Is OLED Burn-In a Big Problem? - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 290Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
the new OLED don't have problems with black bars burn in, in fact if you read the customers reviews on amazon, none of them said they had black bar burn in, even on the past year older ones, usually people run into cable news or some type logos burn in, but never black bars....
Ok, so then WHY does the LG user’s manual that came with the C8, say black bars CAN cause BI? Are the manufacturer’s of the display, mistaken? Should I take the word of consumers on Amazon, over the manufacturer’s own admission in writing?
LX-UH1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
Ok, so then WHY does the LG user’s manual that came with the C8, say black bars CAN cause BI? Are the manufacturer’s of the display, mistaken? Should I take the word of consumers on Amazon, over the manufacturer’s own admission in writing?
believe me if the black bars were big burn in problem, u would of heard it from here and everyone else, but hey if you're too scared to keep it, then go right a head and return it...
Spidergames is offline  
post #363 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
believe me if the black bars were big burn in problem, u would of heard it from here and everyone else, but hey if you're too scared to keep it, then go right a head and return it...
I'm not certain why they would say it at all mainly because I don't think I've actually read once a case of BI happening from black bars. I'm at 6000 hours on a calibrated C6 with most of that being games movies and 4:3 material and I have yet to have an issue with BI. Admittedly for the 1st 2000 hours I babied the heck out of it but now I don't think twice about it. I thought I had read somewhere that initially the Pixels degrade at a faster rate in the beginning so I wonder if a break in period of being very careful as I was is key to avoiding any issues.
Spidergames and LX-UH1 like this.

Last edited by SteveCaron; 08-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
SteveCaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
believe me if the black bars were big burn in problem, u would of heard it from here and everyone else, but hey if you're too scared to keep it, then go right a head and return it...
I think you are correct. By now, somewhere if this was a real concern, there would be reports of it.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #365 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
I think you are correct. By now, somewhere if this was a real concern, there would be reports of it.
"The OLED Screen Burn Debate - Everything You Need To Know"

Quote:
“The following are examples of images that may cause image retention:
• Content with black bars either on the top and bottom and/or the left and right sides of the screen. (for example, Letterboxed,4:3 screen, Standard definition)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#100e53b4363d
As the reviewer mentions, there's a "pixel refresher" that one can use to removed stubborn image retention, but you're advised not to use it more than once a year. To do otherwise can cause damage to the panel. The reviewer also mentions that stubborn image retention can lead to burn-in.

So, we have the manufacturer's warnings followed by the reviewer's experience, warning, and interpretation. For me, that would be enough. In actuality, what I know already is enough.

Good luck, and have fun, with whatever choice you make.
LX-UH1 likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 08-14-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Panson is offline  
post #366 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
believe me if the black bars were big burn in problem, u would of heard it from here and everyone else, but hey if you're too scared to keep it, then go right a head and return it...
From RTINGS OLED BURN IN TESTS:
Someone asked re: Black bars on movies and burn in. The reply from Adam at RTINGS was,
“Posted 5 hours ago by Adam Babcock (RTINGS.com)
Aug 14, 2019 02:05 AM By Techameed 2
do you say that there will be burn due to the black bars in movies?
Even the 4k movies has black bars. And thats static. Will that cause burn in?
Another theory says that the led switches off for black content. So there might not be any burn in.
Whats your theory?”
ADAM REPLIED:
“Yes, black bars CAN (and DO) cause burn-in. The B6 in our 20/7 burn-in test is showing signs of burn-in from the black bars used in this test. You can see the line at the bottom of the most recent red uniformity slide. Note that this is a bit different from normal burn-in, it is more of a inverse burn-in. Basically, the other pixels are aging faster than the ones that are off on the black bars, causing the area of the black bars to appear brighter than the rest of the screen.”
They are the experts who have been running these tests for a few years now.
Thus, as I said earlier, since LG still puts this disclaimer in writing in their user manual for the C8 (I assume it’s in all their user manuals), the FACT is, as the pixels age, decay, black bars will create an ‘inverse BI’.
So buyer beware!
Panson likes this.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #367 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 04:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
"The OLED Screen Burn Debate - Everything You Need To Know

As the reviewer mentions, there's a "pixel refresher" that one can use to removed stubborn image retention, but you're advised not to use it more than once a year. To do otherwise can cause damage to the panel. The reviewer also mentions that stubborn image retention can lead to burn-in.

