Amazon HD Music Streaming Service Launched Today - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #151 of 154 Old 11-28-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Amazon Music Unlimited HD is a four or five dollar a month add-on to the normal Music Unlimited.

It has apps for Windows and I assume Macs, for Android and I assume iOs, and the Fire TVs. The HD version is not yet on the Rokus.

The music is badged as "SD" (mp3), "HD" (16/44.1 - standard CD), or "Ultra HD" (24/48 or 24/96). If you click on the badge while the music is playing, you get a pop-up saying what it is, what it thinks your player can handle, and what it's streaming to you.

While I can set my PC's soundcard to let me get 24/96, my Android phone gets 24/48, and the Fire TVs get 16/48 - even when plugged into AV receivers that can handle 24/192! Also, the Fire TV has to have its Audio set to Stereo to get even that. If you leave it in the default DD+, you'll get SD.

And even if it's playing on your PC in 24/96, purchased downloads are only mp3s. I spent four hours in a chat with tech support there last night until they kicked it up to higher level techs who confirmed that - even though the PC app's Advanced Settings allows for up to Ultra HD downloads, and their FAQ quotes file sizes for all three qualities of downloads.

Of course, the only way to know that the downloaded files are mp3s is to look at them in your computer's file manager - the app will never tell you!
My 90 day trial is expiring soon and I've pretty much decided to switch to Qobuz or Tidal. Amazon's pricing was very attractive but Qobuz dropped their price and Tidal has some great promotions right now. Amazon sound quality is noticeably inferior to my ears.
Soundizer17 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 154 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Even the basic service is pretty good, with both video and audio included as part of the Amazon Prime subscription.
post #153 of 154 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Even the basic service is pretty good, with both video and audio included as part of the Amazon Prime subscription.
How is the library these days with the Basic plan that is included with Prime? I subscribed to Unlimited since almost all the songs I was interested in weren't available with the Basic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 154 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by threshold350 View Post
How is the library these days with the Basic plan that is included with Prime? I subscribed to Unlimited since almost all the songs I was interested in weren't available with the Basic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
There were a few songs missing for me. But I was able to put together a play list of about 400 songs that give me a rotation that I am very pleased with. Of course I am mostly a fan of classic rock, new wave and pop from back in the day. If you are into all the current music hits, then the list of songs that available under the basic plan for what you want might be a bit more spotty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page