Is OLED Burn-In a Big Problem? - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes

post #331 of 409 Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
OLED Light setting?
What's the settings got to do with it? When are you guys going to just admit you got burned with this technology, no pun intended. This is a organic technology, burn in will happen and you have no control over that happening no matter how you treat your TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 409 Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I don't care if tv will serves the term i need. Plasma tvs live for 8-10 years without problem. If my oled will endures for 5-7 years it's enough for me. Just enjoying best pq right now.
Karl Maga likes this.

Last edited by Dimon.Zorg; 07-19-2019 at 06:07 AM.
post #333 of 409 Old 07-19-2019, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvinelli View Post
What's the settings got to do with it? When are you guys going to just admit you got burned with this technology, no pun intended. This is a organic technology, burn in will happen and you have no control over that happening no matter how you treat your TV.
Never had a burn in issue with my 1080i CRT, my plasma, or on my 6000 hour OLED, and all were used 50% at least for gaming with static HUDS. High OLED light levels with static images (mostly just red or red based) are the common denominators for 2016 burnin issues. Improvements were made for 2017, big changes were made in 2018, a few changes were made in 2019. So far, the 2017s at 2 to 3 years old are nowhere near the issue level of the 2016s, but people are learning, and it's not an issue for the average user or most users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 409 Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Too much ignorance in the post to merit a response.
post #335 of 409 Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
High OLED light levels with static images (mostly just red or red based) are the common denominators for 2016 burnin issues.
Yes, OLED light levels make a difference and informed and intelligent adults are able discuss and exchange information on these and other settings in order to increase our knowledge of the technology. Thanks for your comments.
Karl Maga likes this.
post #336 of 409 Old 07-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are OLED's organic versus inorganic?

This may be totally irrelevant but the first projector I purchased was a Proxima and it had organic LCD panels. After about two years they started to seriously degrade. Fortunately I had a three year warranty and got them replaced. Later the industry started touting inorganic LCD panels which are not supposed to degrade like the organic panels. I have yet to see any of the inorganic LCD panels in the projectors I have purchased degrade and I have had several running for over four years.

I seem to recall reading that OLED panels are based on an organic design and if so could they could be subject to the degrade issues I experienced with early LCD projectors. I love the concept of OLED but what I have been seeing posted here, it appears they are organic and seem to be having the same issues of the organic LCD panels.

Can anyone verify this?
post #337 of 409 Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Master View Post
This may be totally irrelevant but the first projector I purchased was a Proxima and it had organic LCD panels. After about two years they started to seriously degrade. Fortunately I had a three year warranty and got them replaced. Later the industry started touting inorganic LCD panels which are not supposed to degrade like the organic panels. I have yet to see any of the inorganic LCD panels in the projectors I have purchased degrade and I have had several running for over four years.

I seem to recall reading that OLED panels are based on an organic design and if so could they could be subject to the degrade issues I experienced with early LCD projectors. I love the concept of OLED but what I have been seeing posted here, it appears they are organic and seem to be having the same issues of the organic LCD panels.

Can anyone verify this?
Well, OLED means "Organic LED".

Dave

post #338 of 409 Old 07-27-2019, 05:44 AM

Definition: Organic. "relating to or denoting compounds containing carbon"
post #339 of 409 Old 07-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
OLED Light setting?

Quote:

Quote:
Too much ignorance in the post to merit a response.

I'll second your comment. The fact he even asked that question tells me all I need to know... LOL

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #340 of 409 Old 07-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Your Oled will likely last longer than you want it to with that habit...lol. I agree, if a movie watching machine is what folks want...Oled IS the absolute best choice, at least at the moment. That's really what they were made for, the best possible IQ for movies. Marketed to the masses...for all kinds of use...sadly not so much Folks who can buy 2 tv's. one for general use and one exclusively for movies...Oled is a must have
Hey look we agree!

See the movie library in my sig? That's why I bought my OLED.

BTW... 2+ years and 3000+ hours later... no burn in. Who'da thunk it?!?!? I even occasionally watch cable programming with logos!

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #341 of 409 Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just saw a test with the 2018 TV's. Burn in will depend on setting and what you watch. Even after have the tv on 8 hours a day (same station or video) most tv's had varying levels of burn in only visible on solid color screens. Nothing that would affect picture quality. I don't think anyone watches the same exact thing 8 hours a day.
post #342 of 409 Old 08-11-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Sorry. I could have posted more productively.

I assume that user isn’t planning on changing viewing habits so what I meant to say is an upside is he/she knows how long to expect the replacement screen to last.

