Comcast Working on Video Streaming Box for Broadband - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 1 Post By wiyosaya
  • 3 Post By JohnAV
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Brian Hampton
  • 1 Post By romper
  • 1 Post By DigitalGriffin
  • 2 Post By adrummingdude
  • 1 Post By Theheadsn
  • 1 Post By DigitalGriffin
  • 2 Post By Dan Hitchman

post #1 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Comcast Working on Video Streaming Box for Broadband

So, here's a bit of breaking news about Comcast, the cable and broadband Internet giant. The company is working on a streaming platform for its Internet broadband customers that will deliver an experience similar to its X1 cable service, without the need to subscribe to cable.

The new device will allow customers to utilize apps such as Netflix, Amazon prime and YouTube but it will not have an app store per se. It's not yet known what the app selection will be.

Interestingly, this is one way Comcast will be able to deliver 4K, HDR and 3D immersive sound to its customers. I can’t say how, but I’ve seen this system in and it is real.

Another aspect of the new platform is that Comcast sees it as a gateway to the connected home and IoT "Internet of Things" connectivity. The demo I witnessed at the headquarters included emulation of one will be like to have your TV check to make sure that all doors are locked, turn on the lights, open the automated window shades, etc.

According to an article by CNBC, Comcast plans to market this particular product to Internet-only customers. The company sees this as its primary opportunity for growth going forward when it comes to telecommunications. Comcast says that in the third quarter of 2018 and has added 334,000 residential broadband customers to its existing total of 25 million.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-08-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It will be interesting to see where this goes. I have to wonder about price for the box, and a price for the service, if any. As well, is this only going to work if your ISP is Comcast?

I cannot say that I would go for this myself as I have an HTPC that can do most of what the box will do.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
So, here's a bit of breaking news about Comcast, the cable and broadband Internet giant. The company is working on a streaming platform for its Internet broadband customers that will deliver an experience similar to its X1 cable service, without the need to subscribe to cable.
Engadget had a paragraph that is good perspective on this news,

Quote:
There's a big gamble involved. When your TV, game console and other dedicated devices already have access to many of these services (including Comcast's own), why would you pay for a Comcast device that does the same things but won't let you install the apps you like? If this device does ship as planned, though, it would represent Comcast further acknowledging the changing nature of its business. It's still bleeding conventional TV customers even as it adds broadband subscribers. This would give it a device to sell or rent to those internet-only viewers and soften the blow of people abandoning traditional TV service.
IMHO I think the days of the custom ISP cable modem set top boxes for SD/HD or 4K is in its sunset days. Most people with good 4K capable w/HDR streaming boxes look upon Comcast set top boxes as expensive/inferior, not to mention too large!

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Engadget had a paragraph that is good perspective on this news,

IMHO I think the days of the custom ISP cable modem set top boxes for SD/HD or 4K is in its sunset days. Most people with good 4K capable w/HDR streaming boxes look upon Comcast set top boxes as expensive/inferior, not to mention too large!
Going out on some hypothetical limbs here...

Comcast could simply make it cheaper to get streaming live TV plus the most common apps, all with broadband speed and no data limit, for its own devices.

Given how many people depend on it for Internet-only service, and how many people only need a few of the most common apps to be happy, that could be a competitive advantage.
Pitbull0669 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Going out on some hypothetical limbs here...

Comcast could simply make it cheaper to get streaming live TV plus the most common apps, all with broadband speed and no data limit, for its own devices.

Given how many people depend on it for Internet-only service, and how many people only need a few of the most common apps to be happy, that could be a competitive advantage.
Agree, though as has already been pointed out, most of the apps Comcast is discussing are already on pretty much every TV, media player and gaming console on the market. Having yet another device able to stream YouTube or Netflix is worthless to most people.

Now, live TV and sports, that's a different matter, and hopefully one they'll do right.

All in all, I feel that Comcast will adapt to whatever they need to and the real victims here are cable networks. So much great programming comes from them, but how many people are going to purchase access tp those channels a-la-cart?

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #6 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
^ On various OS’s you already have Xfinity Streaming App to comcast live TV and VoD, if they had a simple box that you rent that gives you that environment or on a 4k Streaming box, do really need the existing set-top boxes?

Oppo Beta Group
post #7 of 23 Old 11-08-2018, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
^ On various OS’s you already have Xfinity Streaming App to comcast live TV and VoD, if they had a simple box that you rent that gives you that environment or on a 4k Streaming box, do really need the existing set-top boxes?
No, you wouldn't. Which is why presumably Comcast is going to start by marketing these to people who don't have cable, only Internet service. But it's not hard to imagine the company, long-term, phasing out the traditional cable boxes alltogether.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 23 Old 11-09-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
No, you wouldn't. Which is why presumably Comcast is going to start by marketing these to people who don't have cable, only Internet service. But it's not hard to imagine the company, long-term, phasing out the traditional cable boxes alltogether.
like 4 months.
imagic likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It will give them another avenue for their Home Security biz where they hope to see growrh.
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post
It will give them another avenue for their Home Security biz where they hope to see growrh.
All Comcast messaging points in that direction. Comcast wants in on IoT, with home security as a focus, definitely.