So, we have the manufacturer's warnings followed by the reviewer's experience, warning, and interpretation. For me, that would be enough. In actuality, what I know already is enough.

Good luck, and have fun, with whatever choice you make.
You are quite correct. I just read and posted the reply from Adam at RTINGS about the fact that black movie bars CAN and DO cause BI. You said it well, we have the Manufacturer’s warnings, the reviewers experience. For myself as well, that is enough. The C8 is going back and I’m staying with the Sony X950. Not prepared to ‘roll the dice’ at this price point.
Panson likes this.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #368 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

There is if you enjoy seeing bright, non clipped, HDR highlights.
I'll let you know when theatrical films are released in HDR, not new HDR home video versions.
kucharsk is offline  
post #369 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
You are quite correct. I just read and posted the reply from Adam at RTINGS about the fact that black movie bars CAN and DO cause BI. You said it well, we have the Manufacturer’s warnings, the reviewers experience. For myself as well, that is enough. The C8 is going back and I’m staying with the Sony X950. Not prepared to ‘roll the dice’ at this price point.
Your loss; the C8 is dirt cheap compared to what OLEDs used to cost, but ultimately if grey blacks don't bother you, stick with what you have.

I literally couldn't even stand to watch a movie on an LCD in my home.
kucharsk is offline  
post #370 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This article on Forbes.com - https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#194d74e8363d, is extremely helpful. It argues that the very measures companies like Sony and LG incorporated into their 2018/2019 OLED’s are proof of the fact that the manufacturers considers BI a serious, albeit potential risk. WHY ELSE would Sony introduce a firmware update which aggressively dims any bright object that is static on the screen for just ONE MINUTE? And Sony also warns that the ‘Pixel Refresher’ feature should only be used ONCE A YEAR, otherwise the panel itself may become damaged. These are facts and very real potential issues that the Manufacturer’s put in writing to warn consumers. Furthermore, to add insult to injury, they usually will not cover BI as they consider it abuse caused by the consumer. They use lingo like ‘normal use’, but never actually comprehensively define it! This article also makes a great counter-argument to the thought that ‘if it was a real issue, we would read more about it in consumer opinions on sites like Amazon’ or this forum. However, as the Forbes article explains, the fact is there might just be not enough real time logged in yet with people who have 2018/2019 OLEDS for consumers to experience this problem. Finally, and for myself at least this is the proverbial straw that breaks it, the effects of BI are considered to CUMULATIVE. Meaning, if the same pixels are stressed it doesn’t matter whether it’s for 20 hours all at once, or over 20 days 1 hour at a time. It’s the cumulative affect on the pixels that creates both image retention and ultimately, BI. The article concludes that despite all of this, it SEEMS like there are very few cases (comparatively speaking), where permanent BI in everyday ‘normal’ use by consumers occurs. Nevertheless, to just dismiss the obvious issue that the manufacturer’s themselves admit is at the very least, a real potential risk, is just silly. I’m not a gambler. Not willing to roll the dice on such an expensive item. The Sony X950G is a stunning display in every way. I’ll be more than happy with it, and not always wondering in the back of my mind if or when the internal ticking time bomb will go off on my OLED. Those of you who have and love your TV’s, I get it. If you feel it’s worth the risk, who am I to tell you otherwise? 😊 For myself, it’s a deal-breaker. With that, I’ll sign off.
Panson likes this.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #371 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
From RTINGS OLED BURN IN TESTS:
Someone asked re: Black bars on movies and burn in. The reply from Adam at RTINGS was,
“Posted 5 hours ago by Adam Babcock (RTINGS.com)
Aug 14, 2019 02:05 AM By Techameed 2
do you say that there will be burn due to the black bars in movies?
Even the 4k movies has black bars. And thats static. Will that cause burn in?
Another theory says that the led switches off for black content. So there might not be any burn in.
Whats your theory?”
ADAM REPLIED:
“Yes, black bars CAN (and DO) cause burn-in. The B6 in our 20/7 burn-in test is showing signs of burn-in from the black bars used in this test. You can see the line at the bottom of the most recent red uniformity slide. Note that this is a bit different from normal burn-in, it is more of a inverse burn-in. Basically, the other pixels are aging faster than the ones that are off on the black bars, causing the area of the black bars to appear brighter than the rest of the screen.”
They are the experts who have been running these tests for a few years now.
Thus, as I said earlier, since LG still puts this disclaimer in writing in their user manual for the C8 (I assume it’s in all their user manuals), the FACT is, as the pixels age, decay, black bars will create an ‘inverse BI’.
So buyer beware!


