Alexa Voice Control is Coming to Denon HEOS in 2017 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #91 of 116 Old 05-26-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I can get the receiver to reliably power on/off (Main Zone only). I am still working on getting Alexa to start streaming a music service. Thus far, Alexa keeps starting on my echos, rather than the Denon. It should be possible though.

_____
Axel
it works for me, Denon on stand-by, me: "Alexa, play 'iHeartRadio' (whatever streaming service you've linked with Alexa app) on 'Banana' (whatever you've named your AVR in Alexa app)", and it takes Alexa about 2 seconds to wake my 4300H, switch to appropriate channel and start playing through my speakers connected via AVR.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 05-28-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpavar View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/25/614470096/amazon-echo-recorded-and-sent-couples-conversation-all-without-their-knowledge?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Perhaps it's a difference of generations(GenXer here), but I would NEVER consider having any of these devices in my home.
Between you n me we span the decades...i'm an old over the hill baby boomer and there ain't no way no how that i would let a spy into my home.
I guess it takes a certain kind of naive thinking to believe that the spy you bring into your home won't actually spy on you....hmmm kinda reminds me of that snake poem about the lady who found a venomous snake and took it home,then complained when the snake bit her...but the snake reminded her that SHE KNEW when she took him home that he was a venomous snake and would BITE.
So also have people bin warned that Alexa and other similar spying devices WILL spy on them...but like the woman,they don't care.They think it's a joke,but the joke's on them.
xpavar likes this.
post #93 of 116 Old 05-28-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5537 Post(s)
Liked: 3979
"Worried a third party may use you Alexa data for spam, clickbait, fake news, and data misuse? Don't worry. Look at these happy images of birthday parties, puppies, and mom's apple pie while remembering that just becuase we had a massive data breach last year despite being a multi billion dollar company which can easily afford top notch security, doesn't mean it will ever happen again. . . . Trust us; we aren't in business to make money from your data, we're here to make you happy."

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-28-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 116 Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c 2 View Post
it works for me, Denon on stand-by, me: "Alexa, play 'iHeartRadio' (whatever streaming service you've linked with Alexa app) on 'Banana' (whatever you've named your AVR in Alexa app)", and it takes Alexa about 2 seconds to wake my 4300H, switch to appropriate channel and start playing through my speakers connected via AVR.
I think I figured out, why it has not been working for me. I have been trying to play Spotify. According to the HEOS website, this is not (yet) supported. TuneIn seems to work fine.

The HEOS Alexa integration is rather limited at this point. Pretty disappointing...

____
Axel

post #95 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I agree. I didn’t catch that when I bought my 6400H. It’s a huge limitation for me. I hope Denon will add this capability very soon.

_______
Axel
Harmony stated for zone2/3 to work you must set up each zone as another device= 2 more receivers. Try this, i tricked Harmony for my other zones to come on by naming zone 2 command as Laserdisk ! it asked to take original laserdisk remote to learn command, i simply used the marantz remote and pushed the zone 2 power button,now it turns on zone 2 perfectly
post #96 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldef View Post
Harmony stated for zone2/3 to work you must set up each zone as another device= 2 more receivers. Try this, i tricked Harmony for my other zones to come on by naming zone 2 command as Laserdisk ! it asked to take original laserdisk remote to learn command, i simply used the marantz remote and pushed the zone 2 power button,now it turns on zone 2 perfectly
Can you tell me more about this? I have an AVR-X4300H with Zone 2 that I use a lot. However, I'm about to swap out the X4300H with a Marantz NR1608, this should be better right?

My question: Assume I set up the NR 1608. I currently use a Harmony One, but I have a Harmony Hub that I can use/set up for this purpose. Exactly how do I set up the NR1608 Zone 2 as a separate device in order to turn on with Alexa? Do I have to use the Alexa-friendly name like "Laserdisc" to turn on Zone 2?

Ideally, my wife/kids could ask Alexa to turn on Zone 2. I don't care if the volume is fix, and the Z2 source is fixed, too.
post #97 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Can you tell me more about this? I have an AVR-X4300H with Zone 2 that I use a lot. However, I'm about to swap out the X4300H with a Marantz NR1608, this should be better right?

