THX Standard Website Offers Scoring and Comparisons of Audio/Video Products - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
does avs or reviewers of avs have any ability to confirm any tests?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Go to any of the power amps and click on the Burst Power item in the Product Scores list. You will find a detailed explanation and measurement results.

For example, go here and click on the Burst Power item in the Product Scores list.
Well either someone from THX read my post and corrected the site or they found it another way because not only have they added the Power Burst test description and test results that were NOT there this afternoon on any of the four multi-channel amps, they also corrected the description of the PVA7 from 200W/Channel to the correct 105W/Channel which I also mentioned in my post.

So the good news is, at least they're on top of making corrections to the website quickly as corrections are pointed out - though they still list the PVA7 as a 2002 model, so let's see if that gets updated too. Again it's all about attention to details.

SCG

Last edited by SoCalGuy-99; 05-03-2018 at 11:41 PM.
post #33 of 45 Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
does avs or reviewers of avs have any ability to confirm any tests?
Audioholics is one of the better sites for publishing amp and avr test results:

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews

They also publish sub and speaker test results:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews

And of course the Gold Standard for posting sub test results:

https://data-bass.com/systems

SCG

Last edited by SoCalGuy-99; 05-03-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 05-04-2018, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy-99 View Post
Agreed, not only that but their #1 tested amp out of only four initial multi-channel amps is a 2002 model Anthem PVA7 that 16 years old (??) and listed as being rated at 200W of power/channel at 8 ohms in their description (??) while Anthem list the current Anthem PVA7 at 125W 1-channel driven and 105W with all channels driven at 8 ohms (which THX at least got right under their spec section).

http://www.thxstandard.com/#!/catego...ifiers/sub/42/

http://www.thxstandard.com/#!/product/23/

https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu...a-7/page=specs

THX also lists Power Burst scores but provides no explanation of the test nor provides any test results under the measurement section - Seems like there's more work to be done because if you want to be a testing and scoring resource you got to get the details right!

Because if you're inconsistent and screw up the easy stuff - how do I know that you're consistent enough to get the hard stuff right?
There are numerous issues with the way they are reporting their amplifier measurements and doing their scorecard. I have a full article coming out next week that takes a closer look at this on Audioholics.com. Normally I wouldn't go to another forum to link up our content, but I believe it's important to bring this to light especially since THX is trying to operate as an "objective" 3rd party.

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala (GDS)
President, Audioholics.com
post #35 of 45 Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
With Razer Gaming PCs owning the THX brand this is just abuse of legacy fame. This looks just like any other review site, but with a once famous name attached to it.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #36 of 45 Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene DellaSala View Post
There are numerous issues with the way they are reporting their amplifier measurements and doing their scorecard. I have a full article coming out next week that takes a closer look at this on Audioholics.com. Normally I wouldn't go to another forum to link up our content, but I believe it's important to bring this to light especially since THX is trying to operate as an "objective" 3rd party.
I'll be on the lookout next week for the article on your site. Because thanks to the no-nonsense, straight forward, no hype, just the facts and the test results, with a willingness to compare and contrast different products from you at Audioiholics, Josh at Data-Bass, Vincent at Rtings, Mark and Scott here at AVS - I have two totally kick-ass a/v systems that perform at a stellar level for a cost much less than people in my extended circle.

I treasure high-performance and outstanding value and the 5 of you are my starting point when looking to keep abreast of the industry and when it's time to start researching new material to upgrade my equipment!
Gene DellaSala likes this.

SCG
post #37 of 45 Old 05-05-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 48
Why do they test an HS8 Yamaha vs the JBL LS305. Hardly seems like a fair comparison in terms of LF scoring?

Yeah, I'll disregard this site. I already have CR for measuring things they don't always understand.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #38 of 45 Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy-99 View Post
Agreed, not only that but their #1 tested amp out of only four initial multi-channel amps is a 2002 model Anthem PVA7 that 16 years old (??) and listed as being rated at 200W of power/channel at 8 ohms in their description (??) while Anthem list the current Anthem PVA7 at 125W 1-channel driven and 105W with all channels driven at 8 ohms (which THX at least got right under their spec section).

http://www.thxstandard.com/#!/catego...ifiers/sub/42/

http://www.thxstandard.com/#!/product/23/

https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu...a-7/page=specs

THX also lists Power Burst scores but provides no explanation of the test nor provides any test results under the measurement section - Seems like there's more work to be done because if you want to be a testing and scoring resource you got to get the details right!

Because if you're inconsistent and screw up the easy stuff - how do I know that you're consistent enough to get the hard stuff right?
I look forward to seeing it!

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #39 of 45 Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
With Razer Gaming PCs owning the THX brand this is just abuse of legacy fame. This looks just like any other review site, but with a once famous name attached to it.
I didn’t realize they owned the brand, I thought it was still tied to Lucas Film (which I supposed meant it was now Disney).

