Alexa, Spotify, Heos integration as yet either.
I agree. I didn’t catch that when I bought my 6400H. It’s a huge limitation for me. I hope Denon will add this capability very soon.

_______
Axel

post #87 of 116 Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I wonder if you, or anyone else, could answer this question: if the receiver is powered off (well, on standby) and you ask Alexa to play some music everywhere, does it power the receiver on and then begin to play music?
post #88 of 116 Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
I wonder if you, or anyone else, could answer this question: if the receiver is powered off (well, on standby) and you ask Alexa to play some music everywhere, does it power the receiver on and then begin to play music?
I can get the receiver to reliably power on/off (Main Zone only). I am still working on getting Alexa to start streaming a music service. Thus far, Alexa keeps starting on my echos, rather than the Denon. It should be possible though.

_____
Axel
Darvis likes this.

post #89 of 116 Old 05-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 47
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/25/614470096/amazon-echo-recorded-and-sent-couples-conversation-all-without-their-knowledge?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Perhaps it's a difference of generations(GenXer here), but I would NEVER consider having any of these devices in my home.
m. zillch and greaser like this.

Audio-Parasound Halo Integrated/Cambridge Audio CXNv2/Yamaha BD-A1060/Monitor Audio Silver 300/SVS SB1000/Sennheiser HD600/Shure SRH1540
Video-Sony XBR900E/Sony PS4Pro/Microsoft XBOX One X/Oppo BDP-103/Roku+/Yamaha YAS-107/Emotiva BasX S10

Last edited by xpavar; 05-25-2018 at 02:32 PM.
post #90 of 116 Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 PM

1968's prediction of the future:

Present day:

Siri has a few funny come backs for this. Give it a go.
xpavar likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-25-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
alexa , Amazon , Denon , heos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page