Is OLED Burn-In a Big Problem? - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

post #421 of 450 Old 09-09-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
This guy has been on to these shysters for a while....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvG0xzpjVU
Right on. Conga line, stranger danger, foxes selling cars. "I'm a doer!"

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 450 Old 09-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Good on Australia. Hoping this expands around the world to all electronics industry manufacturers, their distributors and retailers. Improve R&D, QC, marketing, sales, warranties, and after-sale commitments.

One of the first things that hasta go is the commonplace/laughable 1-year warranty.
Agreed. In addition, is bestbuy's laughable 15-day return policy. As we all know Costco gives a generous return policy of 90 days.
Panson likes this.
post #423 of 450 Old 09-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Right on. Conga line, stranger danger, foxes selling cars. "I'm a doer!"
Thank you for the link. Your correct this guy is spot on. I watched several of his videos, He is compelling. Shame on cnet and digital trends. I will watch linus/Quantum and Fomo on youtube. A commentary, yes these guys are looking to make money however they are good at there craft. I even considered trying to do what they do but i don't have time for it, I have a family, job, etc. My hats off to them.
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 450 Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
Thank you for the link. Your correct this guy is spot on. I watched several of his videos, He is compelling. Shame on cnet and digital trends. I will watch linus/Quantum and Fomo on youtube. A commentary, yes these guys are looking to make money however they are good at there craft. I even considered trying to do what they do but i don't have time for it, I have a family, job, etc. My hats off to them.
Well, I wont be buying a OLED. That's really the bottom line for LG and Sony. They ( for OLED )won't be getting my hard earned money.
Brian Hampton and Panson like this.
post #425 of 450 Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Well, I wont be buying a OLED. That's really the bottom line for LG and Sony. They ( for OLED )won't be getting my hard earned money.
What's irritating, as LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic continue putting more OLED eggs in their baskets, is their continuing dumbing down of LCDs with IPS, MVA, wide angle, fewer or no dimming zones, reflection coating, just about anything to reduce contrast of LCDs (So OLED will look better?).

What could we be left with? TCL, Hisense, Vizio, Toshiba, Sharp, RCA? The horror, the horror, the horror.

As some have said at AVS, 2020 could be a telling year for TV tech.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #426 of 450 Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's irritating, as LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic continue putting more OLED eggs in their baskets, is their continuing dumbing down of LCDs with IPS, MVA, wide angle, fewer or no dimming zones, reflection coating, just about anything to reduce contrast of LCDs (So OLED will look better?).

What could we be left with? TCL, Hisense, Vizio, Toshiba, Sharp, RCA? The horror, the horror, the horror.

As some have said at AVS, 2020 could be a telling year for TV tech.
The hub for technology has gone from the United States to Japan to South Korea and now to China. So now we see companies like TCL and Hisense etc manufacturing the LCD/LED technology at extremely low prices and the product quality is more than acceptable to the masses world wide. OLED is better no doubt but a Mercedes is better than a KIA. Doesn't mean the average buyer will or can afford the uptick in quality and luxury. You can buy a 82 inch Samsung right now from Costco for under $3,000. And it gets a awesome picture. You can pay a couple of thousand more for that same Samsung in the highest tier Q Series but is it worth it? Maybe to me but not to my wife, or any of my neighbors.
Panson likes this.
post #427 of 450 Old 09-10-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 847
I find electronics are only viable for the short warranty period.

Next up is subscriptions to cars and televisions.

A year is long enough with last year's gear.
post #428 of 450 Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OLED is burn in is definitely a problem

Burn in is real and every OLED buyer should be aware at the very least. My 2017 65" LG is has burn in that makes watching certain programs an unpleasant experience. I just purchased a replacement OLED. I hope I don't need to do this every 2 years.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #429 of 450 Old 09-10-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Hurst View Post
Burn in is real and every OLED buyer should be aware at the very least. My 2017 65" LG is has burn in that makes watching certain programs an unpleasant experience. I just purchased a replacement OLED. I hope I don't need to do this every 2 years.
That's insane. Just curious know that oled burn in issues are real why would you purchase another on now? Jyst return it and get a cheap tv for now till manufacturers come up with a way to resolve the burn in issue plus another thing to consider that the o in oled is organic so who knows how long it will last for?

