First IMAX Enhanced Titles Now Available - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #61 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm not an engineer, nor am I reverse engineer. But, thanks for quoting the article... My words did make it clear it is DTS:X, right? I did not use the word proprietary there, either—that's your word. My wording is derived from IMAX wording on the imaxenhanced.com site. By definition, "variant" is a lot different from "proprietary." IMAX refers to the audio mix itself, and also the video enhancement processing used in mastering the disc, as proprietary. The same term is not attached to the DTS:X processing.
Well, it is proprietary in the sense that the codec variant is officially branded with the IMAX name, and is only available to content that goes through the IMAX certification process.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 10:36 AM

I also watched Journey to the South Pacific last night. Although that soundtrack has a fair amount of height activity, I didn't notice any specific Center Height effects like the voices in A Beautiful Planet.

The video quality on South Pacific is nowhere near as good as Beautiful Planet, at least not on the Blu-ray copy. It looks like an older master that's only mediocre in detail and has too much obvious processing to boost the colors and contrast. I don't have a 4k projector at the moment, but I downconverted the UHD copy to 1080p/SDR and (after playing around with my player's tone mapping settings) it seems to be from the same source. This doesn't speak very well to the "proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX to digitally re-master content to produce more vibrant colors, greater contrast and sharper clarity."

Just as a movie, the South Pacific one is also pretty bad, even by the standards of these IMAX nature docs. Some nice scenery, but the way it portrays the jolly island villagers feels like cultural exploitation, and the piece has a really cringeworthy musical number with singing fish in the middle of it.

Anyone curious about this IMAX Enhanced thing can stick with Beautiful Planet. The content is tolerable and the video quality is much better. Save your money and leave South Pacific on the shelf.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #63 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
It seems a lot of people are somehow allergic to enthusiastic writing styles. LOL
I think it is more that people are trying to decide if this is enthusiastic writing or objectiveless hyperbole. It reminds me a lot of people that spend $10,000 on a pair of 2 meter speaker cables and claim that it completely changed the sound of their speakers. Wording found in this press release is very similar to the snake oil salesmen.
Art Sonneborn and mtbdudex like this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked: 5338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I've never used dynamic range compression, so it didn't occur to me to check that. The IMAX soundtrack did not alter my crossover settings, at least not that can be discerned from the receiver's user menus. My front three speakers remain crossed over at 80Hz and most of the others at 100Hz.

I suppose I could try manually setting my crossovers below 70Hz (say, to 40 or 50) and then checking whether the soundtrack raises them. I'm doubtful of that, though. I did experiment with changing my front towers to Large and the soundtrack didn't change that.
Josh - Sanjay mentioned this discussion... it occurs to me that IMAX wouldn't edit the receiver's speaker config user menus. If it's doing some proprietary override of the bass management and applying a 70Hz global value, I highly doubt it's going to be reflected in SPEAKERS > MANUAL SETUP > CROSSOVERS which is the "baseline" settings that apply globally.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #65 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
However ,look at what one needs in the setup to take advantage of it even in a compromised way.
An IMAX Enhanced Ultra HD Blu-ray, a player, a 4K HDR TV and a surround-sound system that supports DTS:X is all you need for that. AVS Forum members know how to set their systems up to play these discs at a very high level of fidelity, logo or no logo.

This has all come up numerous times in my discussions with IMAX. If you buy the disc, you are experiencing it.

The certified gear adds automation and confirmation to the mix. Namely, the AVR switches to optimized DTS:X settings and tells you so.

I'm looking forward to what Hollywood titles are released.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-20-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #66 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7382 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
However ,look at what one needs in the setup to take advantage of it even in a compromised way.
Audio-wise, one needs a typical DTS:X 7.1.4 set-up to take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced soundtracks. Nothing more complicated than that.

Sanjay
post #67 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
An IMAX Enhanced Ultra HD Blu-ray, a player, a 4K HDR TV and a surround-sound system that supports DTS:X is all you need for that. AVS Forum members know how to set their systems up to play these discs at a very high level of fidelity, logo or no logo.

This has all come up numerous times in my discussions with IMAX. If you buy the disc, you are experiencing it.

