Is OLED Burn-In a Big Problem? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 294Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,106
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
I use a mix of movies, video games, and Windows PC usage on my LG C7 OLED. There's no obvious burn, but I am wary of it being an issue.

I don't see buying an LCD (or LED or Q-LED or whatever the marketing name being used is) as a great solution. It'd annoy me if I got burn on my OLED, but I'd still rather watch a burned OLED than a non-burned LCD.
Lol... that's hardcore.
paligap and srkmish like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
I posted this in the B6 owners thread yesterday, hopefully my perfectly working OLED does not exhibit other issues ...


Was watching earlier for over 2 hours straight, football, all good then within 15 minutes this weird effect happened just a little then overtook all over the screen



2 years old just over 2,600 hours


This firmware


So I tried this clear panel noise , 1st time ever. It took one hours.


Just turned back on appears to have solved it ...
Others here experience similar?
I’ve never had this issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtbdudex is online now  
post #63 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post
I use a mix of movies, video games, and Windows PC usage on my LG C7 OLED. There's no obvious burn, but I am wary of it being an issue.

I don't see buying an LCD (or LED or Q-LED or whatever the marketing name being used is) as a great solution. It'd annoy me if I got burn on my OLED, but I'd still rather watch a burned OLED than a non-burned LCD.
Hmm...not me. I recently bought a used LCD 2015 passive 3D LG 65UF8500 and planted right in front of my 3D 2016 Oled 65C6. Despite the flaws, poor blacks, some dirty screen effects...I love it. 3D filter is lined up perfectly. And it's so nice to just watch anything I want without giving it a second thought. CNN...gaming with HUD's...it doesn't care. I was going to keep the Oled as a back-up 3D tv...but after learning that the shelf life is possibly limited on the Oleds....might switch them around and and use the UF8500 as the back up.

I have said before...if I could only keep one of them...the PQ is not that much less...the 2015 LCD would be my choice because of lifespan concerns.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
JamesVG81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winston Salem NC
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I see OLED burn in on phones every day at work. All of my guys are issued Samsung S8s. Every one of them uses google maps for gps on them. Every time I have to fix something on their phone you can see a pink/red tint of google maps on them. Granted they are running google maps an hour to 2 hours a day. But that doesn’t seam like that much in a 11-12 hour day. But that’s probably 80% of their screen time.
JamesVG81 is offline  
post #65 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
caeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I may be dating myself but would an OLED be worse or better when compared to Plasma burn-in?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, SD Homerun Prime, (4)Apple TV, Channels App, Infuse
caeguy is offline  
post #66 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bardia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Lol... that's hardcore.
I can think of another word.....
Stereodude likes this.
Bardia is offline  
post #67 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,497
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4604
I'm really careful with my LG C7...I previously had a Panasonic VT30 plasma which developed slight burn-in from the ESPN ticker at the bottom of the screen...the burn-in was only noticeable when viewing an all white (or mostly white) image but it was definitely there
TitusTroy is offline  
post #68 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yeah I was there, indeed I just landed an hour ago in NYC.... and what I was doing is my own business, but feel free to speculate if it makes your Sunday more exciting.

As for the airport TVs, just saying what I saw. A bunch of ruined 2018 OLEDs. Some, very severe issues.

As you noted not typical home use, so feel free to ignore.

Others may see it as akin to accelerated testing on a sizable sample of screens and then note the correlation with what rtings is seeing.