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #40 of 45 Old 05-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Liked: 59
I just finished writing this and sent to a few manufacturers for their comments and so far they are in agreement:
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-am...andard-website

This article will go live on Audioholics on Monday. Please let me know if I made any factual errors and I will correct before it goes on our homepage.
SoCalGuy-99 and Gorilla Killa like this.

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala (GDS)
President, Audioholics.com
post #41 of 45 Old 05-06-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
I just finished writing this and sent to a few manufacturers for their comments and so far they are in agreement:
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-am...andard-website

This article will go live on Audioholics on Monday. Please let me know if I made any factual errors and I will correct before it goes on our homepage.

Did you send it to Monoprice and are they in agreement.

Razer bought it to make money, Im a cynic and I approve of the below quote from your article.

"A cynic could conclude that THX is trying to get manufacturers to solicit their services in order to "improve” their products to get higher score card results. If successful, this could be quite lucrative for THX and could make their brand relevant again in consumer audio."

Thanks for linking the article and more importantly writing it for the masses to read.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #42 of 45 Old 05-06-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I'm surprised to see the Emotiva XPA-7 fare so poorly against the competition, I had been under the impression that it was a well regarded design.
In limited experience I have found their amps have a higher noise floor than then best ones. So that seems fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I've been saying that the AHB2 is a great amp,
If they discussed that one at all without a giant bold disclaimer at the very very top of the review, that throws their whole enterprise into corrupt disrepute. The reason of course is that the Benchmark amp uses THX technology.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #43 of 45 Old 05-06-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
No factual errors to report on my end and your analysis/evaluation exceeded my expectations and the article speaks for itself - also liked how you peppered it with humorous pics.

Thanks for doing this as I found several inconsistencies and discrepancies from a cursory review of their site which made me question the accuracy of their detailed measurements. And I sure don't want to go back to the bad old days of manufacturers listing amps at 250W per channel* and * means tested at 1khz, 1-channel driven at 2 ohms for 10ms with 10% THD+N

If I may summarize your article for the Layman or the TLDR crowd:

""On the surface, this (site) seems like a great idea. It's obvious they've put considerable effort into creating a database of products they've measured that consumers can search and directly compare. Yes, we need something like this! I commend THX's effort in attempting to provide a method of objectively comparing product performance measured by a single source that allegedly tests all of the products under the same test conditions and with the same test rig. However, their procedure is in desperate need of improvement and they should aspire for greater transparency and actual objectivity with their scorecard""

So it will be interesting to see if this becomes a good resource or just more Marketing hype

Lastly, would love to also get Vincent from Rtings' feedback on their HDTV test results.

SCG
post #44 of 45 Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Upon further exploring of their new THX Standard website, there are some really useful measurements for many popular amps and the amp ranking makes a lot of sense to me; no comment on the TV ranking though.

Those that say they can't hear the difference in THD just have the improvement masked by a variety of factors such as their room, preamp distortion, speaker distortion, etc... I suspect the AHB2 will be the top amp measured for a very long time. .0002% THD at 1 Watt (AHB2) versus .03% THD of a commonly recommended amp: that's a about 40dB improvement! How can that not be audible if you have everything else optimized?

Not everyone wants to sell their car to have a enough AHB2 amps for a surround system. I also think the ATI ncore amps would perform well, I wish THX would measure them.

There is a lot of BS thrown around on the internet so I'm glad to see THX make consistent amp measurements so a purchaser can at least have a way to compare amps and even study and compare measurements if they want. To me THD at low levels, IMD and noise floor are very important and often overlooked by many reviewers.

Emotiva Gen3 measurements:

Anthem PVA 7:

NAD M22

Benchmark AHB2:

Emotiva Gen3:

Anthem PVA 7:

NAD M22:

Benchmark AHB2:

Noise:
Emotiva Gen3:

Anthem PVA7:

NAD M22:

Benchmark AHB2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I've been saying that the AHB2 is a great amp, but there is always someone that has some subjective opinion about the amps sound and how its no good. Still using mine and it sounds excellent and obviously measures excellent as well. it's so good that it is whisper quiet even with horns. I would use no other amp at this point and I consider it the pinnacle of all amp technology.

I also have the NAD M27 with Ncore and these are also very good, just not as quiet as the AHB2. They are cheaper per channel which becomes a factor for Atmos.

Today, I would likely go for the ATI Ncore multichannel if cost were a factor.

Cost no object, a rack full of AHB2's would be "best" but clearly overkill for anything beyond front soundstage speakers.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #45 of 45 Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
promising, but for me it's missing the most critical part of any review site, and that's measurements of my current gear...

to me, anything like this HAS to be considered a relative comparison. i was looking at the tv's, but without knowing where my current display ranks, i can't be certain if a score of 60 is good enough, or going to result in an immediate return.

anything that is consistently done, and has well explained results is a nice thing though. and from what i've seen so far, this will be a tool i'll use. still kinda figuring out how to read some of the results(looks like pics are highly exaggerated??) and once more models are done that'll help out a lot.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page