wow i didn't know that, good thing i don't watch movies everyday with letter box...
LX-UH1 likes this.
Spidergames is offline  
post #372 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Your loss; the C8 is dirt cheap compared to what OLEDs used to cost, but ultimately if grey blacks don't bother you, stick with what you have.

I literally couldn't even stand to watch a movie on an LCD in my home.
My loss? Not a chance. Have you actually had the X950G in your home for a week like I have had? I doubt it. I had the Sony X950G in my home for a week before ai got the C8. The ONLY thing that the C8 does better than the X950G is it’s blacks are deeper. Agreed. However, that is not the only factor in image quality. The X1 Ultimate Chip is by ALL reviewers accounts better at motion, upscaling and sharpness. The X950G by EVERY review i’ve seen (many so far) has the most accurate colour out of the box of any tv, excepting maybe the Panasonic OLED’s with the HCX processor. It is far brighter than the C8 and has visibly superior detail. It’s colours are more vibrant though not as over-saturated as Samsung’s QLED’s. And as my own in-house testing demonstrated, with some patience and fine-tuning of settings, it’s blacks can and DO get very black in a dark room. PLUS, it offers ‘Netflix Calibrated’ mode, which the C8 does not. And while the C8 does support Dolby Vision, the X950G allows the user to tweak Dolby Vision in both ‘Bright’ and ‘Dark’ modes, as well as choose what gamma they prefer. The C8 does NONE of this...oh and NO CONCERNS RE: BI! I can watch what I want and play what games I want as long as I want with no worries. If you think deeper blacks outweigh all this, then my friend, the loss is yours.
Nation66 and Panson like this.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #373 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
This article on Forbes.com - https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#194d74e8363d, is extremely helpful. It argues that the very measures companies like Sony and LG incorporated into their 2018/2019 OLED’s are proof of the fact that the manufacturers considers BI a serious, albeit potential risk. WHY ELSE would Sony introduce a firmware update which aggressively dims any bright object that is static on the screen for just ONE MINUTE? And Sony also warns that the ‘Pixel Refresher’ feature should only be used ONCE A YEAR, otherwise the panel itself may become damaged. These are facts and very real potential issues that the Manufacturer’s put in writing to warn consumers. Furthermore, to add insult to injury, they usually will not cover BI as they consider it abuse caused by the consumer. They use lingo like ‘normal use’, but never actually comprehensively define it! This article also makes a great counter-argument to the thought that ‘if it was a real issue, we would read more about it in consumer opinions on sites like Amazon’ or this forum. However, as the Forbes article explains, the fact is there might just be not enough real time logged in yet with people who have 2018/2019 OLEDS for consumers to experience this problem. Finally, and for myself at least this is the proverbial straw that breaks it, the effects of BI are considered to CUMULATIVE. Meaning, if the same pixels are stressed it doesn’t matter whether it’s for 20 hours all at once, or over 20 days 1 hour at a time. It’s the cumulative affect on the pixels that creates both image retention and ultimately, BI. The article concludes that despite all of this, it SEEMS like there are very few cases (comparatively speaking), where permanent BI in everyday ‘normal’ use by consumers occurs. Nevertheless, to just dismiss the obvious issue that the manufacturer’s themselves admit is at the very least, a real potential risk, is just silly. I’m not a gambler. Not willing to roll the dice on such an expensive item. The Sony X950G is a stunning display in every way. I’ll be more than happy with it, and not always wondering in the back of my mind if or when the internal ticking time bomb will go off on my OLED. Those of you who have and love your TV’s, I get it. If you feel it’s worth the risk, who am I to tell you otherwise? 😊 For myself, it’s a deal-breaker. With that, I’ll sign off.
Don't sign off completely. Please feel free to add your comments on the Sony X950G Owners Thread, and any other thread that interests.
LX-UH1 likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #374 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Don't sign off completely. Please feel free to add your comments on the Sony X950G Owners Thread, and any other thread that interests.
Thanks! I will do just that
Panson likes this.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #375 of 454 Old 08-14-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
My loss? Not a chance. Have you actually had the X950G in your home for a week like I have had? I doubt it. I had the Sony X950G in my home for a week before ai got the C8. The ONLY thing that the C8 does better than the X950G is it’s blacks are deeper. Agreed. However, that is not the only factor in image quality. The X1 Ultimate Chip is by ALL reviewers accounts better at motion, upscaling and sharpness. …
I saw a 950G in a store and found its blacks and blooming unacceptable.