I was being a little extra snarky. So sorry
Are replacement panels a one-time replacement by LG? What about Sony?

Curious, doesn't LG state "burn-in" is not covered by their warranty?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #343 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post

I wasn't saying they would replace it again ... just saying with his current settings it should need replacement at the same amount of usage time.

OLED is great (for about 2 years depending on if you use it.)

-Brian
post #344 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:

If you go through specific model threads you will see LG will replace BI panels with some discretion. A new panel comes with its own warranty too.
The oldest models have the most issues as every model gets 'better' panels regarding burn-in resistance. The 7's and 8's were big jumps forward but it is a little early to see the extent of any issues on the 8's and 9's. The people who use quality 'picture quality' settings vs 'vivid' and 'pop' settings seem to have no issues with BI. Not everyone will admit publicly what they did or what was on screen when they fell asleep with the TV on. My TV, Xbox, and BluRay player all have screen saver or dimmer settings which kick on in 2 or 3 minutes, some people have those disabled.
A stock trader, for example, who runs the same ticker for 14 hours a day with high OLED light setting may develop a problem. The stay-at-home person that likes to have CNN on all day while they go about their business can get burn in at the logo location (CNN's red logo is famous for being an issue in extreme use cases). Some of us have over 5000 hours on 7's with over half being the same 2 video games with static HUDs and have no sign of burn in.
If want quality buy an OLED, if you want the 'pop' that many people drooled over when HD first came out get an LCD. If your viewing environment requires extreme settings (sun all day long) get an LCD.
Panson likes this.
post #345 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj21 View Post
Just saw a test with the 2018 TV's. Burn in will depend on setting and what you watch. Even after have the tv on 8 hours a day (same station or video) most tv's had varying levels of burn in only visible on solid color screens. Nothing that would affect picture quality. I don't think anyone watches the same exact thing 8 hours a day.
Any type of burn in would bother me. I try to buy displays that don't have image retention problems.
Panson likes this.
post #346 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 AM

You have to think about usage scenario. I don't care about TV channels for example. I use OLED panel for movie watching exclusively. I can't see anything in price/quality comparable to OLED right now. I'm just enjoing PQ. I have gone through different LCD TVs and i'm satisfied with OLED now.
Brian Hampton and Panson like this.
post #347 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Have LG 77" Oled C8.

I did a big no-no 2 nights ago. I fell asleep watching a blu-ray on my 4K blu-ray player. After the movie is over for 15 minutes the player shuts down and I got my AVR screen saver (if you can call it that). Since it's a Yamaha it shows a static pic of a piano and it doesn't move. Just a piano with it's lid open. The AVR shows this when there is no signal present.
The static pic of the piano was on my LG oled C8 for 6 hours. No burn in or IR. Now maybe it takes longer than that or I just got lucky IDK but grateful for no ill effects.
Panson likes this.

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
post #348 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj21 View Post
As I said, there are times my TV is on over ten hours per day, all with that Hallmark Channel logo in the corner.

No BI after several months of that.

Granted, it's a white logo, not a particular color, and isn't high intensity.
post #349 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
As I said, there are times my TV is on over ten hours per day, all with that Hallmark Channel logo in the corner.
No BI after several months of that.
Granted, it's a white logo, not a particular color, and isn't high intensity.
I wouldn't be doing that with any TV, but each to his own viewing habits. As long as LG is replacing OLED panels free of charge, I guess you have nothing to worry about.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #350 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
You have to think about usage scenario. I don't care about TV channels for example. I use OLED panel for movie watching exclusively. I can't see anything in price/quality comparable to OLED right now. I'm just enjoing PQ. I have gone through different LCD TVs and i'm satisfied with OLED now.
That's what I'd be doing, if I had a dedicated theater in my home. I don't, so I'll be OLED-free.

Obviously, LG doesn't care for that small market share of theater owners, so they've chosen to support the less careful mixed-usage customers with panel replacements. How many replacements they'll do for one customer remains unclear.

How will this all end? We'll just hafta wait and see. As I alluded, it's only a curiosity mode for me.

Continued happy viewing.

post #351 of 409 Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
I wouldn't be doing that with any TV, but each to his own viewing habits. As long as LG is replacing OLED panels free of charge, I guess you have nothing to worry about.
I bought a TV to watch what I want to watch; if I end up with a logo (or letterbox bars) burned into my screen, I'll purchase another OLED to replace it.

