Preorder Samsung Galaxy Note 10 / Note 10+ Now! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By MrGrey
  • 1 Post By hernanu
  • 1 Post By Brian Hampton
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By nx_2000
  • 4 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By TheSonyExperience
  • 1 Post By Brian Hampton
  • 2 Post By Nevada3
  • 1 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By Piker84

post #1 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Preorder Samsung Galaxy Note 10 / Note 10+ Now!

The Galaxy Note 10 ($949) and Note 10+ ($1099) are the latest flagship-class phones from Samsung. Both are AV powerhouses, but the note 10+ stands out for its full feature set and 6.8" screen. Notably, both phone models have eliminated the headphone jack.

Although these are cellphones, the multimedia capture and playback capabilities of these phones easily overlap AVS Forum topics like 4K video recording, plus AV audio playback.

As an incentive to preorder, Samsung is offering "up to $600 off with enhanced trade-in values and up to $150 in Samsung.com credit for select accessories and devices, plus 6 months of Spotify Premium."

Preorder Now

Of course, these new phones are able to capture 4K video. The Note 10 features three cameras on the rear panel: Telephoto, Wide and Ultra Wide. The Note 10+ adds a "DepthVision" camera to the mix allowing the Note10+ to offer robust Live Focus functionality including for videos. The more compact Note 10 relies on software to offer similar features. Plus, these phones have a "Zoom-In Mic" feature that focuses the sound capture on the subject.

Improvements in video capture include better image stabilization. You can also choose to focus on the subject and add bokeh to the background, just like with still photos. While the Note 10 relies on 256 GB of internal storage, the Note 10+ supports micro SD cards up to 1 TB, in addition to 256 GB and 512 GB internal storage options.

The Note 10's 6.3" AMOLED screen offers 2280 x 1080 resolution (401 ppi). The Note 10+ has the larger, higher resolution screen measuring 6.8" with 3040 x 1440 pixels (498 ppi).

On the audio side, the big deal here is that the headphone jack is no more. Instead you get USB-C earphones with the new Notes and a dongle for standard 3.5mm headphone jacks costs $10. If you typically plug your existing headphones right into your phone, you'll be using a dongle from now on (perhaps its time to go wireless?) or else you could opt for a pocket DAC.

The high pixel density of the Note 10+ promises improved VR experiences as well as ultra-sharp video playback. These state-of-the-art phones are available for preorder now!
sightsandsounds likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 6544
Almost perfect but that stupid hole in the screen ruined it.
also when did the 3.5mm headphone jack become a low end only feature?

post #3 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
I bought my OPPO PM-3 earphones for use at work. I've got a Note 8, have waited for a while for the 10/10+ to come out. I'll get the dongle, but it is inconvenient to have to spend more money for what is / should be a basic feature.

I guess defective sound is the wave of the future. No problem with wireless sound, since I have bluetooth headsets for working out. This just looks like finding an answer to an unasked question, and is probably just a copycat response to Apple's bad design choices.

Everything else looks good (will probably get the 10+), but I see the dumbing down of quality sound here.

Last edited by hernanu; 08-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
AV Powerhouse with an 6.8" screen.

Maybe something I could adjust to.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Liked: 2611
Why would anyone order either or those turds? Step down from even my S9+. Biggest hard pass is the in screen fingerprint reader. A "feature" that no one wanted or asked for. The scanner on the back was perfect.

If I stay with Android it looks like the Pixel 4XL is the only viable option around, if the face ID works as well as Apple and I can get wifi calling with At&t to work.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #6 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
"AV powerhouse"

no headphone jack
About that...
post #7 of 22 Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx_2000 View Post
About that...
That's kinda petty, eh?

I mean, I like a 3.5mm jack as much as the next headphones addict, but I can handle the idea of using a dongle, or better yet a portable amp or DAC.

Actually, I'm full of it. As long as cordless headphones sound good, I want nothing to do with corded headphones anymore. And to my ears, the latest/greatest Bluetooth headphones work for me.

Anyhow, the real focus here is (no pun intended) the capture capabilities of these phones. Cameras, mics, stabilization, HDR 4K recording. Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Not a headphone jack.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
I was considering the the Note 10, but it has no SD card slot anymore, one has to get the 10+ for $1099, to get that feature, ahh not a chance.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #9 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Definitely upgrading to the Note 10+. They really watered down the core Note for sure. Not much of a reason to get that phone to be honest. I'm excited!

Spoiler!
post #10 of 22 Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
That's kinda petty, eh?

Actually, I'm full of it. As long as cordless headphones sound good, I want nothing to do with corded headphones anymore. And to my ears, the latest/greatest Bluetooth headphones work for me.

Anyhow, the real focus here is (no pun intended) the capture capabilities of these phones. Cameras, mics, stabilization, HDR 4K recording. Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Not a headphone jack.
I listen to blue tooth headphones a lot. Everyday at the track when I walk for 2 miles I have my AirPods.

It's still very refreshing to hear audio done better though. Most audio was recorded at a higher quality then consumed at. Which is sort of sad.

