• 1 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 468 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9496 Post(s)
Liked: 16856
April Fools Day Cancelled

This is no joke. The events of 2020 have made April Fools Day tradition an undesirable distraction and numerous major corporations have announced that this year they are not attempting any pranks.

When Google announced it was cancelling its April Fool's Day activities, I had already written an April Fools Day post where the peg was the cancellation of April Fool's Day.

Now is not the time for pranks. But it is a good time to take advantage of home entertainment, so that you can maintain best social distancing practices while battling boredom. Please stay healthy.

Anyhow, here's what would have been the post... now presented as a historical artifact:

----------

(The following is satire)

Breaking: The National April Fools Day Commission has announced the cancellation of April Fools Day. Please stay tuned for instructions on how to take everything seriously.

16K Right Away

In other news, because the Tokyo Olympics are delayed a year, the TV industry has decided to skip past 8K and go with 16K right away. Furthermore, you will be able to print your own 16K OLED TVs using the latest model inkjet printers. A rolling version that doubles as a window blind will be available at IKEA.

Apple Beats Me iAudiophile

Apple has announced the new "Beats Me iAudiophile" headphones. Don't ask how much they cost, nobody knows... if you go to an Apple Store and ask a Genius how much they cost, they will tell you "Beats Me" and shrug.

Because they utilize audiophile-grade quantum internal wiring, the mystery MSRP is said to be so high that nobody dares to ask Tim Cooke what it is. The only pair know to exist are designed to sound perfect when playing Wu-Tang's album "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin."

NASA: Audiophile Power Cord Reveals Big Bang

NASA reports that by swapping the power cords on its telescopes with audiophile versions, it can now receive communications from aliens as well as see into other other dimensions. The space agency's AI quantum computer reports that it "can't believe what a huge difference an audiophile power cord makes, now I know I am not alone in the universe." Improved temporal resolution means it's now possible to directly observe the Big Bang.

NASA says it's next upgrade will probably be an audiophile fuse.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 7196
fatuglyguy likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 217
It's always "April Fools Day" somewhere on the Internet. If we believe enough of what we read, we are January Fools all the way through to being December Fools.
charmerci, Jozape and DrDon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
It's always "April Fools Day" somewhere on the Internet. If we believe enough of what we read, we are January Fools all the way through to being December Fools.

everytime i watch the news or read the news on line it feels like april fool’s day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tenthplanet and BP1Fanatic like this.

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/SR9040 surround left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #5 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Boo... at times like these we need some levity to escape. As long as we aren't joking about the crisis itself, I say go for it. So "Toilet paper cures COVID" is out. JVC announces lampless projectors to achieve perfect blacks and 0 Lumens" is in.

I am DanLW.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
post #6 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
Boo... at times like these we need some levity to escape. As long as we aren't joking about the crisis itself, I say go for it. So "Toilet paper cures COVID" is out. JVC announces lampless projectors to achieve perfect blacks and 0 Lumens" is in.
Oh yeah? Well... you've watched phone technology advance over the years and you knew much was possible. But you probably never expected to see True HTiP (True Home Theater in Pocket) tech make it into a phone.

With True HTiP, you need only place your cellphone on a coffee table or credenza (in UST mode) and you'll enjoy a theatrical-quality HDR presentation.

True HTiP merges a built-in laser projection system and 17.4.20 3D immersive audio "reflected sound" speakers so you can dispense with your space-hogging AVR and speaker system. It even has a built-in subwoofer.

You and your friends will enjoy cinema like it used to be, back when there were movie theaters. All you need is a True HTiP capable phone, a $15 bucket of popcorn and a $10 cup of soda to get the full experience.
tenthplanet and KenM10759 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-01-2020 at 07:09 AM.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 304
April fool's day has become a bad joke that allows billion dollar corporations to cynically promote their products to a bread and circuses distracted dumb public.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #8 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
April fool's day has become a bad joke that allows billion dollar corporations to cynically promote their products to a bread and circuses distracted dumb public.
I only got one single corporate AFD pitch in my email this year. Almost everybody understands that it's played out and contextually inappropriate.