Best of luck.
post #430 of 450 Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Hurst View Post
I hope I don't need to do this every 2 years.
You certainly don't. Try looking into a LED set without the O
Panson likes this.
post #431 of 450 Old 09-14-2019, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I apologize for posting something not in the spirit of the thread but does this really belong in the "Latest Industry News"? I check this subforum for industry news and almost always this thread is the top recently updated. This subforum is already pretty problematic as hardly any industry news are posted here but the oled burn in thread is threatening to become the death knell.
post #432 of 450 Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
I apologize for posting something not in the spirit of the thread but does this really belong in the "Latest Industry News"? I check this subforum for industry news and almost always this thread is the top recently updated. This subforum is already pretty problematic as hardly any industry news are posted here but the oled burn in thread is threatening to become the death knell.
The OLED manufacturers have made it a continuing lead story.

Many twists and turns. Assurances that 2019 and future OLEDS will be less prone to burn-in. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung all increasing OLED plans for the future.

LG Australia was recently fined $160K for misleading consumers about warranty for burn-in on 2013 LED TVs. FWIW LG launched OLED in 2013.

Burn-in is still with us. It's an important story now, and for the future of television. I don't think it should be neglected.
mtbdudex likes this.

Last edited by Panson; 09-15-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #433 of 450 Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Many twists and turns. Assurances that 2019 and future OLEDS will be less prone to burn-in. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung all increasing OLED plans for the future. LG Australia sued for OLED fraud, and found guilty.

It's an important story for the future of television. I don't think it should be neglected.
Noticeable changes to reduce burn in for the few buyers that are prone to getting burn in happened with the 7's and 8's, 2017 and 2018 model years. Look up oled sub-pixel size. Followers of OLED threads will clearly see that the 6's are the main culprit, and complaints have dropped off significantly for the first 2 years of ownership (6 vs 7 vs 8) even as sales have increased. This also coincides with more awareness of how to use the TV well.

Australia - Two TVs made in 2013 had burn in after less than year, Australia has special laws that force warranty claims, "fraud" was not mentioned in the lawsuits. More importantly, these 2 TVs WERE NOT OLEDs but LED's, and the issues was more like solarization.

And thus the problem with any "quality" thread. We don't have actual data, posters like Panson spread fear through lies and half-truths. Meanwhile, LG had doubled capacity, Sony, Panasonic, et al, are bringing forth OLEDs, so the industry is not in fear of burn-in. But, just because you can drive a Toyota Camry 20 mph over a speed bump doesn't mean you should do that in your Ferrari.
smitty likes this.
post #434 of 450 Old 09-15-2019, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Australia - Two TVs made in 2013 had burn in after less than year, Australia has special laws that force warranty claims, "fraud" was not mentioned in the lawsuits. More importantly, these 2 TVs WERE NOT OLEDs but LED's
Yup the article was updated:
https://www.techspot.com/news/81797-...ers-about.html

That is so hilarious. I'd like to see that youtube idiot make a correction video now. And I wonder if all the doomsayers in this thread will be eating crow too.

I don't know why everyone thinks LCDs are immune to burn-in. I had it happen myself on a PC monitor that was on all day with the same desktop background. And I just went to an arcade last week where about half the screens had the high scores burned in.

In fact Samsung even warns about it:
https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/t...ct-to-burn-in/
smitty likes this.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 (incoming) / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K

Last edited by bryantc; 09-15-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #435 of 450 Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Noticeable changes to reduce burn in for the few buyers that are prone to getting burn in happened with the 7's and 8's, 2017 and 2018 model years. Look up oled sub-pixel size. Followers of OLED threads will clearly see that the 6's are the main culprit, and complaints have dropped off significantly for the first 2 years of ownership (6 vs 7 vs 8) even as sales have increased. This also coincides with more awareness of how to use the TV well.