The certified gear adds automation and confirmation to the mix. Namely, the AVR switches to optimized DTS:X settings and tells you so.
Really !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
With typical home theatre set-ups, seating is usually in the back half of the room. As such, the biggest gap between speakers is between the Fronts and Sides. A pair of Wides can help bridge that gap, so you will benefit from having 9 speakers in the base layer.

Likewise, having 4 speakers in the height layer means that there are height speakers in front of you and behind you. Sound intended to appear directly above you have to be reproduced as phantom images. A third pair of heights can replace the phantom images with more stable hard sources (speakers), so you will benefit from having 6 speakers in the height layer.

As with most things in this hobby, the additional speakers fall into the 'desired, not required' category. As a general rule, the more speakers used, the less reliance on phantom imaging. The less reliance on phantom imaging, the more stable your soundfield (for ALL listeners). Going beyond 7.1.4 will bring incremental benefits. But that's better than no improvement.

Can't help but notice to take advantage of it ,even in a compromised fashion, would take at least what I have in my room.

A lot like HDR in my room even at 240 nits its a huge compromise compared to an OLED Or the Christie large venue.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 12-20-2018 at 01:49 PM.
post #68 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Really !
Yes, really. You quoted my reply to a question about the benefits of going beyond a 7.1.4 speaker layout. Has nothing to do with IMAX Enhanced.

Sanjay
post #69 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, really. You quoted my reply to a question about the benefits of going beyond a 7.1.4 speaker layout. Has nothing to do with IMAX Enhanced.
Exactly ! And what would be brought up by you if one didn't have it.. my point.

Art
post #70 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Exactly ! And what would be brought up by you if one didn't have it.. my point.
If one "didn't have" more than a 7.1.4 set-up, then they would have a 7.1.4 set-up. That's all that is required to take full advantage (no compromise) of an IMAX Enhanced soundtrack. You can add more speakers, but they won't produce sound. Again, that discussion had nothing to do with IMAX Enhanced.

Sanjay
post #71 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Likewise, having 4 speakers in the height layer means that there are height speakers in front of you and behind you. Sound intended to appear directly above you have to be reproduced as phantom images. A third pair of heights can replace the phantom images with more stable hard sources (speakers), so you will benefit from having 6 speakers in the height layer.
This says there is some benefit thus ...without, some compromise.

Art

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 12-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.
post #72 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
This says there is some benefit thus without some compromise.
Again, that conversation had nothing to do with IMAX Enhanced soundtracks, which max out at 7.1.4 channels (as all DTS:X soundtracks currently do). As such, you can add an additional pair of heights to get 6 overhead speakers, but the additional pair of heights will be silent. No benefit.

Sanjay
post #73 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but if any settings are being changed, there is no indication in the AVR of that beyond "IMAX" showing up on the front panel. That's literally the only thing the new codec variant appears to do. There is no apparent automation or confirmation beyond that.

Again, I just don't understand what the point of this new codec variant is supposed to be when it doesn't seem to do anything you don't already get in a normal DTS:X track.

Josh Z

post #74 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Josh - Sanjay mentioned this discussion... it occurs to me that IMAX wouldn't edit the receiver's speaker config user menus. If it's doing some proprietary override of the bass management and applying a 70Hz global value, I highly doubt it's going to be reflected in SPEAKERS > MANUAL SETUP > CROSSOVERS which is the "baseline" settings that apply globally.
So, you think the codec is applying a secret override of the AVR's crossover settings without indicating that anywhere? That seems like a really dangerous practice. What are viewers whose speakers don't reach down to that new crossover supposed to do?

I think it more likely that the soundtrack is bass managed during the mixing stage to move any bass below 70Hz to the LFE channel. In fact, I'm pretty confident that's exactly what's happening.

I normally cross over my front towers at 80Hz, but they're capable of going down to about 30Hz if I needed them to. There's a pretty bassy moment near the beginning of A Beautiful Planet. As a test, I set my fronts to Large and unplugged my subwoofer. Almost all the bass in that scene vanished. Leaving the fronts as Large and the sub unplugged, I then switched the subwoofer channel to "No." Immediately, most of that bass came back, because my receiver redirected it from the unplugged subwoofer to my fronts instead. The majority of bass in the soundtrack seems to have been pre-filtered into the LFE channel.