Also, calling Comcast a "cable company" will soon sound as anachronistic as calling Tesla a "horseless carriage company."

It's becoming something much, much more than a way to subscribe to HBO.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 23 Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

The new device will allow customers to utilize apps such as Netflix, Amazon prime and YouTube but it will not have an app store per se. It's not yet known what the app selection will be.

Interestingly, this is one way Comcast will be able to deliver 4K, HDR and 3D immersive sound to its customers. I can’t say how, but I’ve seen this system in and it is real.

Another aspect of the new platform is that Comcast sees it as a gateway to the connected home and IoT "Internet of Things" connectivity. The demo I witnessed at the headquarters included emulation of one will be like to have your TV check to make sure that all doors are locked, turn on the lights, open the automated window shades, etc.

According to an article by CNBC, Comcast plans to market this particular product to Internet-only customers. The company sees this as its primary opportunity for growth going forward when it comes to telecommunications. Comcast says that in the third quarter of 2018 and has added 334,000 residential broadband customers to its existing total of 25 million.
Way too little and way too late with way too much competition. The only way this would work is if they throttle the competition. But a company like Comcast would never be guilty of throttling data. Am I right?
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post
Way too little and way too late with way too much competition. The only way this would work is if they throttle the competition. But a company like Comcast would never be guilty of throttling data. Am I right?
They certainly never throttle my bill.

Seriously, renegotiating with comcast every time they jack my rate feels like buying a car....and regarding the security subscription that someone motioned above, they're always trying to push that on me along with a home phone. Really...a home phone...maybe even with a cord.
Jonas2 and DigitalGriffin like this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #13 of 23 Old 11-10-2018, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 53
This reminds me too much of when mining companies used to pay their employees in money only good at the company stores. I have a feeling this would give them more power then they could just jack up the cost more for internet.
DigitalGriffin likes this.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Depending on whether or not it had the ability to add apps/what's already included, I may or may not be interested. I would like to see where it goes though.

Quote:
Comcast set top boxes as expensive/inferior, not to mention too large!

Plus, the monthly "rental" fee......gimme a break! I already don't have a DVR version to save $$$. Granted, what I have is not much bigger than an AppleTV. Little bit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Seriously, renegotiating with comcast every time they jack my rate feels like buying a car....and regarding the security subscription that someone motioned above, they're always trying to push that on me along with a home phone. Really...a home phone...maybe even with a cord.

Ha, yeah. My "negotiations" are coming up soon..... But, I do still have a landline....yes, I pay for a landline......cord and all!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #15 of 23 Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well comcast can get bent. I'm cutting the cord on my mom's basic video package where she pays $80/month for the 3 channels she watches. And I certainly won't use their @#[email protected]# set top box because everything they give you is inferior @#%[email protected]
Rex Steinkuller likes this.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-15-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I like the way Comcast is doing things and I like their X1 4K set top box and it helps that my wife works for them!! LOL. My wife said they are going to get rid of the set top boxes in the near future but didnt say when plus they will be adding Amazon Prime movies to their X1 app lineup soon as well.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-15-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Comcast? Home security? In the same sentence? Exactly one year ago, in one of Comcast’s bi-monthly demonstrations of their inability to keep their system up in this new development a fit of rage struck after the 2 weeks of intermittent service deteriorated to an out of service condition for a week. All the internet, tv, phone and security system gear in hand I visited the Comcast store and canceled. When I ticked out the months since install they said that’s not the way they count and tried to overcharge the cancellation. Nonetheless ten days later we received a call on Ooma from Comcast home security who wanted to let us know our system was down and to repair our internet. Once again I must ask: Comcast? Home security? In the same sentence?
post #18 of 23 Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The beginning our box or no internet

Sony 65inch 900F, Apple TV4k, Xbox one S, sonos 5.1
post #19 of 23 Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I get more stuff OTA! (near Atlanta) IE:Comet, GET TV, Retro, FAM, FRANCE24.com ...etc. I can't stream these via comcast.

Last edited by Rex Steinkuller; 12-03-2018 at 06:20 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4747 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Unless Comcast starts playing by actual Net Neutrality rules (even though they’re now dead thanks to this bought and paid for government) and drops their data caps... they can suck it.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #21 of 23 Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As a point of clarification, the original story said Comcast was looking at possibly integrating X1 into other platforms, such as smart TVs, but the fact is that X1 is an OS at its core, so it's techincally possible that it *could* be integrated with smart TVs and other kinds of devices that use an OS, but apparently that is not something that Comcast is actively pursuing at the moment. That part of the story was changed to reflect that.

Winter is a season of recovery and preparation.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Unless Comcast starts playing by actual Net Neutrality rules (even though they’re now dead thanks to this bought and paid for government) and drops their data caps... they can suck it.
Net Neutrality isn't like the name implies. It's just more government control and gov control never works out well.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4747 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyes View Post
Net Neutrality isn't like the name implies. It's just more government control and gov control never works out well.

So greed-based corporate control is even better, eh?
wmcbrine and noah katz like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
broadband streaming , Comcast , internet , x1 cable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page