What you seen was the wrong TV being used and that is where the story ended. Anyone that put OLED's or even plasma's in such areas for these purposes is a complete moron. Then you turn around and made it into more Burn In mongering. It seems like click bait. Plus the sample size of the "survey" was a wee bit small to be giving percentages. Burn in was possible on CRT, Plasma, and now OLED. What else do these 3 have in common? They also happen to have been the best picture quality of their time(s). Each TV has it's strength, and it's purpose, you buy the right one or you bought the wrong one. I believe anyone spending 3/4/5k on a TV is doing their research to some degree and should certainly be aware of the possibility of burn in. But this fear mongering tactic that everyone is jumping on again, just like the plasma days is a bit much. Plasma died for several reasons, but misinformation spread just like this was a huge part of why they did not sell. I do not want to see that happen again, I'm still on Plasma, and I do not want to see the only option being LCD.
DigitalGriffin and Markalark like this.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #69 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,106
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
What you seen was the wrong TV being used and that is where the story ended. Anyone that put OLED's or even plasma's in such areas for these purposes is a complete moron. Then you turn around and made it into more Burn In mongering. It seems like click bait. Plus the sample size of the "survey" was a wee bit small to be giving percentages. Burn in was possible on CRT, Plasma, and now OLED. What else do these 3 have in common? They also happen to have been the best picture quality of their time(s). Each TV has it's strength, and it's purpose, you buy the right one or you bought the wrong one. I believe anyone spending 3/4/5k on a TV is doing their research to some degree and should certainly be aware of the possibility of burn in. But this fear mongering tactic that everyone is jumping on again, just like the plasma days is a bit much. Plasma died for several reasons, but misinformation spread just like this was a huge part of why they did not sell. I do not want to see that happen again, I'm still on Plasma, and I do not want to see the only option being LCD.
Well, since the TVs were ads for OLED technology, I guess you have to point the finger to company that put them there. End of story. I just reported what I saw, nothing more or less. The discussion is over as the mods have asked to not dwell on it. I felt it was worth mentioning, everyone is entitled to their opinion but shooting the messenger seems to be fashionable these days.

So, let's make that the end of the airport discussion since the consensu is it does not translate well to the home experience for most viewers. Thanks.

As for "sample size" come on now, lol, maybe just "let it go" since there is no debate? The exact number of responses determine the exact percentage since it is not a "scientific" poll I am just reporting results. Math is math and 93% of respondents said no burn in. You want to argue the rest is not legit? You can't prove anything either way so why bother, I suggest taking it for what it is and not letting 7% or respondents saying something that can happen did happen cause any stress.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-19-2018 at 07:05 PM.
imagic is offline  
post #70 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,997
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
I’m starting to get pissed off at these networks who always have there logo displayed. Anything static is probably a bad thing .
I see some networks have gone to a white logo,and you can see threw it . Hopefully this helps . History channel has a red and yellow logo, so I quit watching it and cnn
totally agree. i wish the media coverage saw it that way too. Instead of article after article about the dangers of oled, why not put the blame where it's deserved? there is no reason for static logos, crawlers, etc. when CRT was the only option, these things didn't happen nearly as much, because when they did, they caused burn in and consumers got pissed. then LCD's came out, and they could handle static images well, and suddenly it was the displays fault.

either way it's a shame, because burn-in is a lot more avoidable if you don't watch network programming.

what i really need to see is comparisons between oled and plasma. i mean, i get that lcd's are going to be way less prone to burn-in, but that doesn't in any way tell me whether i personally need to worry about it. i've had zero burn-in issues with plasma, despite using one as my main PC display(htpc, so plenty of mixed usage) for over 3 years. so if oled is similar to plasma, then it's a non-issue for me. if it's significantly worse than plasma, then i'd like to know that.
newfmp3 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #71 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 4,588
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
totally agree. i wish the media coverage saw it that way too. Instead of article after article about the dangers of oled, why not put the blame where it's deserved? there is no reason for static logos, crawlers, etc. when CRT was the only option, these things didn't happen nearly as much, because when they did, they caused burn in and consumers got pissed. then LCD's came out, and they could handle static images well, and suddenly it was the displays fault.

either way it's a shame, because burn-in is a lot more avoidable if you don't watch network programming.

what i really need to see is comparisons between oled and plasma. i mean, i get that lcd's are going to be way less prone to burn-in, but that doesn't in any way tell me whether i personally need to worry about it. i've had zero burn-in issues with plasma, despite using one as my main PC display(htpc, so plenty of mixed usage) for over 3 years. so if oled is similar to plasma, then it's a non-issue for me. if it's significantly worse than plasma, then i'd like to know that.

yeah the logos are a major pain. I know what channel I am watching. I've heard it is also for piracy, with the logos in place its harder to make a clean copy. If you spent anytime around pirated content... you know they can get around that. Honestly the TV logos need to be banned. If anything they are distracting and ruining TV's.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #72 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,106
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
totally agree. i wish the media coverage saw it that way too. Instead of article after article about the dangers of oled, why not put the blame where it's deserved? there is no reason for static logos, crawlers, etc. when CRT was the only option, these things didn't happen nearly as much, because when they did, they caused burn in and consumers got pissed. then LCD's came out, and they could handle static images well, and suddenly it was the displays fault.