Assuming I'm correct, this is all done during mixing and is inherent to the soundtrack. It will do the same thing on any A/V receiver, IMAX Enhanced or no.

Which, again, leaves me questioning exactly what (if anything) the IMAX Enhanced codec does and why anyone should be expected to upgrade their A/V receiver to get it.

Josh Z

post #75 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
So, you think the codec is applying a secret override of the AVR's crossover settings without indicating that anywhere?
Possibly.... my point is that if it did have some proprietary bass management that was part of the decoding process, it wouldn't be something you could verify by going to the GLOBAL speaker config settings. Not sure what's going on, but just pointing out that checking the speaker config isn't proof one way or the other.

Quote:
I normally cross over my front towers at 80Hz, but they're capable of going down to about 30Hz if I needed them to. There's a pretty bassy moment near the beginning of A Beautiful Planet. As a test, I set my fronts to Large and unplugged my subwoofer. Almost all the bass in that scene vanished.
That particular test -- while establishing for sure that there is some pre-filtering of the content to the LFE channel -- doesn't resolve whether or not there is an additional "secret override" of the global bass management settings.

I'm trying to think of a good way to test that.... how about you repeat the test, unplugging the subwoofer and isolating the FR/FL mains, and then try setting the crossover to the max 250Hz? If the IMAX mode respects the global bass management settings, then you'll hear even more bass disappear (70hz vs 250hz should be audible). If the IMAX codec is overriding the global bass management settings, then it should sound the same regardless of what the crossover is set to.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #76 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 09:35 PM

Some more data:

There is an option in the receiver's setup menu to turn off IMAX mode. When I do this, the AVR front panel reads "DTS:X MSTR."

Chapter 2 of Beautiful Planet begins with a fairly decent, steady bass beat in the song playing on the soundtrack. With a sound level meter on a tripod in my chair, I replayed the scene a bunch of times, toggling IMAX mode on and off. With IMAX on, the track is both audibly and measurably louder than with it off and standard DTS:X. What I couldn't tell for certain at this point is whether IMAX mode adds just a bass boost or if it's a global volume boost. (More on this shortly.)

Next I flipped Dolby Volume from Off to Heavy compression and back a bunch of times. The compression affects both IMAX and regular DTS:X modes, reducing bass output on both. IMAX mode does not completely override the DRC setting. However, IMAX mode is still louder relative to regular DTS:X.

Back to the question of bass boost or volume boost. Chapter 4 opens with some Jennifer Lawrence narration. No music, no loud sound effects. Her voice measured slightly louder with IMAX mode turned on, but not as much as the bassy music in Chapter 2.

All this leads me to conclude that IMAX mode adds a bass boost, and perhaps also a small overall volume boost. So, I guess I was wrong and it does do something. Whether that something is desirable or not will be a matter of opinion. If you already feel that you have your bass dialed in perfectly, you may not want a feature like this artificially cranking it up. (To me, it does seem kind of bloated.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAX.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	2499262  
Art Sonneborn and Reddig like this.

Josh Z

post #77 of 211 Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a good way to test that.... how about you repeat the test, unplugging the subwoofer and isolating the FR/FL mains, and then try setting the crossover to the max 250Hz? If the IMAX mode respects the global bass management settings, then you'll hear even more bass disappear (70hz vs 250hz should be audible). If the IMAX codec is overriding the global bass management settings, then it should sound the same regardless of what the crossover is set to.
I'm trying this again right now, and I'm getting some really weird results that actually contradict what I said before.

First, I'll start with just DTS:X, IMAX mode turned off. Subwoofer unplugged.

Front Speakers = Large
Subwoofer = Yes

As I expected, there's negligible bass here. The track seems to be pre-filtered to move most of the bass to the LFE channel, which is vanishing because I unplugged the sub.

Front = Small
Subwoofer = Yes

Much the same. No bass.

Front = Large
Subwoofer = No

Most of the bass comes back. The AVR redirects it from the LFE channel to the mains. This is logical. So far, so good.

