8K Association is Formed at CES 2019 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16168
8K Association is Formed at CES 2019

I'm at CES 2019 in Las vegas right now and only have enough time to share press releases. Here's the news on the new 8K association:

"Las Vegas - A group of the world’s leading display technology brands have come together at CES 2019 to form a new industry organization: The 8K Association (8KA). Founding companies for the 8KA include leading panel supplier AU Optronics (AUO) along with consumer electronics giants Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung Electronics and TCL Electronics. Panel supplier Samsung Display is also in the process of joining the 8KA. This international group of leaders recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to form the nonprofit organization to advance their common vision and mission.

Specific goals of the organization include:

· Promoting 8K TVs and 8K Content to consumers and professionals

· Helping educate consumers and professionals about the 8K ecosystem

· Helping secure 8K native content for members

· Encouraging service providers (especially OTT) to develop 8K offerings

· Facilitating communication within 8K ecosystem to help with commercialization

· Developing initial technical requirements for 8K input signals

· Developing initial 8K TV categories and minimum specifications for image quality

The organization will work on developing the entire value chain for 8K with an initial focus on supporting the early commercialization and adoption of 8K TVs. A web site for the organization with some additional information can be found at: www.8kassociation.com.

“The 8K Association will not only provide an effective introduction to 8K technology but will also accelerate the beginning of the 8K era,” said Hyogun Lee, Executive Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “By leading the early stages of ecosystem development, Samsung will further solidify its global leadership in the 8K market.”

"8KA helps to accelerate the development of 8K eco-system and the popularization of 8K products,” said Dr. Weidong Liu, the chief scientist of Hisense Electronics. “Hisense will bring 8K ULED products to market and will provide consumers with excellent picture quality and extraordinary visual experiences.”

Building on the newly founded 8K Association and powered by major investments in the latest-generation large-screen 8K-ready panel production facilities, the newest of which enters production in early 2019, TCL will pave the way for an 8K era and actively encourage a wide range of business partners - from streaming services and hardware manufactures - to take the lead in making 8K widely available and accessible.

“The newly founded 8K Association will help drive the introduction of 8K technology in the North American and world market,” said Chris Larson, Senior Vice President of TCL North America. “TCL will become a global leader in 8K display technology and push our partners, both streaming services and manufacturers, to provide consumers with the best possible content in this emerging new market.”

“AUO has long been devoted to the development of advanced display technologies and was among the first to have introduced 8K technology to large-sized TV displays, said WeiLung Liau, CTO of AUO. “It is hoped that through the founding of 8K Association with partners of the ecosystem, globally consistent standards will be established to accelerate the adoption of 8K technology, delivering the best image performance possible for viewers worldwide.

"In Japan commercial 8K broadcasting via satellite was launched from 1st December 2018. Accordingly, we at Panasonic strongly expect that this Association will lead the 8K ecosystem creating both business opportunities and consumer benefits." said Michiko Ogawa, Executive Officer of Panasonic Corporation.” - 8K Association

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 926
I really hope my 4K UHD collection doesn't go obsolete already

Will be interesting to see what 8K does to home Cinema.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post

Rubbing hands vigorously - send me your worthless UHD BRs - I’ll buy them all. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dnoonie, lucacow, RagtopFE and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 584
The next shiny new thing...
Panson and m_lesiu like this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #5 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post

Too bad, but your 4K collection will be obsolete. Don't fret. Unless you are sitting close, you are still not seeing 4K yet.
noah katz, markmon1 and Panson like this.
post #6 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
And we wonder why bluray and UHD doesn't become the leading format for sales. Casual consumers keep hearing about the next technology before they even get a chance to buy the current one.

They'll keep buying DVD's and use streaming.

home theater addict
post #7 of 75 Old 01-08-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Too bad, but your 4K collection will be obsolete. Don't fret. Unless you are sitting close, you are still not seeing 4K yet.

9.5 feet from a 12’ wide screen. Am I seeing 4k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matted likes this.
post #8 of 75 Old 01-09-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
9.5 feet from a 12’ wide screen. Am I seeing 4k?

Doesn't matter, you're seeing HDR and REC2020 (DCI only so far) which are much more significant than 4K.

I wonder if 8K will also bring something else than more resolution?

Robert
post #9 of 75 Old 01-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
8K is one reason 3D as a process is out. That doesn't mean 3D as an effect is out but that it is implicit in further display advancement. I read one reviewer say that the native 8K he saw on Sony's Z9G is 3-dimensional, because distant objects are now able to be resolved, while near objects have tremendous immediacy. He said the subjective effect is like looking out a window instead of at a screen. At the show Sony is using the buzzword, "realness".