Australia - Two TVs made in 2013 had burn in after less than year, Australia has special laws that force warranty claims, "fraud" was not mentioned in the lawsuits. More importantly, these 2 TVs WERE NOT OLEDs but LED's, and the issues was more like solarization.

And thus the problem with any "quality" thread. We don't have actual data, posters like Panson spread fear through lies and half-truths. Meanwhile, LG had doubled capacity, Sony, Panasonic, et al, are bringing forth OLEDs, so the industry is not in fear of burn-in. But, just because you can drive a Toyota Camry 20 mph over a speed bump doesn't mean you should do that in your Ferrari.
You can call off the dogs, cathodeRay, post amended. Thank you for the half-truth based on some else's story.

Burn-ins since 2013 is nothing to be proud of. Neither is "misleading" consumers. Hopefully, LG can mend their ways.

Related:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-to-...two-consumers/

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/article...&id=1364794989

post #436 of 450 Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Yup the article was updated:
https://www.techspot.com/news/81797-...ers-about.html

That is so hilarious. I'd like to see that youtube idiot make a correction video now. And I wonder if all the doomsayers in this thread will be eating crow too.

I don't know why everyone thinks LCDs are immune to burn-in. I had it happen myself on a PC monitor that was on all day with the same desktop background. And I just went to an arcade last week where about half the screens had the high scores burned in.

In fact Samsung even warns about it:
https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/t...ct-to-burn-in/
bryantc, we shouldn't make uses for burn-in on any display, or condone long-term workarounds. The industry needs to improve, as does communication, as does warranty. Cheers.

post #437 of 450 Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
bryantc, we shouldn't make uses for burn-in on any display, or condone long-term workarounds. The industry needs to improve, as does communication, as does warranty. Cheers.
No one is making excuses but at some point common sense needs to prevail.

If you run your car constantly in the redline you should expect your engine to burn out. If you keep the same image on your TV you should expect burn in.

No display technology is immune.
smitty likes this.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 (incoming) / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #438 of 450 Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
No one is making excuses but at some point common sense needs to prevail.

If you run your car constantly in the redline you should expect your engine to burn out. If you keep the same image on your TV you should expect burn in.

No display technology is immune.
Too many excuses and not enough solutions. Long-term workarounds that may or may not work don't count as solution.

Common sense? You're talking electronics industry here, with manufacturers, customer non-service, wholesalers, dealers, reviewers running amok.

post #439 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
That's OK, they'll survive.

I might purchase an LCD if I ever saw a single set with acceptable to me picture quality.

It hasn't happened yet.
smitty likes this.
post #440 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Many twists and turns. Assurances that 2019 and future OLEDS will be less prone to burn-in. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung all increasing OLED plans for the future.

LG Australia was recently fined $160K for misleading consumers about warranty for burn-in on 2013 LED TVs. FWIW LG launched OLED in 2013.

Burn-in is still with us. It's an important story now, and for the future of television. I don't think it should be neglected.
Note they didn't say "eliminated" burn-in, they said "less prone."

For example, early plasmas would show some degree of image retention even after watching a three hour letterboxed movie.

Displays have gotten much better than that.

My Dad watches broadcast TV with his 65E6, and all broadcast channels have "bugs" in the corner through all their programming.

His set has no burn-in despite being used at least seven hours per day.
post #441 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I might purchase an LCD if I ever saw a single set with acceptable to me picture quality.

It hasn't happened yet.
If in the year 2019 you can't find one acceptable PQ LCD TV picture then I understand your reluctance. But I would put that ultra high PQ demand in the upper one percent of even highly critical viewers. I love OLED but it also has its drawbacks. Expensive, especially in a size above 65in. Not as good as LCD in a brighter environment. Burn in scare (deserved or not), only two brand options.
post #442 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Note they didn't say "eliminated" burn-in, they said "less prone."

For example, early plasmas would show some degree of image retention even after watching a three hour letterboxed movie.

Displays have gotten much better than that.

My Dad watches broadcast TV with his 65E6, and all broadcast channels have "bugs" in the corner through all their programming.