I also shut off all motion handling and smoothing options. Every one. I hate SOE and anything that would smooth 24P even slightly.

It's great you like your X950G, if it meets your needs, that's awesome.

I wouldn't personally wouldn't accept one, or even any of the new Samsung 8K displays, for free.

This isn't like politics, it's more of a debate of whether you prefer vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

Neither is wrong, just different.

To me OLED's blacks are worth any worry about burn-in, and I have 5893 hours on my 65EF9500, watch letterboxed videos regularly and Hallmark Channel at least eight hours per day, especially at Christmas, and have zero burn-in of logos or the 2.35:1 center of the screen.

I also got my Dad a 65E6P, and he watches logo'ed TV all day every day, and also has no burn-in.
Spidergames likes this.

Last edited by kucharsk; 08-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.
kucharsk is offline  
post #376 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I saw a 950G in a store and found its blacks and blooming unacceptable.

I also shut off all motion handling and smoothing options. Every one. I hate SOE and anything that would smooth 24P even slightly.

It's great you like your X950G, if it meets your needs, that's awesome.

I wouldn't personally wouldn't accept one, or even any of the new Samsung 8K displays, for free.

This isn't like politics, it's more of a debate of whether you prefer vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

Neither is wrong, just different.

To me OLED's blacks are worth any worry about burn-in, and I have 5893 hours on my 65EF9500, watch letterboxed videos regularly and Hallmark Channel at least eight hours per day, especially at Christmas, and have zero burn-in of logos or the 2.35:1 center of the screen.

I also got my Dad a 65E6P, and he watches logo'ed TV all day every day, and also has no burn-in.
I had figured you only saw the X950G in store. I had it in home, in my darkened basement. Like you, I cannot stand visible blooming (though to be fair, I do see very slight blooming even on the C8, especially where there are white letters or writing on a black background). Remember in store, the brightness is max’d out because of all the ambient light and reflective glare. I would never watch the display like that at home. I spent time with the X950G, and after tweaking it, and lowering brightness to 20-25 (still very bright, as the TV is very bright), believe me, the blacks visibly and satisfactorily deepened! To have the X1 Ultimate’s processing power and the massive degree of personal tweaking available (especially in both Dolby modes), rather than have to ‘live’ with whatever pre-sets the manufacturer’s decided, is a huge advantage, IMO. From RTINGS re: X950G. They say “The Sony X950G is an IMPRESSIVE 4k TV with great picture quality. It can display DEEP BLACKS in a dark room thanks to the high native contrast ratio and full array local dimming support. It can get very bright and delivers great HDR performance full of bright, vivid highlights. It has excellent motion handling, due to a nearly-instantaneous response time that makes the image look crisp and leaves fast-moving objects with very little blur trail. The input lag is very low, which makes it an excellent choice for gamers that are looking for a very responsive TV.”