It is still preferable to living with LCD"s blooming or grey blacks.
dreaux likes this.
post #352 of 409 Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

It is still preferable to living with LCD"s blooming or grey blacks.
No way. There's no sense in such TV for movie watching.
post #353 of 409 Old 08-13-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
No way. There's no sense in such TV for movie watching.
There is if you enjoy seeing bright, non clipped, HDR highlights.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #354 of 409 Old 08-13-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Yep. That's why I have an older LG LCD for the downstairs HTS. It is our primary tv for watching tv (local HDTV stations only), streaming via ATV4, and the occasional BD movie. Upstairs is where we have the OLED HTS and it is primarily used for "serious" streaming via the ATV4k and UHD/BD movies. We do watch network shows up there every now and then but we don't worry about BI/IR. If I have a need to watch CNN or whatever I'll go downstairs. Generally speaking, I would not recommend an OLED as your only, primary tv. That being said, nothing can compare to the OLED when it comes to pq .

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #355 of 409 Old 08-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

That is only true if your TV isn't a Samsung though...
post #356 of 409 Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:

Brightness without light leakage control is nothing for me . Perfect blacks give real depth to picture.
Spidergames likes this.
post #357 of 409 Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:

If you look at the core specs there are two versions, 2 minimum requirements, one for LCD, one for OLED. LCD has one order of magnitude more on the white end and OLED has 2 orders of magnitude more at the black end. The viewing experience is about personal preference and room conditions.
Panson likes this.
post #358 of 409 Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
The viewing experience is about personal preference and room conditions.
I agree 100%.

I actually do prefer my OLED for the majority of my viewing. The only area in which I prefer LCD is with 4K HDR content and 1080p BR movies. HDR performance is top priority for me though. I crave a certain level of pop and depth that I simply can’t get from the current crop of OLED tv’s. My OLED often looks dull, dim and lifeless in HDR, especially when you compare it with my Q90r. Plus, 77” is not big enough to give me that immersive movie watching experience that I’m looking for.

To each his own. Sorry about the off topic post.
Panson likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #359 of 409 Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Love the OLED, but black bars can cause BI? SMH!

The fact that even the 16:9 black bars can “burn in” on an OLED is deeply concerning to me. I just purchased the 65” C8. I’m still within my time frame to return it. I was truly surprised when I read the manual that said BI can occur with the movie’s black bars. Since like 90% of movies have them, then to myself that strongly suggests that the general ‘word on the street’ that OLED’s are the best for movies exclusively, is in fact false. I’m retired and I want to enjoy my OLED several hours a day as a dedicated movie display. But now, I’m truly considering returning it.
As far as HDR goes, that is a two-way street. HDR is by definition the ratio between the brightest whites and deepest blacks. And there ARE LCD’s that can get extremely close to OLED blacks while being substantially brighter as well. Without the same degree of risk re: BI. Yes, LCD panels at least older ones, can have and do suffer from BI, but only in the most extreme conditions.

I love the deep blacks of the C8, go figure! And it is plenty bright enough in my darkened theatre room. It’s image is stunning, no doubt! But to be honest, I had the 2019 Sony X950G in my home for a week and I was almost equally blown away by its stunning image quality! In the store where I purchased it, they had a demo of ‘X Men: Apocalypse’ and the colour, detail, clarity and brightness of the X950G made the C8 look totally dull by comparison, even on its ‘Vivid’ mode. . I even said to one of the salesmen, ‘Tell me the Sony’s black bars are really not that black’. He said, ‘They are true black’. It has, as almost ALL reviewers attest, arguably the most accurate colours ‘out of the box’ for any display, arguably the best motion and upscaling of 720p/1080p of any TV, thanks to the ‘X1 Ultimate’ chip; add to that stunningly vivid ‘Triluminos’ (aka quantum dot) colours, and with some adjustments to brightness, contrast, black level etc, still retaining very satisfying blacks. And NO BI concerns! Most reviews or comments I’ve read about the X950G (I’d be willing to bet), did very casual, limited ‘test patterns’ and viewing. I spent many hours with it, tweaking it. And in all honestly, the sheer amount of visible detail, the vibrancy of colours, the exceptional sharpness (Caleb at Digital Trends said it was probably the sharpest looking image he has EVER seen), makes it a serious contender. I’m sure some OLED owners who have NOT spent time in home with the X950G as I have will have their opinion. But that opinion will not be based on their own real-world comparison, as mine is. In all likelihood, I will be returning the C8 and re-purchasing the X950G. It’s an amazing tv! At the store where it was displayed, it looked ‘very good’. I researched it to the max and purchased. My settings when I got it home? And it blew me away in the best sense of the metaphor!