either way it's a shame, because burn-in is a lot more avoidable if you don't watch network programming.

what i really need to see is comparisons between oled and plasma. i mean, i get that lcd's are going to be way less prone to burn-in, but that doesn't in any way tell me whether i personally need to worry about it. i've had zero burn-in issues with plasma, despite using one as my main PC display(htpc, so plenty of mixed usage) for over 3 years. so if oled is similar to plasma, then it's a non-issue for me. if it's significantly worse than plasma, then i'd like to know that.
OK there's a good observation... that the graphic design of cable news channels is in effect an artefact of LCD flat screen ubiquity. I guess question number one is whether viewers created this. In other words, I cannot get into the mind of a news channel junkie. I do not watch TV at all, with the singular exceptions of once a week sports, some casual gaming, and tons of movies. Never all-day news channel.

But all-day news channel people exist, and I bet they like vivid mode too, lol. Which, i might note, is the mode all TV makers (who show TVs at all) use to show off TVs in their booths at CES. So all that coverage you read is of vivid mode TVs. Yay!

Hey I get it... burn in is not issue for the typical AVS member or commenter. Why would it? Just being here means you are exposed to what you need to know to avoid it. Like the article associated with this thread, lol.

Plasma's brightness limitations, BTW, are the beginning and end of that discussion. Run an OLED as dim as a plasma and you'll not have much to worry about. Brightness speeds up the uneven aging.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-19-2018 at 07:29 PM.
imagic is offline  
post #73 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,997
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Lol... that's hardcore.
it's hardcore if comparing to a 'good' lcd, but i can certainly understand where he's coming from. a few years back, i bought my first ever 'name brand' lcd, and it was even LED! i was pumped! It was a samsung d6000 and it was replacing a dynex lcd that i bought a couple years before. get it home, hook it up and start watching. hmm, weird... get into the settings a little bit. long story short, i was discovering flashlighting/clouding having no idea it existed. hours of tweaking and finally returning the tv as defective. second one comes home and it's even worse. at this point i start googling and discover this is consider normal. after one more attempt and viewing several samples in store before bringing them home, i ended up paying a few bux MORE for a d630 that used a CFL backlight instead(it was 1000% better imo, despite it's blacks being noticeably brighter).

according to reviews, there are certainly some lcd's with far better, dare i even say acceptable, uniformity. but after that experience it's been extremely hard to trust it. there were zero negative reviews that i could see about this model, or any of the others that i tried, and yet every single one was unwatachable imo. if i had to choose between an oled that would get burn-in in two years to the d6000, i probably just wouldn't buy a new tv...

to me, the struggle manufacturers have is convincing me i actually need a new tv. 4k, hdr, fancy designs don't mean anything unless the fundamentals are sound. i'm far more sensitive to black levels and screen uniformity than i am to resolution, or certainly 'nits'. i can honestly say i've been curious about some new tv's(almost exclusively oleds) but i haven't felt that desire to upgrade like i did when 16:9 was introduced, or when 1080p came out.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #74 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,106
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
it's hardcore if comparing to a 'good' lcd, but i can certainly understand where he's coming from. a few years back, i bought my first ever 'name brand' lcd, and it was even LED! i was pumped! It was a samsung d6000 and it was replacing a dynex lcd that i bought a couple years before. get it home, hook it up and start watching. hmm, weird... get into the settings a little bit. long story short, i was discovering flashlighting/clouding having no idea it existed. hours of tweaking and finally returning the tv as defective. second one comes home and it's even worse. at this point i start googling and discover this is consider normal. after one more attempt and viewing several samples in store before bringing them home, i ended up paying a few bux MORE for a d630 that used a CFL backlight instead(it was 1000% better imo, despite it's blacks being noticeably brighter).

according to reviews, there are certainly some lcd's with far better, dare i even say acceptable, uniformity. but after that experience it's been extremely hard to trust it. there were zero negative reviews that i could see about this model, or any of the others that i tried, and yet every single one was unwatachable imo. if i had to choose between an oled that would get burn-in in two years to the d6000, i probably just wouldn't buy a new tv...

to me, the struggle manufacturers have is convincing me i actually need a new tv. 4k, hdr, fancy designs don't mean anything unless the fundamentals are sound. i'm far more sensitive to black levels and screen uniformity than i am to resolution, or certainly 'nits'. i can honestly say i've been curious about some new tv's(almost exclusively oleds) but i haven't felt that desire to upgrade like i did when 16:9 was introduced, or when 1080p came out.
Agree 1000%, LCDs have only very recently started to do things that are special, relative to plasma and then OLED; a few years back the gulf between emissive and transmissive was wider. LCD won't get perfect blacks, likely, but viewing angles and FALD algorithms and sheer screen size (plus price at larger sizes) and some other things speak in their favor, it's just application dependent.