My question: Assume I set up the NR 1608. I currently use a Harmony One, but I have a Harmony Hub that I can use/set up for this purpose. Exactly how do I set up the NR1608 Zone 2 as a separate device in order to turn on with Alexa? Do I have to use the Alexa-friendly name like "Laserdisc" to turn on Zone 2?

Ideally, my wife/kids could ask Alexa to turn on Zone 2. I don't care if the volume is fix, and the Z2 source is fixed, too.
you will need the Harmony Hub set up,I already have the max of 8 devices the Hub will control, If you have less than 8 devices,its easier to set up zone 2 as another device,same receiver just zone 2 commands,i just simply tricked it into zone 2 by telling it a false input of Laserdisk command and it accepted it and works, im assuming it is name sensitive to not accept (Zones) you still can tell alexa whatever you want to name the zone,as long as Harmony does not see it as a zone

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH Signitures & surrounds,etc.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
post #98 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you will need the Harmony Hub set up,I already have the max of 8 devices the Hub will control, If you have less than 8 devices,its easier to set up zone 2 as another device,same receiver just zone 2 commands,i just simply tricked it into zone 2 by telling it a false input of Laserdisk command and it accepted it and works, im assuming it is name sensitive to not accept (Zones) you still can tell alexa whatever you want to name the zone,as long as Harmony does not see it as a zone
Does it have to be Laserdisc? Or I can basically pick any other device, set Zone 2 as such, and give it an Alexa-friendly name?

I think I have all the hardware to make this scenario work:

Wife can say "Alexa, turn on the Patio" which is Zone 2 from the NR1608.
Wife can say "Siri, play Led Zeppelin on the Patio" which is using AirPlay 2 to direct an AppleTV 4 (in the "Patio" room) which is fed into an HDMI audio extractor to get optical output, connected to the NR1608.

^^ I basically do this today, but just using apps. I'd prefer using voice commands to simplify the experience for my family.
post #99 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Does it have to be Laserdisc? Or I can basically pick any other device, set Zone 2 as such, and give it an Alexa-friendly name?

I think I have all the hardware to make this scenario work:

Wife can say "Alexa, turn on the Patio" which is Zone 2 from the NR1608.
Wife can say "Siri, play Led Zeppelin on the Patio" which is using AirPlay 2 to direct an AppleTV 4 (in the "Patio" room) which is fed into an HDMI audio extractor to get optical output, connected to the NR1608.

^^ I basically do this today, but just using apps. I'd prefer using voice commands to simplify the experience for my family.
It can be any INPUT name that is not originally for your receiver,then the hub will tell you it needs to learn that input from its original remote, you simply use your receiver remote and teach it zone 2 or 3 power on but just dont name it a zone in harmony but you can for alexa Have Fun Today !
Sam S likes this.

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH Signitures & surrounds,etc.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
post #100 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It can be any INPUT name that is not originally for your receiver,then the hub will tell you it needs to learn that input from its original remote, you simply use your receiver remote and teach it zone 2 or 3 power on but just dont name it a zone in harmony but you can for alexa Have Fun Today !
Input name, or 'activity'? Or, am I setting up a new activity, with an input name (Laserdisc/other) that doesn't exist on the AVR? Then Harmony will ask to learn the input that it doesn't know how to switch to. Which I will teach from Zone 2 IR code.
post #101 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Input name, or 'activity'? Or, am I setting up a new activity, with an input name (Laserdisc/other) that doesn't exist on the AVR? Then Harmony will ask to learn the input that it doesn't know how to switch to. Which I will teach from Zone 2 IR code.
yes start out with a new activity,but when it asks for a command, click on "i dont see it" and it will ask to take original remote for whatever made up name you give it,but use the zone 2 power button for that made up name

post #102 of 116 Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes start out with a new activity,but when it asks for a command, click on "i dont see it" and it will ask to take original remote for whatever made up name you give it,but use the zone 2 power button for that made up name
Perfect, thanks! Looking forward to trying this out.
post #103 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I like Denon but I have to wonder how many people actually want alexa or anything like it built into there A/V receiver? The average person is lazy enough do we need to make it easier to be lazy? And do we really need it and do we really need the privacy risk that alexa and anything like it could subject us to? Right now I am considering a Marantz a/v receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-05 and that now has alexa built in. It will be awhile so I could still end up with a Denon or even a Yamaha, it's hard to say right now till I get really close to walking in the door and making the purchase. But I see it as something I do not need and do not want! I would be tempted to take the lid off and find the microphone and clip the wires going to it. How do we know what alexa takes in because for it to work it would have to have the microphone live at all times to be triggered. So how much of what is said in your household is it recording and sending to a server somewhere?

