Is OLED Burn-In a Big Problem? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 214Likes

post #271 of 290 Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
If I paid multi-thousands of dollars for a display only to have my normal usage destroy it, I would be beyond p.o.'d. I'll deal with a little off angle degradation for not having to ever worry about it.
I have an OLED and I don't worry about it. But then I don't watch CNN all day (for aa number of reasons), and I don't have my OLED Light at 80. And to some extent "normal usage" is an individual thing. It is not "normal usage" for an OLED to watch news channels all day with news tickers on the screen, as the OLED manufacturers tell you not to do that. If you want to watch news all day or things with omnipresent banners or bright logos, then definitely get an LCD.

I actually have an LCD for another room that I got for more varied use. The picture isn't as good, and the viewing angles suck, but it is a set that is appropriate for that environment and what it is used for. And I'm happy with its performance for what I paid. But when I want the best picture for movies and TV watching and sports with good black levels, I prefer the OLED.

P.S. I also don't take by BMW sedan off roading.
TravisPNW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 290 Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I was never on geek-squad. I worked in the warehouse section and helped out in electronics occasionally.

But yeah, these were earlier plasma sets.....I worked there around 2002 or 2003. And back then the LCDs had horrible viewing angles...so bad that you could barely even see the picture, let alone get some loss of color. LCD viewing angles these days are absolutely fantastic by comparison. The small amount of washout you get off angle is minute. However, the burn-in issue....that's just something I can't shake since the old days. If I paid multi-thousands of dollars for a display only to have my normal usage destroy it, I would be beyond p.o.'d. I'll deal with a little off angle degradation for not having to ever worry about it.

If you paid multi-thousands for a display, under normal usage, it won’t be destroyed. I don’t think Best Buy store settings are typical or normal for home usage are they? I’m not aware of any reputable pro calibrator advocating for scorch mode or “vivid” picture settings to get the most accurate picture.

I think it may be more fair to say that in typical living conditions, indoor, OLED is fine. But if you’re watching tv outside or under several fluorescent lights that require you to crank up the setting so high that image burn-in may very well occur, go with LCD. Or, if you game or use a computer primarily as your source material, use common sense with respect to burn in and be mindful of it. Otherwise, this really isn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TravisPNW likes this.
post #273 of 290 Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
If I paid multi-thousands of dollars for a display only to have my normal usage destroy it, I would be beyond p.o.'d.
I wouldn't buy a Bentley if my normal driving was track days anymore than I'd buy a GT2 if my normal driving was stop-and-go commuting. My normal TV viewing, over 5000 hours on a C7, is a dozen movies a month, 50% HDR gaming with static HUDs, all done with settings that produce the most accurate picture, and there's no burn in or image retention. My eyesight is good, I don't watch CNN, and I never place any TV in the path of direct sunlight (so OLED light is never over 40). I also never had burn-in in 12 years of plasma TV usage, and temporary image retention is much less on this OLED that either of the plasmas I owned.
smitty, lorenzo1000 and TravisPNW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 290 Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I've owned an 55" A1E for 18 months now, an open box unit at that, with zero screen problems. So my answer is burn in is not a big problem for me. Owning this television in my opinion is definitely worth the risk.
lorenzo1000 likes this.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #275 of 290 Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
However, the burn-in issue....that's just something I can't shake since the old days. If I paid multi-thousands of dollars for a display only to have my normal usage destroy it, I would be beyond p.o.'d. I'll deal with a little off angle degradation for not having to ever worry about it.

I'm up to 2500 hours of normal usage on mine... and I don't have any BI. I also don't use my panel to watch CNN. It was calibrated to view the movie library in my sig as well as some occasional non-news channel cable broadcasts.

Pretty much agree with all the above posters on this page... Not much else to see here. OLED is most definitely worth it. For the CNN junkies reading this... don't take this BMW sedan off roading... just buy a cheap LCD.

lorenzo1000 and anwsmh like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #276 of 290 Old 04-24-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I'm up to 2500 hours of normal usage on mine... and I don't have any BI. I also don't use my panel to watch CNN. It was calibrated to view the movie library in my sig as well as some occasional non-news channel cable broadcasts.

Pretty much agree with all the above posters on this page... Not much else to see here. OLED is most definitely worth it. For the CNN junkies reading this... don't take this BMW sedan off roading... just buy a cheap LCD.

Thats what I have been doing. Buying cheap LCDs.

I watch all manner of content. Movies, games, streaming and even occasionally some news. I am most worried about the games.

But my LCDs have served me well in that regard. I am quite satisfied with my latest purchase after I got it dialed in.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #277 of 290 Old 04-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
My calibrated OLED is very bright and has had no issues with burn-in at 6000 hours.

HDR:
Oled Light - 100
Contrast - 92
Brightness - 50

HDR Game (User)
Oled Light - 100
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 50

ISF Expert (Bright Room)
Oled Light - 58
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 51

I can only attest to my own experience. Close to 2000+ hours of HDR gaming is a good torture test for an OLED. I truly believe that a ISF calibrator has a lot of other benefits besides color accuracy. A lot of varied content also helps. If I watched news channels for half of the day, that would be the one thing that would make me reconsider an OLED.

They have NEWS on TV ? My next tube will be OLED. We only watch moves or stream HD content.