Speaking to your point, I read this article yesterday on slate.com that hammered it home: "At Least the Pandemic Will Kill Corporate April Fools’ Jokes"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
I was thinking they would introduce the social distance app, which would be installed on a persons mobile device and generate a warning anytime anyone comes within 6 feet of our location...
post #10 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 4019
No exception?

Stay safe.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #11 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Let them shoot themselves in feet. I noted Google degrading rank of websites posting virus warnings dramatically because it is unrelated to the business nature, hence considered as a spam. I also unsubscribe and report emails with virus scare as spam.
post #12 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
April Fools

When I hear some governors or higher telling people to do business as usual I wish those saying it were just April Fools. When I hear 'ministers' and the like (pick your religion) telling their faithful that your faith will protect you, or that COVID 19 is a hoax, I hope yet again they are just April fools. When I see eateries still packing in diners in close quarters...

When I heard that our nation's top leaders knew as long ago as December - or earlier, that we had to shutdown many things ASAP or risk a huge number of deaths, I feel sick. Because fools with power are incredibly scary. In the end, I feel like the American people are April Fools.
Panson and Easyaspie like this.

Ron
post #13 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
post #14 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2558 Post(s)
Liked: 4260
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelrode View Post
This was published today...

https://youtu.be/IjYDY0oF2Ks
I hear Dr. Lirpa, of Lirpa Labs is suing for patent infringement.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #15 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So what about that announcement that Samsung was getting out of the LCD market completely?
post #16 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
This is no joke. The events of 2020 have made April Fools Day tradition an undesirable distraction and numerous major corporations have announced that this year they are not attempting any pranks.

When Google announced it was cancelling its April Fool's Day activities, I had already written an April Fools Day post where the peg was the cancellation of April Fool's Day.

Now is not the time for pranks. But it is a good time to take advantage of home entertainment, so that you can maintain best social distancing practices while battling boredom. Please stay healthy.

Anyhow, here's what would have been the post... now presented as a historical artifact:

----------

(The following is satire)

Breaking: The National April Fools Day Commission has announced the cancellation of April Fools Day. Please stay tuned for instructions on how to take everything seriously.

16K Right Away

In other news, because the Tokyo Olympics are delayed a year, the TV industry has decided to skip past 8K and go with 16K right away. Furthermore, you will be able to print your own 16K OLED TVs using the latest model inkjet printers. A rolling version that doubles as a window blind will be available at IKEA.

Apple Beats Me iAudiophile

Apple has announced the new "Beats Me iAudiophile" headphones. Don't ask how much they cost, nobody knows... if you go to an Apple Store and ask a Genius how much they cost, they will tell you "Beats Me" and shrug.

Because they utilize audiophile-grade quantum internal wiring, the mystery MSRP is said to be so high that nobody dares to ask Tim Cooke what it is. The only pair know to exist are designed to sound perfect when playing Wu-Tang's album "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin."

NASA: Audiophile Power Cord Reveals Big Bang

NASA reports that by swapping the power cords on its telescopes with audiophile versions, it can now receive communications from aliens as well as see into other other dimensions. The space agency's AI quantum computer reports that it "can't believe what a huge difference an audiophile power cord makes, now I know I am not alone in the universe." Improved temporal resolution means it's now possible to directly observe the Big Bang.

NASA says it's next upgrade will probably be an audiophile fuse.
Can we cancel it permanently? It's so lame.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 193
This is lame. I mean if there was an AFD it was over many hours ago by now, but jokes and lightheartedness should not have been "cancelled" by people who want to stay miserable about COVID, etc. It's not nuclear world war or the end of times here, it's a fairly weak virus that just happens to be highly contagious.

Oh well, I'm sure there were at least some jokes made.
post #18 of 30 Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 357
So I can't post that...