It is fair to say LCD has made more progress than some claimed it ever could, back then.

So... anyhow, micro-LED FTW!!!!
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #75 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,997
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
OK there's a good observation... that the graphic design of news sites is in effect an artefact of LCD flat screen ubiquity. I guess question number one is whether viewers created this. In other words, I cannot get into the mind of a news channel junkie. I do not watch TV at all, with the singular exceptions of once a week sports, some casual gaming, and tons of movies. Never all-day news channel.

But all-day news channel people exist, and I bet they like vivid mode too, lol. Which, i might note, is the mode all TV makers (who show TVs at all) use to show off TVs in their booths at CES. So all that coverage you read is of vivid mode TVs. Yay!

Hey I get it... burn in is not issue for the typical AVS member or commenter. Why would it? Just being here means you are exposed to what you need to know to avoid it. Like the article associated with this thread, lol.

Plasma's brightness limitations, BTW, are the beginning and end of that discussion. Run an OLED as dim as a plasma and you'll not have much to worry about. Brightness speeds up the uneven aging.
i remember learning about computers, and how much my teachers stressed the importance of using the screen savers. I also remember my parents expensive sony tv 'blowing the picture tube', which was total BS since they continued to use the tv for like 5 more years, and the tech's blaming it on using the 'dynamic' picture settings and static images on screen. video games were blamed for damaging tv's all the time it seemed as well.

it's obviously a combination of both. as some others have stated it's as much about picking the right tool for the job as anything else. but i've always found it frustrating how the average person is so willing to accept limitations in picture quality, but scared to death about the possibility of having to actually care for the product.

as for your last tidbit there, i'm going to take that as a positive endorsement for oled. i really don't see myself watching anything brighter than my f8500. Actually, i don't even like how bright it was when i got it. My lcd in my bedroom is also adjusted to a similar brightness. Anything more is quite uncomfortable for me, like i HAVE to turn the lights on(and not dimmed either) to watch or i get headaches in a matter of minutes. it's been a long time (ever?) since i haven't had to reduce the brightness of a screen. so if you're saying an oled calibrated to a similar peak output(say 35ftl) will be as stable as plasma, then i'm all set!

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #76 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,997
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Agree 1000%, LCDs have only very recently started to do things that are special, relative to plasma and then OLED; a few years back the gulf between emissive and transmissive was wider. LCD won't get perfect blacks, likely, but viewing angles and FALD algorithms and sheer screen size (plus price at larger sizes) and some other things speak in their favor, it's just application dependent.

It is fair to say LCD has made more progress than some claimed it ever could, back then.

So... anyhow, micro-LED FTW!!!!
there seemed to be an awkward stage where manufacturers were just trying to make tv's as thin as possible. this was unfortunately when i was buying. the absolute best, money no object, lcd tv that year(i want to say 2010/2011?) was an edgelit tv. FALD was too 'thick' to compete i guess, but manufacturers really hadn't figured out how to make the backlight uniform without it. all in all, it was just a negative experience. i think the most troubling part was how hard it was to see the uniformity issues in store, and how hard it was to hide them at home. I actually even tried installing some pot lights directly over the tv, just like they had in the store, but it always felt like a bandaid more than a solution.

i will say, IF lcd is actually performing the way some claim, than i'm pretty amazed it's made that much progress. i was certainly one the nay-sayers, largely due to the fact i felt every single LED tv on the market was worse than your typical mid-level CCFL based lcd, or the cheapest plasma you could find for that matter. i possibly just picked a really bad year to buy an lcd though.

either way, my priorities in life, and in home theater have changed quite a bit since then. so even if my tv broke, and i 'had' to replace it, i'd be looking for the cheapest 'acceptable' display now, rather than the best i could afford