So question stands, How many of you out there actually want technology like Alexa that could be listening in and could be hacked?

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 Receiver, Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, 4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel, Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers, Advent Marbles, HSU VTF-3 MK5HP subwoofer. AudioQuest cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Harmony Elite Remote.
post #104 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I like Denon but I have to wonder how many people actually want alexa or anything like it built into there A/V receiver? The average person is lazy enough do we need to make it easier to be lazy? And do we really need it and do we really need the privacy risk that alexa and anything like it could subject us to? Right now I am considering a Marantz a/v receiver to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-05 and that now has alexa built in. It will be awhile so I could still end up with a Denon or even a Yamaha, it's hard to say right now till I get really close to walking in the door and making the purchase. But I see it as something I do not need and do not want! I would be tempted to take the lid off and find the microphone and clip the wires going to it. How do we know what alexa takes in because for it to work it would have to have the microphone live at all times to be triggered. So how much of what is said in your household is it recording and sending to a server somewhere?

So question stands, How many of you out there actually want technology like Alexa that could be listening in and could be hacked?
When you talk about "built in" Alexa in regards to Denon (et al), it's not about a built-in mic. The Alexa-ready functionality means that an Alexa device (that you buy from Amazon, and does have a mic/speakers) can interface/control an AVR via IP protocol and Alexa skills/APIs.

As far as being "lazy", it's not that at all. Have you ever handed a guest or a spouse an unfamiliar remote control and ask them to turn on speakers and get music playing on the patio? Even the best set up systems have a steep learning curve. But even a 5 year old can say "Alexa, turn on music to the patio and play Taylor Swift".
post #105 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
As mentioned you'll have nothing to fear if you don't buy and connect an outboard Alexa product to the Denon but I wanted to point out another issue besides hacking: all privacy guarantees a company promises us is thrown out the window if they go bankrupt. That is, that log of whatever we've said to Alexa, or just said while standing in that room, is now the property of whomever buys/inherits the defunct company's remaining assets and since they have no privacy agreement with us they are free to use or sell our private data however they want.
post #106 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
When you talk about "built in" Alexa in regards to Denon (et al), it's not about a built-in mic. The Alexa-ready functionality means that an Alexa device (that you buy from Amazon, and does have a mic/speakers) can interface/control an AVR via IP protocol and Alexa skills/APIs.

As far as being "lazy", it's not that at all. Have you ever handed a guest or a spouse an unfamiliar remote control and ask them to turn on speakers and get music playing on the patio? Even the best set up systems have a steep learning curve. But even a 5 year old can say "Alexa, turn on music to the patio and play Taylor Swift".
If the Alexa is not actually built into the receiver or tv then that is a relief. It may make things easier for a guest to use a system but there are lazy people in this world and as these so called smart home devices keep flooding in claiming convenience we in fact are more and more at risk from a security standpoint. I don't even trust the camera on my smart tv as I do not even have a ethernet cable hooked up to the smart tv. I also hate the fact a gave in and let them install a so called smart meter for the electricity. I love technology but to a point and technology after a certain point is not positive the humans in general. But if that Alexa is basically an add on that is just an external Alexa device then I am ok with that. So I can move forward with a future upgrade to a Marantz a/v receiver and not have to worry about it. I do not have many guests anyway and no one I know would just walk in and use my system anyway and I currently do not have any multi zones set up with my current receiver. I did have my pc hooked up via ethernet cable but someone in the house kept stepping on the cable so I disconnected the cable going to my 4K blu-ray player.

