Bose Spies on Users with Wireless App According to Class Action Lawsuit - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 01-03-2018, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Which I actually am quite happy about;

Yes, I'm serious.
Whatever floats your boat, bud. Glad it works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wow. I hope Bose does something to rectify this. I've always liked their products.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
It's shameful - very shameful, however, what do you think Google does? It collects data not from just the website searches, but also when you use your computer without using Google search. Additionally, it collects data from all its apps, from maps to youtube and everything in between. Any devices that you use that run on Android (TV's included) collect such data. Google then is able to collate this data to form a big picture about you. This collected data will exist forever, subjected to newer methods of data mining as they evolve. Same goes for Facebook, Apple, and a ton of other companies. Unfortunately this is the new reality.....

https://privacy.google.com/your-data.html
The fact you had an available link to post from Google's own site shows the difference between these two situations.

In the case of Google, they clearly outline what data they collect and how they use it. That keeps the consumer informed as to whether that's OK with them or not and whether that collection and usage is a good trade off for the services provided.

Further, in the case of Google, you can minimize what they know about you when using the site simply by not being signed in. They'll still know your location based on IP address and ISP information, but will have a harder time nailing down who you actually are.

Companies that collect information the way Bose was doing don't offer that same option or disclosure to the consumer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
The fact you had an available link to post from Google's own site shows the difference between these two situations.

In the case of Google, they clearly outline what data they collect and how they use it. That keeps the consumer informed as to whether that's OK with them or not and whether that collection and usage is a good trade off for the services provided.

Further, in the case of Google, you can minimize what they know about you when using the site simply by not being signed in. They'll still know your location based on IP address and ISP information, but will have a harder time nailing down who you actually are.

Companies that collect information the way Bose was doing don't offer that same option or disclosure to the consumer.
True, to some extent: Google now discloses the above only after a lot of pressure from the FCC and the Fines levied on them. Furthermore, they have so many apps and services in play on so many connected devices that they are still able to track the (casual) user in most cases. One of the ways, atleast on the computer is to either user in-private browsing mode to avoid storage of cookies or clear cookies after every session. Another option is to use a VPN service with exit nodes in the EU - better but not completely untraceable.

The honest truth is that someone or the other is always tracking when on the internet. Its nearly next to impossible for the average person to stay totally anonymous on the internet in most cases.
post #35 of 52 Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I don't use any Bose products but that sucks I guess. I'm not bothered.

Spoiler!
post #36 of 52 Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5121 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
We have two pair of Bose noise cancellation headphones. While Bose does not make accurate products (including these headphones) they are easily the best noise cancellation phones on the market (I've tried the other brands). They are the least of my worries.

Amazon's Alexa probably knows when I go to the bathroom, exit my home, eat lunch and the name of our dog.
post #37 of 52 Old 01-20-2018, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
We have two pair of Bose noise cancellation headphones. While Bose does not make accurate products (including these headphones) they are easily the best noise cancellation phones on the market (I've tried the other brands). They are the least of my worries.

Amazon's Alexa probably knows when I go to the bathroom, exit my home, eat lunch and the name of our dog.
I forgot my Bose noise cancelling headphones for a flight this week. I had forgotten how much I welcome the quiet from the headphones when I didn't have them this week.

As for them collecting information, I find it further erosion of our personal privacy. I will not have Alexa or similar in my home because I'm not openly welcoming a microphone that is specifically designed for the purpose of listening to me. That said, I find it highly likely my iDevices and laptop are listening to me and there's not a darn thing I can do about it.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #38 of 52 Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5121 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiflyfisher View Post
That said, I find it highly likely my iDevices and laptop are listening to me and there's not a darn thing I can do about it.
We know that our iDevices listen as you can now say "Hey Siri" to your iPhone without pushing any buttons.

Yet one more example of how "smart" George Orwell was !!!!
post #39 of 52 Old 01-20-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
We know that our iDevices listen as you can now say "Hey Siri" to your iPhone without pushing any buttons.