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #77 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,997
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
yeah the logos are a major pain. I know what channel I am watching. I've heard it is also for piracy, with the logos in place its harder to make a clean copy. If you spent anytime around pirated content... you know they can get around that. Honestly the TV logos need to be banned. If anything they are distracting and ruining TV's.
it's of my opinion that the way to reduce piracy is to provide a superior product at a fair price.

it seems really troublesome when the $120/month cable package my parents pay for is low quality 720p where a 16:9 show is broadcast as a 4:3 format with black bars top and bottom, which is then pillar-boxed on the HD channels and suddenly you have a 32" picture on your 50" tv... and then on top of it all, there's the commercials. cable/broadcast tv is so backwards. it's more expensive, AND has more advertising, more restrictive services, and often strict contracts.

like, the only reason i downloaded music back in the day was because something like itunes/spotify/etc didn't exist and it didn't make sense to spend 25bux on a cd just to get one song i liked.

it just really shouldn't be possible to provide a better service for free, regardless of the content being 'stolen', the delivery system should always be better on a paid service(and that would certainly make it worth paying for). But sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. my netflix is decent, but it's certainly not trouble free, and the selection is very limited. I probably watch more youtube than netflix these days. actually there you go, youtube, with it's ads and all, seems to offer more variety, and more reliable service for free. So if networks want to continue forcing commercials and ads for their own network onto my tv, they shouldn't be charging me for it. If i'm paying, it's so that i don't have to deal with that crap. just like paying for a music service vs listening to the radio
newfmp3 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #78 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
As commercials get greater in number, and program timing getting less, people are more and more turning to streaming without the commercials, AND Logos!
News is less than an hour per day in my place.
newfmp3 likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #79 of 467 Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
As commercials get greater in number, and program timing getting less, people are more and more turning to streaming and BDs without the commercials, AND Logos!
News is less than an hour per day in my place.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #80 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Waffles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I work at a retail chain that sells Sony & LG OLED displays and have them on demo mode for 12 hours a day. We have one 3 year old LG OLED we store used and put it in our break room because that display is severely burned. It really is bad to the point it is very distracting to watch. I haven't seen any issues with burn-in or customer returns for burn-in at all. I myself have a Sony 65" OLED and absolutely love it.
Waffles is offline  
post #81 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It takes a special kind of person to buy a oled tv, imagine not been able to watch sports, news or play video games for long periods because you dont want your tv to burn in. You spend thousands of dollars and you cant really enjoy your tv its like buying a sick dog. Oled tv owners are also very defensive and will curse you out if you point out the weaknesses of their tv.
srkmish likes this.
techvader is offline  
post #82 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jawaburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by techvader View Post
It takes a special kind of person to buy a oled tv, imagine not been able to watch sports, news or play video games for long periods because you dont want your tv to burn in. You spend thousands of dollars and you cant really enjoy your tv its like buying a sick dog. Oled tv owners are also very defensive and will curse you out if you point out the weaknesses of their tv.
I never watch sports, news or play video games, and I have zero interest in doing so. I watch some streaming like Netflix, YouTube and HBO Now, and I watch movies on disc. I don't have cable or an antenna hooked up to my TV. Not everyone who gets an OLED TV is sad they can't, or shouldn't, watch sports and CNN all the time.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Jawaburger is offline  
post #83 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Member
 
bushman311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by techvader View Post
It takes a special kind of person to buy a oled tv, imagine not been able to watch sports, news or play video games for long periods because you dont want your tv to burn in. You spend thousands of dollars and you cant really enjoy your tv its like buying a sick dog. Oled tv owners are also very defensive and will curse you out if you point out the weaknesses of their tv.
I watch sports, news, and play video games for extended periods of time on my OLED. No issues, but apparently I'm a "special kind of person" so that's nice.


Also interesting that this article is directly underneath a Samsung QLED TV giveaway article.
helvetica bold likes this.
bushman311 is offline  
post #84 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,106
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman311 View Post
I watch sports, news, and play video games for extended periods of time on my OLED. No issues, but apparently I'm a "special kind of person" so that's nice.


Also interesting that this article is directly underneath a Samsung QLED TV giveaway article.
Lol, it's actually not all that interesting at all. The giveaway post remains at or near the top of the homepage until that promotion is done. New articles start at the top of the homepage and work their way down as new posts go up. So, all posts this month at one point or another were "directly underneath" the giveaway. Currently, Black Friday deals on SVS subwoofers holds that honor.