It's not just a numbers game. Greater pixel density is necessary to scale up the visual impact of larger, 85-inch-and-over screens at close viewing distances, towards the total visual field which goggles achieved at the cost of brain damage. Even discounting the hype factor, it suggests the direction TV makers are going to achieve glasses-free 3D. Just something else to consider about 8K and beyond.

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D

Last edited by lbjack; 01-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.
post #10 of 75 Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
And we wonder why bluray and UHD doesn't become the leading format for sales. Casual consumers keep hearing about the next technology before they even get a chance to buy the current one.

They'll keep buying DVD's and use streaming.
Wtf? My fat ps3 with blu ray i purchased in 2006 November and its now 2019 right?
Thats 13 years.

Denon 4k avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k lg hu70la projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #11 of 75 Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post
Doesn't matter, you're seeing HDR and REC2020 (DCI only so far) which are much more significant than 4K.

I wonder if 8K will also bring something else than more resolution?
I think they are trying to push HFR at 60 and 120fps. Obviously this won't apply to existing content. But it gives broadcasters a chance to leapfrog 4K completely. Too bad we don't even have ATSC 3.0 in the US yet...
Russell Burrows likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #12 of 75 Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yedlin, Cinematographer Star Wars: The Last Jedi
This is my theme, that yes we do have to make camera and monitor pixels small enough that they can't be seen but once we achieve that goal then making them even smaller no longer has any appreciable perceptual effect for the audience; and other attributes become the chief or only players in the appearance of crispness and image quality.
In Part I, Steve states that pixel threshold has already been surpassed, that spatial fidelity cannot be quantified further solely by counting camera pixels because there are other attributes that play just as crucial a role such as noise, grain, halation and optical aberration. As evidence he demonstrates 6 cameras shooting from 3k up to large format film scanned at 11k; cameras including Arri 65, IMAX, Red Weapon, Sony F55. He grades the color so you can't tell them apart by color or contrast, just resolution, but he doesn't tell you which is which in part I.

In Part II, Steve performs various resolution demonstrations. In one, he takes a 4k frame grab, down samples it to 2k (throwing away pixels), then upscales it back to 4k and overlays it on top of the original native 4k image, and then toggles back and forth between the layers. He says that with pixel counts or "k's" as he calls them, people are looking for one single measure that represents image quality, that it cannot be.

Here is the link. It's worth watching.

http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS

Last edited by Tom Roper; 01-10-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #13 of 75 Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm at CES 2019 in Las vegas right now and only have enough time to share press releases. Here's the news on the new 8K association:

"Las Vegas - A group of the world’s leading display technology brands have come together at CES 2019 to form a new industry organization: The 8K Association (8KA). Founding companies for the 8KA include leading panel supplier AU Optronics (AUO) along with consumer electronics giants Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung Electronics and TCL Electronics. Panel supplier Samsung Display is also in the process of joining the 8KA. This international group of leaders recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to form the nonprofit organization to advance their common vision and mission.

Specific goals of the organization include:

· Promoting 8K TVs and 8K Content to consumers and professionals

· Helping educate consumers and professionals about the 8K ecosystem

· Helping secure 8K native content for members

· Encouraging service providers (especially OTT) to develop 8K offerings

· Facilitating communication within 8K ecosystem to help with commercialization

· Developing initial technical requirements for 8K input signals

· Developing initial 8K TV categories and minimum specifications for image quality

The organization will work on developing the entire value chain for 8K with an initial focus on supporting the early commercialization and adoption of 8K TVs. A web site for the organization with some additional information can be found at: www.8kassociation.com.

“The 8K Association will not only provide an effective introduction to 8K technology but will also accelerate the beginning of the 8K era,” said Hyogun Lee, Executive Vice President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “By leading the early stages of ecosystem development, Samsung will further solidify its global leadership in the 8K market.”

"8KA helps to accelerate the development of 8K eco-system and the popularization of 8K products,” said Dr. Weidong Liu, the chief scientist of Hisense Electronics. “Hisense will bring 8K ULED products to market and will provide consumers with excellent picture quality and extraordinary visual experiences.”

Building on the newly founded 8K Association and powered by major investments in the latest-generation large-screen 8K-ready panel production facilities, the newest of which enters production in early 2019, TCL will pave the way for an 8K era and actively encourage a wide range of business partners - from streaming services and hardware manufactures - to take the lead in making 8K widely available and accessible.