His set has no burn-in despite being used at least seven hours per day.
Glad your Dad has been very successful with a 6 model. 6s and 7s are scarier, say some. Getting better with 8s and 9s, say some. Haven't heard whether B, C, or E can have a better outcome.

Some get stung using the workarounds, while others escape injury doing workarounds or whatever. Another electronics industry lottery, and some say this one's even less in our favor. Perhaps OLED marketers and salespeople should preamble with, "Do you feel lucky?" That's better than "less prone", don't you think?

post #443 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, in 2019 there is not a single LCD on the market I would purchase. None of them have acceptable black levels to me without blooming issues.

The risk of burn-in is worth it to me over grey blacks or areas that are lighter than others on a dark background.
smitty likes this.
post #444 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad your Dad has been very successful with a 6 model. 6s and 7s are scarier, say some. Getting better with 8s and 9s, say some. Haven't heard whether B, C, or E can have a better outcome.

Some get stung using the workarounds, while others escape injury doing workarounds or whatever. Another electronics industry lottery, and some say this one's even less in our favor. Perhaps OLED marketers and salespeople should preamble with, "Do you feel lucky?" That's better than "less prone", don't you think?
I actually have a 65EF9500 with a few thousand hours of viewing on it, at least 2000 or so of it being Hallmark Channel with the attendant bug in the corner (my TV is on Hallmark almost 100% of the time during "Countdown to Christmas" from October through January, about eight hours daily) and I have zero burn-in.
post #445 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually have a 65EF9500 with a few thousand hours of viewing on it, at least 2000 or so of it being Hallmark Channel with the attendant bug in the corner (my TV is on Hallmark almost 100% of the time during "Countdown to Christmas" from October through January, about eight hours daily) and I have zero burn-in.
Wow, that's an even better success story, maybe bordering on miracle. Continued success.

post #446 of 450 Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really think people overstate the fragility of OLED, though I understand if you've had it bite you, it sucks.

Arguably plasma was even more prone to burn-in, but I also have a 15 year-old Panasonic TH50PHD6 that I have used without too many special precautions that also has zero BI.

For my OLED, I don't play video games, I don't leave interfaces up for a long time and my "OLED Light" setting has been 59 since I took it out of the box.
post #447 of 450 Old 09-17-2019, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It hasn't happened yet.
So before OLED you never watched anything? Or is it now you can't watch anything but OLED?

What would happen if you saw something amazing and it wasn't OLED ?... System crash?

LCD isn't where to look it's LED.

I won't buy OLED. I am considering a nice 85 inch LED soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2616662  

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-17-2019 at 03:53 AM.
post #448 of 450 Old 09-17-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
So before OLED you never watched anything? Or is it now you can't watch anything but OLED?

What would happen if you saw something amazing and it wasn't OLED ?... System crash?

LCD isn't where to look it's LED.

I won't buy OLED. I am considering a nice 85 inch LED soon.
So-called LED TVs are LCDs with an LED backlight. They are not emissive.

Before my OLED I watched my 50” plasma, which I still own.

Before my 50” plasma it was a 27” Trinitron CRT.
post #449 of 450 Old 09-17-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So-called LED TVs are LCDs with an LED backlight. They are not emissive.

Before my OLED I watched my 50” plasma, which I still own.

Before my 50” plasma it was a 27” Trinitron CRT.
Hmmm... I may have to do more research on LED TVs... Not sure that's correct but I actually don't know much about TVs.

I still have my Plasma set but I got rid of all my CRT Front Projectors.

Looked it up and you are correct. LED is LED backlit. I will wait because non organic LED emissive sets I'm sure are coming and that's what I'm saving up for.

(Meanwhile my HT has a 4K SXRD Front Projector)

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-17-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #450 of 450 Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
I really think people overstate the fragility of OLED, though I understand if you've had it bite you, it sucks.

Arguably plasma was even more prone to burn-in, but I also have a 15 year-old Panasonic TH50PHD6 that I have used without too many special precautions that also has zero BI.

For my OLED, I don't play video games, I don't leave interfaces up for a long time and my "OLED Light" setting has been 59 since I took it out of the box.
I have a C6 and do quite a bit of gaming and have had zero issues with BI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in