The AVR does not allow an option of Front = Small, Subwoofer = No. Turning off the sub automatically changes Front to Large, which makes sense. If there's no subwoofer, the front speakers have to do most of the heavy lifting no matter what size they are.

Now I turn IMAX mode on and things go kind of crazy.

Front = Large
Subwoofer = Yes

Same result as before. Very little bass. OK, but...

Front = Large
Subwoofer = No

Barely any better. Only a tiny improvement in bass. I'm perplexed. All the bass should be going into my front speakers now. Where did it go?

To reassure myself that I'm not imagining this, I turn IMAX mode off. Yup, there's the bass. IMAX on, no bass. Huh?

And then...

Front = Small
Subwoofer = Yes

Now all the bass is back, in force. The best results yet with my subwoofer unplugged. WHAT??? This makes zero sense. With this combination of settings, the bass should all be going to my unplugged subwoofer, not to my main speakers. What is happening here??!!

I then try Batpig's suggestion of changing the crossover to 250Hz. Zero difference in results. The crossover doesn't seem to do anything.

Quote:
If the IMAX mode respects the global bass management settings, then you'll hear even more bass disappear (70hz vs 250hz should be audible).
If I switch back to DTS:X, Front = Small, Subwoofer = Yes, this is what happens. What little bass there was practically vanishes with a 250Hz crossover.

Quote:
If the IMAX codec is overriding the global bass management settings, then it should sound the same regardless of what the crossover is set to.
Well, then I guess that really is it. With IMAX on, a crossover of 250Hz makes no audible difference.

It's getting late and I need to reset all my equipment. My brain is fried. I'll leave it to someone else to interpret these results.

Long story short: IMAX mode does secretly override some of your receiver's global settings and applies processing to manipulate the audio signal beyond what DTS:X does. I'll be damned if I can figure out WHY it's doing some of the things it does, and I'm not sure I like them.

Also: I'll be happy to go the rest of my life without listening to Paul McCartney sing "Let 'Em In" again.
sdurani and batpig like this.

Josh Z

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.
post #78 of 211 Old 12-21-2018, 08:46 AM

Mulling this over the next morning, the conclusion I'm coming to is that the IMAX Enhanced mode in the AVR is essentially a DSP feature that boosts bass and does some other manipulating of the signal to give the sound more "oomph." Unlike other DSPs (Church Hall, Rock Stadium, etc.), this one is only accessible specifically to DTS:X soundtracks encoded with IMAX metadata that activates it. It probably could be applied to other soundtracks, but IMAX wants to keep its use proprietary to give the impression that their soundtracks have something special and unique.

(For that matter, they could just mix the soundtrack with the extra bass and other tweaking in the first place so that it sounds the same on all equipment, rather than rely on downstream processing. But I suppose then they wouldn't have an excuse to license their branding to AVR manufacturers.)

Also, I do not understand at all the results I'm getting when I use either of these speaker setting combinations:

Front = Large
Subwoofer = No

Front = Small
Subwoofer = Yes

What happens to the bass in those scenarios defies all logic.

Josh Z

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-21-2018 at 08:54 AM.
post #79 of 211 Old 12-21-2018, 09:38 AM

I had Mark Seaton spend about 10 to 11 hours in my room with my Trinnov and JBL 11.1.6 (or 11.8.6 depending on your preferred nomenclature) giving me not only a nice functionality generally but several other easy to use presets including Bass Boost mode , a mode with the heights emphasized and another with the widths emphasized(among others).

I'm wondering Josh if you think I would hear a difference that is in some way superior though the use of this ?
sdrucker likes this.
post #80 of 211 Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I had Mark Seaton spend about 10 to 11 hours in my room with my Trinnov and JBL 11.1.6 (or 11.8.6 depending on your preferred nomenclature) giving me not only a nice functionality generally but several other easy to use presets including Bass Boost mode , a mode with the heights emphasized and another with the widths emphasized(among others).

I'm wondering Josh if you think I would hear a difference that is in some way superior though the use of this ?
Beats the hell out of me.

I'm thinking that if your custom modes are tuned to your personal preferences, they'll probably give you something you'll enjoy more.