Quote:
As mentioned you'll have nothing to fear if you don't buy and connect an outboard Alexa product to the Denon but I wanted to point out another issue besides hacking: all privacy guarantees a company promises us is thrown out the window if they go bankrupt. That is, that log of whatever we've said to Alexa, or just said while standing in that room, is now the property of whomever buys/inherits the defunct company's remaining assets and since they have no privacy agreement with us they are free to use or sell our private data however they want.
And this is one of the big reasons I do not trust products like Alexa or anything like it! And besides companies have been caught doing things they shouldn't regarding personal data so I also do not trust them not to share or for that information not to be at risk via hacking. And the other point that you never know how much of a conversation is being captured but these Alexa devices. But as long as it is not an internal device and remains and external add on then I will be ok with getting that new receiver or tv as long as Alexa or anything like it is not built in.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 Receiver, Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, 4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel, Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers, Advent Marbles, HSU VTF-3 MK5HP subwoofer. AudioQuest cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Harmony Elite Remote.

Last edited by Dave Moritz; 06-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
post #107 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 12:08 PM

I'm a big privacy nut too. I defeated my iphone X's FaceID activation feature [to the best of my knowledge I'm the only one who has done this, but if anyone has a link suggesting otherwise, please let me know] and frankly I suspect I can type in my 6-digit unlock code faster, more consistently, with lower daily battery expenditure, and only when I want it to unlock.
---

There's a TV ad where a woman says, "Alexa, start my [brand and model of her car]" and every time I see it I think: "How is this faster and easier than then pressing a button on her key fob?"

What's next? "Alexa, open my refrigerator's door and then shut it 7 seconds later."

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-01-2018 at 12:26 PM.
post #108 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I'm a big privacy nut too. I defeated my iphone X's FaceID activation feature [to the best of my knowledge I'm the only one who has done this, but if anyone has a link suggesting otherwise, please let me know] and frankly I suspect I can type in my 6-digit unlock code faster, more consistently, with lower daily battery expenditure, and only when I want it too unlock.
---

There's a TV ad where a woman says, "Alexa, start my [brand and model of her car]" and every time I see it I think: "How is this faster and easier than then pressing a button on her key fob?"

What's next? "Alexa, open my refrigerator's door and then shut it 7 seconds later."

I don't consider it lazy when I ask Alexa "Play relaxing music in the bedroom". I don't always feel like getting my phone out, going through the hassle of "picking" something specific to listen to, making sure everything's on the right input, etc. If I can get things going in one sentence vs. opening up 2-3 apps and spend time poking around, then I'm all for it.
post #109 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM

There's a genre of music called "relaxing"?
post #110 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's a genre of music called "relaxing"?

Absolutely. What else would you consider the genre of music you hear when you go to the spa? And Alexa (and Siri!) are smart enough to know what to play if you say "play relaxing instrumental music".
post #111 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 PM

I just asked Siri [on my iphone X] that ["relaxing music"] and she said," I'm sorry, but I can't play music for a particular mood".

It took her an unusually long time to answer too so I guess she had to apply some serious thought to it and/or had to scan my entire library looking for the term "relaxing".

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-01-2018 at 01:05 PM.
post #112 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just asked Siri that ["relaxing music"] and she said," I'm sorry, but I can't play music for a particular mood".

It took her an unusually long time to answer too so I guess she had to apply some serious thought to it and/or had to scan my entire library looking for the term "relaxing".
Maybe my Siri works better? I say that exact phrase to my Apple HomePod on a regular basis. I also have a subscription to Apple Music, if that matters.
post #113 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 01:04 PM

I have no Apple Music subscription.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #114 of 116 Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no Apple Music subscription.
That must be it, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relax.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2410496  
m. zillch likes this.
post #115 of 116 Old 06-16-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Am I the only one that is going to have a hard time switching to voice commands to play music? I am so used to flipping through a collection to find what I want and I tend not to listen to playlists or pure shuffle mode. I kinda know what I want when I see it on a screen. I often don't remember individual song names and whatnot either.

I suppose it will take some getting used to...
m. zillch likes this.

Blazar!
post #116 of 116 Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM

I definitely need to surf through a list. It is pretty rare I just spontaneously think: "I want to watch Jaws".

Alexa: "Playing selected choice now. Enjoy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
alexa , Amazon , Denon , heos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page