Yet one more example of how "smart" George Orwell was !!!!
That's why I turn off any voice activation for anything that has it. I also cover the webcams on laptops, tablets and web-enabled TVs.

I used to feel like I was being paranoid, but I'm not so sure anymore...
post #40 of 52 Old 04-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 47
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...B8k?li=BBnbklF

Audio-Parasound Halo Integrated/Cambridge Audio CXNv2/Yamaha BD-A1060/Monitor Audio Silver 300/SVS SB1000/Sennheiser HD600/Shure SRH1540
Video-Sony XBR900E/Sony PS4Pro/Microsoft XBOX One X/Oppo BDP-103/Roku+/Yamaha YAS-107/Emotiva BasX S10
post #41 of 52 Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A lawsuit filed in Chicago yesterday alleges that Bose collects private data from users of its wireless app and sells it without user permission. Click the link to read more: Bose Wireless Headphones Spy on Users Says Class Action Lawsuit
BOSE is not the only one spying on its customers.
post #42 of 52 Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 PM

Audio-Parasound Halo Integrated/Cambridge Audio CXNv2/Yamaha BD-A1060/Monitor Audio Silver 300/SVS SB1000/Sennheiser HD600/Shure SRH1540
Video-Sony XBR900E/Sony PS4Pro/Microsoft XBOX One X/Oppo BDP-103/Roku+/Yamaha YAS-107/Emotiva BasX S10
post #43 of 52 Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
What about Sony and the Samba app they throw in all their TVs? I believe I have read it still sends data back to their servers even if you disable it and I have read it takes screenshots every so often of what you are displaying. You have to actually delete the app using the ADb program to even attempt to stop this. That's messed up.

I am of the opinion all these companies are doing this spying crap and when I say all these companies I don't just mean the AV companies. I mean anything that has an online connection.
post #44 of 52 Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Every other connected app company spies on consumers that's the world we live in.

Yes Bose was wrong to do that without getting consent from the consumers.

Bose noise cancellation headphones are one of the best I have used.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
post #45 of 52 Old 04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant

No probably everything is now which is why IF YOU CAN RESIST IT,its wise not to have all the "latest" stuff! (Iphone,Ipad,etc)
post #46 of 52 Old 04-12-2018, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A lawsuit filed in Chicago yesterday alleges that Bose collects private data from users of its wireless app and sells it without user permission. Click the link to read more: Bose Wireless Headphones Spy on Users Says Class Action Lawsuit
Pretty sure no one said they're the "only" ones doing it... It's unwise to suggest that it's not a big deal because "others do too."
elmalloc likes this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #47 of 52 Old 04-13-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes only those who have been severly brainwashed think its no big deal!!

THE REST OF US ARE AWARE JUST HOW BAD IT IS!!

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #48 of 52 Old 04-14-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
BOSE-Boring Old S#@% Electronics

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #49 of 52 Old 05-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Anything wireless probably does this. I cringe when I see people having Google assistant in their homes or any of those devices.
I agree with that and this is why I do not have certain products in my home because people have no idea when those devices are listening and spying or when they could be used to spy even if your doing nothing wrong!
xpavar likes this.

HT System: Marantz SR-8012 Receiver, Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier, Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K TV, Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, 4K Apple TV 64GB, Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R), Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel, Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers, Advent Marbles, HSU VTF-3 MK5HP subwoofer. AudioQuest cables, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Harmony Elite Remote.
post #50 of 52 Old 05-03-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly........ People have been so dumbed down and conditioned THEY DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING and let them walk all over them.......

Its quite sad!!
Dan Hitchman and unretarded like this.

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #51 of 52 Old 05-25-2018, 02:37 PM

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/25/614470096/amazon-echo-recorded-and-sent-couples-conversation-all-without-their-knowledge?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

post #52 of 52 Old 06-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
smh, another example of a corporation abusing users. It's like a daily occurrence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Bose , quietcomfort 35 , wireless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page