A couple died of covid-19 because the EMT's couldn't get into their apartment since it was filled with toilet paper rolls.

post #19 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
This is lame. I mean if there was an AFD it was over many hours ago by now, but jokes and lightheartedness should not have been "cancelled" by people who want to stay miserable about COVID, etc. It's not nuclear world war or the end of times here, it's a fairly weak virus that just happens to be highly contagious.

Oh well, I'm sure there were at least some jokes made.
Yeah well... Maybe you are in be mood for prankish humor but most people today were not. Maybe they are just "media fatigued" Or it could be because they may have lost a job or a loved one to this "weak virus" that has shut down the world and killed tens of thousands already... and is just getting started.

There is no excuse to not take Coronavirus deadly seriously.

Anyhow, as to "were there a few corporate audio or AV related AFD pranks out there?" Yes. But, I only got one such pitch in my email, and most folks seem agree that not running such a thing was the right move.
Easyaspie likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-02-2020 at 12:22 AM.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
It's April Fools Day every day for the state-sponsored troll farms that are dedicated to using any and all issues to divide the public and cause citizens to turn on each other and diminish the strength of otherwise united countries. The latest trick they are playing on the unwary is using social media to promote distrust of vaccines so that when a vaccine is eventually developed for the coronavirus we will all fight each other over whether or not we should all be vaccinated.

This is not a joke. Regardless of our legitimate differences on various issues what we have in common must remain greater than what divides us.
Easyaspie likes this.
post #21 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Oh yeah? Well... you've watched phone technology advance over the years and you knew much was possible. But you probably never expected to see True HTiP (True Home Theater in Pocket) tech make it into a phone.
Copyright that before someone else does. What did P.T. Barnum say about one being born every minute? Throw it on Kickstarter and you could be rich...
tenthplanet, imagic and Blitzdog like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite.

BTW, did you really need to quote the entire post?
post #22 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It's April Fools Day every day for the state-sponsored troll farms that are dedicated to using any and all issues to divide the public and cause citizens to turn on each other and diminish the strength of otherwise united countries. The latest trick they are playing on the unwary is using social media to promote distrust of vaccines so that when a vaccine is eventually developed for the coronavirus we will all fight each other over whether or not we should all be vaccinated.

This is not a joke. Regardless of our legitimate differences on various issues what we have in common must remain greater than what divides us.
I spend a fair amount of time on youtube and can be drawn into the comments section like a moth to a dooming flame (I do not recommend it to anyone if you want to retain some semblance of faith in humanity).

I have become conscious of the real possibility that some of the more outrageously unreasonable comments I encounter may in fact be one of many foreign fake troll accounts only there to churn up discord and paranoia. And besides, the alternative is too depressing to contemplate, i.e., that these are actual citizens and their actual beliefs.
imagic and Dave in Green like this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #23 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassvogel42 View Post
So what about that announcement that Samsung was getting out of the LCD market completely?
Yeah, where is the news story on this?

Proud Galactic Imperialist
post #24 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassvogel42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
Yeah, where is the news story on this?

Update - Samsung Electronics noted that the news comes from Samsung Display, not from them. And Samsung Electronics has this to say: "We have a diversified supplier base, therefore we expect no impact on our production. Samsung takes product quality and customer satisfaction very seriously, and is committed to providing the best viewing experience to our customers"

So no, Samsung (the TV maker) is not getting out of the LCD TV market, even if Samsung Display is.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-02-2020 at 11:53 AM.
post #25 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Talking

Great thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_73561.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2704878  
tenthplanet likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #26 of 30 Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Can we uninstall 2020 and reinstall it! I think it has a virus! 😆
post #27 of 30 Old 04-05-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2558 Post(s)
Liked: 4260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Can we uninstall 2020 and reinstall it! I think it has a virus! 😆
Let's just restart it in safe mode for now.
JimWilson likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #28 of 30 Old 04-06-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Let's just restart it in safe mode for now.
I'll go for a "wipe" from 2016 onward.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #29 of 30 Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rotflmao!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #30 of 30 Old 04-06-2020, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd be curious to know how many people regret voting for him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page