I also appreciate your own anecdotal experience. I will deeply consider it
To be fair, the guys in Best Buy told me that they had floor models running for 10 hrs a day/7 days/week without any trace of BI. They also had other demos that did have BI. The panel lottery is real. Luckily for you and your dad, you have both been spared this.
If you had spent time with the X950G in home, tweaking it for hours as I did, I think you would understand why it is Sony’s Flagship LCD for 2019. It’s a SERIOUSLY impressive display! And never a 2nd thought about BI. And remember, the 2016 Z900D ‘Master’ LCD, had seriously deep, inky blacks thanks to Sony’s ‘Master backlight drive’ technology, which was FALD on steroids. I’d love to get my hands on one of them if I can.
As I said earlier, I love my C8’s blacks. However, I also loved the processing capabilities of the X950G...and when the manufacturer’s are warning of the risks of BI, and via firmware are introducing very aggressively, dimming algorithms for any bright static image on screen for more than 60 seconds, and warning about not activating ‘pixel refresher’ more than 1x a year for fear of damage to the panel, I’m left wondering ‘What do they know that I don’t?’ Thanks for the chat.

Cheers,
Panson likes this.

Last edited by LX-UH1; 08-15-2019 at 01:31 AM.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #377 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
X950g is real bloom machine . Me...
Dimon.Zorg is online now  
post #378 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 01:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
X950g is real bloom machine . Me...
You have no idea what you are talking about, as it is clear from your comment. NOT ONE review says such a thing about the X950G. I had it in home for a week, have you? Clearly not. RTINGS says of the X950G “The Sony X950G is an impressive 4k TV with great picture quality. It can display deep blacks in a dark room thanks to the high native contrast ratio and full array local dimming support. It can get very bright and delivers great HDR performance full of bright, vivid highlights. It has excellent motion handling, due to a nearly-instantaneous response time that makes the image look crisp and leaves fast-moving objects with very little blur trail. The input lag is very low, which makes it an excellent choice for gamers that are looking for a very responsive TV.” Your comment, which had nothing by way of facts to back it up, is rather telling.
imagic and Panson like this.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #379 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,083
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9162 Post(s)
Liked: 16159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about, as it is clear from your comment. NOT ONE review says such a thing about the X950G. I had it in home for a week, have you? Clearly not. RTINGS says of the X950G “The Sony X950G is an impressive 4k TV with great picture quality. It can display deep blacks in a dark room thanks to the high native contrast ratio and full array local dimming support. It can get very bright and delivers great HDR performance full of bright, vivid highlights. It has excellent motion handling, due to a nearly-instantaneous response time that makes the image look crisp and leaves fast-moving objects with very little blur trail. The input lag is very low, which makes it an excellent choice for gamers that are looking for a very responsive TV.” Your comment, which had nothing by way of facts to back it up, is rather telling.
Yup

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #380 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about, as it is clear from your comment.
I know perfectly well what X950G is . I saw it personaly it is very close to X900F