“The newly founded 8K Association will help drive the introduction of 8K technology in the North American and world market,” said Chris Larson, Senior Vice President of TCL North America. “TCL will become a global leader in 8K display technology and push our partners, both streaming services and manufacturers, to provide consumers with the best possible content in this emerging new market.”

“AUO has long been devoted to the development of advanced display technologies and was among the first to have introduced 8K technology to large-sized TV displays, said WeiLung Liau, CTO of AUO. “It is hoped that through the founding of 8K Association with partners of the ecosystem, globally consistent standards will be established to accelerate the adoption of 8K technology, delivering the best image performance possible for viewers worldwide.

"In Japan commercial 8K broadcasting via satellite was launched from 1st December 2018. Accordingly, we at Panasonic strongly expect that this Association will lead the 8K ecosystem creating both business opportunities and consumer benefits." said Michiko Ogawa, Executive Officer of Panasonic Corporation.” - 8K Association
Everyone is talking about 8K + HDMI 2.1
But no 12BIT color? 16BIT color?
Why is there no 4: 4: 4 12bit?

If there is an HDMI 2.1 chip on the motherboard TV
This means that the screens do not match the HDMI 2.1 color
HDMI 2.0 Screens
Actionable Mango likes this.
post #14 of 75 Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It's good to see them come together and set a uniform standard for 8K, the early adopters of 4K got a raw deal, but thats what happens when they release a product without a uniform standard.

I'd guess they will have the specs in place in 12-18months and we will see a 8KA standards at CES 2021

Just in time for a 8K 90+ inch screen for 2022 World Cup

Better start saving those coins

Denon X3200W
Bower & Wilkins HTM72 Centre, M1 & PV1 Sub
Samsung 2014 75 inch and Samsung 2018 NU8000 82 inch 4K
QED Speaker Cables and HDMI
post #15 of 75 Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn23 View Post
Just in time for a 8K 90+ inch screen for 2022 World Cup
I'll be the first to buy one!

I went recently from a 4.5m wide screen projection system to a measly 65" inch OLED TV, due to being in between houses, and even with such a difference in size, the difference in image quality more than makes for it.

Robert
post #16 of 75 Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
I think they are trying to push HFR at 60 and 120fps. Obviously this won't apply to existing content. But it gives broadcasters a chance to leapfrog 4K completely. Too bad we don't even have ATSC 3.0 in the US yet...
HFR at 60fps is already available on 4K UHD, just extremely rare as the only film I have come across is Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. The picture is fantastic.

Unless they are planning to implement 3D I don't see how 120Hz will improve anything and only waste bandwidth/storage space.
Actionable Mango likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #17 of 75 Old 01-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
And what HDCP version will be invented for this so we all have to buy new receivers and TV's/Projectors? </sarcasm>
post #18 of 75 Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
8k, A serious waste of money. Has OTA, cable or satellite caught up to this? We don't even have 4k content(ota/cable, possibly in the works) in fact some cable companies aren't even providing 1080P. I get better reception of HD OTA then cable. Do the streaming services have 8k??? Even if they do, you will be blowing your data cap very easily. Costing you big$$$$. People do you self a favor and enjoy what you have today for the next several years. CES 2019 was a big disappointment this year. I want to see tech that will benefit the elderly, the disabled and stroke survivor's that's affordable and possibly covered by insurance. I jut laugh when I hear. This 8l consortium is a joke to" push companies to deliver 8k broadcast. Remember it cost big dollars to upgrade infrastructure which equates it being trickled down to the end user.

"Las Vegas - A group of the world’s leading display technology brands have come together at CES 2019 to form a new industry organization: The 8K Association (8KA). Founding companies for the 8KA include leading panel supplier AU Optronics (AUO) along with consumer electronics giants Hisense, Panasonic, Samsung Electronics and TCL Electronics. Panel supplier Samsung Display is also in the process of joining the 8KA. This international group of leaders recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to form the nonprofit organization to advance their common vision and mission. Seriously?????
m_lesiu likes this.
post #19 of 75 Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They said about the same thing when the first HD airings started in Japan...
tenthplanet likes this.

Robert
post #20 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
HFR at 60fps is already available on 4K UHD, just extremely rare as the only film I have come across is Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. The picture is fantastic.

Unless they are planning to implement 3D I don't see how 120Hz will improve anything and only waste bandwidth/storage space.
It will reduce strobing/judder as well as (maybe less noticeably) motion blur.

Since EBU tests have shown viewers preferred 240 fps (2D) over 120 fps, even 120 fps (2D) won't really be enough (and the bigger the TV/more field of view it takes up - the more 100/120 fps and above will really be needed for reducing strobing/judder and motion blur).
See http://iptvseminar.com/documents/201...rharen-npo.pdf
tenthplanet likes this.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 01-16-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #21 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
It will reduce strobing/judder as well as (maybe less noticeably) motion blur.