ASROCK H67 GE / HT/Core i3
Emotiva XPA2 Gen2 x2
Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY
Emotiva UMC 200
2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY
post #278 of 290 Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I’d say half of what is watched are the cable news channels. Still, no burn in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #279 of 290 Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Lot's of references here to "Buy a cheap LCD" if you want to use a TV normally. One could also buy a flagship LCD/LED comparable to your O/LED and probably be more than satisfied. I am because the picture quality is on par and at times superior without the fear of the Big Burn-In Problem.
Brian Hampton likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1809 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 18 / DVDFab Player 3/5 / KODI videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #280 of 290 Old 04-27-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Lot's of references here to "Buy a cheap LCD" if you want to use a TV normally. One could also buy a flagship LCD/LED comparable to your O/LED and probably be more than satisfied. I am because the picture quality is on par and at times superior without the fear of the Big Burn-In Problem.
I don't think people are saying to buy a cheap LCD if you want to use a TV "normally." I think one can use an OLED for "normal" viewing without serious risk of burn-in -- although admittedly what is "normal" for one person might be a bit abnormal for another. Rather, I think people are saying if you want to watch news channels all day, or you constantly watch channels with scrolling at the bottom of the screen (or material with bright static logos) than you should consider a cheap LCD. You don't need a high quality TV to get what you need from CNN ( assuming you need any of that stuff - LOL).

I agree that many of the top-of-the-line LCD's provide an excellent picture. Still, I disagree that the picture quality is on par and at times superior to OLED. IMHO, and in the opinion of most A/V experts, OLED provides the best picture -- but there are tradeoffs for that. This is just like most things in life. Nothing is perfect and you have to decide what is most important to you.
post #281 of 290 Old 04-27-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
It's more like buy a cheap LCD if you just want to watch cable news, which is very good advice from a cost/quality standpoint. "Normal" went away when TV's went from analog to digital.

For those that continue with the OLED vs LCD banter, the HDMI spec tells all with it's 2 options for Premium certification: 4K TVs must have either a 1000-nit peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level (to cater for the high brightness of LCD TVs), or a 540-nit peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level. "Normal" people have never read this and simply don't know what they're buying or how to use it to it's best potential. But given that OLEDs have 2 orders of magnitude higher contrast ratio they literally are the best quality one can purchase.
post #282 of 290 Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked: 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
It's more like buy a cheap LCD if you just want to watch cable news, which is very good advice from a cost/quality standpoint. "Normal" went away when TV's went from analog to digital.

For those that continue with the OLED vs LCD banter, the HDMI spec tells all with it's 2 options for Premium certification: 4K TVs must have either a 1000-nit peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level (to cater for the high brightness of LCD TVs), or a 540-nit peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level. "Normal" people have never read this and simply don't know what they're buying or how to use it to it's best potential. But given that OLEDs have 2 orders of magnitude higher contrast ratio they literally are the best quality one can purchase.
Depends what kind of viewing environment you're watching in. OLEDs are still pretty well a dark room TV.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #283 of 290 Old 04-30-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Depends what kind of viewing environment you're watching in. OLEDs are still pretty well a dark room TV.
I think that I and other OLED owners would probably take issue with this assertion. I don't have any problem watching my OLED in a fairly bright room with about five windows -- a room that is adjacent to a kitchen with about seven windows. The picture is plenty bright. I do close the blinds in the TV room, but they still let a fair amount of light through and it is still bright enough to read and perform other tasks. In other words, it is not dark. And many folks on the OLED threads have also confirmed that OLED's are just fine in daytime or in a room that is reasonably bright.

There is no doubt that LCD's can reach a higher level of absolute brightness. But I have my OLED Light setting at 25 out of 100, and I have no issues. And with HDR, my wife often asks me to turn the brightness down.
cathodeRay likes this.
post #284 of 290 Old 05-01-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
My TV is in a west facing room with 7 windows, blinds at 50%, I use 35 for SDR/gaming (in the afternoon too), and 45-50 for HDR/DV.
post #285 of 290 Old 05-01-2019, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I only use my media room tv to game so for me OLED is out so I went Q9FN. However, If I was just using it for content watching then I most def would of went OLED.
post #286 of 290 Old 05-04-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keabrown79 View Post
I only use my media room tv to game so for me OLED is out so I went Q9FN. However, If I was just using it for content watching then I most def would of went OLED.
I play games an obscene amount. After living with LCOS, LCDs and OLED, I'm never going back to anything that doesn't have the black levels that OLED has.
post #287 of 290 Old 05-06-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 741
This unit at Best Buy has me like OLED -> no thanks.

(screen is supposed to be a single color)

I do have a plasma with Roku in the bedroom and LED set for PS4 and WiiU downstairs. My main system uses SXRD front Projector. I do like organic food but I'll skip Organic LED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2563152  
EDJK and brazen1 like this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-06-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #288 of 290 Old 05-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a Samsung Plasma from 2002.... use it everyday.... no burn in. Having said that I would not buy an OLED at these prices until burn in is a thing of the past.
post #289 of 290 Old 05-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
4850 hrs 80/20 movies/tv, no issues here on ours. Think this is extreme use case.
post #290 of 290 Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Not a big problem but the risk is there when you decide to buy a OLED Tv. Everyone's viewing habits are different. I prefer not to allow that possibility and stay away. Wearing or as i like to think dying a little bit each time you watch it is a turn off as well for me. Then again nothing last forever. to each their own.
Brian Hampton and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page