Now, it's in the fifth slot, right after Ralph's review of the Matrix Trilogy on 4K Blu-ray. Can you tell me what the hidden meaning of that is?
bushman311 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-20-2018 at 10:34 AM.
imagic is offline  
post #85 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DigitalGriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA USA
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
There are LCDs that look great, maybe not right at the level of OLEDs, but top-tier LCDs can get very close.

I had a rear-projection CRT TV that developed burn-in (most notably lines at 4:3 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio borders on the 16:9 screen) and avoided plasma because the burn-in on my TV bugged me and I didn't want to invest in another TV where it would be a problem. That was also a reason I decided to go LCD over OLED (also being able to get a much larger size for similar money to a smaller OLED).

MicroLED can't come soon enough, assuming that will be free from burn-in concerns.
MicroLEDs work like any other LEDs and have an exponential decay to half brightness at around 40,000 hours. If one pixel is lit longer than another, then it's brightness comparitively goes down with time.

LCD's don't suffer this issue because the same light source lights all the sub pixels. That said, a bright station logo on a FALD will cause that part of the backlight to burn brighter longer possibly leading to slight uneveness over time.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
DigitalGriffin is offline  
post #86 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,185
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3586
just as a point of interest: LCD's can also exhibit burn in, although the technology has advanced to the point where LCD burn in is rare these days

remember AVS reports of Dell laptops that had the WIN logo/ toolbar burned in on the screen, and Sharp LCD's with logo's burned in

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #87 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,106
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
just as a point of interest: LCD's can also exhibit burn in, although the technology has advanced to the point where LCD burn in is rare these days

remember AVS reports of Dell laptops that had the WIN logo/ toolbar burned in on the screen, and Sharp LCD's with logo's burned in
I'm even seen temporary image retention with some phosphor-based LCDs, I recall a Panasonic FALD from a few years back that behaved that way.

A reasonable conclusion is that emissive displays using quantum dots do appear to have great durability and resistance to any sort of burn in or retention, even when a display is blasting away in vivid mode. But that does not apply to all LCDs.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #88 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman311 View Post
I watch sports, news, and play video games for extended periods of time on my OLED. No issues, but apparently I'm a "special kind of person" so that's nice.


Also interesting that this article is directly underneath a Samsung QLED TV giveaway article.
Do you understand the facts of the technology. Oled is an organic material where the pixels age and dims over time so if you are watching anything with static content that part of the screen will age and dim faster, first it will be imagine retention then permanent burn in its not a matter of if its a matter of when. You might not have issues today but eventually you will, I am speaking the truth you may not like it but it doesn't change the facts.
srkmish likes this.
techvader is offline  
post #89 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
I never watch sports, news or play video games, and I have zero interest in doing so. I watch some streaming like Netflix, YouTube and HBO Now, and I watch movies on disc. I don't have cable or an antenna hooked up to my TV. Not everyone who gets an OLED TV is sad they can't, or shouldn't, watch sports and CNN all the time.
In that case you wont have any issues but if you have family in your house and they want to use the tv for this kind of content you will have to stop them from doing so, its still a shame to spend so much money on a tv with limited options.
techvader is offline  
post #90 of 467 Old 11-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
cgpublic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 178
There You Have It

Sure, burn-in is a potential risk for OLED technology, as is placing your AVR in cabinet without proper ventilation.

Both are what is known as a manageable risk.

If you properly manage your equipment, you minimize or eliminate the risk.

LED failure resulting in panel discoloration for FALD technology?

That's what is known as an unmanageable risk.

Ignore it or dread it, it may, or may not, come all the same.

The bottom line is that if you view 4K disc-based content, OLED is head and shoulders superior to every other TV or projection system.

That's all there is to it.

Never forget there are risks with every type of technology for every manufacturer, and nobody lives forever.
smitty and markrubin like this.

Space | The Media Room: 590 CUFT [10.5 L x 7.5 W x 7.5 H] | View Distance: 6' | Audyssey MultEQ | FiOS Gigabit Ethernet
Sound | 5.1.2 Atmos: Denon AVR-S920W | Pioneer A. Jones SP-BS22-LR/SP-C22/SP-T22A-LR | Polk OWM3 | Emotiva BasX S8
Vision | 4K OLED: LG C8 | LG UBK90 | Panasonic DP-UB820 | Apple TV 4K | Microsoft XB1S | FiOS Moto
cgpublic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off