-Brian
post #11 of 22 Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Definitely upgrading to the Note 10+. They really watered down the core Note for sure. Not much of a reason to get that phone to be honest. I'm excited!
I agree, they are definitely selling me on the 10+ versus the 10. If the lack of features on the 10 was part of the marketing/pricing plan to get people to pay more, it worked on me.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada3 View Post
I agree, they are definitely selling me on the 10+ versus the 10. If the lack of features on the 10 was part of the marketing/pricing plan to get people to pay more, it worked on me.
You are right but in the end, I win since I am switching carriers and doing a trade in so I'm getting a lot of money off plus all the pre-order bonuses. Got to try the phone out for myself too. Can't wait.

Spoiler!
post #13 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx_2000 View Post
About that...
"No headphone jack,,,," To save space to make them smaller and more expensive ?
post #14 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I was considering the the Note 10, but it has no SD card slot anymore, one has to get the 10+ for $1099, to get that feature, ahh not a chance.
Seems like they want everyone to watch from the Clouds,,,,
post #15 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightsandsounds View Post
Seems like they want everyone to watch from the Clouds,,,,
it's mostly for music for me, I have 250gb worth of lossless music on my SD card, and even though I have Tidal as well, there are sometimes places I can't get service or decent speed still. Also it has my app/setting/contacts backups, so transferring this card to a new phone would also transform it to how it things looks and works on my current phone, without doing it manually. Saves a ton of time..... oh well.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #16 of 22 Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I walked into Best Buy on Friday and loved the look of the Note 10 Plus so much (especially the Aura Blue color) that I decided to pre-order one. My mistake two years ago was buying the Note 8, though not a bad phone at all, I ended up selling it two months after and getting the Pixel 2 XL, which I think is a much better phone.

My concern is that I will end up doing the same thing here. The "bezel-less" design with its curved edges has me a bit worried as reviews have stated they've had more phantom touches than they'd like. There's supposedly already an update planned to be out by launch that is supposed to improve screen response, camera quality, fingerprint sensor sensitivity, as well as include the August security updates. I will give this phone a shot, but I'm still curious about how much better the Pixel 4 XL's camera will be. That and the 90hz refresh rate on the screen would be cool. Gosh I'm so torn on these two phones.

The biggest upside to me on the Note 10+ is the new, much improved memory speed, which should greatly decrease the loading and installation times on apps/games, and the super fast charging technology. Being able to charge this phone much faster than I'm used to doing now will be very nice. Especially since my fiance has a habit of unplugging my phone soon after it starts charging so she can charge hers.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 PM

My hands on experience with the phone was great. Excited to get into the details with this phone and the launch August update is inspiring, seeing as they are taking care of the devices key features (Fingerprint scanner, camera, security, ect.) by the time we get to it. Overall, my main concerns are as follows. (Note 10 Plus.)

- Curved Screen

I've never liked the curved screen on anything but it is especially frustrating on a phone. I've put up with it in the Samsung flagship devices, like the Note series, because I believe that overall they still over the most options and the most powerful hardware. While the curved screen may be more ergonomic, it's a double edged sword, as the phone will punish you with non responsive touches. Note phones may be huge, but sometimes I want to hold the phone one handed while laying in bed and a curved screen largely prevents that.

- Awkward Buttons

Having the power button moved to the left side of the phone is strange coming from a right handed person. Not only that but the power and volume buttons are raised higher up on the left side, so it can't be used without adjustment. Unless you hands are just really really large. But the good news is that these buttons can be remapped.

- No 45w Charger Included

Why? It's one of the biggest features in the Note 10 phones and it doesn't even include the charger for the new fast charging. I would have much preferred them to keep the USB C AKG headphones in place of giving us this charging brick and cable. Mind you, they are hard to find seeing as only a select few actually support the 45w charging. Underwhelming loss for an $1100 phone.

These are just my three major gripes so far on a overall still amazing phone. Samsung obviously wanted to appeal to another market with the core Note 10 but simultaneously insults our intelligence by not calling these phones what they really are. The Galaxy Note 10e and the Galaxy Note 10. Either way, these seems to be a promising phone for any true Note fan or anyone looking for a powerhouse phone full of features and is looking to upgrade after a few years. The Note 10 and Note 10 Plus aren't going to be a cost effective upgrade for present owners of a 8 or 9 series phone. Unless they don't mind paying extra for select new features. All in all, I'm still very excited to receive mine and I'm upgrading from a Note 8. I'm a big fan of the series. Roll on August 23, 2019.