It is unusable in dark room. Blooming is awful in HDR mode particularly. Exactly like XF9005
Dimon.Zorg is online now  
post #381 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
I know perfectly well what X950G is . I saw it personaly it is very close to X900F

https://youtu.be/QUEleyyLow4?t=458

https://youtu.be/8EbF9QxbmxA?t=1088

https://youtu.be/JI6DqgFvHjc?t=373

It is unusable in dark room. Blooming is awful in HDR mode particularly. Exactly like XF9005
Again your propsentiy for irrelevancy and your obvious ignorance of the true capabilities is on display by your comments. You cite reviews who I guarantee you did not tweak the settings as I did in home. And as for your seeing it in a store, that is laughable. The image brightness is substantially ramped up to overcome the massive amount of ambient light and reflective glare in such an environment. And even if you saw it in a home (which I doubt), in all likelihood, you did not see it tweaked for a dark room setting the way I had it set up. So your comments, while mildly amusing are utterly irrelevant and factually untrue. Did Vincent at HDTV Test and the other OLED groupies adjust the contrast, brightness and black level to the same painstaking degree I did when he did his review? I doubt it, as most reviewers base their review on their calibrated factory pre-sets. Had you read, or perhaps better put, understood my comments above, you would know how glaringly wrong your comments are. I had salespeople in store tell me the X90OF was essentially the same tv as the X950G as well. But they were again basing that only on the ‘store demo’ mode which ramps up brightness to combat brightness in store. Not one of them had it tweaked the way I did. I also tried the X900F in my home and I can tell you for a fact, the X950G is far superior to it in every way.
‘Unusable as a dark room tv’, you say? LOL! Again, I’ll state the obvious, you have no idea what you are talking about. So when RTINGS said it is an ‘impressive tv, able to display DEEP BLACKS in a dark room’, they were mistaken, but you are correct?
You post a few reviews you saw on-line. I had it in home for a week in my dedicated, dark theatre room. And while its’ blacks are deep as RTINGS said, they are not as deep as the C8, no argument. But in every othermeaningful way pertaining to image quality - colour accuracy, vibrancy of colours, substantially wider colour gamut, motion, brightness while still maintaining very respectable blacks, clarity and superior detail to the OLED, the fact is, it is noticeably superior to the C8! OLED owners (and I’m one myself. I own the 65’ C8) say the risk of burn is is worth the trade off for best blacks? If that is their preference, so be it. For myself, I’ll take a lil blooming in HDR to enjoy as many hours of truly stunning image quality in movies, tv, football, games with out the need to babysit a $3k TV any day.
So RTINGS is incorrect when they say it can produce ‘deep blacks in dark room’? But I should take your world for it? Be serious! ‘Awful’ you said? LOL! The fact is, the panel lottery is real and I can tell you for fact, that there was [I]some mild[I] blooming in HDR content, hardly ‘awful’ as you suggest! But the image is so stunningly good in every other way, it was not a big deal. It was much better than the X950G. Your opinion is based off of reviews, which are highly subjective. Mine is based on dozens of hours of in-home testing and viewing in my darkened theatre room. You are of course entitled to your completely misguided and misinformed opinion though. I’ll stick with what I know and observed in-home.

By the way, in HDTV test’s review, did you take into account that the video is compressed on You Tube? That Vincent displayed the dimming zones OFF AXIS? The TV IS NO WHERE NEAR THAT ON AXIS! And his review CLEARLY SAID, the camera was over-exposed for the purpose of the video. And adds ‘blooming is SIGNFICANTLY LESS’ in real world viewing. Vincent also said ‘In our opinion, Sony’s FALD local dimming is the best in the business...Sony strikes a wonderful balancein keeping blacks deep and blooming to a minimum’. So which part of ‘wonderful balance’, ‘keeping blacks deep’, or ‘blooming to a minimum’, didn’t you comprehend? Seriously, did you even watch his video?! Or if you did, you clearly did NOT understand it! Once again, your glaring ignorance of the facts is on display here. But hey, if you want to drop $3k so folks can sit 30 degrees off axis, good for you! Not me

Oh and did I mention NO RISK OF BI...So I can game all day and night long and watch any and all content I want, risk free. Can’t say that about ANY OLED! No doubt you will want to toss up more comments which betray what you do not know first hand, rather than what I do know from my actual in-home experience. Go ahead, I’m sure they will be amusing if nothing else.