Josh Z

post #81 of 211 Old 12-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Long story short: IMAX mode does secretly override some of your receiver's global settings and applies processing to manipulate the audio signal beyond what DTS:X does.
Crazy! Thanks for testing. The impression I got from chatting with people at the IMAX demos during CEDIA was that the IMAX DTS mode had its own proprietary bass management, and your tests do seem to confirm that the audio track is pre-filtered at 70Hz and ALSO it adds a "secret override" of your bass management settings.

The results you got with large/small and sub on/off are definitely perplexing. I feel like there has to be a bug somewhere if the LFE isn't being redirected back to the mains when Sub = NO.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #82 of 211 Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Does IMAX have any pending Marvel/Disney releases? A soundtrack with more oomph would definitely be appreciated compared to what has already been released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bdmckinl likes this.
post #83 of 211 Old 12-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Does IMAX have any pending Marvel/Disney releases? A soundtrack with more oomph would definitely be appreciated compared to what has already been released.

That's entirely up to Disney. The studio doesn't seem particularly interested in putting decent audio on its releases.
RichB, sdurani, Ted99 and 2 others like this.

Josh Z

post #84 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
First IMAX Enhanced Titles Now Available

Look what I just bought.
I’m 7.2.6 via my Denon 8500H, will give A vs B opinion here

Realized dts is limited to 11ch so 7.2.4 then

First this

Then loaded

Then switched to this

7.2.4 via FH and RH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperFist likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 12-22-2018 at 04:10 PM.
post #85 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The majority of bass in the soundtrack seems to have been pre-filtered into the LFE channel.
Quote:
If you already feel that you have your bass dialed in perfectly, you may not want a feature like this artificially cranking it up.
We already know that IMAX soundtracks don't have a discrete LFE channel; they're 5.0 or 6.0 (5 + upper centre) or the more recent 12-channel immersive mixes. Which means the .1 channel on an IMAX Enhanced disc is not Low Frequency Effects but instead the pre-filtered bass from all the main channels. Combining content from multiple channels can result in overloading (clipping), so that would require lowering the level of the pre-filtered bass before being combined into the .1 channel. But that means during playback the IMAX DTS:X mode would have to apply the same amount of boost to bring the bass back to it original level (not to "artificially crank it up").

I'm guessing that's the reason you're hearing louder bass in IE mode compared to straight DTS:X decoding: non-IE soundtracks don't require this particular boost to restore the original bass level, so it's not one of the steps of DTS:X decoding, only part of the IE playback mode. BTW, this appears to be specific to how IMAX soundtracks are translated to home video and doesn't have anything to do with the traditional bass management that's happening in your receiver (in IE and non-IE modes). Also, the next time you compare IE mode to straight DTS:X decoding, set all your crossovers temporarily to 70Hz to eliminate another variable during comparison.

Sanjay
post #86 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3030 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
The results you got with large/small and sub on/off are definitely perplexing. I feel like there has to be a bug somewhere if the LFE isn't being redirected back to the mains when Sub = NO.
Could be a bug. Or maybe the IMAX mode assumes a subwoofer is present, so even though the user accessible settings still allows the choice of Sub = No, just like it allows the user to choose 250 Hz crossovers, those settings are ignored in the IMAX mode.

In other words, you cannot change IMAX mode playback to use different crossovers, and you cannot turn off the subwoofer. Those choices pertain only to the non-IMAX mode.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #87 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Could be a bug. Or maybe the IMAX mode assumes a subwoofer is present, so even though the user accessible settings still allows the choice of Sub = No, just like it allows the user to choose 250 Hz crossovers, those settings are ignored in the IMAX mode.

In other words, you cannot change IMAX mode playback to use different crossovers, and you cannot turn off the subwoofer. Those choices pertain only to the non-IMAX mode.
But there is a clear difference between either this:

Front Speakers = Large
Subwoofer = Yes

Or this:

Front = Large
Subwoofer = No

vs. this:

Front = Small
Subwoofer = Yes

Illogically, it puts more bass into the front speakers when you set them for Small.

