Denon AVR-X6300H 11-Amp AV Receiver and HEOS AVR at CEDIA 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By ahmedreda
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 12 Old 09-23-2016, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9305 Post(s)
Liked: 16471
Denon AVR-X6300H 11-Amp AV Receiver and HEOS AVR at CEDIA 2016

With the Denon AVR-X6300H ($2200) AVR, AV enthusiasts can power an entire 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X immersive audio speaker system without the need for an external amplifier. While past AV receivers from the company have offered 11-channel processing, this is the first product to provide 11-channel amplification built-in.

Specifically, the AVR-X6300H offers power output rated at 140 watts into two channels, with an 8-ohm load, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with 0.05% THD. At with a 6-ohm load, Denon's specs are 175 watts into two channel, with 0.75% THD.

Is this the AVR you've been waiting for? Dolby Atmos and DTS:X addicts say yes. Photo by Mark Henninger

It's no surprise that a top-tier Denon sounds great, or that Dolby Atmos provides a compelling listening experience. The show demo delivered as it has in years past. Watching The Last Witch Hunter, as well as some shorts from Dolby's 2016 demo disc, everything worked as it should, with precise placement of sounds. The novel thing about it, as compared to demos of years past, was that the entire 7.1.4 experience was powered by the AVR alone.

The company also showed its AVR-X4300H ($1500) AVR, which does offer 7.1.4 processing, but only comes with nine amplifiers. You also give up a little bit of power per channel versus the higher-spec'd AVR-X6300H (125 watts into two 8-ohm channels with 0.05% THD, instead of 140 watts) but overall you get a lot of the same features in a very attractively-priced AVR. Add a powerful external amp for the front L/R speakers and you're in business.

Networked, lifestyle audio products represented the most obvious, inexorable trend at CEDIA 2016, where Denon had lots to show including a broad array of HEOS multi-room, wireless, networked products. The aforementioned new AVRS include HEOS capability, and then was an enigmatic box spotted on the show floor at CEDIA that Denon literally calls the HEOS AVR.

AV receiver of the future? Denon's HEOS AVR offers 5.1 with wireless surround using any HEOS speaker. Photo by Mark Henninger

The HEOS AVRs modern, minimalist chassis was completely free of buttons, dials, or displays—except for a large volume knob. All of the audio and musical magic occurs inside the aluminum chassis, which contains five channels of class-D amplification (60 watts per channel into 8 ohms). What sets it apart from your typical 5.1 AVR is that it can use any HEOS speaker as a wireless surround in a 5.1 system.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-23-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
finally! now I just have wait for this to trickle down into a mid-level unit with less advanced guts, less power, and a price tag under 1500, so that I can pick it up around 1000 when it's a year old and on clearance

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 12 Old 09-23-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Did Denon or any AVR maker elaborate on the decision to get rid of wides? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I may have missed it

Setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-23-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 3027
That Heos AVR is extremely nice looking and may find its way into the bedroom, no wait i mean it would make for a great second setup in another room in the house

No kidding I love it
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
It's about time one of the majors offered an 11 amp receiver. Hopefully it will force the others to follow.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Thanks Mark. IMO, the other main feature is the audyssey app and the ability to design/share multiple audyssey curves in a manner similar to Dirac..
I have Dirac and don't care much for HEOS, so I might grab the 6200 on clearance since the prices are below $1300 new. The 4300 is another nice alternative.
imagic likes this.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 10 Sealed UXL-18, 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
Thanks Mark. IMO, the other main feature is the audyssey app and the ability to design/share multiple audyssey curves in a manner similar to Dirac..
I have Dirac and don't care much for HEOS, so I might grab the 6200 on clearance since the prices are below $1300 new. The 4300 is another nice alternative.
I wish they highlighted room-correction features at shows. I have not seen the new implementation of Audyssey yet.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-24-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Specifically, the AVR-X6300H offers power output rated at 140 watts into two channels, with an 8-ohm load, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with 0.05% THD.

Why don't manufactures state WPC with ALL 11 channels driven? Their specifically stating its built with its own amplifier suggesting no need for external amps. But...at how many watts per channel? Does it have any Pre-Outs? How many subwoofer channels? Why not 4

Marantz 7702mk2, Panasonic 8000 w/ 130" AT Screen HTPC w/60 tb
DIY QSC SC-2150 L,C,R (10) QSC SR-8101 sides, rears & atmos/dst-x
DIY (4) Fusion Tempest, 88 Special
DIY (6) JBL cx12" UM-15", SI-18" subs, BFM Tuba HT, Dayton MKIII 15", (2) PA460 mbm
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
Specifically, the AVR-X6300H offers power output rated at 140 watts into two channels, with an 8-ohm load, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with 0.05% THD.