The sheer fact that in NOT ONE of the reviews I’ve read on-line or seen on YouTube or anywhere, did even 1 person state that the black bars on movies CAN cause BI , makes me wonder whether ‘Quantum APOTHEOSIS’ on YouTube is correct about the ‘conspiracy’ of OLED in paying off reviews. Just sayin. I mean, EVERYONE who argues for OLED’s being the best image possible, all to a person say ‘Just use it as a dedicated tv for MOVIES and you should never have an issue with BI’. Then I read LG’s own manual which says the black bars can cause BI? WHAAATTTT?!”
I love the OLED, and would prefer to keep it, but at the premium price of this TV, given how amazing the X950G’s image is, with NO concerns re: BI, I’ll most likely be switching back the OLED for the X950G.

Last edited by LX-UH1; 08-14-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Spell checks
post #360 of 409 Old 08-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
The fact that even the 16:9 black bars can “burn in” on an OLED is deeply concerning to me. I just purchased the 65” C8. I’m still within my time frame to return it. I was truly surprised when I read the manual that said BI can occur with the movie’s black bars. Since like 90% of movies have them, then to myself that strongly suggests that the general ‘word on the street’ that OLED’s are the best for movies exclusively, is in fact false. I’m retired and I want to enjoy my OLED several hours a day as a dedicated movie display. But now, I’m truly considering returning it.
As far as HDR goes, that is a two-way street. HDR is by definition the ratio between the brightest whites and deepest blacks. And there ARE LCD’s that can get extremely close to OLED blacks while being substantially brighter as well. Without the same degree of risk re: BI. Yes, LCD panels at least older ones, can have and do suffer from BI, but only in the most extreme conditions.

I love the deep blacks of the C8, go figure! And it is plenty bright enough in my darkened theatre room. It’s image is stunning, no doubt! But to be honest, I had the 2019 Sony X950G in my home for a week and I was almost equally blown away by its stunning image quality! In the store where I purchased it, they had a demo of ‘X Men: Apocalypse’ and the colour, detail, clarity and brightness of the X950G made the C8 look totally dull by comparison, even on its ‘Vivid’ mode. . I even said to one of the salesmen, ‘Tell me the Sony’s black bars are really not that black’. He said, ‘They are true black’. It has, as almost ALL reviewers attest, arguably the most accurate colours ‘out of the box’ for any display, arguably the best motion and upscaling of 720p/1080p of any TV, thanks to the ‘X1 Ultimate’ chip; add to that stunningly vivid ‘Triluminos’ (aka quantum dot) colours, and with some adjustments to brightness, contrast, black level etc, still retaining very satisfying blacks. And NO BI concerns! Most reviews or comments I’ve read about the X950G (I’d be willing to bet), did very casual, limited ‘test patterns’ and viewing. I spent many hours with it, tweaking it. And in all honestly, the sheer amount of visible detail, the vibrancy of colours, the exceptional sharpness (Caleb at Digital Trends said it was probably the sharpest looking image he has EVER seen), makes it a serious contender. I’m sure some OLED owners who have NOT spent time in home with the X950G as I have will have their opinion. But that opinion will not be based on their own real-world comparison, as mine is. In all likelihood, I will be returning the C8 and re-purchasing the X950G. It’s an amazing tv! At the store where it was displayed, it looked ‘very good’. I researched it to the max and purchased. My settings when I got it home? And it blew me away in the best sense of the metaphor!

The sheer fact that in NOT ONE of the reviews I’ve read on-line or seen on YouTube or anywhere, did even 1 person state that the black bars on movies CAN cause BI , makes me wonder whether ‘Quantum APOTHEOSIS’ on YouTube is correct about the ‘conspiracy’ of OLED in paying off reviews. Just sayin. I mean, EVERYONE who argues for OLED’s being the best image possible, all to a person say ‘Just use it as a dedicated tv for MOVIES and you should never have an issue with BI’. Then I read LG’s own manual which says the black bars can cause BI? WHAAATTTT?!”
I love the OLED, and would prefer to keep it, but at the premium price of this TV, given how amazing the X950G’s image is, with NO concerns re: BI, I’ll most likely be switching back the OLED for the X950G.
the new OLED don't have problems with black bars burn in, in fact if you read the customers reviews on amazon, none of them said they had black bar burn in, even on the past year older ones, usually people run into cable news or some type logos burn in, but never black bars....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page