Samsung's 219" The Wall Dominates CES 2019 Coverage - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would be great to have all pluses from QLED and OLED worlds in microLED in one non-compromise screen :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like my NX7 may be the last projector I own.
post #33 of 38 Old 03-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCircle View Post
The technology that powers it is called microLED, which uses inorganic LEDs unlike the OLEDs. MicroLED's inorganic material (hypothetically) won't degrade over time or cause screen burn-in.
Micro-LED's inorganic material, practically, will degrade over time and receive screen burn-in.

This has been proven by millions of office LED-backlit LCD monitors that get visibly dimmer year over year. You place two just a year apart side by side, you'll never calibrate them to match. The LEDs used are the same kind.

With one-led-per-pixel, they will burn in, too. But inorganic LED are considerably slower to burn in, so it will be a lesser issue.

The tech is very good, but currently useless due to the lack of a mass production method for it - it's many days of pick-and-place machine work, vs. less than an hour of active processing for a modern LCD or OLED panel.
chunon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlaw83 View Post
Sweet. Will never fit in my house!
Time to move?
post #35 of 38 Old 06-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
This is really cool and exciting, but what I really want to know is how long the experts think it’ll take until normal people like me can afford the technology? Not talking about a 20 foot screen...something less than 100” is fine for me. I just want the direct LED technology. Are we talking 5 or 10 years out?
post #36 of 38 Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
Would be great to have all pluses from QLED and OLED worlds in microLED in one non-compromise screen :-)
From what I have seen and read about micro led it maybe the technology that ends oled. And make no mistake about it oled is on the way out no matter what you hear or are told. besides something always comes along that trumps the last great technology.
post #37 of 38 Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From what I understand about micro led ,like oleds there is no backlight, the leds turn on and off as needed. So black will be black. The main thing about these leds they will not made of organic materials like oled which means no burn in .Of course there is a lot of ''ifs'' until they hit the market, will see maybe next year. Yes the price will be up there like everything that's new, but we know the price falls in a few years .
post #38 of 38 Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvinelli View Post
From what I have seen and read about micro led it maybe the technology that ends oled. And make no mistake about it oled is on the way out no matter what you hear or are told. besides something always comes along that trumps the last great technology.
Regardless of if you prefer oleds pure blacks or leds pure brights i think we can all agree led technology has advanced much faster over the past 4 years than oled technology. So i agree, microled will be the end all, just a matter of time... now how long that time will be, I think is anyones guess at this point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
ces 2019 , Samsung , the wall

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page