Why don't manufactures state WPC with ALL 11 channels driven? Their specifically stating its built with its own amplifier suggesting no need for external amps. But...at how many watts per channel? Does it have any Pre-Outs? How many subwoofer channels? Why not 4
Effectively what you have is a situation where AVR's are (mostly) all power supply limited, with what could be described as over-engineered amplifiers. The reason is because with real content, a situation where all of the speakers are called upon to simultaneously output peak levels is very rare. It's much more common for the center channel, or the L/R front channels to require the lion's share of the power.

While it's theoretically nice to have a power supply that can feed all the amplifier channels to their limit concurrently, and that's what stand-alone amps do, it is not really practical consideration for an AVR. It's more useful for any given channel to be able to draw a significant portion of the power available to it.

The reason why the all channels driven numbers not used should be self-evident. It would be a rather small number. But that's the other thing, most people don't really need all that much power. If you use bass management, and have some decent subwoofers, that spares the AVR a lot of effort.

I'd love to see an AVR that lets you dial-in four separate subs.
thehun likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-24-2016 at 03:00 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A big thumbs up on that idea, the endless stream of features are cool but they need to work on 2 to 4 subwoofer output bass management systems--not just extra jacks in mono.

My wish is they would rate their power output FTC style--two channels is fine. No 6 ohm garbage, 1 KHz or distortion higher than 0.2 percent to fake it and pump up the numbers. Onkyo does get the prize at 0.9 percent with only 1 channel driven 200 watts!

That is why they have people out there that test these things--be patient, all thing will be revealed.

Did you get a chance to place your hand on the top of the AVR? Run hot, cool or medium? 11 channels must be a bear to get decent cooling so one wonders how well it works.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2016, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I watched a video of D&M running a 11 channel (7.1.4) demo.
However, they ran multiple power amps instead of utilising the AVR's internal amplifiers.
They said this was because they were running multiple demos throughout the day.
A little odd, but then again if you have stack loads of power amps sitting around, why not try them?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Effectively what you have is a situation where AVR's are (mostly) all power supply limited, with what could be described as over-engineered amplifiers. The reason is because with real content, a situation where all of the speakers are called upon to simultaneously output peak levels is very rare. It's much more common for the center channel, or the L/R front channels to require the lion's share of the power.

While it's theoretically nice to have a power supply that can feed all the amplifier channels to their limit concurrently, and that's what stand-alone amps do, it is not really practical consideration for an AVR. It's more useful for any given channel to be able to draw a significant portion of the power available to it.

The reason why the all channels driven numbers not used should be self-evident. It would be a rather small number. But that's the other thing, most people don't really need all that much power. If you use bass management, and have some decent subwoofers, that spares the AVR a lot of effort.

Mark

They should publish both! While I agree that all ch driven isn't real world, I've seen this debate for over a decade and I still think an ACD spec is the most reliable indicator to the consumer of the true capability of the unit. I don't have a problem with a 2 ch rating as long as there is some reference to what the unit can do with an ACD rating. Sure, it's not going to be as impressive but it is both fair and accurate.

What I see is while adding more channels (good), there is fudging in a misguided effort to disguise physics. And let's be honest with each other, as both informed audio fans, this is becoming more prevalent since the move to 9 and now 11 ch amps and harkens back to the 60's & 70's bad era of IHF specs which were shown to be worthless compared to RMS, deceitful and easily can make a cheap budget amp look like a powerful one. And finally was dealt with on a regulatory level by the US govt. It's a bad trend. At least Denon is still using a 2 ch spec while others may have moved to a 1 ch spec (sigh). A 1 ch spec is worthless and what you'd expect on a $250 AVR NOT a multithousand dollar flagship no matter who makes it.

And while we're at it, Denon is now guilty of calling something a Plus when it's really a minus. Try "AL24 Plus"...not even mentioned in their manual now and on their website they describe it as AL24 upscaling/processing for the main L/R channels when it used to be on all channels! Not cool IMO. Last year's 6200 had AL24 on all channels IIRC and now it's limited to the fronts while on the 7200 it's still on all channels. It takes b*lls to call something that's really less a "Plus" in marketing lingo

When will the truth be told? and who will tell it? BTW- I'm not just dumping on D&M; I called out Pioneer for some of their own omissions in a new model.

A curmudgeon is back to posting on AVS

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 09-26-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Cedia , Denon , heos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page