Josh Z

post #88 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
We already know that IMAX soundtracks don't have a discrete LFE channel; they're 5.0 or 6.0 (5 + upper centre) or the more recent 12-channel immersive mixes. Which means the .1 channel on an IMAX Enhanced disc is not Low Frequency Effects but instead the pre-filtered bass from all the main channels. Combining content from multiple channels can result in overloading (clipping), so that would require lowering the level of the pre-filtered bass before being combined into the .1 channel. But that means during playback the IMAX DTS:X mode would have to apply the same amount of boost to bring the bass back to it original level (not to "artificially crank it up").

I'm guessing that's the reason you're hearing louder bass in IE mode compared to straight DTS:X decoding: non-IE soundtracks don't require this particular boost to restore the original bass level, so it's not one of the steps of DTS:X decoding, only part of the IE playback mode. BTW, this appears to be specific to how IMAX soundtracks are translated to home video and doesn't have anything to do with the traditional bass management that's happening in your receiver (in IE and non-IE modes). Also, the next time you compare IE mode to straight DTS:X decoding, set all your crossovers temporarily to 70Hz to eliminate another variable during comparison.
Are you suggesting that IMAX soundtracks are always the IMAX theatrical sound mix and not remixed for near-field (or mid-field) home theater? Wouldn't it be more logical to do home video mixes that would benefit all viewers, rather than rely on this new sound mode (that's only available on a small handful of receivers) to restore bass that was always intended to be in the soundtrack after-the-fact? What are other viewers supposed to do?

Wouldn't this also imply that, until now, viewers watching IMAX content on Blu-ray have always experienced reduced bass without realizing it?

Personally, to my ear, the bass in these two soundtracks sounds bloated when I turn on the IMAX mode, in comparison to turning it off. Even the Jennifer Lawrence and Cate Blanchett voiceover narrations rumble my seat a little.

We could certainly use a larger sample size than just these two documentaries, but at present, I'm still inclined to believe that the IMAX mode is artificially cranking up the bass.

Josh Z

post #89 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that IMAX soundtracks are always the IMAX theatrical sound mix and not remixed for near-field (or mid-field) home theater?
I was replying to your observation about louder bass in the IE mode compared to straight DTS:X decoding. What does that have to do with changing the high frequency roll-off (re-mastering for near-field)? Most movie soundtracks have some amount of dynamic range compression, from subtle to noticeable (coughDisneycough). The IMAX Enhanced program has promised not to use any dynamic range compression for their IE home video releases. IF that means they are not doing a home theatre re-mix, then they would not be the first (Paramount essentially ports their theatrical tracks to Blu-ray).
Quote:
What are other viewers supposed to do?
They won't have to lament the bass sounding "kind of bloated". After complaining about the bass boost ("you may not want a feature like this"), are you now complaining about the lack of it?
Quote:
Wouldn't this also imply that, until now, viewers watching IMAX content on Blu-ray have always experienced reduced bass without realizing it?
Prior to the IE program, has there been any IMAX content on Blu-ray which had pre-filtered bass pooled into the .1 channel that required a level drop during encoding and compensating boost during playback?

Sanjay
post #90 of 211 Old 12-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The IMAX Enhanced program has promised not to use any dynamic range compression for their IE home video releases. IF that means they are not doing a home theatre re-mix, then they would not be the first (Paramount essentially ports their theatrical tracks to Blu-ray). They won't have to lament the bass sounding "kind of bloated". After complaining about the bass boost ("you may not want a feature like this"), are you now complaining about the lack of it?
What I'm questioning is what is the intent here? Irrespective of my personal opinion of it, is the bass supposed to be in the mix or not supposed to be in the mix? If it's supposed to be in the mix, it would seem wiser to do a dedicated home video remix of the soundtrack to ensure that all viewers get the same results. Relying on this special IMAX mode that's only available in a small number of receivers is essentially a big F-U to anyone who doesn't have one of those receivers.

I still don't see the need for a special IMAX codec and hardware when it seems like everything they're doing could have been accomplished at the soundtrack mixing stage and played back through normal DTS:X or Atmos.

Quote:
Prior to the IE program, has there been any IMAX content on Blu-ray which had pre-filtered bass pooled into the .1 channel that required a level drop during encoding and compensating boost during playback?

I have no idea. I didn't know they did that at all until you explained it.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
a beautiful planet , imax enhanced , journey to the south pacific

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page