Spoiler!
post #18 of 22 Old 08-27-2019, 10:45 AM

I picked up my Note 10+ on Friday and used it all weekend. The screen is absolutely amazing, and even though I've been appalled by all the notch and camera punch-out designs on phones up until now, the Note 10+ punch hole really doesn't bother me like I thought it would. As reviews have stated, Samsung made the front camera punch-out smaller than the one on the Galaxy S10 devices, and being centered it's more aesthetically pleasing to me, since I love symmetry. I actually enjoy playing games on my phone again thanks to the size and quality of the screen. It's strange to me that going from a 6.0" to a 6.8" screen makes such an immersive difference, but it certainly does. This is literally as big as a phone screen can get before they plunge right into tablet sizes... since 7" tablets already exist. Yet with it's extremely slim bezel's it still works as a phone. That said, this phone isn't one you can use with one hand, at least not easily. I'm a big guy with large hands (often can't find gloves that fit me) and I still have a hard time using this phone with one hand.

The audio quality of the speakers has been significantly improved over previous iterations of Galaxy phones. That was always the weakest point to me on the Samsung devices. Not so on the Note 10+... and with Dolby Atmos enabled this thing creates some true separation between right & left channels. It's quite amazing to think this phone has better audio than my Pixel 2 XL does with its front firing stereo speakers. Props to Samsung on this improvement.

The battery really does last a long time. Of course any time you go with a phone for a couple of years and then step up to a new one you're going to notice an improvement simply due to the aging battery not lasting as long on your old device. I still feel much more comfortable using this phone as much as I want, and that's largely due to the significantly improved battery charging rate. I can plug the phone in for about 10 mins just a couple of times a day and get by just fine with moderate phone usage. Reviews state a complete 0 - 100% charge only takes 65 mins with the included 25w fast-charger, and there's an even faster 45w charger that will be available within a couple weeks. I honestly don't think I'll need it, but if you need a second charger then you might as well pick up the best one. I will so I can have a better charger at work, as charging via USB type C on my laptop is still very slow on the Note 10+. It's very nice not having to keep your phone tethered to an outlet for any real length of time.

So those were the things I loved about the Note 10+, and now for the rest. The Samsung One UI, I still don't like as much as Google's launcher. I will probably be installing a stock Android APK to give me a stock launcher look and feel. I already changed the Samsung app defaults of the messaging, phone, and clock to the Android variants. GBoard is so much better than Samsung's. It actually shows you entire text message without having to click in to view a long message. Not sure why that's even a thing in 2019, but it's there on Samsung's keyboard. The factory wallpaper's on the Note 10+ are mostly garbage rehashes and nothing really stands out. I'll be hunting for something better. My quest to make the look and feel of the Note 10+ appear as stock Android will take some time, but it's something I feel is necessary. The only thing I like that Samsung does better than Google is the Gallery. Samsung has nailed this perfectly. They organize by date and location on all of your pictures and videos. I love that video's have an GIF looking appearance to let you know instantly that it's a video. One other thing I am going to try and do is to transfer all my Pixel's notification sounds and ringtones over to my Note 10+ because I think Google has much better factory sounds to choose from.

The new S Pen has added motion gestures, but I haven't delved into those at all, nor do I honestly have a desire to. I prefer to use the pen to take notes, capture screenshots, or to occasionally draw/color. My favorite new feature is the ability to take a photo by clicking the S Pen button. That makes taking selfies with your friends or significant other all the more easy, as you don't have to press the camera button on screen while holding the phone awkwardly.

In conclusion (TLDR) I think the screen is near perfection, the sound quality has vastly improved, and this phone charges wicked fast. If you're already used to Samsung's UI or any other non-stock Android skin/OS then you'll love everything this phone has to offer. If you prefer the stock Android experience, know that it can be done, and IMO improves the experience. Right now I would rate the phone an 8.5/10 and if it wasn't for having to change all the default apps it would probably be a 9.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 AM

As much as I liked the screen and charging speed of the Note 10+, it wasn't enough to persuade me to keep the phone. I love stock Android way too much, and the overall experience I get with my Pixel 2 XL still reigns supreme to me. I will be returning the Note today and waiting to see what the Pixel 4 XL is like. On September 3 Google will officially release Android 10 to supported devices, and I am looking forward to trying that out. Surprisingly, even the original Pixel is getting that update, despite Google only promising 2 years of OS updates, so kudos to Google on that.

Before I factory reset the Note 10+ I did run the 3DMark benchmark on it, and it received the highest score of any phone out, worldwide. The 12GB of RAM really helps bring it to another level, and the vapor-chamber cooling likely keeps this phone running fast without underclocking. No one had run this benchmark yet on the Note 10+, so my submitted results should be out there now. It's definitely the best phone out there to play games on.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-31-2019, 02:05 AM

Been loving this more than I expected really. Easily the best hardware out there. Software is another story. But also why I love Android. I use Nova Launcher and Good Lock apps to completely overhaul my phone. I use GBoard and the Textra app and I now have that power alongside the customization.

Only major gripes has been the power button placement and the phone weight. It is a bit heavy. But the battery life is stupid good and I can't enough of the gorgeous display.
imagic likes this.

Spoiler!
post #21 of 22 Old 10-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No headphone jack is disappointing
post #22 of 22 Old 10-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I didn't know that. My wife was looking to upgrade and was going to go with the the 10. She may change her mind after I tell her this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
note 10 , note 10+ , samsung galaxy note 10

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page