So in conclusion, you have NO IDEA how good the X950G is. So sorry to burst your bubble, but as I have convincingly demonstrated now, you do NOT ‘know perfectly well’ what it is. You are not even on the same page. Not even the same chapter!
Cheers.
Panson likes this.

Last edited by LX-UH1; 08-15-2019 at 10:19 AM.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #382 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,616
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-UH1 View Post
You are quite correct. I just read and posted the reply from Adam at RTINGS about the fact that black movie bars CAN and DO cause BI. You said it well, we have the Manufacturer’s warnings, the reviewers experience. For myself as well, that is enough. The C8 is going back and I’m staying with the Sony X950. Not prepared to ‘roll the dice’ at this price point.
Black bars will get you uneven wear on a OLED...that is after 4,000/4,500 hours of black bars on 2016 OLEDs...that is 2 black bar movies a day for 3,5 years. That is improved year upon year so on 2019 OLEDs there should thousands of hours resiliance added.

Most severe problem is red like CNN red.. which caused problems. They added a bigger red subpixel to adress this.
8mile13 is offline  
post #383 of 454 Old 08-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Black bars will get you uneven wear on a OLED...that is after 4,000/4,500 hours of black bars on 2016 OLEDs...that is 2 black bar movies a day for 3,5 years. That is improved year upon year so on 2019 OLEDs there should thousands of hours resiliance added.

Most severe problem is red like CNN red.. which caused problems. They added a bigger red subpixel to adress this.
Indeed my friend, you may be right. However, the manufacturer’s themselves make no such claim, let alone warranty. IF it is as safe as you suggest, why won’t Sony or LG say we will warranty black bar BI for the first 3-5 years of the tv? If the risk is as low as you suggest, that should be safe for them. So, the fact that neither Sony or LG are willing to step up to the plate to guarantee such things, says quite a bit. Sorry, but I think I should take their word on it, not yours or any other consumer. Pls understand, I mean no personal offence. But they manufacture these tvs and it is them who warn about this very real risk.

Cheets
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #384 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
So in conclusion, you have NO IDEA how good the X950G is
Bla-bla-bla. I have real proofs in the form of video and measurements/reviews. You have only empty words. All Sony TVs 2018-2019 have blooming especially XF9005|9505 cause of small amount of local zones. Blooming is inevitable. HDR mode is unusable because black level is like ****. More gray and milky:

RTings

Quote:
The X950G has excellent native contrast ratio, but a slightly lower than the one on the X900F.
Quote:
The Sony X950G has decent local dimming, very similar to the X900F. When viewed in a dark room, you might notice the different local dimming zones when a bright object crosses from one dimming zone to another. It is noticeable,
Quote:
If you watch movies with subtitles, you might notice some blooming around them, especially in HDR
Bloom machine is not suitable for high quality movie watching.
Dimon.Zorg is online now  
post #385 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,083
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9162 Post(s)
Liked: 16159
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Bla-bla-bla. I have real proofs in the form of video and measurements/reviews. You have only empty words. All Sony TVs 2018-2019 have blooming especially XF9005|9505 cause of small amount of local zones. Blooming is inevitable. HDR mode is unusable because black level is like ****. More gray and milky:

RTings

Bloom machine is not suitable for high quality movie watching.
Lol. Maybe just stop talking about a TV you do not have personal experience using.
Nation66 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #386 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 04:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Maybe just stop talking about a TV you do not have personal experience using.
I have personal experience with XE9005 and XF9005. The last one has better contrast and the same ammount of dimming zones .
Dimon.Zorg is online now  
post #387 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,083
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9162 Post(s)
Liked: 16159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
I have personal experience with XE9005 and XF9005. The last one has better contrast and the same ammount of dimming zones .
I read your posts, thx.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #388 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Bla-bla-bla. I have real proofs in the form of video and measurements/reviews. You have only empty words. All Sony TVs 2018-2019 have blooming especially XF9005|9505 cause of small amount of local zones. Blooming is inevitable. HDR mode is unusable because black level is like ****. More gray and milky:

RTings
Bloom machine is not suitable for high quality movie watching.
You make me laugh, because you evidently can’t read or it seems, understand what you read.
1. Vincent says Sony’s local dimming is the best in the business, it maintains a wonderful balance between keeping blacks DEEP and blooming at a MINIMUM.
2. RTINGS says ‘you MIGHT (not WILL) notice SOME (ie, MINIMAL) blooming. Hardly descriptive of a blooming machine! LOL! Which part of these didn’t you understand? On my C8, I can clearly see light bleed into the black bars when a bright object or scene is near the bars. So using your attempts at logic, I should call the C8 a ‘blooming machine’ too.
3. Blooming CAN be significantly diminished BY adjusting the contrast, brightness and black level of the tv. I saw this in my house - not at the store. You did not, because you saw a display with ramped up brightness to show in a super bright environment. Evidently you can not grasp the significance of this obvious fact.
4. Neither RTINGS, nor Vincent played with the adjustment of contrast, brightness, black levels. Guaranteed! ALL THEY DID was to calibrate the colour OF the FACTORY PRE-SET movie modes! Vincent, nor RTINGS never said they experimented with contrast, black level, and brightness adjustment. I DID and the results were amazing!
Maybe you need to go back to grade-school to learn how to read or understand what you read?
5. The ‘native’ CR of the X950G is similar to the X900F in out of the box factory, NON-ADJUSTED preset modes.
6. YOU HAVE NOT HAD THE X950G IN YOUR HOME AS I HAVE. THUS, YET AGAIN YOUR GLARING IGNORANCE is the only thing on display in your absurd comments. Like so many mindless consumers, you clearly don’t understand how these reviews are made! Then, you carelessly misquote and can’t understand your own quotes, which I have demonstrated repeatedly now.
7. The X950G’s deep blacks, accurate colour, IMPECCABLE DETAIL, best motion, and superior upscaling of SDR/1080P content, PLUS the fact that it will NOT HAVE BI, regardless of content watched or time watching itm and you say it’s not a high quality movie watching...LMAO. Your folly is simultaneously funny and pathetic.
...but hey, you make this section of the thread very amusing by your grade 2 attempts to sound like a college graduate...very funny

Last edited by LX-UH1; 08-16-2019 at 05:14 AM.
LX-UH1 is offline  
post #389 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Dimon.Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Vincent says Sony’s local dimming is the best in the business, it maintains a wonderful balance between keeping blacks DEEP and blooming at a MINIMUM.
Just double post:


Oh yea. "Deep" blacks . Special for you from Vincent

Another proof from AVforums review:

Quote:
If Sony could fix the black bar issues with HDR content we would be handing out a Highly recommended badge right now, but sadly the issue was so distracting on this retail sourced set that it pulled us out of the movies we were trying to watch and became a major distraction.

No amount of bias lighting in a dark room could fix the issue, which is down to poor engineering of the backlight. As such, this really dents the score we can give to the XG95, which otherwise, is a strong TV with excellent SDR picture accuracy, good gaming features and with 16:9 full-screen content, decent HDR.

If you are only going to watch 16:9 ratio content in HDR and use an offboard smart TV system, you might find the XG95 to be the excellent TV you are looking for. But for us, as movie fans and viewers, we can’t get past the issue most reviews seem to have skipped and that is the light pollution of the black bars in HDR movies. We just hope Sony takes the feedback as intended and does something to improve the performance for its LED LCD TVs.

The XG95 fails to win a badge at this stage but we hope Sony will look at adding improvements for movie viewers.
But you can go on and shake the air with your empty words
Dimon.Zorg is online now  
post #390 of 454 Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,083
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9162 Post(s)
Liked: 16159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Just double post:

https://youtu.be/QUEleyyLow4?t=458

Oh yea. "Deep" blacks . Special for you from Vincent

Another proof from AVforums review:

But you can go on and shake the air with your empty words
Have you ever experienced the difference between reading about a hamburger while looking at a picture of it, and eating a hamburger?
Nation66 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off