Pioneer Elite FS-EB70 3.1.2 Atmos Soundbar with Play-Fi Demo at CEDIA 2016 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 09-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Hopefully they will add that. It would be nice to get 5.1 from this soundbar.
It could be that I wasn't presented with established a "Play-Fi Surround Master" because I only have the FS-EB70. If/when I invest in more DTS Play-fi speakers I'll give it another shot. But I'm not holding my breath on the FS-EB70 having "Play-Fi Surround Master" capabilties.

It is discouraging to see that the higher-end capabilities of DTS Play-fi are _not_ supported, e.g. Hi-Res Audio up to 24-bit/192KHz via Critical Listening mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Amazon has this soundbar on sale for $499 today. Can anyone who owns the Pioneer FS-EB70 answer a couple of questions please?

1) I see that it says that it supports HDR10 but will it also support Dolby Vision passthrough?
2) Anyone connect their game consoles to the device? If so does it add any latency to your games?

Thank you in advance.
post #33 of 49 Old 09-30-2017, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IF this gets the 5.1 surround ability I will DEFINITELY get it! I dont have much hope though. I use MusicFlow with the proprietary LG surround bar and 2 of their MusicFlow surround speakers. Although they are fairly easy to setup they constantly lose signal or go out of sync. I also have Polk which is Play-Fi and it has similar problems. Not as bad as MusicFlow but still problems even though they have their own app for Play-Fi.

This must be a very difficult engineering problem BUT it seems like SONOS can get it right and no one else can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
Amazon has this soundbar on sale for $499 today. Can anyone who owns the Pioneer FS-EB70 answer a couple of questions please?

1) I see that it says that it supports HDR10 but will it also support Dolby Vision passthrough?
2) Anyone connect their game consoles to the device? If so does it add any latency to your games?

Thank you in advance.
i bought it
it does all those things
except i can't seem i can't tell the sound difference
i think i need to play around with the settings.

it has 4 HDMI port too
so i have a pc, ps4, shied tv, a10 egreat. all connect and all does HDR out too
post #35 of 49 Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So has anyone tried using 2 wireless rears yet to see if 5.1 does work?
post #36 of 49 Old 01-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
i bought it
it does all those things
except i can't seem i can't tell the sound difference
i think i need to play around with the settings.

it has 4 HDMI port too
so i have a pc, ps4, shied tv, a10 egreat. all connect and all does HDR out too
Still haven't heard if anyone has done it yet? And if so if it even does work.
post #37 of 49 Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
operate soundbar without receiver

is it possible to operate soundbar without receiver?

I want to use atmos soundbar to improve pc audio. I mainly use soundbar for pc audio.

I contacted supoort and they said the sounbar need to connect to the receiver, the soundbar it self will not output audio if not attached the receiver. is that correct?
post #38 of 49 Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry to bump an old thread, anyone know if Pioneer ever planned to add Dolby Vision support to this unit??
post #39 of 49 Old 07-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I love Pioneer Brand and Pioneer FS-EB70 ELITE Network Sound Bar System is a great product, i am enjoying the smooth sound.
post #40 of 49 Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Play-Fi Surround Support

I recently contacted Pioneer Customer Service to urge them to add the support of Play-Fi Surround (to enable the sound bar as a Surround Master to add play-fi rear speakers). I got a reply from Ryan in their team saying the update if there will be one, has to come from DTS. So I think we need to contact (bombard) DTS to urge them provide the update for this "Master-capable" soundbar.

FYI, Here is the reply from Pioneer,

We are sorry at this point there is no plan on updating this system to support Surround play fi. This update will also be coming from play fi and not Pioneer.

Thank you
Bryan
post #41 of 49 Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winben View Post
I recently contacted Pioneer Customer Service to urge them to add the support of Play-Fi Surround (to enable the sound bar as a Surround Master to add play-fi rear speakers). I got a reply from Ryan in their team saying the update if there will be one, has to come from DTS. So I think we need to contact (bombard) DTS to urge them provide the update for this "Master-capable" soundbar.

FYI, Here is the reply from Pioneer,

We are sorry at this point there is no plan on updating this system to support Surround play fi. This update will also be coming from play fi and not Pioneer.

Thank you
Bryan
I contacted DTS Play-Fi not too long ago and they said Pioneer opted to NOT have the FS-EB70 unit as a Surround Master unit So now who is telling the truth here....Pioneer or DTS.

I also asked Pioneer on a separate call about supporting Dolby Vision. They said they have no information as of right now. Wasn't a direct no but I doubt it will happen.
post #42 of 49 Old 08-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrider14 View Post
I contacted DTS Play-Fi not too long ago and they said Pioneer opted to NOT have the FS-EB70 unit as a Surround Master unit So now who is telling the truth here....Pioneer or DTS.

I also asked Pioneer on a separate call about supporting Dolby Vision. They said they have no information as of right now. Wasn't a direct no but I doubt it will happen.
You probably should direct what you heard from DTS back to Pioneer and see what they say. But one thing is clear, that is this sound bar is physically capable to be a Play-Fi Surround Master and the reason it has not yet been enabled is likely due to marketing decision of either Pioneer or DTS or both. Hopefully, raising our pledges in every way possible may eventually push them to release a firmware update.
post #43 of 49 Old 08-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

When I purchased mine a while back Pioneer said would support wireless surround via Play-Fi. Guess was a lie!
post #44 of 49 Old 08-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
When I purchased mine a while back Pioneer said would support wireless surround via Play-Fi. Guess was a lie!
It is quite disappointed if at the end Pioneer doesn't provide Surround Support for this sound bar. After some tweeting, it sound quite well, but the sound field is somewhat limited due to most sound coming from the front and ceiling reflection.
post #45 of 49 Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winben View Post
It is quite disappointed if at the end Pioneer doesn't provide Surround Support for this sound bar. After some tweeting, it sound quite well, but the sound field is somewhat limited due to most sound coming from the front and ceiling reflection.
Yeah it would absolutely awesome if they added support for Surround. They need to add Dolby Vision support too! wishful thinking...