Since EBU tests have shown viewers preferred 240 fps (2D) over 120 fps, even 120 fps (2D) won't really be enough (and the bigger the TV/more field of view it takes up - the more 100/120 fps and above will really be needed for reducing strobing/judder and motion blur).
See http://iptvseminar.com/documents/201...rharen-npo.pdf
I can't wait to see 8k at 240fps using OTA or cable. It will only require the same amount of bandwidth as 64-128 1080p HD channels...

Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #22 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
I can't wait to see 8k at 240fps using OTA or cable. It will only require the same amount of bandwidth as 64-128 1080p HD channels...
I don't think your calculations are correct and also advanced codecs like HEVC allow better compression than before. Higher frame rates with compressed video like HEVC don't require higher bandwidths in a simple way. Though they can increase bandwidth - though they could give better image quality without much increase to the bandwidth.

But 8K content and TVs will or should allow for changes to the techniques of TV production and cinema production. The resolution and size of the displays will mean you don't need pans as much (and pans can be slower - look at the CES demos of 8K) or cuts as much or as much camera movement, which will mean savings on bandwidth due to being more compressible.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 01-16-2019 at 06:51 AM.
post #23 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 433
scotttnz, blazar and dr_gallup like this.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #24 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just bought a 4k TV for my bedroom to supplement my 55" 3-gun CRT RPTV which, after calibrations, looks as good as it did when I bought it.......in 2004. Now it's 8K, and AFAIK 8k is not in any theaters yet. What they said was right about computers and phones, they become outdated once you buy them.

Not for nothing, but I wonder what people do with these big screens. I use them for movies, tv and roku. I know someone who has a big smart tv in every room of their home, including the kitchen.....and use them for social media only. They watch netflix, amazon and anything else on their phones and tablets.
post #25 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The way I see it the law of diminishing returns is starting to bite hard.
  • I was the first person I knew to buy a DVD player
  • First to get a 1080p TV
  • First with an HD DVD player
  • First with a Blu Ray player
  • Skipped 3D because I'm not a fan
  • Only got my first 4K TV 6 months ago when screens large enough to really benefit from it became affordable for me
  • No interest in 8K. Maybe one day when I can have a dedicated room with a huge screen?

I think we are getting to the limit in terms of screen sizes most normal people want in their homes. Many of my friends think I am crazy having an 82" TV in my living room. To see a benefit from 8K i'd have to go even bigger, and it won't fit.

I have seen some of the vendors talking up the other tech that goes along with 8K, but why not concentrate on those technologies with 4K rather than the resolution?
Tom Roper and Tim Glover like this.

My Lounge System
TV: Samsung 82” NU8000|Sources: AppleTV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB420|Receiver: Marantz SR6012 5.1.4
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 fronts, Wharfedale Diamond 8 centre, AudioPro C5 rears,
4x Polk V60 in-ceiling, Polk HTS12 Sub
post #26 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
I wonder if 8k is the end of the road since almost all applications will be covered at that resolution? I would presume that 8k is the 'final standard' for the next 20-30 years ... am I mistaken about that?

Blazar!
post #27 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I wonder if 8k is the end of the road since almost all applications will be covered at that resolution? I would presume that 8k is the 'final standard' for the next 20-30 years ... am I mistaken about that?
Well there is 16k and 32k just in case...

post #28 of 75 Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
And just like the HDMI organization/association - won't have any standards finalized for manufacturers for another 5 years...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #29 of 75 Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:

Other benefits of higher refresh rates that might not be as obvious on the surface: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57446288

It is the most neglected PQ parameter in the flat panel technology race.
post #30 of 75 Old 01-17-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Other benefits of higher refresh rates that might not be as obvious on the surface: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57446288

It is the most neglected PQ parameter in the flat panel technology race.
That is display refresh rate, not content refresh rate talked about there for all the picture corrections. It sounds like it is a per display auto correction discussed there. I don't think you want to receive a stream containing the fixes for my TV sent to yours...

So hi refresh rate is nothing new, there were/are LCD's running at 600Hz. What I'm talking about here is capturing video at 120Hz or more which is wasted unless the aim is to always have a crisp image if you click pause. Gaming PCs benefit from 120-240Hz but that is because there is no inherent motion blur as part of the rendering so seeing several images in the same "eye-capture" interval will let the brain produce the motion blur instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
8k association , 8k tv , ces 2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page