Another interesting tidbit from the convo I had on the phone with Pioneer. The tech who helped me had no idea what the FS-EB70 soundbar was. They had to put me on hold to pull up information. Wonder if that is a tell tale sign of ditching support for the hardware altogether.
post #46 of 49 Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
If all movies came in Atmos there would be room for debate. As it stands, so many more movies have a 5.1 mix, it's currently an unfair comparison.
I fail to see how 3.1.2 would be better than 5.1 in a soundbar.

If this soundbar really plays surround and atmos content on the same speakers then it is actually 5.1 and not 3.1.2. Perhaps they are just calling it 3.1.2 for marketing purposes... If it is really just dropping the surround content then it is likely worse than 5.1.

The way atmos works it would have the surround+atmos on the surround speakers with a standard non atmos 5.1 system. With a true 3.1.2 system it would lose the surround channels and have less content than with 5.1.

With a standard 5.1 system the atmos sounds would come from the back/sides (and fl/fr IIRC) speakers instead of the top but if both are using reflected sounds I wonder how much different 3.1.2 would be compared to 5.1.

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 08-16-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #47 of 49 Old 08-23-2018, 06:53 AM

New Firmware was pushed out this week. Looks like it only added an additional streaming app. Bummer...

CHANGE HISTORY:
Version 2119-8030-1050-0010
- Enhanced security.
- Adds support for Deezer HiFi.

Last edited by njrider14; 08-23-2018 at 08:41 AM.
post #48 of 49 Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith2007 View Post
I don't get the appeal of using a soundbar with something that supposed to be higher quality (atmos) than other audio formats.
Who said Atmos was about higher sound quality? It's about adding height channels and objects to make audio more three dimensional. Sound quality, as it has always been is primarily a limit of your speakers, proper amplification plus the recording quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
I fail to see how 3.1.2 would be better than 5.1 in a soundbar.

If this soundbar really plays surround and atmos content on the same speakers then it is actually 5.1 and not 3.1.2. Perhaps they are just calling it 3.1.2 for marketing purposes... If it is really just dropping the surround content then it is likely worse than 5.1.

The way atmos works it would have the surround+atmos on the surround speakers with a standard non atmos 5.1 system. With a true 3.1.2 system it would lose the surround channels and have less content than with 5.1.

With a standard 5.1 system the atmos sounds would come from the back/sides (and fl/fr IIRC) speakers instead of the top but if both are using reflected sounds I wonder how much different 3.1.2 would be compared to 5.1.

-Rich
I wasn't aware any surround system "dropped" ANY sound. It always folds the sound down into the available channels, although which channels it chooses to fold into may vary. DTS, in particular seems to try to fake phantom channels any which way it can. Thus, I'd imagine with 3.1.2, it would put surround information in the height channel as the nearest available channel to the "back" along with the front channels to fake a more enveloping surround field than without. This is no different than it putting height information in the lower channels if height ones aren't available (e.g. run DTS:X speaker location trailer; if height isn't there, the lower speakers play it instead. Why wouldn't it work in reverse if the surround speakers aren't available but height are? Back is back (or middle or whatever those bouncy things do) and high back is still probably better than no back just like low back is better than no height sounds in the back at all. But without testing it, I can't know this for sure. I just observed how my own 7010 deals with missing speakers when I change the amp layout and DTS is the most aggressive trying to fake anything it can (somewhat detrimental connecting two together as I'm sure you're aware).

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 7-5-19)
post #49 of 49 Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Who said Atmos was about higher sound quality? It's about adding height channels and objects to make audio more three dimensional. Sound quality, as it has always been is primarily a limit of your speakers, proper amplification plus the recording quality.

I wasn't aware any surround system "dropped" ANY sound. It always folds the sound down into the available channels, although which channels it chooses to fold into may vary. DTS, in particular seems to try to fake phantom channels any which way it can. Thus, I'd imagine with 3.1.2, it would put surround information in the height channel as the nearest available channel to the "back" along with the front channels to fake a more enveloping surround field than without. This is no different than it putting height information in the lower channels if height ones aren't available (e.g. run DTS:X speaker location trailer; if height isn't there, the lower speakers play it instead. Why wouldn't it work in reverse if the surround speakers aren't available but height are? Back is back (or middle or whatever those bouncy things do) and high back is still probably better than no back just like low back is better than no height sounds in the back at all. But without testing it, I can't know this for sure. I just observed how my own 7010 deals with missing speakers when I change the amp layout and DTS is the most aggressive trying to fake anything it can (somewhat detrimental connecting two together as I'm sure you're aware).
My point was that if it has surround and height information on the .2 then it is very similar to a 5.1 system because 5.1 will already play the height sounds on one of the base layer speakers. In reality

I might have been off base given that I was thinking in the context of a traditional ("real") speaker system instead of a soundbar where everything is a reflection. The surround sounds are likely coming from the L/R speakers instead which makes more sense.

If the virtual surround of a 3.1 system does a good job of emulating 5.1 then this system is more like a 3.1 virtual surround system with the extra .2 for atmos. How much better or worse than is than a 5.1 soundbar system is the question. Non atmos content would suffer but atmos content could be improved over 5.1.

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
cedia 2016 , Pioneer Elite , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page